Melbourne Football

Melbourne City's New HQ and Training Facility

Dylan

Brilliant. A massive step forward for this club and Australian football in general. I went for a look at this joint from the outside a few weeks back when I was out at La Trobe and could see it was a pretty impressive set up then, but had no idea it would be as awesome as this!

Perhaps now those who have been criticising the (perceived) lack of activity by CFG will see that they're serious about this 'project' now and are in it for the long haul - I don't care how much money you have, you don't spend $15M on something you're going to leave in a few years. I think this post season is going to be very exciting for us as supporters and members as many of the issues we've seen (and suffered through) this season (and those carried over from before the takeover) are dealt with and we start to build towards the club we should be.

• Like 2

I've watched the video a few times and to be honest I still can't believe how far our club has come. This is a massive step for us in the department that matters the most "Football" !! Everyone including us members and supporters are part of a hugely professional and serious organisation.. and I'm loving it.

It's funny reading tweeter post from Melb. City FC players about how happy they are to be apart of this club. The funny part is there is no guarantee they will be apart of it. Results and performances will determine if a player stays or goes and that in itself shows how far we have come...

379819-81b79bbe-bd6e-11e4-a5f5-f6d8716b3

A fan in red with a "Melburnians" scarf on, interesting.

Also interesting that they seem to have retained the idea of fan songs in soundwave form as part of their branding. Harks back to 2012, when a soundwave of Blue Moon was put onto Man City's shirt. I wonder, which one of your songs is represented by that soundwave? Also interesting to see that the facilities can host 90 employees while there are currently only 35. Clearly a lot of expansion planned.

Really glad you guys all are seeing some positive intent now. It's about time - just wish CFG could've shaken up the squad earlier, but (I think?) we did warn that they might try to give JVS time to prove himself in the same way they kept Mark Hughes on when many expected them to dispense with him straight away. Also interested to see that the Academy will be properly unveiled tomorrow (well, today your time, I guess). I'll be interested to read the details of that.

I was really pleased to see the part about 90 employees, shows ambition.

More from the club's web-site:

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/new-city-football-academy-complex-unveiled-at-la-trobe-university/sksajm896si61n17z537ipkck

I'm interested to see that despite only having 10% interest, Yokohama Marinos are officially "part of the family."

Come on City!

It´s 20% actually.. But to be honest I think CFG is mainly retained to update and give direction to YFM. I doubt that Nissan who are very much "The" Yokohama company will ever sell a majority share to anyone.

It also avoids Fifa issues just having one club per confederation being majority owned.

^^ Fully agree.

Yokohama seem to be more of a corporate partnership with Nissan than anything else. CFG can give advice on football related matters, and Nissan provide commercial support in return. The equity investment seems more of less part of the partnership arangement.

Interesting that Nissan also have a corporate box at AAMI Park, with signage on the front of the box, when Hyundai are the major sponsor. Must show that they are looking to get involved with a more active sponsorship role with us as part of the CFG global strategy too at some stage.

I found a couple of interesting points from the Latrobe University Masterplan 2014.

Masterplan video

Sport & Recreation facilities plan

http://www.latrobe.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/600956/5.4-MMP-Sports-and-Recreation.pdf

A proposed stadium is planned at the corner of Plenty Rd and the new Sports Drive. It looks very much like a football stadium, which makes me wonder what exactly Latrobe Uni had in mind for this.

R&D Park plan

http://www.latrobe.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/600958/5.6-MMP-R-and-D-Park.pdf

The space that CFG have now developed for the CFA Melbourne is actually shown as development land for new commercial activities, which forms part of the R&D Park. The following description was included in the R&D Park document related to the new CFA Melbourne site:

"The Latrobe Melbourne buildings - four single storey rectangular school buildings (and asocciated demountables) that are nearing the end of their economic life"

It does bring into question what CFG has planned for the site in the longer term. For $15 million, there has to be more in it for CFG than a medium term solution, especially as it seems to take away some pressures for Latrobe to find a solution for the buildings that needed replacement. One would hope that it may well be able to expand into the other buildings in future phases if all goes well, but I guess that will depend on the deal that CFG and the university have agreed to.

Further to that, it appears that the Latrobe Melbourne International College has left the site to re-locate to the main campus so all buildings on the CFA Melbourne site should be vacant, or in the process of doing so now.

Edited by Heart_fan

Does anyone else find it strange that the facility cost millions of dollars more than the club itself? I don't know whether to laugh or be concerned.

I still can't believe how impressive the facility is though. Well done to all that were involved and thanks to CFG. 

Does anyone else find it strange that the facility cost millions of dollars more than the club itself? I don't know whether to laugh or be concerned.

I still can't believe how impressive the facility is though. Well done to all that were involved and thanks to CFG. 

$12m+ for the licence to operate the now Melbourne City franchise in the A-League. Extended to 20 years not too long after (for all the franchises).

$15m for the headquarters, plus presumably some sort of rental (although that could be reasonably small, even peppercorn).

But this is also "a strong centre" for CFG's Asia-Pacific operations. At the moment, the principal tenant is Melbourne City.

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/new-city-football-academy-complex-unveiled-at-la-trobe-university/sksajm896si61n17z537ipkck. I would interpret that as signalling an intention to have other arms of CFG co-located at the Academy.

$12m+ for the licence to operate the now Melbourne City franchise in the A-League. Extended to 20 years not too long after (for all the franchises).

$15m for the headquarters, plus presumably some sort of rental (although that could be reasonably small, even peppercorn).

But this is also "a strong centre" for CFG's Asia-Pacific operations. At the moment, the principal tenant is Melbourne City.

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/new-city-football-academy-complex-unveiled-at-la-trobe-university/sksajm896si61n17z537ipkck. I would interpret that as signalling an intention to have other arms of CFG co-located at the Academy.

I wonder what the 20% Storm ownership involvement eventuates at La trobe if any.

^^ I did think about that the other day, but still can't see where the Storm involvement fits in at this club.

They certainly have no room at Latrobe to fit them in to include a base, so I do struggle to see what this relationship with CFG is bringing them.

They certainly are making it clear that this is an Asia-Pacific base for CFG, which does make things more interesting.

It has plenty of other buildings in the complex that it can renovate to use for an Academy if it can down the track. The only issue is space for fields on that site, as it is fairly maxed out. The space where the 3 marked half field community pitches is about all that exists there.

Edited by Heart_fan

One thing I haven't seen, is there a players/staff lounge area in the facility?

In Manchester, they have built a few of those type of facilities into the facility, along with some indoor sports areas. I know that we don't have those yet, but a lounge area would be good.

yes the Asia-Pacific angle is interesting. Now with Yokohama Marinos in the group we may find that the facilities will be used by other members of the group. It may even be possible to have mini-tournaments for the CFG group. not to mention the VPL sides.

Considering that Manchester City may well be basing themselves in Australia for their pre-season, this would likely be a good asset for them too.

A high quality pitch, gym and recovery facilities would give them a good base to prepare.

Edited by Heart_fan

I might be totally wrong but I could imagine that CFA Melbourne will eventually provide pitches and services to visiting clubs and even clubs arriving for a short training camp.. and that´s why everything must be first class, they will be charged for the privilege of course.

yes the Asia-Pacific angle is interesting. Now with Yokohama Marinos in the group we may find that the facilities will be used by other members of the group. It may even be possible to have mini-tournaments for the CFG group. not to mention the VPL sides.

To be honest, tournaments (or at least regular friendlies) between the CFG sides is something I've expected to happen since Day One. The more teams that get added to CFG, and the more that CFG teams keep going to stay with other CFG teams (admittedly all the visiting has been into Manchester so far) the more this seems likely. That said, I can't see a proper tournament between all teams happening - the different teams' fixture lists are far too diverse for all teams to be free and able to play semi-competitive matches at the same time. Similarly, much as I'd love to see Manchester City EDS, Melbourne City Youth and NYCFC Academy (when they have built it up to u-18/u-21 level) play a tournament, I'm not sure how much youth/reserve sides will get included in this stuff. Still, I'm virtually certain that the different CFG teams will go on tours to each others' facilities with some frequency.

One thing I haven't seen, is there a players/staff lounge area in the facility?

In Manchester, they have built a few of those type of facilities into the facility, along with some indoor sports areas. I know that we don't have those yet, but a lounge area would be good.

Considering that Manchester City may well be basing themselves in Australia for their pre-season, this would likely be a good asset for them too.

A high quality pitch, gym and recovery facilities would give them a good base to prepare.

I can't see anything about a players' lounge but there must be something. A canteen of sorts with some leisure facilities at least.

One other thing that could be added to all of these facilities is other sports-based service facilities. The next stage of building the Etihad Campus in Manchester is supposedly the creation of a Sports Science Institute which combines world-class research facilities with health and recovery facilities which they want to be of a high enough standard that not just football teams but sports teams of all categories from around the world are willing to pay City in order to fly in their injured players and have them treated in one of the world's top-standard facilities. Now, flying from Asia to Manchester is quite a long distance, and while the Asia-Pacific region doesn't have as many sports teams as Eurasia and North America do, considering that La Trobe is already a University, I can very much see them looking to have some kind of cooperative building mixing University Sports Science with actual player recovery equipment. Of course, this is probably a little way in the future, if I'm even guessing right.

I would assume that this was phase 1 of the development with more planned.

If they want to create an academy, this current offering will not go far in achieving that goal yet.

With plenty of space to develop and existing buildings that it can refurbish if it wants to, there is at least some scope for additional growth phases.

Being greedy here but I'd love to see an indoor pitch built like there is in Manchester. Would be good for pre-season and youth development in winter months, and could be a good revenue stream for the centre from other users too.

Still very curious what Latrobe had in mind for a football stadium in their masterplan though :)

dF1Zu1l.jpg

8xzD19T.jpg

O5FEsTZ.jpg

hjPQ2q5.jpg

aARx5cQ.jpg

Path that leads from the HQ to the pitch

c5vy84S.jpg

5c4XFuB.jpg

At the back of the building is Melbourne City loading dock and other older facilities. Definitely plenty of space to build and expand. This road leads to Crissane Rd whch runs off Waterdale Rd. It's much more accessible than the old HQ.

The outside looks better than in the pictures, but the best part is once your inside the reception you would think your in a five star fascility. Looks absolutely fantastic from the limited view I got to see. Unfortunately I couldn't get access to any other parts of the HQ.

Also, I didn't get a picture of it but through one of the doors I saw a whole wall covered with a break down explanation of each part of the Melbourne City emblem.

• Like 5

Thanks for the pic updates niko.

One thing I find interesting is that they spent $15 million but didn't even appear to finish off the facade in the same material on the back of the building (as shown in the pic after the Loading dock).

Certainly a great start by the club.

Edited by Heart_fan

One thing I find interesting is that they spent $15 million but didn't even appear to finish off the facade in the same material on the back of the building (as shown in the pic after the Loading dock).

Haven't been there myself, but from the look of the image of the loading dock (markings on the concrete slab) there is still work to be done on the facility.

Haven't been there myself, but from the look of the image of the loading dock (markings on the concrete slab) there is still work to be done on the facility.

Yeah, seems like they just wanted to get the main facility open first and do any other cosmetic work done afterwards. It makes sense.

Excited to see what they have planned for the rest of the facility in the coming years.