Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

I think some of us felt (and many have expressed) that we had become stale, lacked ambition and needed some sort of rebranding with new owners to take this club forward.

While some people don't like some of the new changes, there is no doubt that our new owners are ambitious with an eye on youth development, big marques and playing an attractive and attacking game, something that has been lacking the past couple of seasons.

We will no longer be a club looked down upon by others and instead seen as the new powerhouse in this league and feared and admired by those same supporters. Maybe not admired by our tard neighbours though but definitely feared. I can smell it already.

Of course words will mean nothing until we win titles but I am optimistic now that we have a much better chance to see this club of ours rise to the top and eventually become the biggest team in this country.

Every club I support (apart from Real Madrid) is red and white. This is why I became a foundation member of Melbourne Heart. I've come to love this club and feel more passion and emotional attachment than any other club that's on my profile pic.

I was weary of this change and to tell you the truth I didn't know how I would react, but I'm surprisingly "Okayish" with them. It annoys me that our home kit has no red in it and it annoys me that the only time I'll get to see the Heart play in Red & White in Melbourne is when we play the Tards at Etihad (i.e. twice this season)!

I don't know how the owners plan to juggle this "White with a little blue" home kit Vs "Red & White striped" away kit considering that for four years it was the other way around (replace the bit of blue with a bit of red of course on the original away kit). And by juggle I mean, AAMI Park will be a mess with no synchrony, unity or coordination of colours. I feel like if people were unsure of our identity before, it will now be even more confusing...

I think what would've made me go from feeling "Okayish" to "Greatish" is if that dark blue stripe on our new home kit was red instead. If you want to pay homage to our heritage then do it on our home kit! The new badge has the City of Melbourne flag red & white on there yet there is no red & white on our Melbourne (home) outfit. Not sure how it would look, but maybe if we play with red shorts (and socks?) it will suffice and be a good compromise (for me anyway).

Also for the long-time Man City fans who say that since we're a younger club this should be easier to stomach I say, this is not 1880!! This is the 21st Century and we live in the Digital/Information/Petrol money Age - you simply cannot compare the changes of Melbourne Heart - sorry I mean - "the club which is now known as Melbourne City" to what St Marks/West Gorton/Ardwick went through. Different times, different reasons, different money...

Referring back to the Theseus' ship paradox; questioning whether it's the same ship after changing EVERY part of the ship, well I think our new owners have left just enough of the original Heart to make me feel like this is still my club; this is why I can still refer to this club as "our" or "my" and this is why I have renewed mine, my missus' and baby girl's membership for next season.

I'll be seating in the same front row seat wearing either my Red & White Heart polo!

Apologies for the long post, had to get that off my chest.

Carn the Heart!!

• Like 1

Yes, but I really only support Real because growing up I loved watching Raul, Figo and Roberto Carlos! Real was and is again the "Queen of Europe".

Change that dark (Victory coloured) navy blue stripe to red and I'll feel a lot better about these changes and I don't think I'll be the only one! In fact, I reckon thousands of existing Melbourne Heart members will feel a lot better about it.

• Like 1

Lots of posts in this thread telling everyone what they prefer or what´s best for themselves... Few posts discussing what´s best for the club itself <_<

As I have said before really happy about the changes. The club has evolved and been rebranded. It's onwards and upwards for this club. Hopefully better training/ facilities a better youth program and attacking football will also come sooner rather than later. This is what the club was meant to be all about but fell far short of that and went backwards. Time will tell if the new owners and this club are a good fit, but it's looking positive at the moment. 

Just remember that if you invest in this new club, that regardless of what happens, you are invested in the long haul. Don't be crying 'we've lost our identity!' if the home shirt turns into sky blue.

I won't post any more about it, i'll probably lurk the forum and hope i read some posts on here that change my mind on the issue. It's just hard when I've already had 3 mates back out of getting memberships due to the changes. Don't even have the incentive of catching up with mates up at the football now as a reason to go :(

Just remember that if you invest in this new club, that regardless of what happens, you are invested in the long haul. Don't be crying 'we've lost our identity!' if the home shirt turns into sky blue.

I won't post any more about it, i'll probably lurk the forum and hope i read some posts on here that change my mind on the issue. It's just hard when I've already had 3 mates back out of getting memberships due to the changes. Don't even have the incentive of catching up with mates up at the football now as a reason to go :(

To be honest the kit could turn pink with purple polka dots. I may raise an eyebrow but really makes no difference to me. I didn't follow this club for colours, logo or name. So I'll be in for the long haul. Well, take care then. :)

• Like 1

The home strip is still a hand me down Man City shirt. There's nothing of our club on it. They can't possibly say with a straight face that 'the home kit combines the white of the original kit...' It's bollocks. Just like the crap they keep feeding people about 'consulting with members'. I can't believe they even mentioned that survey in their email. Personally, I'd rather a sky blue shirt with a red and white stripe as it would be our shirt, not a Man City shirt, and would retain something of our colours.

But even more important than the colours is the disregard of supporters. Yes we don't 'own' the club, but good clubs actually listen to their supporters and make them feel like they hold an important place in the club - like the fan forums WSW held to decide what their club would look and feel like. I'll go to matches but it just doesn't feel like my club now. For me, it's a sad day.

And I hope Melboune City keep fighting to keep their name.

Re the bolded bit - I hope they do as well, and maybe learn how to spell whilst you're at it...

All jokes aside I really don't understand why you're so bitter - it's almost as if unless they did everything your way then you wouldn't be happy. I reckon no matter what they did you would find some gripe about it. Which is fair enough I suppose but not exactly a mature and measured response in regard to the situation.

You claim that the strip is a hand me down Man City strip and I can can definitely see why, however it is white and it was a predominant color of your previous home shirt, which by the way is is now your away shirt. To claim there are no links at all is extremely disingenuous. 

You don't know who they consulted, but just because you weren't consulted it means they mustn't have done anything.

You also confuse listening with doing exactly what you want them to. Just because they haven't done exactly what you've desired they mustn't have listened. I reckon they probably have listened, taken it on board, considered what feedback they have received and then presented this as a compromise. At it's core it's a name change, a logo change to something that is a more traditional crest and not the cringey bullshit the A League is known for, which retains the original colors and includes the Melbourne crest, and a move from the home to an away shirt and a new home shirt that is 90% one of the original colors. Ah yeah and David Villa and more to come. 

I've lurked on this forum for a good few months and I've seen a heap of comments about protecting identity but also a lot of other comments about changing the culture of the club. The same thing happened at City. Look up Typical City to get a vibe about what was the City identity pre-takeover. Winning the league one year and then getting relegated the next despite scoring the most number of goals in the division. Winning Cups for cock ups best sums it up. You could argue that 'typical city' was an intrinsic part of our identity. However success on and off the pitch has engendered a new identity. Success and typical city cannot live hand in hand. I think it's every fans dream to have a successful team - and success on and off the pitch will shape your identity.

I will admit that i'm not a Heart fan, however I am excited about what this will mean for football in Australia. Football has always been a poorer cousin to the other codes. This is such a great opportunity for football in Australia full stop. Great new facilities leveraging off the expertise at a global level. Hopefully this will start the process of lifting the standing of the game by the bootstraps. And with league and union in a bit of a disastrous state at the minute, now is the perfect time to strike. This can result in football becoming the second biggest code in the country (don't think it will be able to dent the AFL). Yet much like the story of Australia's football history and like typical city there have been so many instances in the not to distant past of the code shooting itself in the foot. We know the coverage for the A League is still not supportive, someone bringing a flare into a game will be reported as being 'hooliganism gone wild' whereas the countless drunk idiots who beat the shit out of eachother at league and union matches barely get a mention. This is a chance to start correcting that. If people objectively looked at the greater good that City's involvement with Heart would bring to football in Australia, they would be tearing down the roadblocks rather than erecting them.

Put the self interest aside for the good of the game in the country and then they might actually start going places.

Are you fucking serious?

Your club has changed the name, badge, colours, and home shirt of my club and I'm the one not prepared to compromise? As my post said, I just want some red and white on our shirt, even combined with the sky blue of our owners. The shirt has absolutely nothing on it to suggest that Melbourne Heart ever existed, while away kits can be easily changed and mean very little. What's to stop City from changing the away strip in a couple of years time? Then the makeover to mini Man City will be totally complete.

Nearly as bad as having another club change everything about my club is having their supporters come here to tell me how I should feel about it. So fuck off.

Yeah mate I am.

You say absolutely nothing on the new shirt has a link to the Heart ever existing - apart the fact it is predominantly white (one of the foundation colours) contains the two heart's on the logo - and the red and white flag and even adding the Melbourne CoA.

And by all means ignore all the other points I make, and the entire context of what I said because it suits your own purpose. I didn't say you should feel this way, rather questioning why you were - and maybe that comes down to me not being a heart supporter which is fair enough. However it doesn't stop me having an opinion on it and expressing it, without resorting to getting so worked up about it and telling others to fuck off.

I stand by what i've said.

So many people have confused "not listening" with getting an undesirable outcome.

You say the Club has not compromised because you didn't get the outcome you wanted - however you cannot say that as you don't know what was on or off the table. Repeating it doesn't make it fact.

This is a great opportunity for Australian Football and hopefully one which can elevate the standing and quality of the game in this country - and that is something I would say most football fans would agree is a good thing.

• Like 2

To be honest the kit could turn pink with purple polka dots. I may raise an eyebrow but really makes no difference to me. I didn't follow this club for colours, logo or name. So I'll be in for the long haul. Well, take care then. :)

So why did you follow the club then? Just as something to do? Not having a go at you mate, generally interested.

So why did you follow the club then? Just as something to do? Not having a go at you mate, generally interested.

Sort of followed the Melbourne Knights back in the Nsl days. Then the A league started and sort of followed those who shouldn't be named. Never went to any games. Also couldn't stand Musc##t. Wanted to start seeing live matches and supporting the league (had some $) around the same time Heart came about (also came to Bendigo in preseason) so thought why not follow them because they would need support. Also the attacking good football and youth development which was meant to happen. I want football to grow in this country. I love the game. Followed Spurs (meant to hate red with white ;)) all my life but really wanted to get behind a team here in Australia. Now I have two Heart and FC  Bendigo  in the NPL1(my real local team). Hopefully now the club can reach it's full potential.

You think Manchester City FC was bought because they loved Manchester?

No, it´s rather easy to see why Sydney FC was an obvious first choice and why WSW was out of the question, but the curious might ask why they never approached Victory..

Edited by M13
  • Like 1

The sheikh didn't have a clue where the feck Manchester was before he bought us. IIRC he tried to buy a Spanish club but found out that the supporter-owned Spanish clubs were nearly impossible to buy. Thaksin (our prior owner) got into legal troubles and City nearly went broke after Thaksin's assets were frozen and he became a fugitive. Sulaiman Al Fahim came to Sheikh Mansour with the idea of buying a bad luck club in some place called Manchester, he got interested and the rest is history .

We weren't his first choice, either. I doubt most fans remember this today.

Edited by Manchester City

Red or Dead,

With respect my friend, you seem to have either missed the point I made or been a tad mischievous with my words. The date that Man City made those changes is really irrelevant, the point was that as a young club, it was necessary to accept "hard to accept change" that allowed the club to evolve and grow. Man City were far from a parks team then as you mischievously suggest, they had already been a member of the Football League for 2 years.

My point is that whilst many seem to understand that, some don't. You are free to choose whatever you want my friend. But I can tell you that the current ownership has given us a very successful team, playing open attractive football and scored 158 goals in all competitions this seasons. It has increased the work done in the community, which is a source of pride to Mancunians, Built the best academy facilities in Europe, comparable to anywhere in the World, providing jobs for the local and regenerated an urban wasteland. The Youth system has seen trophies at almost every level. And finally it has respected the fans as fans and not as mere customers.

If you get a share of that, you will have got one helluva good deal. I will tell you now that jumping up and down with a huge stupid grin on your face as your captain lifts a trophy, having watched your team play the best football your team has ever played, coupled with the knowledge that your club is financially secure into the future, has got to be a far better experience that slumping in your seats with your head up your arse in misery because you have just lost another and are propping up the League. I know cos I've been there too.

They arrive as strangers, offer this and ask you for nothing except your support.  

Its interesting to see the very varied reasons as to why people came to the club in the first place. It seems that quite a few have British heritage in that they follow an English club. I know an English Everton supporter that is also a member of MV and he has flatly stated that if Liverpool bought the MV he'll walk.

Well my reasons were far more prosaic. It was during the 2010 World Cup that I realised that for the NT to do well, a strong domestic league is needed and just about the same time Heart were awarded the license, so I became a STH. For me the bigger picture is to ensure that a strong domestic competition delivers a good outcome for the players and the Socceroos. Yes I would have preferred that the home kit remain the same but I can live with the compromise.

• Like 1

A rising tide lift all ships.. In a way CFG is making a bet on various non-Uefa leagues catching up on the South-America/Europe axis, them being CFG they want to assure themselves that they got a prime vehicle for both raising the standards and being on top.

So expect a lot of focus on youth players as well..

The home strip is still a hand me down Man City shirt. There's nothing of our club on it. They can't possibly say with a straight face that 'the home kit combines the white of the original kit...' It's bollocks. Just like the crap they keep feeding people about 'consulting with members'. I can't believe they even mentioned that survey in their email. Personally, I'd rather a sky blue shirt with a red and white stripe as it would be our shirt, not a Man City shirt, and would retain something of our colours.

But even more important than the colours is the disregard of supporters. Yes we don't 'own' the club, but good clubs actually listen to their supporters and make them feel like they hold an important place in the club - like the fan forums WSW held to decide what their club would look and feel like. I'll go to matches but it just doesn't feel like my club now. For me, it's a sad day.

And I hope Melboune City keep fighting to keep their name.

Re the bolded bit - I hope they do as well, and maybe learn how to spell whilst you're at it...

All jokes aside I really don't understand why you're so bitter - it's almost as if unless they did everything your way then you wouldn't be happy. I reckon no matter what they did you would find some gripe about it. Which is fair enough I suppose but not exactly a mature and measured response in regard to the situation.

You claim that the strip is a hand me down Man City strip and I can can definitely see why, however it is white and it was a predominant color of your previous home shirt, which by the way is is now your away shirt. To claim there are no links at all is extremely disingenuous. 

You don't know who they consulted, but just because you weren't consulted it means they mustn't have done anything.

You also confuse listening with doing exactly what you want them to. Just because they haven't done exactly what you've desired they mustn't have listened. I reckon they probably have listened, taken it on board, considered what feedback they have received and then presented this as a compromise. At it's core it's a name change, a logo change to something that is a more traditional crest and not the cringey bullshit the A League is known for, which retains the original colors and includes the Melbourne crest, and a move from the home to an away shirt and a new home shirt that is 90% one of the original colors. Ah yeah and David Villa and more to come. 

I've lurked on this forum for a good few months and I've seen a heap of comments about protecting identity but also a lot of other comments about changing the culture of the club. The same thing happened at City. Look up Typical City to get a vibe about what was the City identity pre-takeover. Winning the league one year and then getting relegated the next despite scoring the most number of goals in the division. Winning Cups for cock ups best sums it up. You could argue that 'typical city' was an intrinsic part of our identity. However success on and off the pitch has engendered a new identity. Success and typical city cannot live hand in hand. I think it's every fans dream to have a successful team - and success on and off the pitch will shape your identity.

I will admit that i'm not a Heart fan, however I am excited about what this will mean for football in Australia. Football has always been a poorer cousin to the other codes. This is such a great opportunity for football in Australia full stop. Great new facilities leveraging off the expertise at a global level. Hopefully this will start the process of lifting the standing of the game by the bootstraps. And with league and union in a bit of a disastrous state at the minute, now is the perfect time to strike. This can result in football becoming the second biggest code in the country (don't think it will be able to dent the AFL). Yet much like the story of Australia's football history and like typical city there have been so many instances in the not to distant past of the code shooting itself in the foot. We know the coverage for the A League is still not supportive, someone bringing a flare into a game will be reported as being 'hooliganism gone wild' whereas the countless drunk idiots who beat the shit out of eachother at league and union matches barely get a mention. This is a chance to start correcting that. If people objectively looked at the greater good that City's involvement with Heart would bring to football in Australia, they would be tearing down the roadblocks rather than erecting them.

Put the self interest aside for the good of the game in the country and then they might actually start going places.

Are you fucking serious?

Your club has changed the name, badge, colours, and home shirt of my club and I'm the one not prepared to compromise? As my post said, I just want some red and white on our shirt, even combined with the sky blue of our owners. The shirt has absolutely nothing on it to suggest that Melbourne Heart ever existed, while away kits can be easily changed and mean very little. What's to stop City from changing the away strip in a couple of years time? Then the makeover to mini Man City will be totally complete.

Nearly as bad as having another club change everything about my club is having their supporters come here to tell me how I should feel about it. So fuck off.

Yeah mate I am.

You say absolutely nothing on the new shirt has a link to the Heart ever existing - apart the fact it is predominantly white (one of the foundation colours) contains the two heart's on the logo - and the red and white flag and even adding the Melbourne CoA.

And by all means ignore all the other points I make, and the entire context of what I said because it suits your own purpose. I didn't say you should feel this way, rather questioning why you were - and maybe that comes down to me not being a heart supporter which is fair enough. However it doesn't stop me having an opinion on it and expressing it, without resorting to getting so worked up about it and telling others to fuck off.

I stand by what i've said.

So many people have confused "not listening" with getting an undesirable outcome.

You say the Club has not compromised because you didn't get the outcome you wanted - however you cannot say that as you don't know what was on or off the table. Repeating it doesn't make it fact.

This is a great opportunity for Australian Football and hopefully one which can elevate the standing and quality of the game in this country - and that is something I would say most football fans would agree is a good thing.

While we respect your opinion and the home strip is ok looking it isn't what some of us were hoping for.

I and all the members I have spoken to were not involved in a survey or consulted in any way.

There a 3 members in my household and we were definitely not consulted or surveyed etc.

What irks me the most is the bs thats being spouted about consultation with the supporters etc.

But surely fans was consulted?.. Not all of them of course but some fans. When Simon Pearce was here he assured the FRG that they knew very well about how fans felt about the colour issue.

But it was never going to be a vote or something like that.

I lived in Brisbane when the a-league was founded. Casually supported roar for a few seasons but didn't really care or identified with them. As the league started to grow I became much more interested and started to love the football on offer.

I always hated victory and when I moved to Melbourne and found that I had finally moved to a part of the country that I felt at home I knew I had to pick a team. Heart were founded and I knee they were mine. I didn't sign up because I loved our name, in fact I never really liked the name and I welcome the name change.

As for the colours, well it is a shame, I would love for them to stay the same. But I can live with the new one(would have hated sky blue-for the Sydney connection)

The main reason I loved heart was for the commitment to youth and playing good football. This has been thrown out the window in the last few seasons and it is for this reason I welcome CFG the most. I love Arsenal and heart but I love football first.

There will always be a sense of regret and pain in me with the changes but for me the good outweighs the bad. But if we start signing over the hill premier leaugue players and play Aloisi era long balls Then you will here me bitching and complaining more than what has been posted on here by others

Edited by Tonyboozeadams
  • Like 1

I lived in Brisbane when the a-league was founded. Casually supported roar for a few seasons but didn't really care or identified with them. As the league started to grow I became much more interested and started to love the football on offer.

I always hated victory and when I moved to Melbourne and found that I had finally moved to a part of the country that I felt at home I knew I had to pick a team. Heart were founded and I knee they were mine. I didn't sign up because I loved our name, in fact I never really liked the name and I welcome the name change.

As for the colours, well it is a shame, I would love for them to stay the same. But I can live with the new one(would have hated sky blue-for the Sydney connection)

The main reason I loved heart was for the commitment to youth and playing good football. This has been thrown out the window in the last few seasons and it is for this reason I welcome CFG the most. I love Arsenal and heart but I love football first.

There will always be a sense of regret and pain in me with the changes but for me the good outweighs the bad. But if we start signing over the hill premier leaugue players and play Aloisi era long balls Then you will here me bitching and complaining more than what has been posted on here by others

Well given the current levels of bitching, whinging and negativity around here and in the past you will have one hell of a job ahead of you.

Red or Dead,

With respect my friend, you seem to have either missed the point I made or been a tad mischievous with my words. The date that Man City made those changes is really irrelevant, the point was that as a young club, it was necessary to accept "hard to accept change" that allowed the club to evolve and grow. Man City were far from a parks team then as you mischievously suggest, they had already been a member of the Football League for 2 years.

My point is that whilst many seem to understand that, some don't. You are free to choose whatever you want my friend. But I can tell you that the current ownership has given us a very successful team, playing open attractive football and scored 158 goals in all competitions this seasons. It has increased the work done in the community, which is a source of pride to Mancunians, Built the best academy facilities in Europe, comparable to anywhere in the World, providing jobs for the local and regenerated an urban wasteland. The Youth system has seen trophies at almost every level. And finally it has respected the fans as fans and not as mere customers.

If you get a share of that, you will have got one helluva good deal. I will tell you now that jumping up and down with a huge stupid grin on your face as your captain lifts a trophy, having watched your team play the best football your team has ever played, coupled with the knowledge that your club is financially secure into the future, has got to be a far better experience that slumping in your seats with your head up your arse in misery because you have just lost another and are propping up the League. I know cos I've been there too.

They arrive as strangers, offer this and ask you for nothing except your support.  

It's absolutely relevant. The changes you speak of happened over half a century before you were born. So please give us a spell in telling us how we are supposed to react...you've never been in the same position. Again, I'd love to know if a red stripe was considered as an addition for the white home shirt, alongside the sky blue and navy blue stripes. And, if it wasn't, why not?

• Like 1

Read a solid 10 pages worth of this thread in one sitting. So many opinions going around in circles. A lot of pretty ignorant posts also.

You either choose to accept and move on, or not accept to and stop supporting.

At the end of the day the club was going to be sold and it went to super rich owners with a clear vision and agenda.

Personally I will renew and wear my red and white with pride. I'm not thrilled with the home jersey, but I am willing to compromise to support the team I have grown to love.

• Like 5

Read a solid 10 pages worth of this thread in one sitting. So many opinions going around in circles. A lot of pretty ignorant posts also.

You either choose to accept and move on, or not accept to and stop supporting.

At the end of the day the club was going to be sold and it went to super rich owners with a clear vision and agenda.

Personally I will renew and wear my red and white with pride. I'm not thrilled with the home jersey, but I am willing to compromise to support the team I have grown to love.

Yep, spot on.

Its a long shot, but anyone on here have any background in IP/ Trademark law?

This whole Melb City (South Kingsville) vs CFG Trademark fight currently underway has me trying to work out if there is any legal right for a club that has used the name but never Trademarked it?

With a history of using the name, I am sure they have been instructed by their IP legal reps to try and get the rights to make a nice little payday, as anyone would see this as a very big opportunity. I would hardly see the point in going to all this effort just to block CFG from using it completely, as the only real benefit for them would be to gain financially at the end.

Given thie new "dreams" of becoming a NPL club all of a sudden, the money would come in handy :lol:

Edited by Heart_fan

Are A-league clubs still allowed to also field a state league side? Seems like a pretty simple solution if possible. Otherwise this is a grasshopper and the ant situation a.k.a the original "Winter is Coming."

That really makes no sense whatsoever but the thing is I still know what you are talking about

• Like 4

I remember studying this some time back ...

"The Four Rooms of Change is a theory that deals with change, with what happens with people and organizations in transition and with how they can influence the change process by taking responsibility for their emotions and actions. The model was developed by the Swedish psychologist, Claes Janssen, in the late 60s and early 70s as part of his groundbreaking research on the dynamics of change. The four rooms - or psychological states of mind - are Contentment, Self-Censorship & Denial, Confusion & Conflict and Inspiration & Renewal.

If we think of our experience of change in terms of a journey we have to start somewhere; and that is in the 'contentment room'. Everything feels fine, we are relaxed and in control and we have no desire to change anything. Then something happens and our external environment changes. This can happen very quickly or very slowly - either we fall through what Janssen refers to as the 'trap door' as the result of a significant event or we find ourselves gently descending over a period of time into the 'denial .

Denial means that - while we may have general sense that something is different or not quite right - we are very successful at convincing ourselves that everything is okay. We may find ourselves struggling to stay positive or 'putting on a mask' to show others that we are relaxed and in control. Sooner or later we have to face reality and we enter the 'confusion room'.

This is finally where emotions finally take over - fear, anger, sadness, self-doubt and feelings of inferiority are common. This is obviously not a good place to be and many of us make an unconscious choice to go back into denial rather than press on with our journey. But press on we must. By facing our fears and working through the confusion and conflict we can find new hope, new inspiration and a way forward. We have entered the 'renewal room'. Suddenly we have sense of 'getting it all together', we are energized and we experience the desire and find the creative resources to make things happen. Finally we are ready to complete our journey and step back into the contentment room."

Press on we must!

• Like 1

This whole Melb City (South Kingsville) vs CFG Trademark fight currently underway has me trying to work out if there is any legal right for a club that has used the name but never Trademarked it?

With a history of using the name, I am sure they have been instructed by their IP legal reps to try and get the rights to make a nice little payday, as anyone would see this as a very big opportunity. I would hardly see the point in going to all this effort just to block CFG from using it completely, as the only real benefit for them would be to gain financially at the end.

Given thie new "dreams" of becoming a NPL club all of a sudden, the money would come in handy :lol:

"If someone has been using an unregistered trade mark for a sufficient period and has built up a reputation, they may be able to prevent you from using the same name, logo etc, regardless of whether or not you have registered it as a trade mark.

For example, if a company has used 'Freshies' as a name for their bread products over many years, but has never registered this as a trade mark, they may be able to prevent you from using 'Freshies' on your bread products. This is the case even if you register 'Freshies' as a trade mark."

"If someone has been using an unregistered trade mark for a sufficient period and has built up a reputation, they may be able to prevent you from using the same name, logo etc, regardless of whether or not you have registered it as a trade mark.

For example, if a company has used 'Freshies' as a name for their bread products over many years, but has never registered this as a trade mark, they may be able to prevent you from using 'Freshies' on your bread products. This is the case even if you register 'Freshies' as a trade mark."

Interesting.

I guess its up to what one classes as building up a reputation. Could be quite subjective, but we will see.

Its interesting to see the very varied reasons as to why people came to the club in the first place. It seems that quite a few have British heritage in that they follow an English club. I know an English Everton supporter that is also a member of MV and he has flatly stated that if Liverpool bought the MV he'll walk.

Well my reasons were far more prosaic. It was during the 2010 World Cup that I realised that for the NT to do well, a strong domestic league is needed and just about the same time Heart were awarded the license, so I became a STH. For me the bigger picture is to ensure that a strong domestic competition delivers a good outcome for the players and the Socceroos. Yes I would have preferred that the home kit remain the same but I can live with the compromise.

My dad followed Spurs so I have grown up with them. If the Gunners came in a took over Heart would I leave? No I would not. Even if they changed the name etc I still wouldn't leave. We may have the same owners etc but this club is in Australia. If the new owners are going to build and strengthen the club and take it to new heights then I am all for it. Hopefully it will make the competition better as a whole. I can still support Spurs as it is in another competition. The CFG may own both teams we may look the same but our team will have Australians playing in it in Australia. Locals will be running the club etc. If being a mini ManC means better training facilities etc for my club bang I'm on board. If that makes me a sellout etc for wanting the best for my club then so be it. In a perfect world nothing would change or it would change to how we want it, but we are not in a perfect world and things change sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worst. It's up to the individual to decide how they see it. Time will tell either way.

• Like 1

Nothing new there really from what had previously been reported, however it just seems so odd that after so many discussions, such a conflicted view of events has transpired.

It just seems that the SL Melb City side is holding out for maximum return and will make a fuss about it until it gets what it wants. If CFG have told them that they can co-exist, with no name change required on their part, any good will that I had for this SL side is certainly diminished.

The reasoning that they see growth potential in their club and will one day want to join the NPL is icing on the cake for clutching at straws. After all these years, its hard to even remotely entertain that idea was even on their radar.

Edited by Heart_fan

My dad followed Spurs so I have grown up with them. If the Gunners came in a took over Heart would I leave? No I would not. Even if they changed the name etc I still wouldn't leave. We may have the same owners etc but this club is in Australia. If the new owners are going to build and strengthen the club and take it to new heights then I am all for it. Hopefully it will make the competition better as a whole. I can still support Spurs as it is in another competition. The CFG may own both teams we may look the same but our team will have Australians playing in it in Australia. Locals will be running the club etc. If being a mini ManC means better training facilities etc for my club bang I'm on board. If that makes me a sellout etc for wanting the best for my club then so be it. In a perfect world nothing would change or it would change to how we want it, but we are not in a perfect world and things change sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worst. It's up to the individual to decide how they see it. Time will tell either way.

Well said tiger...

Obviously our lawyers think we have it covered in regards to the name..

Got a feeling that the club will expand some operations rather soon, hopefully without buying up South Melbourne FC anytime soon because there´s a Cypriot guy I know in the U.K that is all exited about the idea... :unsure::lol:
No, even if the first team will get the headlines it´s a good bet that infrastructure will feature heavily in the blueprint handed out by CFG, training facilities and youth academies are easy to point the finger at but what else?