Melbourne Football

Start planning for 2016-17 now

AntiScum

Interesting comments made my Sasa Ognenovski today:

Socceroos centre-back Ognenovski has been a key addition since joining the club in February, helping tighten the side’s leaky defence.

But the veteran hinted at a possible move to Melbourne next season.

“I’m originally from Melbourne so it would be nice to go home,” the 34-year-old said.

“So I’ll have a chat with the club and we might be doing something shortly.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/frank-farina-denies-reports-alessandro-del-piero-will-leave-sydney-fc-at-seasons-end/story-e6frf4gl-1226860284895

Maybe we'll see him soon in Red and White.

It's conceivable that Wielaert could be moved on, and Heart could sign the Ogmonster. Imagine Ognenovski and Kisnorbo, what a formidable centre-back pairing that would be. Whilst I think Wielaert brings a number of useful qualities to the team, he will be 36 by the end of December this year, whereas Ognenovski is younger, turning 35 in early April in a few weeks. They are both experienced CBs though with leadership qualities, so there isn't too much difference between them.

Would hate to see Ognenovski sign for victory as well.

I'm not sure that we should be signing 35-year-olds every season. At best they're going to give us 1-2 years, and they tend to ask for pretty high wages if they're anyone of note. Most importantly for me they don't give the club a sense of continuity, and IMO that's one thing that we have lacked so far in our short history. The re-signings this week of JvS and Willo do give me a sense that at last the club is building a culture and loyalty and a belief in itself and its decision-making that IMO will be reflected in greater support for the club in terms of sponsorship and, importantly, in the stands. It's bloody hard to get excited about a club that has a new herd of cattle every year.

• Like 2

i'd get rid of Wielaert and sign Ognenovksi, which then frees up a visa spot. He's been very solid for sydney since he's been back. Also wouldn't mind having a look at signing Madaschi as another defensive option. Hopefully kisnorbo is re-signed as well.

Thoughts on Fabio Ferreira? he's impressing me the more i see him and looks to always be improving. Scored a fantastic goal tonight against sydney

I mentioned Ognenovski because he said himself yesterday that he'd like to come back to Melbourne.

Also, apparently he has a real genuine hate for Victory (another reason why I'd be happy if we signed him), so it looks like he'd only want to sign for Heart if he came back to Melbourne.

Yes Ognenovski is getting on in years, but it can be useful to have 1 old and experienced centreback. Arguably, the best Heart defence included aging Adrian Madaschi, who provided impressive leadership at the back.

And there's no doubting the Ogmonster's pedigree. He was named the Asian Player of the Year in 2010, he captained Seongnam to win the Asian Champions League in the same year and has almost 2 dozen Socceroos caps. And he's even managed to make Sydney's defence look respectable at times.

I reckon Heart's recruitment will improve across the board for next season. It has been a bugbear of mine as well that Heart have recruited too many 30somethings players too often (Seaon 1:Sibon, Bolton, Skoko, Colosimo, Beauchamp, Heffernan, Aloisi,   and too many 30somethings that were meant to be key players [or saviours], Fred, Grella, Kewell, Engelaar).

But at the same time, 2 or at most 3 players a bit over 30 can be good. Like Madaschi has shown, an experienced player can provide invaluable leadership. And generally aging Australian players or Socceroos don't cost so much (e.g. Garcia's first season at Heart, and Kewell). So I've got no problem with signing a player who's a bit over 30, as long as that player is quality and is at least good for 2 seasons (whereas Heart have too routinely signed players right at the end of the career, as happened most clearly with Grella). At the end of the day, if you can have a standout player for 2 or 3 seasons, it is generally better to get that player than a normal player for 4,5 or 6 seasons (or whatever).

In the case of Ognenovski, I reckon the 6.5ft defender has 2 A-League seasons left in him, and it doesn't appear that he'd cost much, and he's probably the biggest leader out of all Australian centre-backs that are out there. So I think Ognenovski has a reasonable case to be Heart's experienced defender for next season (saving Heart a VISA spot, if Wielaert got moved on, would be a pretty big tick as well).

I fully agree that the early signs are looking real positive with regards to Heart's recruiting, and I'm sure things will be much different and much better on that front then they were in the past.

• Like 1

I mentioned Ognenovski because he said himself yesterday that he'd like to come back to Melbourne.

Also, apparently he has a real genuine hate for Victory (another reason why I'd be happy if we signed him), so it looks like he'd only want to sign for Heart if he came back to Melbourne.

Yes Ognenovski is getting on in years, but it can be useful to have 1 old and experienced centreback. Arguably, the best Heart defence included aging Adrian Madaschi, who provided impressive leadership at the back.

And there's no doubting the Ogmonster's pedigree. He was named the Asian Player of the Year in 2010, he captained Seongnam to win the Asian Champions League in the same year and has almost 2 dozen Socceroos caps. And he's even managed to make Sydney's defence look respectable at times.

I reckon Heart's recruitment will improve across the board for next season. It has been a bugbear of mine as well that Heart have recruited too many 30somethings players too often (Seaon 1:Sibon, Bolton, Skoko, Colosimo, Beauchamp, Heffernan, Aloisi,   and too many 30somethings that were meant to be key players [or saviours], Fred, Grella, Kewell, Engelaar).

But at the same time, 2 or at most 3 players a bit over 30 can be good. Like Madaschi has shown, an experienced player can provide invaluable leadership. And generally aging Australian players or Socceroos don't cost so much (e.g. Garcia's first season at Heart, and Kewell). So I've got no problem with signing a player who's a bit over 30, as long as that player is quality and is at least good for 2 seasons (whereas Heart have too routinely signed players right at the end of the career, as happened most clearly with Grella). At the end of the day, if you can have a standout player for 2 or 3 seasons, it is generally better to get that player than a normal player for 4,5 or 6 seasons (or whatever).

In the case of Ognenovski, I reckon the 6.5ft defender has 2 A-League seasons left in him, and it doesn't appear that he'd cost much, and he's probably the biggest leader out of all Australian centre-backs that are out there. So I think Ognenovski has a reasonable case to be Heart's experienced defender for next season (saving Heart a VISA spot, if Wielaert got moved on, would be a pretty big tick as well).

I fully agree that the early signs are looking real positive with regards to Heart's recruiting, and I'm sure things will be much different and much better on that front then they were in the past.

yep, i'll second this.  He and family are Heart fans.  He's fairly loyal, passionate and was extremely aggressive playing at Preston Lions. I heard rumblings that he'd love to play for Heart, just like Bresciano.

Edited by Pandev

My ideal starting squad for the 2014/15 season: 

Federici/Cisak

Visa RB, Kisnorbo, Ognenovski, Behich/Garuccio/Ramsay

Bresciano, Engelaar, Mooy

Visa RW, Marquee ST, Williams

Subs: Redmayne, Hoffman, Germano, Mauk, Dugandzic

I question Ogs ability to keep the ball on the deck. At the Roar he did nothing but launch 60 metre long balls all game. Strong in the tackle he is and decent in his positioning but if the new owners are true to their word on a style of football I am not sure he would fit in.

I question Ogs ability to keep the ball on the deck. At the Roar he did nothing but launch 60 metre long balls all game. Strong in the tackle he is and decent in his positioning but if the new owners are true to their word on a style of football I am not sure he would fit in.

Yes but like us under JA, SFC has no midfield so he has to kick long. Remember Kisnorbo was the same under JA

the best Heart defence included aging Adrian Madaschi,

Madaschi is 31 and was only 29 when he played for Heart. That's a huge difference to the Og who is 34 and would be 35 if he played for us. 

Personally I think players close to 35 are rarely worth the risk of paying big wages for a player that must be at least twice as likely to get injured as a 30 year old. That five year gap is huge in footballing terms. That's my feeling. 

Federici/Cisak

Good and interesting choices for goalkeeper IMO.

I reckon Adam Federici, 29, is the best replacement goalkeeper Heart could realistically sign for next season. He's contracted to Reading until the end of next season, but it seems that he's now second choice GK for them, with him rarely getting starts this season. Heart could maybe sign him for a not too large transfer fee, and he could possibly be signed under the cap. I think he's a pretty impressive keeper, although I'm unsure if he's any good with the ball at his feet.

Alex Cisak, 24, is a keeper that I've seen very little of, but he has a pretty good playing history, largely playing in the English 2nd and 3rd divisions. He seems to be the 2nd choice keeper at Burnley, who apparently are safely in 2nd place in the Championship, 8 points ahead of 3rd place, with about 11 games to go. He's contracted to Burnley until the end of next season, and it's an interesting question if Burnley would want to keep Cisak if they finish 2nd and get promoted. Anyway, Cisak is maybe the second best Australian keeper that Heart could sign for next season.

I really can't think of any other realistic keepers Heart could sign for next season. Brad Jones, for instance, is contracted for another 2 whole seasons, and he seems pretty settled at Liverpool. Dean Bouzanis is the only other name I can think of. So I reckon the club might well decide to give Redmayne another chance next season (and if he's given another chance as first choice keeper, Velaphi will probably be re-signed as backup).

The goalkeeping situation isn't ideal, and I'm fairly sure Redmayne and Tando won't be around long term, but I can see them sticking around for next season, given the limited alternatives.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Federici/Cisak

Good and interesting choices for goalkeeper IMO.

I reckon Adam Federici, 29, is the best replacement goalkeeper Heart could realistically sign for next season. He's contracted to Reading until the end of next season, but it seems that he's now second choice GK for them, with him rarely getting starts this season. Heart could maybe sign him for a not too large transfer fee, and he could possibly be signed under the cap. I think he's a pretty impressive keeper, although I'm unsure if he's any good with the ball at his feet.

Alex Cisak, 24, is a keeper that I've seen very little of, but he has a pretty good playing history, largely playing in the English 2nd and 3rd divisions. He seems to be the 2nd choice keeper at Burnley, who apparently are safely in 2nd place in the Championship, 8 points ahead of 3rd place, with about 11 games to go. He's contracted to Burnley until the end of next season, and it's an interesting question if Burnley would want to keep Cisak if they finish 2nd and get promoted. Anyway, Cisak is maybe the second best Australian keeper that Heart could sign for next season.

I really can't think of any other realistic keepers Heart could sign for next season. Brad Jones, for instance, is contracted for another 2 whole seasons, and he seems pretty settled at Liverpool. Dean Bouzanis is the only other name I can think of. So I reckon the club might well decide to give Redmayne another chance next season (and if he's given another chance as first choice keeper, Velaphi will probably be re-signed as backup).

The goalkeeping situation isn't ideal, and I'm fairly sure Redmayne and Tando won't be around long term, but I can see them sticking around for next season, given the limited alternatives.

Yeah, the only other two I could really think of were Bouzanis and Izzo.

• Like 1

What about Langerak? He is getting splinters on his butt and may be amenable to an approach.

we could only get langerak on loan but I would love to have him for a year or so but federici would be my first Australian choice as we could have him for a number of years, also why couldn't we try to sign another gk in the A-league like theo or galekovic.

Edited by Fentonthescreamingcactus

Massive yes to Galekovic, but no to Langerak unless he's keen on a full-term deal which I highly doubt.

Theo is an interesting one too, he's a pretty top keeper who makes very few mistakes so he'd be good but I'd be surprised if he left Brisbane any time soon.

Redmayne is contracted for next year so we've got him like it or not. For me the choice is either to accept he's going to be first choice, and then to choose a back-up from Tando/Bray/Maynard/Stevanja, or we relegate Redmayne to the bench and bring in a new No. 1 GK.

Personally I rate the GK as one of the key positions on the field. I would have no problem in using a visa player in this position.

Also in terms of all the things we are talking about, don't forget that our new owners are more than able to pay transfer fees if they wish to do so. We are no longer restricted to players on a free transfer.

• Like 1

Redmayne is contracted for next year so we've got him like it or not. For me the choice is either to accept he's going to be first choice, and then to choose a back-up from Tando/Bray/Maynard/Stevanja, or we relegate Redmayne to the bench and bring in a new No. 1 GK.

Personally I rate the GK as one of the key positions on the field. I would have no problem in using a visa player in this position.

Also in terms of all the things we are talking about, don't forget that our new owners are more than able to pay transfer fees if they wish to do so. We are no longer restricted to players on a free transfer.

What sort of keeper we bring in really depends on how much coin Redmayne is on I reckon.  if he is chewing out a fair bit of the salary cap, we can only afford a cheap keeper (doesn't mean that 'keeper won't be good, but they can't be an established star), but if he's not on much then maybe we can afford to bring someone else in, who is more likely to take the top spot.

Plenty of good Aussie keepers out there, thought we could fill this position with home grown talent if we desired.

I personally think the days of having so many 35 and older year Olds is gone for us.

What I see is happening is the core players are being signed on average wages or below to allow us to really secure some better class of VISA players and then fit in some higher paid cap players.

For a player like Williams to sigh within the cap taking the place of a Mifsud is highly beneficial for us.

I'm expecting some big signings in the off season or even before.

Also getting the manager done so soon is such a positive. Stability is important to players so now we can sell the club with a known manager at the helm for three years. Positive steps.

After today's performance I reaffirm what I've thought all along - we need a major clean-out. There is no spirit, no fight, no passion in these players. We spend as much as much time going backwards as forwards. CCM beat us today by the simple expedient of two counter attacks with the ball played along the ground to a man running into space. We were absolute shit all day.

• Like 1

Happy to see the back of Ramsey, Williams, Redmayne, Hoffman and the castaways (Mifsud, Walker, Mitchinson)

Undoing all the hard work of the guys and the back and middle.

13 shots, only 5 on target conceded just 9 (4).

Still relevant, edited for accuracy (todays stats). Edited by LR9

Heart target big-name marquee, Engelaar's future undecided

By Iain Strachan

23/7/2014

Head coach John van 't Schip confirmed the club have begun discussions with their owners over transfer plans, while the status of their wonder-goal scorer is unknown

John van 't Schip says Melbourne Heart have been in preliminary discussions with Manchester City over potential big-name players to succeed David Williams as the club's Australian marquee.

Williams agreed a new deal with Heart last week, but will be paid under the salary cap as part of the terms of his extended contract, freeing up a berth that could be used to lure a high-profile star to the red and white half of Melbourne.

Speaking after his team's 2-1 loss at home to Central Coast Mariners on Sunday, van 't Schip confirmed the process of identifying and securing high calibre reinforcements is already underway.

"Yeah, there are possibilities to have a look in the market," van 't Schip said when asked about the club's potential off-season recruitment.

"We're discussing with the Manchester City Group what's possible and what kind of options there are.

"That's all going to take care or come along now in this period more and more and we'll just have to investigate in the possibilities of players and see what we can do."

One high profile player with his future up in the air is international marquee Orlando Engelaar, who scored from inside his own half against the Mariners and is out of contract at the end of the season.

"It's very short because my appointment (has only been confirmed for) a week," van 't Schip said in regards to a possible new deal for the towering midfielder.

"Of course, we are thinking about things. And I had a little chat with him. But he's having some things that he wants to think over of course and we have also things that we are looking at for the future, so in the coming weeks we'll see what happens."

Central Coast coach Phil Moss freely admitted Engelaar's goal, which came a day after Manchester United's Wayne Rooney grabbed headlines with his own long-range strike, was one of the best goals he's ever seen in person.

"I've seen a couple of them on TV, I've never seen one live," he said, jokingly. 

"Look, it was sheer quality. He didn't even take a touch, he just turned, knew where the goal was and the technical ability to actually execute is of (the) top shelf."

The Mariners boss also said no real blame would be placed on goalkeeper Liam Reddy, who was off his line but could not have anticipated being caught out in such a way.

"These things happen," Moss said with a wry smile.

"He just said to me in the dressing room he's good for one of those a season so hopefully that's the last one."

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2014/03/23/4698736/heart-target-big-name-marquee-engelaars-future-undecided

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

Heart plans for future, Mariners plan for finals

Michael Lynch

March 23, 2014

Melbourne Heart coach John Van ’t Schip conceded that the Manchester City-driven, petro-dollar-fuelled club rebuild starts now with the finals just a mathematical dream for his team following the 2-1 home loss to Central Coast on Sunday in front of a disappointingly low crowd of 5418 fans.

Those supporters who didn’t turn up missed one of the best goals in the nine seasons of the A-League.

Dutch midfielder Orlando Engelaar’s sumptuous strike from his own half, a delicate chip that soared then dipped down over the embarrassed head of out-of-position Mariners shot stopper Liam Reddy, will live long in the memory of those who saw it.

It wasn’t enough, however, to keep Heart in the finals race, although it brought a rueful smile to Van ’t Schip’s face.

Advertisement

‘’It was a great goal, but Orlando and I, we would rather have the three points than the goal,’’ the Dutchman said after the game.

Heart is now seven points behind sixth-placed Newcastle, so any realistic prospect of post-season involvement is hard to imagine with just three games left in the season.

‘’Mathematically it's possible, but normally it's over,’’ the coach said.

Van ’t Schip insists his side will prepare professionally for the final three matches – against Brisbane, Adelaide and Western Sydney – but admitted he would use the fixtures to experiment with players and his team structure ahead of what is likely to be a major transformation next season as the full benefits of Manchester City’s ownership take effect.

The English club is expected to loan or transfer players to its Australian unit to bolster the team’s tilt at the title.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/heart-plans-for-future-mariners-plan-for-finals-20140323-hvlx0.html

John Guidetti please B)

More of a priority though is a few different big players coming to Heart that can form the spine of the team that can be here beyond 1 season. Ideally such players would include a marquee striker, a marquee number 10(central attacking midfielder) and some player with authority in our defensive third, be it a quality defender or goalkeeper (or maybe both).

More details:

Melbourne Heart could pluck Manchester City’s best young talent after takeover

David Davutovic

March 23, 2014

MELBOURNE Heart can cherrypick some of the world’s best young players from Manchester City’s talent factory next A-League season.

Heart coach John van’t Schip, who has re-signed until 2017, and football manager John Didulica will travel to Manchester next month to scout Patrick Vieira’s youth squad that has reached the Under-19 Champions League quarter-finals.

The squad includes Karim Rekik, a Dutch defender who looks set to play against the Socceroos at June’s World Cup after a breakthrough season on loan at PSV Eindhoven.

Youth internationals Devante Cole — son of former England striker Andy Cole — midfielder Seko Fofana (France) and attacker Marco Lopes (Portugal) are also on City’s books.

Heart, who were bought by Manchester City for $11.25 million in January, is more likely to land players a little further from a Premier League breakthrough, or non-English players who could use the A-League as an adaptation step.

“I can’t give you a name and say he’s going, because it’s important that John (van’t Schip) assesses them,’’ City academy director Brian Marwood said.

“It’s pointless sending players that John doesn’t want. He’s got to be comfortable that they’re as good if not better than what he’s already got.

“The two Johns will have a chance to assess the young players in the elite development squad when they arrive and potentially players around Europe in preparation for next season.

“He’ll meet various people at the club including (manager) Manuel Pellegrini and Patrick Vieira, check out the training campus and get them feeling part of something much broader.

“Myself and Txiki (Begiristain) were both impressed with his views and thoughts on the game when we met him in January and we felt he was the right fit for what we were trying to create.’’

Rekik and Lopes were more likely to be in Pellegrini’s plans for next season, but Marwood said Heart and fellow City Group club New York City (which kicks off in 2015) will be a Premier League breeding ground.

“One of the issues in England is that developmental pathway, they get to 18 or 19 here and then what next?’’ he said.

“The what next can be as varied as a player going out on loan and not playing, to someone like Karim, 19, at PSV and playing every game, including against AC Milan in the Champions League — he made his Dutch debut and could go to the World Cup.

“They’re two very big contrasts. Preferably for us they go to places where there’s a similar methodology and Melbourne and New York can give that in terms of the pathway for our young players.

“And greater life experience which will help individuals develop, so to have six-to-nine months somewhere is invaluable progress.

“We don’t put everybody in the same bracket because they all need different things.

“Marco Lopes has played in our first team, in the League Cup semi final and w

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-heart-could-pluck-manchester-citys-best-young-talent-after-takeover/story-fnk6pqhd-1226862549218

Unfortunately the article just cuts off there.

Edited by Murfy1

Good news for next season Murf. I presume from JVS' comments that Engelaar won't be offered a marquee spot but will be offered a place within the salary cap. This would be a sound move. Any EDS players should be able to slot straight into a team playing a similar style so we will likely be competitive from pre-season, especially if we do some of it in Manchester.

Thank goodness things look as though they're about to start happening. But surely, to import a number of Manchester City players means it's curtains for our existing visa players? Inside or outside the cap doesn't matter.

IMO no more of these 30-35 year olds. They were all shown up for lack of pace today. Engelaar might have scored a "wonder-goal" but he can barely raise a trot.