Melbourne Football

Matchday 18: vs Perth Glory @ Lavington Sports Oval - Sunday 9th February - 3pm EDT

Nate

A-League lights up Albury

8 Feb 2014

[...]

In the heat, the A-League is likely to give drinks breaks in the middle of each half but an FFA spokesman said the 3pm kick-off would only be delayed if the reading on the day exceeded 28C under the Wet Bulb Globe Temperature.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/02/08/league-lights-albury

The FFA don't deserve all the blame. Save some for Heart (the previous owners/management):

Embrace our sporting events

8 Feb 2014

TOMORROW afternoon the Border plays host to an important sporting event when Melbourne Heart takes on Perth Glory in an A-League first for the region.

Despite concerns the 42-degree heat will keep some fans away, there are predictions up to 9000 people will flock to Lavington Oval.

Those predictions will buoy organisers of the event, including Albury Council and the Melbourne Heart, who have been in negotiations for months to bring the game to the region and then fine-tune the logistics of having it here.

Strong support for tomorrow’s game will underpin the success of last weekend’s Super Rugby trial between the Melbourne Rebels and NSW Waratahs at the Albury Sportsground and the forthcoming NAB Challenge clash between AFL heavyweights Collingwood and Richmond at Wangaratta on February 22.

The Border region has the potential to build its reputation as hosts of major competition matches in all football codes and sports, given the breadth of support from within and the capacity within our cities to host visitors.

It’s an opportunity that councils, tourism operators and the fans themselves must surely relish.

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/2075157/embrace-our-sporting-events/?cs=14

Edited by Murfy1

It's only a bit of heat. The players need to stop being sooks and just play #hardenthefuckup

It's only a bit of heat. The players need to stop being sooks and just play #hardenthefuckup

I would be more concerned by bush fires than the heat personally.

This is not a joke you know. This is about players suffering hyperthermia, when the body's core temperature rises uncontrollably. Hyperthermia is a life-threatening medical emergency.

• Like 1

This is not a joke you know. This is about players suffering hyperthermia, when the body's core temperature rises uncontrollably. Hyperthermia is a life-threatening medical emergency.

There professional athletes mate, they should be able to play in whatever conditions are presented to them due to the fact they have been trained for occasions like this.

If there going to have a break every 20 minutes or so, that doesn't sound too bad, there just going to have to manage themselves so they don't get heat stroke.

The game is not going to be cancelled or the time moved back, so the players just have to suck it up and play, end of story.

• Like 1

There professional athletes mate, they should be able to play in whatever conditions are presented to them due to the fact they have been trained for occasions like this.

If there going to have a break every 20 minutes or so, that doesn't sound too bad, there just going to have to manage themselves so they don't get heat stroke.

The game is not going to be cancelled or the time moved back, so the players just have to suck it up and play, end of story. You're a fair knob.

How can they be trained to handle these sort of conditions if the majority of pre season is done in a lot lower temperatures?

Worksafe guidelines state if it reaches 36 degrees on a job site it is deemed unsafe to work. The football pitch is these guys workplace, they should not be expected to go out and have to "work" in extreme weather conditions like the ones forecast for tomorrow.

The scheduling of this fixture is a complete balls up.

• Like 1

The game is not going to be cancelled or the time moved back, so the players just have to suck it up and play, end of story.You're a fair knob.

How can they be trained to handle these sort of conditions if the majority of pre season is done in a lot lower temperatures?

Worksafe guidelines state if it reaches 36 degrees on a job site it is deemed unsafe to work. The football pitch is these guys workplace, they should not be expected to go out and have to "work" in extreme weather conditions like the ones forecast for tomorrow.

The scheduling of this fixture is a complete balls up. I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying mate, this is 100% the ffa's fault.

but what is the ffa to do? Cancel the game and deprive the 9000 odd people who have already bought tickets as well as all the corporates from seeing the game? Remember also there has been a great number of people who have driven up, are they going to be let down as well?

its not like we can re-schedule the game up there, at aami it would've been different but if this game was cancelled there would be no game in albury this year.

I trust at the end of the day the professional athletes knowing there bodies as well as the training staff to look after the players

Edited by kingofhearts

Guys I know the weather is appalling but how hot was it for the Victory - WSW game a couple of weeks ago?  39? 40?  bloody hot whatever it was.

This game is not the first instance of playing in this weather.  Yes i think the league needs to look at their scheduling (no one would have bet that this game would be played in the cool) and take more interest in player welfare, but we need to be clear - its not the first time it's happened.  (BTW I'm pretty confident that 36 degree thing is plain wrong)

Who's joking. Players can be managed in heat. And to be honest coming from a QLDer, Victorian's can go quite over the top in their paranoia about the heat. Unless you are elderly or sick or in any of the other danger groups it is just a very hot day. The game won't be played at full pace clearly, there will be drinks breaks, the humidity will be low so that will help and as has been mentioned games have been played in this heat already. You can play sport in this weather, it isn't the apocalypse(well it maybe a sign though ;) ). 

And I am serious about the fire. You will be driving through country Vic on an extreme fire danger day. Pays to be aware.

• Like 2

Who's joking. Players can be managed in heat. And to be honest coming from a QLDer, Victorian's can go quite over the top in their paranoia about the heat. Unless you are elderly or sick or in any of the other danger groups it is just a very hot day. The game won't be played at full pace clearly, there will be drinks breaks, the humidity will be low so that will help and as has been mentioned games have been played in this heat already. You can play sport in this weather, it isn't the apocalypse(well it maybe a sign though ;) ).

And I am serious about the fire. You will be driving through country Vic on an extreme fire danger day. Pays to be aware.

As a victorian, you qld'ers are quite paranoid about bushfires.

Forza roma bro!

• Like 1

At 3:48 of the interview; when JvS was asked whether Mifsud will come back into the (matchday) squad this week he simply replied "No" haha.

Off topic, but just in reference to them speaking about Bresciano, but let me just say that I would give my left nut to have that guy playing for Heart.

Sure he's respected greatly, but there's always been more focus on (albeit absolutely brilliant players) Kewell, Viduka, Cahill, etc. Bresciano, in my mind, was/is the most underrated, and perhaps the best Socceroo of that 2006 squad.

• Like 2

Kewell: We'll be prepared

8 February, 2014

Melbourne Heart FC captain Harry Kewell said his team will be prepared for Sunday afternoon’s match at Lavington Sports Ground, despite talk surrounding the weather forecast.

The match against Perth Glory is set to be played in hot conditions, but that is not distracting Kewell and his teammates.

“I’ll definitely get a better tan, especially in this heat,” Kewell joked when questioned about the forecast.

“No, look, as footballers… there are a lot of things that we have to think about, one of which is the weather conditions, but all-in-all, we are preparing for the game tomorrow.

“We can’t complain; if people have already played in this kind of heat, then we have to go out there tomorrow and play in it.

“Tactical-wise that will be down to the manager; picking and choosing what he wants to do out there.

“But if you do get selected and you are out there… if you do create chances in these conditions, you have to put the chances away.”

Melbourne Heart had a light session on an impressive Lavington Sports Ground – or ‘Lavi’ as it is affectionately known by the locals – after arriving in Albury on Saturday afternoon.

“I haven’t played here before, personally, but I hear good things about [Albury] and I’m expecting a good crowd tomorrow so I’m expecting a good performance [from Melbourne Heart],” Kewell said.

“We always like playing at places where we are welcomed and if we get the result for the fans tomorrow, then definitely we’ll be back.”

When questioned on the comparison between the team’s current form and its form earlier in the season, Kewell said the side had shown potential throughout the whole campaign.

“The great thing about football is that anything can happen… I actually thought that we were playing well [last year]; out of all of the games we have played, we have probably played three bad games,” Kewell said.

“The results weren't going our way; we were hitting everything but the back of the net and obviously that counts; you have to put the ball in the back of the net to win games.

“The confidence has always been there; we have been playing good football all season.

“So we’re just going to continue to play like the way we set out to play and we look forward to this game tomorrow and the upcoming games.”

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Kewell-Well-be-prepared/85453

Edited by Murfy1

Guys I know the weather is appalling but how hot was it for the Victory - WSW game a couple of weeks ago?  39? 40?  bloody hot whatever it was.

This game is not the first instance of playing in this weather.  Yes i think the league needs to look at their scheduling (no one would have bet that this game would be played in the cool) and take more interest in player welfare, but we need to be clear - its not the first time it's happened.  (BTW I'm pretty confident that 36 degree thing is plain wrong)

The maximum recorded that day for Melbourne was 42.8.

The match was played in the evening and not in the sun.

I do and I don't hope this game gets a delayed kick-off...

I do:

- Better quality game of football

- Less people complaining

- Bigger crowd

- Gallas and his other Euro friends won't die

I don't:

- Screws around people driving from Melbourne and other various places

- If it does get postponed, it'd probably be for another day so it doesn't mess with Fox Sports' TV rights

- I took my 8 hour shift with dem delicious Sunday rates off so I could make it to this, really don't want it to be in vain!  :lol:

If they do play tomorrow the quality of football will be awful. Direct sunlight, that heat, it will be very hard to see both teams perform at 100%, this was definitely not thought out by the ffa but who can predict the weather? I hope they don't cancel the game but if they do I don't blame them. The players health is of greater importance than the regional game or that matter the 3 points.

The maximum recorded that day for Melbourne was 42.8.

The match was played in the evening and not in the sun.

Yeah I know it was later, but it was still 40 at kick off and the sun hadn't set.  Not exactly the same, but similar, (slightly treasonist to admit it, but it was a cracking game too).  Re-scheduling this one vs Perth to say Saturday night or Sunday morning would have been sensible and it might be silly not to, but not criminal - thats all I was getting at. 

Anyway back to the football - I see this as an important game to win.  With the following 3 games being Wellington away, Roar at home and the 3rd Derby, it will be important to have some form and momentum going into what will be 3 testing games (and Perth haven't been setting the world on fire this year). 

I have just returned home from work, going between outside and air-conditioned areas all day. It was hot, and I believe tomorrow is to be hotter. I hope the cool change comes through before three o'clock. It would be unfair to postpone the match, and it is unfair to hold the game at three o'clock in the afternoon without even a chance to have shade.

In fact, there is nowhere in Australia that a three o'clock kick off is reasonable during the summer. This might be the closest to a repeat of the Guns n Roses concert fiasco a few years ago (20 odd) that I will get to experience. I hope there are plenty of places to get water at the Lavington Sports Ground.

I have just returned home from work, going between outside and air-conditioned areas all day. It was hot, and I believe tomorrow is to be hotter. I hope the cool change comes through before three o'clock. It would be unfair to postpone the match, and it is unfair to hold the game at three o'clock in the afternoon without even a chance to have shade.

In fact, there is nowhere in Australia that a three o'clock kick off is reasonable during the summer. This might be the closest to a repeat of the Guns n Roses concert fiasco a few years ago (20 odd) that I will get to experience. I hope there are plenty of places to get water at the Lavington Sports Ground.

Don't bank on a cool change because it's 8pm and it's still pretty damn hot.

There'll be lots of drinks tents, I'm sure of it.

Don't bank on a cool change because it's 8pm and it's still pretty damn hot.

There'll be lots of drinks tents, I'm sure of it.

Sure here is hot, it is 41 degree when I arrived Albury around 5pm

Not only a problem for players but also for fans

I will be happy if the match delays to 7pm.

If the game is delayed to 7pm, that means we won't get out of There till about 9.30 and home to Melbourne until 1am. With work in the morning I am up at 6am..........guess what.....happy to do it if the boys can play the game in conditions that are better suited. Sure the FFA should give themselves a triple uppercut for scheduling the game at this time, but no use crying over spilt milk. See you there COYBIR.

• Like 1

Kewell banking on Heart's change of luck

Brad Worrall

Feb 8, 2014

MELBOURNE Heart was never out of form, just out of luck, says Harry Kewell.

The club captain was speaking after a brisk 45-minute training session in heatwave conditions in Albury ahead of the clash with Perth Glory today.

The game, the first A-League match to be played on the Border, is set down for 3pm but is expected to be delayed to avoid the 42-degree maximum expected this afternoon.

Kewell went through his paces in the session at the Lavington Oval and downplayed the heat.

“It wasn’t too bad out there today, it left you a bit dry in the mouth but that was about all,” he said.

“We are professional footballers and simply going about preparing for the game.”

The Heart, still languishing at the bottom of the table, will be looking to avenge their 3-0 loss to Perth a month ago.

Since then they have put together two wins and a draw.

Kewell says the only difference is that Heart is now scoring goals.

“I don’t think we were playing poorly, in fact in that losing streak I thought we probably played only three bad games,” he said.

“We were hitting everything except the back of the net.

“The biggest difference is we are now scoring goals, even if some of the decisions on the pitch are still not going our way.

“But the confidence has always been there.

“We have been playing good football all season.

“Possession wise, shot wise (in the stats) tell the story we just hadn’t been finishing.”

Kewell said Heart would need to make the most of their chances in today’s extreme heat.

“I don’t think you are going to get too many chances out there,” he said.

“But if you are out there you will need to capitalise on anything that comes your way.”

Kewell, now 35, says he was feeling good ahead of the clash.

“I still feel fresh and still feel young in my mind,” he said.

“The only time I feel my age is the next day.

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/2075404/kewell-banking-on-hearts-change-of-luck/?cs=53

I know Kewell doesn't like to suggest or imply that his mate Aloisi was a terrible coach, but it's so annoying to hear him say we were playing well and were 'unlucky'.

Edited by Murfy1

What is even more pathetic than the fixturing in the first place is that FFA hasn't got the decency to inform fans of any changes the night before so that those travelling some distance to the match can adjust accordingly.

FFA doesn't deserve the support we give the A-League.

And no update from the club whatsoever.

Pathetic.

• Like 3

What is even more pathetic than the fixturing in the first place is that FFA hasn't got the decency to inform fans of any changes the night before so that those travelling some distance to the match can adjust accordingly.

FFA doesn't deserve the support we give the A-League.

And no update from the club whatsoever.

Pathetic.

I "liked" this because I don't like this. The club probably think there is nothing to say on the issue of delays because there has been no official notification to members. However, seeing as the Border Mail has made a statement there is now need for clarification.

I will be upset if I arrive at the ground only to find out that the kick off has been delayed or the game cancelled. 8 hours driving needs to be worthwhile and it is no good if we get home at one In the morning rather than nine at night.

I've already organised my day and travel, so I'll be going.

The pitch and stadium look pretty good:

Bf2JBmiCEAE9n8B.jpg

Bf69KHYCcAAsLPC.jpg

Bf7ELJnCAAAJE1s.jpg

Hopefully they are reasonable tomorrow and make the day as good as possible for both players and spectators, and then hopefully things are good enough. I don't know if my optimism is justified, but I think things will be good enough tomorrow. Also, I think the conditions might favour Heart, so if we win I'd be happy even if conditions are miserable.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

My guess is it will go ahead at 3, with drinks breaks. It's not really comparable to the tennis issues, it's an open grassed field as opposed to a closed in court. The issue with the tennis was it was hitting over 50 on the court, and of course the length of the matches. It's going to be damn hot to play in tomorrow, but teams will have every possible measure in place to look after the players. As long as everyone is kept well hydrated, it should be fine.

Crowd wise, wouldn't surprise me in the least if they hand out bottled water and sunscreen.

Either way, looking forward to the trip! COYBIR!