Melbourne Football

Aaron Mooy

MHFCRC

@ Tesla.  i played in central midfield on the horse paddocks State football Reserves.  That of course qualifies me to comment on the importance of leg speed at national and international level.  To play in centre midfield as a box to box midfielder does requires speed off the mark in the first 10-20 metres because often the ball can be in dispute and the passes to you may not be weighted or directed correctly.  You can make for it with superior reading of the play and anticipation that players like Pirlo, Alonso and myself were able to do, but you still need leg speed off the mark\.

• Like 2

It depends on the team style, the league you play in and your role in the team. There are few EPL or Championship teams that would choose a player with slower first 5m acceleration. Perhaps Italy, Spain or Holland or Belgium leagues play a style that would suit but there are also a lot of technically gifted players there too

2 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

It depends on the team style, the league you play in and your role in the team. There are few EPL or Championship teams that would choose a player with slower first 5m acceleration. Perhaps Italy, Spain or Holland or Belgium leagues play a style that would suit but there are also a lot of technically gifted players there too

If Pirlo went to the EPL today he would instantly be the GOAT player even if he just stands in one spot with the way the EPL is played you just give him the ball and let him make long passes for others to chase. Easy wins. 

Players that were/are shit because they were slow as f#ck: Alonso, Riquelme, Xavi, Pirlo, Ballack...to me this discussion is symptomatic of the English football mentality. If someone is slow or they can't tackle very well they aren't valued. It reminds me of that famous Xabi Alonso interview:

There is a pause as Alonso reaches, again, the crux of the issue. A single English word he returns to that, unpacked, analysed and investigated, explains much. "I don't think tackling is a quality," he says. "It is a recurso, something you have to resort to, not a characteristic of your game. At Liverpool I used to read the matchday programme and you'd read an interview with a lad from the youth team. They'd ask: age, heroes, strong points, etc. He'd reply: 'Shooting and tackling'. I can't get into my head that football development would educate tackling as a quality, something to learn, to teach, a characteristic of your play. How can that be a way of seeing the game? I just don't understand football in those terms. Tackling is a [last] resort, and you will need it, but it isn't a quality to aspire to, a definition. It's hard to change because it's so rooted in the English football culture, but I don't understand it."

Link to full article here, well worth a read http://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/nov/11/xabi-alonso-spain-england-interview

Edited by Imperial Pints
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Imperial Pints said:

Players that were/are shit because they were slow as f#ck: Alonso, Riquelme, Xavi, Pirlo, Ballack...to me this discussion is symptomatic of the English football mentality. If someone is slow or they can't tackle very well they aren't valued. It reminds me of that famous Xabi Alonso interview:

There is a pause as Alonso reaches, again, the crux of the issue. A single English word he returns to that, unpacked, analysed and investigated, explains much. "I don't think tackling is a quality," he says. "It is a recurso, something you have to resort to, not a characteristic of your game. At Liverpool I used to read the matchday programme and you'd read an interview with a lad from the youth team. They'd ask: age, heroes, strong points, etc. He'd reply: 'Shooting and tackling'. I can't get into my head that football development would educate tackling as a quality, something to learn, to teach, a characteristic of your play. How can that be a way of seeing the game? I just don't understand football in those terms. Tackling is a [last] resort, and you will need it, but it isn't a quality to aspire to, a definition. It's hard to change because it's so rooted in the English football culture, but I don't understand it."

Link to full article here, well worth a read http://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/nov/11/xabi-alonso-spain-england-interview

Well that would be about tackling, then.

3 hours ago, Imperial Pints said:

English football definitely has a mindset problem but I think that Alonso presents the opposite extremes of mindset problems. I don't agree that players should be rated by their strength, speed and ability to tackle but similarly I don't agree with Alonso that the tackle is an absolute last resort. It's still an important part of football, and Alonso's comments are reminiscent of those who want football to be a non-contact sport - that all you should be allowed to do to take the ball off the opponent is blocked their oath and try to force them into a mistake with their next move. Football needs technique and flair and skill on the ball, but it also needs a willingness to throw yourself in and use your body to win the ball. 

4 hours ago, Tesla said:

Also if Ricky Alvarez could play as a winger for Inter and the Argentinian NT then no one can say that being slow will stop someone playing at a high level.

You are working under your (probably mistaken) "impression" of how fast you think certain players are. Yes, at the top level there are some players who are quicker than others. But I think you would be very surprised at how little difference there is in 20m sprint times between the players at this level and how much quicker the times are between the slowest players at the top level and the average player in the A-League, etc. Just because someone "looks" slow, doesn't necessarily mean they are. You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts. :)  Below a certain level of speed they just don't make it. Full stop. 

20 hours ago, dr lime said:

You are working under your (probably mistaken) "impression" of how fast you think certain players are. Yes, at the top level there are some players who are quicker than others. But I think you would be very surprised at how little difference there is in 20m sprint times between the players at this level and how much quicker the times are between the slowest players at the top level and the average player in the A-League, etc. Just because someone "looks" slow, doesn't necessarily mean they are. You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts. :)  Below a certain level of speed they just don't make it. Full stop. 

As some one who is "slow as fuck" I can assure you this is spot on.  Everything is basically so much harder, need to position 50% better 100% of the time, better first touch etc etc.  In essence speed is like a gate keeper.  It won't make you a star alone, but you need it to get in the gate. 

Melbourne City in battle to hold on to Socceroo Aaron Mooy as European clubs circle

Dominic Bossi

November 25, 2015

Melbourne City are hoping to keep  in-demand marquee Aaron Mooy, who is becoming subject of a high-profile transfer move to a major European club in the January window. 

The club says they will dig in their heels  to keep the Socceroo at AAMI Park for at least the remainder of the season but will have to battle with a flurry of offers set to arrive in the coming weeks. 

"Melbourne City is not obligated to sell Aaron nor does the club have any intention of selling," a club spokesman said. 

However, sources suggest they may not be able to resist the offer from one of Italy's biggest clubs who lead the chase for Mooy's signature while Melbourne City's owners, Manchester City, are also eager to keep him part of their football family. Clubs in the UK, Spain, the Netherlands and Germany are also pursuing the midfielder and have already signalled their interest with Melbourne City. 

Fairfax Media understands Mooy's days in the A-League are already numbered after the playmaker's impressive start to the season and starring roles in the Socceroos' first round of World Cup qualifiers. 

A derby against Melbourne Victory would otherwise be the final home game for the gifted midfielder though City are adamant they will deny Mooy a dream return to Europe as he has no buy-out clause in his contract for the January transfer window. 

Sources suggest City's intention was to hold him at least until the end of the season but they may cash-in during the upcoming European transfer window. 

Despite having another two-and-a-half seasons to run on his lucrative deal with Melbourne City, negotiations to sell Mooy to Europe could commence in the coming weeks with interest intensifying abroad. It's unlikely though City will entertain any bid under $1 million.

Mooy's agent would not speculate on his next move but says he will remain at City unless the club decides to negotiate with European suitors. 

"Aaron is contracted to Melbourne City therefore all this speculation regarding Aaron in January is for nothing unless Melbourne City are interested in discussing a move for the player with an interested party," Paddy Dominguez said.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-in-battle-to-hold-on-to-socceroo-aaron-mooy-as-european-clubs-circle-20151125-gl82yw.html

Aaron Mooy ready for change after birth of his first child

November 26, 2015

David Davutovic

FOR a player who attributes his amazing durability to relaxing, Aaron Mooy has a little problem on his hands.

The Melbourne City star took his pregnant partner Nicola to hospital for a routine check-up at lunchtime on Wednesday, so confident their imminent happy event was still a couple of weeks off, he scheduled a photo shoot with the Herald Sun for later that ­afternoon.

But plans soon changed and, by Wednesday night, there was a third member of the Mooy clan — little Skylar arriving about a fortnight ­earlier than expected.

“We went in for a routine check-up and they told us water had broken,’’ Mooy said.

“It was a big surprise, but we’d been waiting a long time for it. It’s incredible. It’s the best feeling I’ve ever had — waiting to hear a noise, then she started crying and, once she did, it was unbelievable. ’’

Between rushing to hospital to visit mum and bub and lightning pit stops at home to feed their dog Fui, Mooy is unlikely to forget his preparation for Friday night’s A-League clash with Perth Glory. But, throughout the mayhem, he maintained his strict regimen.

Mooy, 25, is noted less for his physical attributes than his technical ability and vision, but underpinning his consistency and A-League dominance is his stamina.

His amazing durability enabled him to play for City against Sydney FC in Round 1 only 40 hours after playing for the Socceroos in Jordan.

Last week, he played 90 minutes for City only three days after having featured for the national side in Bangladesh.

“I give myself every chance to play, be as fit as I can — eating well, recovery, trying to relax after training,’’ he said.

“Training loads are done specifically here, so if you’re playing lots of minutes then you won’t train as much, which probably helps.

“It’s important that your mind stays fresh, because once your mind starts to get fatigued, your body starts to go.

“So I just try and take it easy when I’m not training — just in the house with my missus and the dog, watching television, trying not to do too much shopping and walking around.’’

That is certain to be more challenging now Skylar has ­arrived on the scene.

“My sleep patterns will probably change,” the proud father said. “I’ll just have to get sleep whenever I can. That’s still important. I’m going to have to try and find a way around it.’’

Regardless of where Mooy’s career takes him and his family, having his first child born in Melbourne will be a reminder that this is where his career has risen to another level.

Western Sydney Wanderers thrust him into the spotlight after fans caught a fleeting glimpse of his talents at the 2009 under-20 World Cup. Moving in 2014 to City, where he has been given more freedom and a more attacking role, has ­coincided with Mooy bursting into the Socceroos squad.

“Six months ago, I wouldn’t have thought I’d be playing as much as now, so I’m very happy with the way it’s going,’’ he said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/aaron-mooy-ready-for-change-after-birth-of-his-first-child/news-story/5a829d7b8d8d73b1d50828d913493534