Melbourne Football

Josh Kennedy

Kiro Kompiro

63 goals in 128 games for Nagoya.

20 goals in 36 games for Australia.

Definitely the player not good enough and nothing to do with the tactics or the manager :hmm:

The reference to our "style of play" was a slight dig at our coach. To be honest i have no idea what our style of play is.

I do stand by my belief that he is a little weak on the ball.

I also think that the recent injury setbacks have contributed to a poor return, be it in the J-League, Socceroos, or City.

Why is it that i cannot remember the last time Kennedy has scored with his foot?

Honestly go on youtube and see where Joshua Kennedy has scored most his goals.

I reckon about 50% of them are headers, a lot of them very good headed goals TBH, that's his bread and butter. Often people will see a tall player like Kennedy and think all they are good for is headers, usually they are wrong, but in Kennedy's case it's pretty true. But he is very good at it, you pick him out with a cross and there is no one in the league likelier to convert it into a goal. The other way he scores a lot of his goals are also just in the box, a lot of tap-ins as MaliMate likes to point out, but IMO scoring tap-ins is still an important skill and worth quite a few goals a season.

The problem is where are the crosses to Kennedy?

He is not at all a rounded player. But he is almost world class in his ability to score headed goals, if he was well rounded he wouldn't be playing in the A-League.

With Kennedy you need to be:

1: Crossing the ball too him in the box

AND/OR

2. Having players flood the box to cause a bit of mayhem and get the ball in there and he is good at getting a scrappy tap in with his feet

Unfortunately that's not the way we play. Kennedy is not one for JVS' style, not sure why he was signed in the first place the way he is being played.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

We must all agree that at some stage in our lives, we can never replicate tomorrow what was achieved yesterday.

It becomes irrelevant what players have done in the past, or how many goals they have scored.  

With that theory, Robbie Flower / Heskey /  should have scored 20 goals a season in the a-league.  

All that is relevant is the now. And now he is not performing.

We must all agree that at some stage in our lives, we can never replicate tomorrow what was achieved yesterday.

It becomes irrelevant what players have done in the past, or how many goals they have scored.  

With that theory, Robbie Flower / Heskey /  should have scored 20 goals a season in the a-league.  

Sure, but I dont think that's the case with Kennedy, I just dont think he is being played the way he should be. Age and injuries may be a factor, but honestly it's hard to tell when he isn't played to his strengths. His game isn't really reliant on things like pace/acceleration/stamina so I'm not convinced he is one that would easily lose his ability due to age/injuries.

• Like 2

Sure, but I dont think that's the case with Kennedy, I just dont think he is being played the way he should be. Age and injuries may be a factor, but honestly it's hard to tell when he isn't played to his strengths. His game isn't really reliant on things like pace/acceleration/stamina so I'm not convinced he is one that would easily lose his ability due to age/injuries.

Valid points.

Lets home he can be as "timeless" as Peter Crouch.  1 in 4 isn't too bad for a bench warmer.

Valid points.

Lets home he can be as "timeless" as Peter Crouch.  1 in 4 isn't too bad for a bench warmer.

Somewhat off topic, but Crouch is a good example of what I mean when I say people often assume a tall striker is only good for headed goals, and often it's not the case. Definitely applies to crouch, very good with his feet for a really lanky guy.

• Like 1

I don't really see what Mifsud has to do with the Kennedy argument. Mifsud turned out to be a poor signing for whatever reason, but at least he was fit and playing regularly, and he was by no means a marquee. The reason I used the term "ill-advised signing" for Kennedy is that he has carried a back injury for quite some time, is manifestly not match fit because he had not played for months before he joined us, doesn't really suit our style of play because good crosses into the box have never been an integral part of our team play, and to cap it all he occupies a marquee spot for another season.

The reason we are a bottom half team is because we don't learn from past mistakes.

I don't really see what Mifsud has to do with the Kennedy argument. Mifsud turned out to be a poor signing for whatever reason, but at least he was fit and playing regularly, and he was by no means a marquee. The reason I used the term "ill-advised signing" for Kennedy is that he has carried a back injury for quite some time, is manifestly not match fit because he had not played for months before he joined us, doesn't really suit our style of play because good crosses into the box have never been an integral part of our team play, and to cap it all he occupies a marquee spot for another season.

The reason we are a bottom half team is because we don't learn from past mistakes.

I'm coming around to this point of view as well with one proviso - the Kennedy was not meant to be effective this season but next season. That is, the club is  aiming to have him fully fit and ready for next season rather than this season. Then that would mean that during the winter break the club would look at players that can complement Kennedy. Of course, under this scenario, this would mean that the club never had lofty expectations for this season. Something that I am not comfortable with.

I think the irony here is in our earlier seasons with JVS we put in a lot of crosses when we didn't have a striker capable of dealing with it. Now we have Kennedy we are largely playing with wingers like Novillo, Koren out of position and Williams who cut in or drift centrally and don't provide crosses.

FWIW Kennedy has had a fair few headers denied by excellent saves in the 9 games he has been here if one or two of those go in 3 from 9 is serviceable. RE: Kaliderjovic isn't he taking penalties as well? In the games I've watched of brisbane he has looked fairly toothless but admittedly that isn't many I've watched.

Kennedy also regularly knocks balls down to dangerous positions where there is no one running off him. Just seems a disconnect between him and those around him. Which falls back to the coach imo.

Kennedy is clearly cooked physically but a player of his ilk it shouldn't matter too much if you play to his strengths. He is a goalscorer who we should be playing to his strengths not slotting him in and expecting him adjust his game which has worked for him for so long at a much higher level than our league.

Edited by perthheart
  • Like 3

If Sydney had signed Kennedy instead of Janko he'd be scoring at the same rate as Janko is for Sydney. If we'd signed Janko instead of Kennedy, he'd be scoring at the same rate as Kennedy is for us. They are similar players but Sydney is using Janko well, we aren't using Kennedy

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 3

We must all agree that at some stage in our lives, we can never replicate tomorrow what was achieved yesterday. It becomes irrelevant what players have done in the past, or how many goals they have scored.   With that theory, Robbie Flower / Heskey /  should have scored 20 goals a season in the a-league.   All that is relevant is the now. And now he is not performing.

Sure, but I dont think that's the case with Kennedy, I just dont think he is being played the way he should be. Age and injuries may be a factor, but honestly it's hard to tell when he isn't played to his strengths. His game isn't really reliant on things like pace/acceleration/stamina so I'm not convinced he is one that would easily lose his ability due to age/injuries. I agree he isn't being used well, but he does also have injury issues (not being able to play a full game when he joined the team, being rested instead of going to Perth) which don't help.

I assume when we signed him we expected to have Duff on the field to cross to Kennedy, but I don't know why our plan for next season was/is. Sign new players? Intensive offseason training for our current wingers?

Definitely the player not good enough and nothing to do with the tactics or the manager :hmm:

Strong context lol.

Goals vs. midgets and the likes of Oman/Liechtenstein. Sounds like when cunts would bring up Mifsud's goalscoring records.

Why don't you put up his stats for his decade spent in Europe?

If Sydney had signed Kennedy instead of Janko he'd be scoring at the same rate as Janko is for Sydney. If we'd signed Janko instead of Kennedy, he'd be scoring at the same rate as Kennedy is for us. They are similar players but Sydney os using Janko well, we aren't using Kennedy

janko still plays for austria, kennedy doesn't even get a look in with aus and we have no strikers

If Sydney had signed Kennedy instead of Janko he'd be scoring at the same rate as Janko is for Sydney. If we'd signed Janko instead of Kennedy, he'd be scoring at the same rate as Kennedy is for us. They are similar players but Sydney os using Janko well, we aren't using Kennedy

Janko also took half a season to get going as well. 

Goals v midgets isn't neccasarily an accurate description of the j-league either. Most j-league teams have one or two international cb's. Usually angry Balkans. A mate who lives in Osaka reckons the Japanese blame this trait for their Nt's defensive issues. I would say his more recent j-league stats are a better context than his European form from years ago or international form.

• Like 2

janko still plays for austria, kennedy doesn't even get a look in with aus and we have no strikers

True, but if Kennedy gets fit and scores then he'll also be playing for the Socceroos. If we find a way to use his abilities this may happen, if we keep using him in the bizarre fashion that we are doing at the moment it will never happen.

Strong context lol.

Goals vs. midgets and the likes of Oman/Liechtenstein. Sounds like when cunts would bring up Mifsud's goalscoring records.

Why don't you put up his stats for his decade spent in Europe?

His Asian stats are most relevant. They are the most recent and they're in a league whose quality is much closer to the A-League.

He has also scored against the Netherlands and Denmark for Australia, hardly midgets.

Strong context lol.

Why don't you put up his stats for his decade spent in Europe? His Asian stats are most relevant. They are the most recent and they're in a league whose quality is much closer to the A-League.

He has also scored against the Netherlands and Denmark for Australia, hardly midgets.

Brings up friendlies lolol.

Mifsud has scored against Croatia & Czech Republic in competitive matches more recently than what Kennedy scored in those friendlies so by your logic Mifsud>Kennedy.

Strong context lol.

Why don't you put up his stats for his decade spent in Europe? His Asian stats are most relevant. They are the most recent and they're in a league whose quality is much closer to the A-League.

Brings up friendlies lolol.

Mifsud has scored against Croatia & Czech Republic in competitive matches more recently than what Kennedy scored in those friendlies so by your logic Mifsud>Kennedy.

Did a kid named Kennedy pick on you at school?

Strong context lol.

Why don't you put up his stats for his decade spent in Europe?His Asian stats are most relevant. They are the most recent and they're in a league whose quality is much closer to the A-League.

He has also scored against the Netherlands and Denmark for Australia, hardly midgets. Brings up friendlies lolol.

Did a kid named Kennedy pick on you at school?

Only way to explain this crazy hatred of Kennedy. Or maybe his lack of Southern European heritage?

Second best player in the squad, only Mooy is better. Doesn't get a pass/cross even within 2m of him but still manages to chest it down or lay off a pass to a team mate.

Build the team around him next season.

Its not a fashionable position here but I agree with you. He isn't fast or mobile but what he does he does very well. We aren't using him at all.

Not my favorite player but you're too harsh. His only one service he got tonight and you're judging him on that? At least he never butchers his chances when he gets it into the goal mouth like Willo.

offers absolutely nothing defensively and very little going forward, atleast willo can press

shows how bad we are when being able to press gets you game time

Second best player in the squad, only Mooy is better. Doesn't get a pass/cross even within 2m of him but still manages to chest it down or lay off a pass to a team mate.

Build the team around him next season.

Its not a fashionable position here but I agree with you. He isn't fast or mobile but what he does he does very well. We aren't using him at all.

I think along these lines. The fellow can hardly walk and he didn't sign himself. Nor did he set the game plan.

• Like 2

Competitive streak drives clan of Melbourne City striker Josh Kennedy

DAVID DAVUTOVIC

MAY 02, 2015

THERE’S keeping up with the Jones’, then there’s competing with the Kennedy’s.

Rather than a thirst for the latest gadgets and cars, it’s a competitive streak in everything from backyard sport to cards for Josh and Jacinta Kennedy and their three kids.

“If we’re playing Uno then I would be (more competitive). One on one (basketball) in the backyard, she is,’’ Josh Kennedy said.

“We’ve got a hoop on the garage like everyone should. She gets her arms up and gets serious.

“My son definitely has (a competitive streak), he’s in love with soccer and basketball, every spare minute he’s out there and running around like a crazy man.

“My girls have started playing basketball and they love it. My older one is eight and she knows winning and losing now, where the middle one is happy to play and run around have a bit of a laugh.’’

Rivalry is in the genes, for Josh and Jacinta have both represented Australia at the highest level in their respective sports.

Melbourne City striker Josh has won 36 Socceroos caps and scored some key goals among his 20.

Jacinta Kennedy (nee Hamilton) made her debut for the Opals at age 21 in 2003, but retired just three years later to start a family.

The kids have got used to their dad being stopped by randoms, particularly in Japan, where Josh was a J.League star.

Not to be outdone, mum has come out of retirement and resumed her career with Dandenong Ranges in the SEABL.

“In Japan they always asked why strange people would come up and take a photo,’’ he said.

“My son’s (age four) probably a bit too young to get it. He knows I play soccer, but he probably thinks I’ve got a job on the side.

“I’ve taken him in the rooms to meet the boys after a game, but he probably thinks it’s a fun thing. I could tell him I’m world champion and he would believe me.

“They just don’t like is when dad goes on trips.

“It’s good to see Jacinta back doing what she loves, although not at level she used to play at.’’

Is an Opals comeback on he cards for Jacinta, who won Commonwealth gold in 2006?

“Those days might be past her. She’s had thoughts of playing in the WNBL again, but she said she’s got to be an outstanding player at SEABL level to warrant a position. So far she has so we could be in trouble next season,’’ he said.

“She’s realistic as well, she knows with the kids the time commitment’s extremely difficult and the priority’s our family so she’s not in a dreamworld about winning Olympic gold.

“I think she’s won gold with the three kids and they’re happy and healthy.’’

Though no less competitive once she crosses the white stripe, Jacinta’s low key return contrasts with Kennedy’s Australian marquee status at Melbourne City.

“Not that my sport is more important than hers, but she understands the importance of my role at this club and the reason I’m here, so it’s good to have her behind me,’’ Josh said.

“She played the same day we played Adelaide, I called up to say congratulations and she just told me to focus on my game.

“They’re about four games in and they’ve won them all, she’s doing very well.’’

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/competitive-streak-drives-clan-of-melbourne-city-striker-josh-kennedy/story-fnk6pqhd-1227332344019