Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

A development about NYC FC, but still it suggests a bit about how Sheikh Mansour and the City Group might approach Heart and the A-League:

Etihad Airways becomes Major League Soccer’s newest sponsor

Joe Prince-Wright

Mar 25, 2014

Sometimes when you put two and two together, you make four. And this is one of those occasions.

Etihad Airways is the flag carrier of the United Arab Emirates, where Sheikh Mansour Bin Zayed al Nahyan is deputy prime minister, and it is Sheikh Mansour who is buying and setting up Major League Soccer’s 21st franchise, New York City FC. Connecting the dots, his country’s airline will now be pumping plenty of money into the league for the foreseeable future.

MLS announced on Tuesday that a deal has been struck with Etihad to became the league’s newest sponsor.

Major League Soccer stated that “Etihad Airways and MLS will also work together on a number of activations and initiatives including community programs, as well as hosting competitions and promotions for flights and holidays with MLS fans.”

While James Hogan, President and Chief Executive Officer of Etihad Airways had the following to say.

“Etihad Airways has a growing portfolio of sports properties that cover the globe and we’re delighted to now add Major League Soccer, a leading international sports brand, to this group.”

But what does it mean for MLS to partner with Eithad?

It certainly means the league will benefit financially from the deal, which is paramount to the development of not only MLS but also soccer in North America overall. Also, it strengthens the bond between Mansour and the league, and it proves that the man who owns three other soccer clubs, Manchester City, Melbourne Heart and Al Jazira, is keen to pour money into the league as well as benefiting from NYC FC’s creation.

It is a win, win for everyone concerned, as Mansour’s glowing portfolio aims to reach more markets across the globe. Bringing a second MLS side to New York and more investment into the league is likely to make other MLS owners extremely happy, and get the franchise up and running on everyone’s good side.

Is this just the start of MLS driving its outreach to attract huge global brands?

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/25/report-etihad-airways-to-become-major-league-soccers-newest-sponsor/

Sheikh Mansour pouring money into the league of one of his new clubs. Is it just a matter of time before Etihad becomes an A-League sponsor? Hopefully Heart and/or the A-League likewise gets due attention.

Edited by Murfy1

Erm, Etihad is not really something Sheikh Mansour is involved with personally.. He don´t have a say on what they do I mean.

That said the extended Al-Nahyan family might be said to control Etihad of course.

Both the Chairman and Vice-Chairman are family members aren't they?

Erm, Etihad is not really something Sheikh Mansour is involved with personally.. He don´t have a say on what they do I mean.

That said the extended Al-Nahyan family might be said to control Etihad of course.

Both the Chairman and Vice-Chairman are family members aren't they?

Yes, half-brothers.. So it ain´t like they would listen if Sheikh Mansour tried to tell them what do to. So everything is based on mutual benefit.

I think M13's point is that Etihad is not a private company, it's owned and controlled by the state. Etihad has latched onto City as we are doing a great job of advertising Abu Dhabi globally but national corporations should not jump at the sound of a private company's voice, and it would be an insult to Abu Dhabi to suggest that government institutions are treated as subordinate to Manchester City.

Better not make us play home games at Etihad

Do you mean Docklands (Aka Colonial Stadium , aka Telstra Dome)

There is nothing say to the MRS wont change from AAMI to Etihad or whoever throws the next bucket of cash at it!

Edited by schrecky

Better not make us play home games at Etihad

Do you mean Docklands (Aka Colonial Stadium , aka Telstra Dome)

There is nothing say to the MRS wont change from AAMI to Etihad or whoever throws the next bucket of cash at it!

I think he was referring not so much to the name but to that horrible stadium with the roof in the docklands.

Worsest (here is a new word for you) place to play soccer in this country

Those quotes are from David Davutovic's in depth feature. He took a trip to Manchester, got exclusive access to City's $380 million dollar training facility, and interviewed multiple players, Patrick Vieira, City Football Services managing director Brian Marwood and possibly others.

The full quote is:

The City Football Group has kept the status quo since buying Heart for $11.25m in January but big changes are expected once the A-League season concludes in May.

They include a name change from Heart to Melbourne City, high-calibre signings including marquees and guest players and, most likely, the change of home strip to sky blue.

Other quotes include:

Heart coach John van't Schip and football manager John Didulica will be the first two officials to travel to Manchester in April, when they will meet City manager Manuel Pellegrini, director of football Txiki Begiristain, City Football Services managing director Brian Marwood and New York City FC coach Jason Kreis.

Marwood said it would be a landmark occasion but revealed a uniquely Australian flavour will be added to Heart's plans.

"In Manchester we did a full audit of what he had and what was in the marketplace. We've still got that research and we need to give it an Australian flavour," Marwood said.

"Their visit will be a bit of an induction process in terms of our methodology, philosophy, culture, behaviours. There's much planning to be done for the start of next season.

"What we saw in Melbourne was good, but it needs uplifting, refreshing. It needs more resources.

"The people we've found there are very good... they need support and we've started that process"

Melbourne Heart's youth structure will also be greatly improved, and Marwood said Heart and City would be joined at the hip.

John van't Schip's side is likely to travel to Manchester in July to start its pre-season and the youth team could get even greater access along with New York City FC.

"This is the mother ship and we would be fully expecting young players from Melbourne and New York to come and spend time here and aid in that development and have that experience to come to what we believe is one of the best training campuses in the world," Marwood said.

"They will get access to all of that and at certain times of the year we will bring them together and put that together with the elite of England, America and Australia and it will create almost an elite masterclasses.

"The boys will have a great experience and hopefully it will signpost young players to want to be part of Melbourne Heart's academy versus Victory and what other clubs have got."

Marwood, who speaks at least weekly with his Heart counterparts, said there would be a huge focus on youth in Melbourne.

What we've done here gives you an idea of how serious we are about youth development," he said.

Also, here's some text from an article today by Michael Cockerill:

It was Central Coast Mariners, of course, who set the bar by building the A-League’s first CoE [Centre of Excellence] at Tuggerah. Other clubs are now trying to catch up, and the arrival of Manchester City’s billions (they’re rumoured to be about to spend $20 million on developing a CoE for Melbourne Heart/City at Latrobe University) has quickened the pace as the game – as a whole  – sees the benefits of taking the development pathway to a new level.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/sydney-fc-and-sydney-olympic-to-slug-it-out-over-centre-of-excellence-20140330-zqom5.html

The reporting by Davutovic pretty much is the most authoritative reporting done on Heart and the club's forthcoming developments. 

Unfortunately it does sound like Manchester City have taken a non-compromising approach, and are going to fully sweep away Melbourne Heart's identity. 

Well, I guess they didn't buy the franchise to perpetually be bottom four. But the way it's expressed it does seem rather more hard line than before.

If all those changes are made then they will have to have had the approval of FFA, and it would appear that the other Melbourne City will have rolled over.

All the rest seems OK - the Academy at Latrobe, emphasis on youth, the visits to the "mother ship", the induction process for JvS and JD, high-calibre signings, etc.

Maybe there will be other sweeteners. Let's wait and see - we're powerless anyway.

Well, I guess they didn't buy the franchise to perpetually be bottom four. But the way it's expressed it does seem rather more hard line than before.

If all those changes are made then they will have to have had the approval of FFA, and it would appear that the other Melbourne City will have rolled over.

All the rest seems OK - the Academy at Latrobe, emphasis on youth, the visits to the "mother ship", the induction process for JvS and JD, high-calibre signings, etc.

Maybe there will be other sweeteners. Let's wait and see - we're powerless anyway.

Agree that 'the rest' is fine. The resources that will be provided all sound excellent.

But it is such a Faustian pact. Going off the reported information, it sounds like the soul of the club will be sold for success. All of the markers, name, crest, colours, kits and more, sound like they will all be gone. So I can't help but think that it won't feel like the club I and everyone has supported throughout numerous tough years. I find it hard to imagine that there will be much passionate support when this re-branded team takes to the field. Sure, there might be bums on seats, and some decent merchandise sales, but it's hard to imagine that there will be passionate support for a club that overwhelmingly mirrors the Manchester original.

The FFA were always going to roll over and accept whatever City wanted, as long as City want to stay around and pour money into the league. The question was always what City wanted to do, and if they were honest when they said that this Melbourne club won't be a "mini-Manchester City". Apparently they weren't.

And supporters aren't really 'powerless'. It's true that supporters of A-League clubs aren't powerful in the A-League franchise system, but no one needs to take decisions that a club makes lying down. Heart supporters didn't take John Aloisi's appointment as coach for a second season lying down, and change ultimately came. Supporters can always make their opinions known, and clubs don't want unhappy and vocally displeased supporters.

If Man City think they can just steamroll Melbourne Heart and the club's identity, they've got another thing coming.

I'm not buying a membership if we change colours, simple as that.

• Like 2

Agree that 'the rest' is fine. The resources that will be provided all sound excellent.

But it is such a Faustian pact. Going off the reported information, it sounds like the soul of the club will be sold for success. All of the markers, name, crest, colours, kits and more, sound like they will all be gone. So I can't help but think that it won't feel like the club I and everyone has supported throughout numerous tough years. I find it hard to imagine that there will be much passionate support when this re-branded team takes to the field. Sure, there might be bums on seats, and some decent merchandise sales, but it's hard to imagine that there will be passionate support for a club that overwhelmingly mirrors the Manchester original.

The FFA were always going to roll over and accept whatever City wanted, as long as City want to stay around and pour money into the league. The question was always what City wanted to do, and if they were honest when they said that this Melbourne club won't be a "mini-Manchester City". Apparently they weren't.

And supporters aren't really 'powerless'. It's true that supporters of A-League clubs aren't powerful in the A-League franchise system, but no one needs to take decisions that a club makes lying down. Heart supporters didn't take John Aloisi's appointment as coach for a second season lying down, and change ultimately came. Supporters can always make their opinions known, and clubs don't want unhappy and vocally displeased supporters.

If Man City think they can just steamroll Melbourne Heart and the club's identity, they've got another thing coming.

Really well put.

I would be disappointed if City didn't take into account the Heart's fans wishes.

The article doesn't quote anyone saying we will change the colours, but assumes we will.

From what I have seen from the club's owners is very different than riding roughshod over supporters wishes.

Therefore I am not convinced this has been decided by them. 

• Like 1

If it ain't broke don't fix it ... but we are well and truly in line for a fix up.

Still think the changes will be good and I think City are smart enough to know they need to keep the current supporters / members onside.

It seems the biggest possible issue and the one thing supporters are NOT prepared to give up on, is the Red & White.

I can't actually recall any official line or comment from City or the current management suggesting that this is going to happen. In the fan survey changing from Red and White was not a question.

If this is something that just happens then the relationship b/w owners and supporters will not be amicable.

Silva10, Davutovic has spent some time at the club, speaking with people from the top all the way down to the bottom.

He generally isn't wrong, and never writes anything without having some evidence. If true, it's a real shame that the owners would disrespect us that much. But I ain't surprised...

It may not be much, but I reckon they could lose half of the current fan base with just this move alone

Edited by LR9
  • Like 1

I think the real question on everyones mind though is would this forum be re-named and continued If the worse case scenario was to happen? This forum is half the reason I'm so much into heart, have learnt so much about football on here its not funny.

would be sad if the forum was to go.

Silva10, Davutovic has spent some time at the club, speaking with people from the top all the way down to the bottom.

He generally isn't wrong, and never writes anything without having some evidence. If true, it's a real shame that the owners would disrespect us that much. But I ain't surprised...

It may not be much, but I reckon they could lose half of the current fan base with just this move alone. It kinda sucks, I would have loved to be part of the revolution, always had my doubts on backing a HAL side, guess I was right.

Well I am surprised he has not definitely come out and said it will change if he knows. Also not quoting anyone at Heart or City suggests to me it's his belief rather than what something he has been told.

I do hope that the Red & White is kept. It would be a very bad move from City if it wasn't.

Edited by silva10
  • Like 1

Well, it's probably better they get it out in the open in May as opposed to September. Gives us plenty of time to use their words against them "Listen to the fans" and "this won't be a mini manchester city" are ones that come to mind. Nothing but a bunch of lying cunts.

Surprisingly, after just the two months here I feel quite hurt myself that the possibility of the colour change is still there, as I very much side with keeping the red and white and am becoming quite attached to your shirts. That said, I am also more than just a little hurt at people using the "c*nt" word about my club (meaning MCFC, not Heart) on the simple presumption that this will happen, with nothing definite to base it on.

At any rate, I'll be reserving judgment until it actually happens, one way or the other.

• Like 4

@Murfy1 quotes Davuto as saying:

"They include a name change from Heart to Melbourne City, high-calibre signings including marquees and guest players and, most likely, the change of home strip to sky blue."

The bit about change of home strip is prefaced by the words "most likely" whereas there are no qualifiers around the other aspects. We're on a ride with the new owners and the thing we can do, at the end of the day, is walk away from the club if we feel we're being taken as suckers. If people feel cold and unimpressed about a change of colors, if that's what happens and people don't turn up to games, who does MCFC reckon are waiting in the wings to fill the empty seats left by supporters? What kind of a club are they going to look like coming in and wiping the slate and pissing off local supporters? It won't play well for MCFC in Australian football circles they can be assured of that.

Agree with everyone's sentiment, for the life of me I cannot believe they would just change the colours. Soccer (I grew up in the 80s calling it this and will continue) is about emotion and connection as soon as you start playing around with people's emotions there will be a backlash. I am new to this forum (new to the Internet in general) and i am amazed by the passion and high level of understanding of the vast majority of the contributors here. If and it's a big if they have decided to change our team colours this club is doomed. You DON'T just change something so fundamental. A statement has to be made by the supporters on our last home game. This must not be allowed to happen. Period!

Surprisingly, after just the two months here I feel quite hurt myself that the possibility of the colour change is still there, as I very much side with keeping the red and white and am becoming quite attached to your shirts. That said, I am also more than just a little hurt at people using the "c*nt" word about my club (meaning MCFC, not Heart) on the simple presumption that this will happen, with nothing definite to base it on.

At any rate, I'll be reserving judgment until it actually happens, one way or the other.

If you beginning to feel somewhat attached to red & white just imagine how we feel after 4 years of blood sweat and tears in those colours.

We had more grief then success with small sprinkling of occasional good times yet we stand tall and sing out hearts out every week!!!

In those colours!!

In Australia we have more then enough of blue teams and one of them in the same city.

How would city supporters feel if a Russian tzar bought man city and decided you will play in red at home.

I for one will find it extremely difficult if perhaps impossible to stand next to new fans at AAMI who are wearing sky blue and sing "c'mon you boys in blue". ................ I won't sorry.

As for C..t word used here, it's just a bit of butt hurt, disappointment and frustration aimed at the suits deciding the faith of our club, not at Manchester city supporters

Edited by Jestr

If you beginning to feel somewhat attached to red & white just imagine how we feel after 4 years of blood sweat and tears in those colours.

We had more grief then success with small sprinkling of occasional good times yet we stand tall and sing out hearts out every week!!!

In those colours!!

In Australia we have more then enough of blue teams and one of them in the same city.

How would city supporters feel if a Russian tzar bought man city and decided you will play in red at home.

I for one will find it extremely difficult if perhaps impossible to stand next to new fans at AAMI who are wearing sky blue and sing "c'mon you boys in blue". ................ I won't sorry.

As for C..t word used here, it's just a bit of butt hurt, disappointment and frustration aimed at the suits deciding the faith of our club, not at Manchester city supporters

Oh I know. You don't have to suggest these things to me, I already know what I would be like about it happening to City. That's why I've supported you keeping your colours from the very start.

As for the swearing, I understand that it's just emotions running over, and I know that no offence was meant and there are no hard feelings. It's just that, as you guys yourself have said about Heart, the fans ARE the club, and that means that any strong language aimed at City on the off-chance of something possibly happening automatically becomes strong language aimed at the fans, and it hurts to read it. Of course, if it actually does happen then I'll be just as disappointed as you all, and I will hardly feel justified in raising a complaint, but at the moment, when nothing is confirmed and we haven't even so much as heard a peep from the senior management, it's not easy for me to read.

But as I say, I understand that this is an emotionally-charged point for you all, so I won't speak up again if any of you feel incited to vent. I am, as I have stated, on your side on this.

Edited by Falastur
  • Like 1

"Most likely" "It´s assumed that" etc.. I just wish they stuck with what people they talked to are actually saying instead of adding stuff because it´s "assumed" that something will happen.

For me that's the key point. It looks like the main man acting as the interface between Manchester and Melbourne at the moment is Brian Marwood, and when I read Murf's post again I see that the quotes are all attributed to him (i.e.Marwood). And those quotes are all positive as far as I can see. What he says about Melbourne is that "What we saw in Melbourne was good, but it needs uplifting, refreshing. It needs more resources." He also seems to have mentioned  "adding an Australian flavour" (what ever that means, although it seems to be referring to the playing squad) to Heart's plans.

Perhaps I'm trying to look at things in the most favourable light that I can, but nowhere is Marwood actually quoted as even mentioning name, colours, logo etc. In fact, the more you read the quotes you realise that Marwood is not quoted on any other subject except the football aspect of the links between the two clubs. He's not even quoted on $ or any other numbers - just the catch-all "...it needs more resources."

The suppositions at the start of the article are added in by Davutovic. They may of course have substance behind them, especially if he did indeed interview other Manchester people (which he probably did - we'll know if we see further articles), but I don't think they can be inferred from what Brian Marwood is quoted as having said.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2