Melbourne Football

IN or Out

MUTD/MLBHRT/ESSNDON

191 members have voted

1. 1. If a name and colour change came next season who is IN or Out

Anyone else getting plenty of mates showing sudden interest/jumping on board?

Yes. It's actually making me angry in some cases.

this. where were they last year? 

everyone seems to know David Villa btw, more than i expected....

I have a feeling this bandwagon will be 100 times worse than the one we have seen in Western Sydney

And the fact that people keep questioning what's with the 3 creatures and the boat would make me cringe to think that more than half of people attending the games wouldn't have any idea of Melbourne's history, let alone failing to recognize the city's flag.

• Like 4

Bandwagoning is always going to happen. If we started getting successes as melbourne heart, people would still jump on board. The only difference is it might happen quicker now. But like most bandwagoners, they will get bored after a while, while others might become real fans. How many of our current fans started coming because it was the 'new' team, or yarraside was the 'new cool' thing. They're are out there. After a while the dust will settle though.

How many people can honestly say they knew the flag of the city and its meaning before heart/city came along?

I can't. The victorian flag yes but the city one no.

for people in my generation, I would have thought they knew of it at least since the junior years of high school they teach australian and a bit of melbourne history... Hope I wasn't the only one being taught about this subject, I thought it was just common knowledge

• Like 1

Yes. And I love that non soccer people are starting to become interested in the game. This is what I have wanted to happen at this club since it began. Hopefully we can convert all the bandwagoners to full time football fans.

• Like 6

Yes. And I love that non soccer people are starting to become interested in the game. This is what I have wanted to happen at this club since it began. Hopefully we can convert all the bandwagoners to full time football fans.

+1 

How many people can honestly say they knew the flag of the city and its meaning before heart/city came along?

for people in my generation, I would have thought they knew of it at least since the junior years of high school they teach australian and a bit of melbourne history... Hope I wasn't the only one being taught about this subject, I thought it was just common knowledge

Yeah that's what I said to my mrs. I knew it was the melb flag from early highschool, though admittedly I only learnt/remembered the meaning behind it when discussion of it popped up on here back in Jan.

Interesting cos at my high school we didn't learn shit about it. Curious as to how old you are? Might be something they teach in metro high school as opposed to country schools

Edit: I did spend most of my high school years stoned as fuck though so who knows

Edited by sheepdog

Interesting cos at my high school we didn't learn shit about it. Curious as to how old you are? Might be something they teach in metro high school as opposed to country schools

Edit: I did spend most of my high school years stoned as fuck though so who knows

ill be 20 this year.

Exactly! We have such a wonderful opportunity to make this club something so big and special - and show those tard c*cks  just how insignificant they really are....

ill be 20 this year.

Hahahahaha I can't even remember being 20. I'm 41 now. :(

Now that it's been a few days, I'm only becoming more convinced that I'm out. Supporting Heart was a really special time for me as a football supporter. I've celebrated grand final wins as an AFL supporter, but the 4-0 derby win last season, as well as a couple of others, was every bit as joyous and memorable as any sporting win I've ever experienced. Usually you're born into supporting a club, but Heart was the only club I've consciously adopted because being a part of it just felt right for me.

Supporting a subsidiary of a mega-rich EPL club that I've never supported as part of it's global marketing operations isn't why I follow football. And I don't believe they've honoured Melbourne Heart or it's supporters in the way they've pushed through with their changes.

The only way I could still feel connected to the club would be through it's supporters being prepared stand up and fight to make the club feel like we want it to, because I've always believed it could be, at least in a large measure, OUR club, not just the plaything of wealthy owners. We've supported it from the start while owners have now come and gone. I liked how the 'keep Melbourne red and white' campaign attempted to demand that fans be part of the decision making. But unfortunately, it seems that many fans have now accepted what's been decided for them and moved on. I can't do that. I really liked the 'One Melburnian' campaign from a couple of years ago in the way supporters themselves took the initiative to build the club. I'm a bit old for active support, but I thought Yarraside became one of the best supporter groups in the country. This unique supporter culture was part of what I loved about being a Heart supporter. I sense a lot of that has now been lost. And this is part of the reason why the colours are important. It's got nothing to do with red opposed to blue in some aesthetic sense. It's that the colours represent the history of this club and who we are. For me, too many important things have been lost.

The club I've followed since I was a kid in the AFL disappointed me greatly by running a dodgy and probably illegal drugs program a couple of years ago. But now I'll see if I can repair that fractured relationship. I'll turn up to some 'City' games next year and what I hope to see most of all is everyone in the stands continuing to wear the red and white.

As always a measured and fair response Sash. I'm sorry you feel that way but it is your decision to make and I'm sure people will respect the contribution you have made through this forum over your time here. In fact it will be sad to see one of the better posters on here leave. Either way mate the door is always open to come back if Melbourne City starts to grow on you some more in the future.

On the Essendon thing I'd cut them some slack every club are doing it (drugs programs) they were the only ones stupid enough to self report. Dank was previously at Geelong and Gold Coast so the whole trial by media of Essendon and the united front of the rest of the AFL community all points to the lack of Governance from the AFL. Coincidence that no evidence of guilt has come out yet and Andy D has stepped down I think not.

• Like 1

Now that it's been a few days, I'm only becoming more convinced that I'm out. Supporting Heart was a really special time for me as a football supporter. I've celebrated grand final wins as an AFL supporter, but the 4-0 derby win last season, as well as a couple of others, was every bit as joyous and memorable as any sporting win I've ever experienced. Usually you're born into supporting a club, but Heart was the only club I've consciously adopted because being a part of it just felt right for me.

Supporting a subsidiary of a mega-rich EPL club that I've never supported as part of it's global marketing operations isn't why I follow football. And I don't believe they've honoured Melbourne Heart or it's supporters in the way they've pushed through with their changes.

The only way I could still feel connected to the club would be through it's supporters being prepared stand up and fight to make the club feel like we want it to, because I've always believed it could be, at least in a large measure, OUR club, not just the plaything of wealthy owners. We've supported it from the start while owners have now come and gone. I liked how the 'keep Melbourne red and white' campaign attempted to demand that fans be part of the decision making. But unfortunately, it seems that many fans have now accepted what's been decided for them and moved on. I can't do that. I really liked the 'One Melburnian' campaign from a couple of years ago in the way supporters themselves took the initiative to build the club. I'm a bit old for active support, but I thought Yarraside became one of the best supporter groups in the country. This unique supporter culture was part of what I loved about being a Heart supporter. I sense a lot of that has now been lost. And this is part of the reason why the colours are important. It's got nothing to do with red opposed to blue in some aesthetic sense. It's that the colours represent the history of this club and who we are. For me, too many important things have been lost.

The club I've followed since I was a kid in the AFL disappointed me greatly by running a dodgy and probably illegal drugs program a couple of years ago. But now I'll see if I can repair that fractured relationship. I'll turn up to some 'City' games next year and what I hope to see most of all is everyone in the stands continuing to wear the red and white.

I feel the same as you Sash and I am probably going to make the same decision. I have said I will watch the first few games and see if I have any connection and I will still do that but I am struggling to see how I will stick with the franchise. I have also found out in the last couple of days that I will be moving back to QLD so that will make it even harder to keep an interest in a team when I have the same opinions as you. But I will give City that one chance to see if watching the team on the park alters my view.

I'm mostly out as well. I'd prefer following a mediocre Melbourne Heart than a successful Melbourne city tbh. I might still come to a couple games but my enthusiasm won't be as nearly as high as when we were heart. If we had more fans, we could have created a Melbourne Heart in the lower Victorian leagues. 

• Like 1

On the Essendon thing I'd cut them some slack every club are doing it (drugs programs) they were the only ones stupid enough to self report. Dank was previously at Geelong and Gold Coast so the whole trial by media of Essendon and the united front of the rest of the AFL community all points to the lack of Governance from the AFL. Coincidence that no evidence of guilt has come out yet and Andy D has stepped down I think not.

Need to correct you there mate, Dank was never at Geelong - Robinson was.

Sad to see people leave though, good luck Sash and others.

Thus threads like this really have a function?.. other than providing ammo for snide remarks in the future regardless on where you stand now.

As long as the posts don't get too hostile, I'm thoroughly enjoying reading everyone's thoughts on what it means to them on supporting Heart/City in the future.

• Like 1

Thus threads like this really have a function?.. other than providing ammo for snide remarks in the future regardless on where you stand now.

As long as the posts don't get too hostile, I'm thoroughly enjoying reading everyone's thoughts on what it means to them on supporting Heart/City in the future. Agree with this. It's still ages before the season starts albeit a World Cup in between. All points are very interesting but above they all correct.

I respect what Sash and the others are going through and their decisions, it's been a couple of days and I'm still processing everything. At first I was very annoyed about the changes, the name and the badge I knew was coming, but the home kit really gets to me. The sky blue stripe I understand, but why the dark blue one? Why should there be any link to NYCFC? I don't give a fuck about them, I don't even care for Man City (indeed the whole take over has made me more belligerent toward them), will City and NYCFC have red placed into their kits to highlight their connection with us? 

So at first I was pissed that a team I'd supported since was gone and replaced with this new one and I was most likely going to leave. But over the past few days I have come to a conclusion that CFG has actually paid much more compliments to our history than they could have. Under the franchise system they could have made many more changes to try and completely reshape the appearance of the team and peoples attitude toward it. In the badge and the away kit there are many references to the Heart, things that I don't believe they had to do, but were willing to.

So for next season, I will renew my membership, but I don't think that I'll be a fan anymore, I won't buy merchandise, I won't check the forums 5 times a day for updates, my relationship with City will be will be completely casual, and I'll treat my season ticket with the same affection that i grant to my yearly pass to the Melbourne Zoo. This isn't so much in response to the takeover, but more of a realisation of what the Franchise system means, it's difficult to place emotion into a team that can overnight change in its entirety. 

• Like 3

I think it is allowing people to "get stuff off their chest", which is a very valid thing under the circumstances.

As to the snide remarks, i don't think I'm alone in thinking they should have sorted that out in the pre-school yard and want to hear more of it about as much as I want to see that Behich "One Touch" ad again. 

• Like 1

This might come as a shock to most, but good things have to come to an end.

MUTD/MLBHRT/ESSNDON has just made his final post, thanks for all the laughs and abuse in the last season it's been great dealing with you all.

I'm leaving you with the list of members who voted OUT if we ever had a name and colour change to our home kit... Now I've noticed some are IN today, so if you go back a few pages on this thread of mine you will see they are full of shit! (If they try say they never voted OUT)

Thanks to these members for making this experience a good one!

Heart of Melbourne

jw1739

Niko

Melburnian

d.Krejc87

Harrison

Sash

Falastur

Just like our club I'm going with a new name, for a fresh start! Long live the Heart!

P.S Jimmy Your A Fat Fuck With A Small Dick, Hitting You Would Be Like Stealing From A Baby!

Didn't even make the "thank you" list!?! Typical MUTD/PANATHNKOS/ESSNDON supporter!! Haha

Didn't even make the "thank you" list!?! Typical MUTD/PANATHNKOS/ESSNDON supporter!! Haha

Umm why you have thrown Panathinaikos in there, what does that have to do with anything?

Interested what would your thoughts be if instead of sky blue, someone came and tried changing our kit to all green?

Edited by rass

Umm why you have thrown Panathinaikos in there, what does that have to do with anything?

Interested what would your thoughts be if instead of sky blue, someone came and tried changing our kit to all green?

Just to see who'd took the bait! Looks like we've found ourselves the re-branded MUTD/MLBCTY/ESSNDON  :P

And to answer your question - MUTD/MLBHRT/ESSNDON (you) made it very public that Heart's red & white stripes reminded him (you) of Olympiacos who he (you) hates and which supporters hate Olympiacos the most? Yep, you guessed it, Panathinaikos! Since I'm an Olympiacos fan, I thought I make a joke about it ;) I didn't realise you'd give up your new username that easily though! haha

• Like 3

Just to see who'd took the bait! Looks like we've found ourselves the re-branded MUTD/MLBCTY/ESSNDON  :P

And to answer your question - MUTD/MLBHRT/ESSNDON (you) made it very public that Heart's red & white stripes reminded him (you) of Olympiacos who he (you) hates and which supporters hate Olympiacos the most? Yep, you guessed it, Panathinaikos! Since I'm an Olympiacos fan, I thought I make a joke about it ;) I didn't realise you'd give up your new username that easily though! haha

Very funny.

Just to see who'd took the bait! Looks like we've found ourselves the re-branded MUTD/MLBCTY/ESSNDON :P

And to answer your question - MUTD/MLBHRT/ESSNDON (you) made it very public that Heart's red & white stripes reminded him (you) of Olympiacos who he (you) hates and which supporters hate Olympiacos the most? Yep, you guessed it, Panathinaikos! Since I'm an Olympiacos fan, I thought I make a joke about it ;) I didn't realise you'd give up your new username that easily though! haha Shit detective skills...original post only a few days ago. Rass account made in march