Melbourne Football

IN or Out

MUTD/MLBHRT/ESSNDON

191 members have voted

1. 1. If a name and colour change came next season who is IN or Out

I'm in. The colours whilst I like them aren't the club. The name whatever you think of it isn't the club. The club is the principles that we try to play by and the way we go about it. Those things at face value look set to improve. We the fans make the club not some stripes and colours.

(I'd prefer everything to stay but colours and names aren't the top of my list of importance)

• Like 2

I have my local club to support and be involved with over winter. I love Melbourne Heart and although they have bought a majority share, do not want to be a part of Manchester or City. We are Melbourne Heart and we wear red and white. We have our own culture and club. Should the name or colours change, we will have moved a long way from the club I have been a supporter and member of since the start. So much for community with the potential for some level of supporter ownership.

I am happy for Manchester City to invest in facilities, coaching, players etc. However, I am not a member of the Manchester City "family". I support Melbourne Heart.

I can't vote on a question that includes both a change to the name and colours. If the colours changed I'd be gutted more than a change to Melbourne City which I think always reflected what the club was on about.

I can only think of how I've felt supporting FootscrayFC in the AFL for many many years. Heart breaking but I've never changed to another team or called them WB with any passion. In the seventies I flirted with the idea of following Richmond but that lasted all of a couple of days and I soon found myself back at Western oval. HeartFC is only young but I've grown attached to it just like my decades of following the Scraggers (actually HeartFC comes before FFC these days). However, so far we only have rumours and journos scribblings about what MCFC is likely to do. I hope MCFC HQ is reading these posts.

I always liked Melbourne heart but after 3 seasons of being a member it's taken me till this season to fully embrace this club. I've never been one to just say I support a team, hence why I don't support anyone in epl, la liga etc., which is why it's taken me so long. If the colours and the name were to change it's not the same team. The same faces might still appear at games but who are they supporting? Will they be supporting heart? No, as melbourne heart would be dead and buried. Your basically kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

Maybe in time I might like the new club but for the immediate future it is definitely a 100% NO and it may stay as a no forever.

• Like 1

• Arsenal FC. Dial Square was founded in 1886, changed names in 1893 to Woolwich Arsenal, and in 1914 changed again, this time to just Arsenal FC. Arsenal's local rivals are Tottenham Hotspur who play just a few miles away.
  • Manchester United was founded in 1878 under the name of Newton Heath LYR and changed their name in 1902 after the club went bankrupt. Manchester United have had many team colours since their beginning. Red and white quartered shirts as well as green and gold. The red shirts, white shorts, and black socks combination was first used when the name change occurred in 1902.
  • Sunderland District & Teachers Association. The club formed in 1879 and changed names in 1881 to Sunderland AFC, as it was no longer only teachers that played. The team started out playing in blue, but changed to the traditional red and white stripes in 1887. 

In

The supporters will always be the heartbeat (apologies for the pun) of the club no matter what colours or name the new owners choose. Let's not forget they now own the club but this is still our team in our city. No matter if you were there on day 1 or just joined yesterday we are one big (sometimes not so happy) football supporting family all wanting the same thing. To grow and be part of the club. Yes parts of me will be upset about certain aspects but lets also look at the positives the new owners will bring to OUR club.

There is a difference there between a club and in our case a franchise. In North America franchise "teams" get sold from city to city and change name and colours often. When you speak to people in North America you often hear things like "We used to have a team but they got sold and moved to..", or "We now have team x, we used to have team y..." etc. etc. All that they have left is some merchandise. It is soulless and I honestly believed that Melbourne Heart was going to be more than a franchise, which is why I am so heartbroken (no pun intended) with the sale to Man City and the suggested re-branding. What happens when Man City bubble bursts and they pull the pin? I want our club to firstly be our club and secondly to represent us.

Having supported Morwell Falcons who went under and then followed Carlton in the NSL, I am tired of Australian Soccer and want the solid foundation of European clubs. I fully sympathise with the supporters of Northern Spirit, Collingwood Warriors, North Queensland and Gold Coast and I do not want Heart supporters left bitter and disgruntled with the beautiful game in this county. I don't want to be bitter and disgruntled with the beautiful game in this county.

The parallel with the clubs mentioned by Alexxandro does not work as those clubs maintained or built on their own identities. An outpost franchise may represent Manchester City, but we are Melbourne Heart. We are different and I hope we remain that way.

p.s morphine, I wanted our club to be called Melbourne City in the beginning. However, we are called Melbourne Heart and I have grown to love the name, colours and passion of the club. All we need is the results. And why would a club change names for no apparent reason? This goes deeper than the name and colours, it goes to the foundation of who the club is and who and what does it represent. We are not English.

edit: I briefly toyed with the idea today to move our families allegiance to the visitors, at least they have their identity secured. It didn't take long but the more I think about this Man City take over, regardless of the money and results, the less I like it. I feel as if I have been robbed.

Edited by Peter
  • Like 1

• Arsenal FC. Dial Square was founded in 1886, changed names in 1893 to Woolwich Arsenal, and in 1914 changed again, this time to just Arsenal FC. Arsenal's local rivals are Tottenham Hotspur who play just a few miles away.
  • Manchester United was founded in 1878 under the name of Newton Heath LYR and changed their name in 1902 after the club went bankrupt. Manchester United have had many team colours since their beginning. Red and white quartered shirts as well as green and gold. The red shirts, white shorts, and black socks combination was first used when the name change occurred in 1902.
  • Sunderland District & Teachers Association. The club formed in 1879 and changed names in 1881 to Sunderland AFC, as it was no longer only teachers that played. The team started out playing in blue, but changed to the traditional red and white stripes in 1887. 

Completely missed the point.

In almost every case, those changes were done and led organically by those in the community who supported those clubs.

I would have no problem if this was the case here, and there was a genuine want for change to our identity. But there isn't.

In our case, the changes are being led from outside the club, at the behest of foreign owners who want us to adopt the identity and branding of a foreign team.

It's a completely different scenario.

Edited by FB.
  • Like 6

Everyone saying out - I ask you this - if we were called Melbourne City and wore sky blue from day one, then changed our name to Melbourne Heart and wore red and white stripes, would you continue to support the club?

Depends, have we just been bought by a team in England called Manchester Heart who wear red and white stripes?

Everyone saying out - I ask you this - if we were called Melbourne City and wore sky blue from day one, then changed our name to Melbourne Heart and wore red and white stripes, would you continue to support the club?

The answer would be no. The underlying principle hasn't changed just the sequence of events has.

In

The supporters will always be the heartbeat (apologies for the pun) of the club no matter what colours or name the new owners choose. Let's not forget they now own the club but this is still our team in our city. No matter if you were there on day 1 or just joined yesterday we are one big (sometimes not so happy) football supporting family all wanting the same thing. To grow and be part of the club. Yes parts of me will be upset about certain aspects but lets also look at the positives the new owners will bring to OUR club.

You mention 'our club.' Which club would that be?

• Like 2

Let's all just chill out a moment, Manchester City haven't said anything official and as good a journo as Davutovic may be, he's written some pretty dodgy stuff about us in regards to the Manchester City takeover ever since it first took place with nothing but speculation and (perhaps) wishful thinking.

Sure, if a colour change were to happen I'd be extremely pissed off and probably reluctant to renew my membership but I'd be very surprised if Manchester City did end up taking such action.

• Like 1

Let's all just chill out a moment, Manchester City haven't said anything official and as good a journo as Davutovic may be, he's written some pretty dodgy stuff about us in regards to the Manchester City takeover ever since it first took place with nothing but speculation and (perhaps) wishful thinking.

Sure, if a colour change were to happen I'd be extremely pissed off and probably reluctant to renew my membership but I'd be very surprised if Manchester City did end up taking such action.

The fact is Nate that Davutovic has spent time in Manchester and seen plans for our club first hand. I can see why his opinions over this wouldn't be very accurate. Also, by suggesting that everyone just chills out I don't agree with this. If we just wait and see what City do the likelihood is that we will be sky blue. Fans and Members must make their views clear that we are red and white and that's the way it should stay. Otherwise, let's be honest, each of us will have to make a choice. Do we follow this new team representing Melbourne?

• Like 1

For me, the main reason I would be out is this. The new owners have said right from the start they will listen to the supporters. We've made it pretty bloody clear that while some would stick around if the name and colours were changed, from what I have seen nobody actually wants these changes (aside from maybe a handful in regards to name). So, if they were to change these things, it sends a very clear "we don't give a shit about the fans, and we will blatantly lie to you". One of the absolute foremost reasons I chose Heart is because of the relationship between the club and the fans. While that may wane and wax over the years, we still have a far better relationship than many other clubs do. Now, if the club in it's current form started showing a complete disregard for the fans, it would quash my passion somewhat, but as it would be the same club, they wouldn't lose me completely. However, change the name, colours, logo etc, you're left with a NEW club who's owners have turned their backs on, and lied to, the fans of the club they are erasing. It'd hurt watching the players I've grown so fond of and accustomed to running around for this new club, but no way in hell would I support them.

Now, having said all this, the fact remains that these changes are all just speculation for the time being. Until otherwise confirmed, I hold out hope that CFG will stand by their word and listen to us, and keep Heart in the red and white, and keep our other core values. I just know exactly where I stand if they don't.

Edited by milanista93
  • Like 4

The fact is Nate that Davutovic has spent time in Manchester and seen plans for our club first hand. I can see why his opinions over this wouldn't be very accurate. Also, by suggesting that everyone just chills out I don't agree with this. If we just wait and see what City do the likelihood is that we will be sky blue. Fans and Members must make their views clear that we are red and white and that's the way it should stay. Otherwise, let's be honest, each of us will have to make a choice. Do we follow this new team representing Melbourne?

I'm aware of his little trip but until he clearly states that "such and such the official so and so from Manchester City has confirmed that Melbourne Heart will be changing their name and colours next season", then to me it's still speculation and sensationalist journalism. 

Don't get me wrong, by chilling out I definitely don't mean we supporters should just sit on our hands and take whatever hits us, of course not. We've got to be proactive in showing the new owners how much our club colours mean to us and a lot of us have been (pre-game banner/tifo, people wearing red in the Yarraside end etc.) but we can do better, and we need to do better for the final home game of the season against the Wanderers. 

All I'm saying is that we all seem to be assuming the worst, which is completely understandable as we're all pretty damn passionate about our club but for what it's worth, let's assume that our colours are remaining the same, so let's all flock to AAMI Park donning our red and white gear next weekend and drive our stance home.

• Like 2

the other option is :

if you stop supporting Heart / City .... Red & White / Sky Blue , who do you support

Sorry, but I'm loving my A league fix through summer

I could never see me following Victory, so I'll be staying with the rebranded Heart

Any thoughts on this ???????

the other option is :

if you stop supporting Heart / City .... Red & White / Sky Blue , who do you support

I could never see me following Victory, so I'll be staying with the rebranded Heart

Most here will stay.

If they pick mv then they were never TRUE. Heart people.

Question is..... will there be as much passion in the stands ?

the other option is :

Question is..... will there be as much passion in the stands ? Think that this is probably the main issue. Don't know if it would ever be the same if they change the colours

As I posted yesterday morning in the other "Man City Takeover Thread" for me a name change and colour change (Which I would put good money on going ahead) means that Melbourne Heart will cease to exist and new club called Melbourne City has been born.

I then have a decision to make on whether I support this new club...

TBH my love of watching live sport (Soccer and Footy for that matter) sees me catch a wide range of matches through out Greater Melbourne at a number of levels... So with this is mind I probably would attend City matches to see Soccer and to see my mates but I will def not spend the amount of time away from games that like I do now for Melbourne Heart for Melbourne City.

• Like 1

As I posted yesterday morning in the other "Man City Takeover Thread" for me a name change and colour change (Which I would put good money on going ahead) means that Melbourne Heart will cease to exist and new club called Melbourne City has been born.

TBH my love of watching live sport (Soccer and Footy for that matter) sees me catch a wide range of matches through out Greater Melbourne at a number of levels... So with this is mind I probably would attend City matches to see Soccer and to see my mates but I will def not spend the amount of time away from games that like I do now for Melbourne Heart for Melbourne City.

I agree, the implications of this take over WILL effect the way my support is shown.

As I posted yesterday morning in the other "Man City Takeover Thread" for me a name change and colour change (Which I would put good money on going ahead) means that Melbourne Heart will cease to exist and new club called Melbourne City has been born.

TBH my love of watching live sport (Soccer and Footy for that matter) sees me catch a wide range of matches through out Greater Melbourne at a number of levels... So with this is mind I probably would attend City matches to see Soccer and to see my mates but I will def not spend the amount of time away from games that like I do now for Melbourne Heart for Melbourne City.

I agree, the implications of this take over WILL effect the way my support is shown. +1

Currently I get myself in lots of strife with the handbrake as I attend heart's games religiously.

This could look different next season.

• Like 1

I'm aware of his little trip but until he clearly states that "such and such the official so and so from Manchester City has confirmed that Melbourne Heart will be changing their name and colours next season", then to me it's still speculation and sensationalist journalism. 

Don't get me wrong, by chilling out I definitely don't mean we supporters should just sit on our hands and take whatever hits us, of course not. We've got to be proactive in showing the new owners how much our club colours mean to us and a lot of us have been (pre-game banner/tifo, people wearing red in the Yarraside end etc.) but we can do better, and we need to do better for the final home game of the season against the Wanderers. 

All I'm saying is that we all seem to be assuming the worst, which is completely understandable as we're all pretty damn passionate about our club but for what it's worth, let's assume that our colours are remaining the same, so let's all flock to AAMI Park donning our red and white gear next weekend and drive our stance home.

fine words nate, fine words.

I'd say I'd most likely stick around due to the team/people around still being the same dampening the potential major identity change however I don't know how passionate I will be. It's not something I can predict and would definitely take some time getting used to, hopefully it is as easy as it was when i originally started following heart which was a relatively immediate feeling. Another major reason for sticking around is watching local football which is not MV. You never know, this club could go on to reach great heights in the not so distant future and beyond so why give up now? We will most likely get a permanent professional training base, increased young talent and watchful eyes from all sides of the globe. All i'm saying is.. If the name and/or colours change at least give it a go...

Edited by heartrate

the other option is :

I'd give up on the a-league tbh. I'd still watch the games from time to time on the T.V, but that would be about the extent of my support.

Theres no point in following a soccer club just because i 'don't want to follow victory', that's not a good enough reason for me to pour money and time into supporting a club. The comradery i feel standing in yarraside, as well as on this board, would that be replicated at the re-banded club? Probably not

Theres always cricket and other sports in the summer to support anyway

• Like 1