Melbourne Football

Matchday 15: v Newcastle Jets, 7:30 AAMI Park

LR9

Positives from tonight:

we won I think, perhaps I;m more heat affected than I thought

we even scored some goals

90 minutes of effort for the first time I can remember

we look more fluent in attacking transition and we even pressed in midfield in defensive transition instead of retreating to our box and allowing the opponents to dictate the game.

we won BOTH HALVES of the game, hasn't happened since JVS left I think

Engelaar looks as unstoppable as the Terminator, not very fast but like Sibon he reads the game very well and positions himself very cleverly. His passing forward was a delight and his defensive work was solid. The team lifted when he came on.

good subs from JVS and well set up tactically.

Engelaar's broken leg in hindsight has been a real positive, it quarantined him from the Aloisi/Foxe coaching devolution and he remains a real footballer.

Negatives:

our play was dire at times, particularly in the first half

our defending was very poor and Jets goal looked inevitable

our movement off the ball is terrible limiting our passing options going forward

the Hoff is NOT a RB solution for us despite his efforts

Redmayne's distribution is terrible, all skill has been coached out of him.

small rump crowd of rusted on supporters, more than the current owners deserve.

• Like 3

Props to all the lads going sround taking photos with everyone (Minus Kewell who just left half the stadium dissapointed), all in all though, FINALLY. Miss this feeling and awesome atmosphere considering a shite crowd. Its amazing how a good result will see everyone join in the clapping and chants, happend all around Prem A and B, hopefully its the start of something but anyway, FUCKING FINAAAALLLY.

Props to all the lads going sround taking photos with everyone (Minus Kewell who just left half the stadium dissapointed), all in all though, FINALLY. Miss this feeling and awesome atmosphere considering a shite crowd. Its amazing how a good result will see everyone join in the clapping and chants, happend all around Prem A and B, hopefully its the start of something but anyway, FUCKING FINAAAALLLY.

I got video and shots of HK with supporters behind the goal, he took time taking selfies with lots of people, how did you miss that

IMHO Harry was great tonight. Assisted Ramsey's goal and look at his reaction for all 3 goals, he was truly pumped and now is behaving more like a captain should.

Well done Harry!!!!

Edited by Jestr

I got video and shots of HK with supporters behind the goal, he took time taking selfies with lots of people, how did you miss that

IMHO Harry was great tonight. Assisted Ramsey's goal and look at his reaction for all 3 goals, he was truly pumped and now is behaving more like a captain should.

Well done Harry!!!! It was just the yarraside end though, there were kids yelling and screaming for photos towards the half way line and he just clapped them off unlike the rest of the lads who did a full lap. Anyway dont want to make a big fuss about it, the pricks probably sick of it after 18 years of constant photos and signings. On the other hand, his best performance for us imo, played like a leader and was class through out.

Ramsay wasn't that good ffs

I thought his behaviour after the goal was poor, like he just scored a training goal against velaphi. No emotions shown.

His pass to mate for the third goal was quality.

One good game doesn't make him super by any stretch of the imagination.

To the meat head from 'yarraside' who came into the Ace of Hearts section pre match.

1. Bagging out Mifsuf is an easy cop out. Yes he has missed a lot of chances this year blah blah blah but at the end if the day he is a Heart player. The words whch came out of your mouth directed at him were disgusting and embarrassing to say the least.

2. Harry Kewell. How could you say to harry that he needs to lift his game when he has been one of our best players since he has come back. I think his reaction to you summed you up that you are a joke.

3. Critiquing Engleaar when he hadnt played a minute of football for our senior team. Telling him to show more etc.

4. Saying that you are a 'true heart fan' and trying to have a dick off with us saying you go to away games and all that crap you mentioned. Firstly it's pathetic and immature and secondly I have been to interstate games and am going to Adelaide this weekend.

Please grow up because you are an embarrassment to our club and to your fellow members. I do not want meatheads to be apart of this club so please change your attitude before you come to another game.

End vent

• Like 1

To the meat head from 'yarraside' who came into the Ace of Hearts section pre match.

1. Bagging out Mifsuf is an easy cop out. Yes he has missed a lot of chances this year blah blah blah but at the end if the day he is a Heart player. The words whch came out of your mouth directed at him were disgusting and embarrassing to say the least.

2. Harry Kewell. How could you say to harry that he needs to lift his game when he has been one of our best players since he has come back. I think his reaction to you summed you up that you are a joke.

3. Critiquing Engleaar when he hadnt played a minute of football for our senior team. Telling him to show more etc.

4. Saying that you are a 'true heart fan' and trying to have a dick off with us saying you go to away games and all that crap you mentioned. Firstly it's pathetic and immature and secondly I have been to interstate games and am going to Adelaide this weekend.

Please grow up because you are an embarrassment to our club and to your fellow members. I do not want meatheads to be apart of this club so please change your attitude before you come to another game.

End vent

Was that what that was about pre game?

• Like 1

End vent

Let me help you out

Was that pre game?

See it's not that hard :)

• Like 1

FUCK YEAH CUNTTTTTTTSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

Yarraside was electric, see what happens when you give us something to chant for?

Orlando is such a beast, made Heskey his bitch, can he have my babies? I've never seen such a man in my life. Got a photo with him after the game and seems like a top bloke.

Garrucio in his short cameo i thought was really good, i can't believe he hasn't seen more playing time, looks like a really good kid.

My mate dugantic really good tonight. Always been a fan of him even though he hasn't played well this year.

The only player i feel sorry for is Kisnorbo. Saw him after the game doing some run throughs, the bloke is too good to be sitting on the bench in this league, but what can you do i guess.

Lids off, watch out Brisbane, your next! :D

• Like 1

Remember the Wellington game? after we lost that game 1-0, it was near impossible to imagine how we'd next win a game. So it's very relieving and very pleasing to get this win. Sure, it can be said that supporters shouldn't be so happy after a win, but after the horror period we supporters have endured this season a solid 3-1 win is cause for some celebration.

And we put in a good performance. And Heart many players put a good performance for most of the game: 

- Ramsay's been disappointing this season, but he was very solid this game, and the goal boosted his confidence and he was even better after it 

- Dugandzic scored 2 well taken goals. Nothing fancy, just good finishes, and he was deservedly MOTM IMO because of his solid all around performance. There were flashes of the 7 goals 7 assists Dugandzic of his first season at Heart

- Kewell was class, and even towards the end of the game he had good fitness and pace and could still show some classy effective moves. He's getting better each game 

- Great to see Behich provide some quality crossing, which is something we've been sorely lacking. Behich was pretty good, although not spectacular, defensively and offensively in this match

- And Engelaar was impressive for his 30 minute appearance, directing and dictating our possession from midfield, although he didn't add much defensively (perhaps because Murdocca was sidelined for several minutes of those 30 due to injury, and because Engelaar's defensive game will improve with his fitness)

Honourable mention for Garuccio, who looked lively when he came on, and he had plenty of attacking intent.

The rest of the players had largely mixed games IMO. The good news there is that Heart can still go up another gear or two when more Heart players lift their game. And the win could well do wonders for many Heart players that aren't living up to their potential.

Heart ATM probably couldn't match it with a team like Brisbane Roar in top gear, but the team is making undeniable progress under JVS. The faithful supporters 5000 supporters who showed up to the match and the other supporters that are still following the team can justly appreciate this win. And there's reason to think that Heart will improve even more so after this win as confidence lifts, JVS continues to promote his style of play, Engelaar gets fitter and young players become ready for action. It's now really possible to imagine how Heart will win games.  

• Like 1

Just home from the game and a few quick observations.

Just so good to break the duck. Was ambivalent about going but thankfully the kids dragged me along. JVS deserves credit for finally showing us football.

Ramsay looked like a player playing for his career. My ten year old son even asked, "what's going on dad - Ramsay's chasing players?". Made me laugh but finally some defensive effort from him.

Can someone (again!!) teach Hoffman to jockey. Too easy to play in behind him and he turns like the QE2.

Mate had the ball on the deck an looked great. I think we forget how bad the long ball aerial shit was for him but he showed his class with better service.

Engelaar is just a beast and very intelligent. The excitement from the crowd when he came on was something to behold. So long since we've all felt anything so positive about our team.

Mifsud should be dropped - he was woeful in positioning and touch. Offside for a potential Duga cross (his blocked shot), a simple through ball to put Kewell on goal over hit and poor timing of his runs. He really must go back to NYL to sort himself out.

I really liked Gareucio's effort. Youthful enthusiasm and trying to take people on - should be in front of Midsud.

DMac banished by media release after the game according to SEN - you think we might have celebrated the win first!!

Well done to the lads on the park and great to hear Yarraside loud and strong. Just a fantastic (and timely) reminder why I love this club.

• Like 6

End vent

Let me help you out

Was that pre game?

See it's not that hard :)

He meant what he wrote..

• Like 2

Btw was going to ask if anyone on here talked to gol gol at half time when he was do the charity thing? Did he talk about his contract at all?

i did, he said hes in contract negotiations with Wellington.

but to me it sounded like he had signed with them already.

• Like 1

Wow - not only did we win but we finally played like a team that believed in themselves. In answer to Lucy on Thursday FC last week when she commented that JA wasn't at fault coz "coaches don't score the goals". Well, yes they do because good players don't make a good team, it's the coach (and the club and supporters) that makes them into a good team. Great night and well done to Yarraside. Loved the enthusiasm, noise and emotion. Hope I didn't see a issue with security at one stage, we need to control this so we don't get labelled like the tards.

• Like 1