Melbourne Football

***Help Keep the Red & White***

FB.

Happy now boys?  You all jumped up and down with excitement when the club was sold..

Did you really expect anything different?

This is a business deal.  They are not here to represent Melbourne, they are representing their own interests and enough bandwagon morons will probably help with that. Anything to win right?

In the meantime, we are losing our club..  Totally...

The old board have alot to answer for as well..

Reality of the situation.....the club was going to fail spectacularly and be shut down if new ownership didn't come in. This needed to happen. Whatever happens from here for the sake of the credibility of the aleague and football in this country at least we won't see another club fail anytime soon.

Agreed. Regardless of the direction that this now inevitably looks to be taking, I'm happier now than I was around Christmas/New Year time.

Would Foxtel have an interest in this? After all when they broadcast the matches between Heart and Sydney then the spectators will all be wearing sky blue and would that make great viewing?

The contrast in the crowd looks nice when it occurs, but it's never been an issue in football leagues around the world, or even in our local sporting leagues, when rivals with similar colours, like Collingwood and Carlton, are playing.

Would Foxtel have an interest in this? After all when they broadcast the matches between Heart and Sydney then the spectators will all be wearing sky blue and would that make great viewing?

The contrast in the crowd looks nice when it occurs, but it's never been an issue in football leagues around the world, or even in our local sporting leagues, when rivals with similar colours, like Collingwood Geelong and Carlton, are playing.

The thing is it's not just a question of our not wanting to lose the red and white. Two sky blue teams in such a small comp and two blue teams in Melbourne is just dumb.

There is no getting away from the fact that in this marketplace sky blue = just one thing, NEW SOUTH WALES.  The century plus of tradition In Australia cannot be overturned just because some team on the other side of the world happened to have the same colour.

Not realising that shows a shocking lack of due diligence. yes and I hate the Waratahs ( the original sky blues) I am pretty sure the original Sky Blues in Australia were the Sky Blues (Now the Blues) of Australian Domestic Cricket.

(Who are were founded 24 years prior to Manchester City as well FWIW.)

Yet all of the above means very little on the global branding scale is they care more about world wide exposure then local market acceptance.

I guess looking back on it, red and white stripes as the away kit was always the likely scenario (and one which I'll accept, though, like most on here, I'll only be wearing red and white next season), but realistically, as long as one of the kits was sky blue, I'm not sure why it should matter to them so much. People are kidding themselves if they think our friends in Manchester and New York are going to start living and dying with the team's fortunes, buy the club merchandise etc. Just do the 'we're global' promo pic in the sky blue (away) kit next to players from NYC and ManC and then wear the traditional stripes at home. I know that's not how most billionaires think, but it seems like a reasonable compromise to me, since at the end of the day, we're the only ones (besides Sydney FC) who really give a stuff what we wear on match days.

One thing I will say is that they're alienating a lot of people who feel more strongly about it than I do. They'd want to be successful in 2014/15. If they dish up the same old shit on the field next year, there's little doubt that will be the tipping point.

• Like 3

The thing that bugs me is that sky blue for the owners only came about because they bought Man City.  If they'd bought out Liverpool. they'd be in red.  Other than that, sky blue has zero significance for the owners themselves. 

They are banking on playing good quality and winning football to bring in the crowds.  Since they can't simply go and a buy a squad as in the EPL, what if next season the winning football doesn't happen? 

Further where do they think the new fans will come from?  Has anyone told them they're up against the fourth most attended sporting league IN THE WORLD with over 150 years of history, in a city of JUST 4 MILLION?

• Like 1

Just because one or both of our kits are blue doesn't mean we can't wear red as the supporter group.

I lost 5 kg's during the course of the season, so my top fits better than ever.

Wouldn't it piss them off if they sold more red and white strips than sky blue?

The contrast in the crowd looks nice when it occurs, but it's never been an issue in football leagues around the world, or even in our local sporting leagues, when rivals with similar colours, like Collingwood Geelong and Carlton, are playing.

I get what you're saying, but I figured that two clubs with very similar colours that are close to the biggest/oldest rivals going around would be a better example than two clubs with identical colours that don't really have a rivalry.

Don't think they'd care about away supporters, because there aren't that many. It's more that in promos/highlights packages you'd have two sky blue teams playing which the casual viewer might not realise are separate teams... still I don't think Foxtel cares if someone see us score a great goal and thinks 'gee Sydney is going alright'.

Cadete at work and for some reason the quote button doesn't work

Am sorry but I don't believe that Sky Blue is a foregone conclusion for the home strip. I understand what the piece has said in the newspaper, but I am inclined to give more weight to what was said at the meeting.

It's clear to me by mentioning the campaign to keep the Red & White that they have been watching events carefully. Therefore if they did believe that moving to Sky Blue wouldn't be a problem before, I am sure they have been given food for thought after the campaign.

Am sorry but I don't believe that Sky Blue is a foregone conclusion for the home strip. I understand what the piece has said in the newspaper, but I am inclined to give more weight to what was said at the meeting.

It's clear to me by mentioning the campaign to keep the Red & White that they have been watching events carefully. Therefore if they did believe that moving to Sky Blue wouldn't be a problem before, I am sure they have been given food for thought after the campaign.

Well I hope you're right.

You need to understand though that this forum has been full of people saying "oh don't worry that'll never happen" and "why are you protesting, they won't be that stupid", whilst in the background the Sky Blue momentum has grown and grown.  So far we've seen our club name go under bus and I guess we are sitting back and thinking - bugger maybe we should have manned the barricades on day one against these guys- they don't seem to be the football wise gentleman we were led to believe.

Apart from a few nice words all the other evidence points to an act of total football bastardry.

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity to the man city supporters on this page, when or if you have had a campaign similar to the keep the red and white one, what has the city groups response been like and have they listened to you?

They have just had the club since 2008.. But no, we have never had any reason to start a campaign aimed at the board, not since the siege of Maine Road 1996

Stone-throwing Manchester City fans called for chairman Francis Lee's head last night.

About five hundred MCFC fans held a demonstration outside Maine Road immediately after City's shock defeat. Mounted police were called in as fans chanted: "Sack the board" and "Lee out."

They demanded to know why the chairman's promised cash had not materialised. Then they hurled missiles at the windows above the Maine Road entrance. It was the first protest that Lee has had to face in his 33 months in charge.

• Like 1

You need to understand though that this forum has been full of people saying "oh don't worry that'll never happen" and "why are you protesting, they won't be that stupid", whilst in the background the Sky Blue momentum has grown and grown.  So far we've seen our club name go under bus and I guess we are sitting back and thinking - bugger maybe we should have manned the barricades on day one against these guys- they don't seem to be the football wise gentleman we were led to believe.

Apart from a few nice words all the other evidence points to an act of total football bastardry.

I am curious as to what evidence you have seen?

I have seen none, merely speculation from the media.

the comment sentiment seems based on sydney/scott barlow's comments about complaining to the FFA. whether that is justifiable evidence depends on who told scott barlow.

the comment sentiment seems based on sydney/scott barlow's comments about complaining to the FFA. whether that is justifiable evidence depends on who told scott barlow.

Barlow wouldn't be lodging an official complaint unless he had a reason, that's my logic.  

Also I guess even though the Man City boys "don't do business through the media" I am a believer that "there is no smoke without fire".  Way too much speculation on this for it to be nothing.

In addition the club have been very careful in what they have said.  They haven't said anything that commits them specifically to red and white at home or a heart on the shorts (or whatever).  I don't care what they do with the badge but red and white at home is my point of final retreat (and I don't mean red, white and blue, I mean red and white vertical stripes).  I'll even roll over for sky blue away from home (as a Queenslander you must understand this is a HUGE concession).  Now maybe they will keep Melbourne colours at home and adopt NSW colours away from home, but if this is the plan why not guarantee our colours at home to the fans?  Maybe there is a good reason, but I haven't seen it.  

Every time these guys say something i think "I like your style", but they simply haven't committed on our colours at home and its killing me.

The media definitely seems to think there's no reason not to change our colours and seems more concerned with what Sydney FC thinks than us, the fans:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/apr/17/sydney-fc-melbourne-heart-kit-change

Sydney FC need to relax over Melbourne Heart's sky blue thinking

In the bigger scheme of things, raising a shirt to the level of sanctity makes as much sense as worshipping a golden calf

Scott Barlow is not happy. The chairman of Sydney FC has formally protested to the heads of Australian football. There are rumours he’ll camp outside their offices until justice is done. The problem? Melbourne Heart were bought by the owners of Manchester City. There is a proposal that they will become Melbourne City. The owners want their clubs to match. Manchester City wear sky blue. So do Sydney FC.

"Sky blue is much more than just a colour for Sydney FC, it's central to our identity,” Barlow said. "We're extremely concerned about the proposed use of sky blue by Melbourne Heart, and we've made our concerns very clear to the FFA.”

Scott. Friend. Perhaps the relentlessly beautiful weather in your town has brought on a state of lotus-eating confusion. Perhaps it’s the stress of helming such a prestige club. This is Sydney FC, after all, a name spoken reverently in every corner of the Asian Football Confederation. In the pre-dawn dark on the Mongolian steppes, a young boy pulls on his Terry McFlynn shirt before knocking the morning ice from his yurt. Coffee shops in Tashkent thrill to animated retellings of Richard Garcia’s sealer against the despised Perth Glory. With great power comes great responsibility, and responsibility weighs heavy. In a way, Scott, you are Phar Lap, dragging 10 stone around Flemington in the Melbourne Cup, and none of us want you to die in Mexico in suspicious circumstances during the 1930s.

“Sydney Football Club.” Elegant in its simplicity, it tells you everything you need to know. They play football. They are from Sydney. But we must concede, even a global powerhouse cannot claim ownership of a hue. It is hard to trademark a point on the visible spectrum at which light of a highly specific wavelength is scattered more liberally than its fellows.

“Sky blue represents our club, our harbour city and is the traditional colour of New South Wales,” said Barlow, forgetting, as people from Sydney are inclined to do, that Sydney and New South Wales are not in fact the same thing. Sky blue also represents Uruguay. It represents Napoli. It represents Ballymena FCCelta VigoSporting Cristal. It has represented Man City for 120 years. Two hours south you’ll find Coventry’s Sky Blues, yet there’s little evidence the 1940 levelling of the city was a Mancunianrevenge de palette.

etc

I understand and respect that many folks are very passionate about the red and white stripes of our Club.

=======

However: 

I see we paid a visit to Manchester City this morning and the boys in red and white drew 2-2. 

What a horrible goal keeping howler was made in the 87th. minute when a routine save was spilled and the ball dribbled through for an equalising goal for Manchester City.   

Oops. My mistake. That goal keeping blunder wasn't made by Redmayne or Velapi. 

That wasn't us in red and white stripes after all. It was Sunderland!

It seems to me that our red and white stripes are NOT special to us.

If anything they're the identity of many clubs that have existed for decades before us.

So how can we take their colours and claim it is OUR identity because the red and white stripes belong to many other clubs?

They do NOT identify us from all the other professional football clubs around the world.

They are colours worn by many other professional football teams that we have taken and claimed as ours.

If anything we have taken their identity,  so while I like the red and white stripes, I'm not overly fussed if our colours change.

Edited by Parrot

If anything they're the identity of many clubs that have existed for decades before us.

So how can we take their colours and claim it is OUR identity because the red and white stripes belong to many other clubs?

They do NOT identify us from all the other professional football clubs around the world.

They are colours worn by many other professional football teams that we have taken and claimed as ours.

If anything we have stolen their identity,  so while I like the red and white stripes, I'm not overly fussed if our colours change.

In the same way that your (real) name is not unique to you but it's an important part of your identity

• Like 5

If anything we have stolen their identity,  so while I like the red and white stripes, I'm not overly fussed if our colours change.

In the same way that your (real) name is not unique to you but it's an important part of your identity

And the word Melbourne was from some English guy. Our identity is what we make of it, we haven't "stolen" anything, we've simply adopted a name and some colours to create our identity.

I understand and respect that many folks are very passionate about the red and white stripes of our Club.

=======

However: 

I see we paid a visit to Manchester City this morning and the boys in red and white drew 2-2. 

What a horrible goal keeping howler was made in the 87th. minute when a routine save was spilled and the ball dribbled through for an equalising goal for Manchester City.   

If anything we have taken their identity,  so while I like the red and white stripes, I'm not overly fussed if our colours change.

True, many teams around the world wear Red & White and have been doing so for a lot longer than us.  However, the reasons why the Red & White colours are important to Melbourne are indeed unique to us, just like the reasons Atletico Madrid, Athletic Bilbao or Sunderland wear Red & White are unique for them. 

We haven’t taken the Red & White colours from any other club, nor have we claimed them to be unique for us.  The colours are not meant to distinguish us from other clubs around the globe, but rather to differentiate us from clubs within our league whilst establishing a relationship and identity with the place this club is supposed to represent – Melbourne, something that will not happen if we go sky blue as there is another team in this league that already wears this colour.

The potential colour change is contentious as it represents a larger issue at play which is rooted in respect and autonomy that not only affects Heart but also the A-League in general.

It provides initial commentary that decisions will be made in the interests of Manchester City (a foreign club), not Melbourne (an Australian A-League club).  In this light, it can be argued that Melbourne City will not be a Melbourne club, but rather a Manchester club based in Melbourne servicing their needs, whether it be to attract new fans across Asia or to combat FFP.  This narrative can be played out in the changing of the colours and can potentially set a precedent for other foreign clubs to follow suit to do the same in Australia (something the A-League will no doubt be across).

Teams like Sunderland have not had their colours imposed onto them by a parent club in the interest of commercialism at the expense of their local relationship and identity.  Here lies the difference between their Red & White and our Red & White. 

Edited by Semper Cor
  • Like 5

=======

However: 

Sorry but that, quite honestly, is the worst arguement I have ever heard.

• Like 2

Hey guys, I put this together to try and sum up the arguments for keeping the red and white. 

I haven't shared it anywhere else yet. This is kind of the first draft.

Feedback, additions, suggested changes etc would be much appreciated.

attachicon.gifRed&White.png

Pretty solid mate, only thing is i would get rid of the point about the poll on here, but the rest is good :up:

At the end of the day, life's all about compromise.

I would be happy to play in red and white at home with sky blue strips away. i'll even give up the club name but please just keep the red and white stripes in some form

Absolutely, like wise.  I went to support the code but the club gave me no sense of belonging.

I went to support the code but the club gave me no sense of belonging.

I used to go to watch the Roar play just to support the league even though I had no affection for them. In the end it felt like I was just enabling a team I didn't care for to make decisions I didn't support.