Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

From a coldhearted business and marketing view the issue of colours are non-conclusive..

If we look at say sports fashion or breweries they are happy to have a number of very different looking brands, then we got the big "franchise" operators like say Mcdonalds or Starbucks streamlining everything.

I Agree.

Take Coke for an example, they have many different products/Brands that have their own colour schemes. In Argentina they even have green and white cans. Not everything needs to be done in the McDonalds style franchise. 

Something that never seems to brought up on here is the fact that the Man City Group first tried to buy the Sky Blue club in the league of SFC and it was only when they were knocked back that they then focused on buying MHFC.

This has never sat well for me in terms of trully believing that our New Owners have such a high respect for the MHFC brand.

When you couple infomation with the fact that Peter Sidwell when asked on SEN confirmed that a specfic condition of the selling of MHFC was that there was to be no promises made from the Man City Group in keeping club's name and colours...

Well TBH I feel more and more convinced that MHFC was simply brought as it was 20 year A League licence in Melbourne a city of 4 million... and that the sale had nothing to do with Melbourne Heart.

Well TBH I feel more and more convinced that MHFC was simply brought as it was 20 year A League licence in Melbourne a city of 4 million... and that the sale had nothing to do with Melbourne Heart.

Well it isn't as if they bought us because they were inspired by our football

Something that never seems to brought up on here is the fact that the Man City Group first tried to buy the Sky Blue club in the league of SFC and it was only when they were knocked back that they then focused on buying MHFC.

This has never sat well for me in terms of trully believing that our New Owners have such a high respect for the MHFC brand.

When you couple infomation with the fact that Peter Sidwell when asked on SEN confirmed that a specfic condition of the selling of MHFC was that there was to be no promises made from the Man City Group in keeping club's name and colours...

Oh, come on now. It's a fact in life that you don't always get the number one target on whatever list you are looking at, but that doesn't mean that you have no respect for those further down the list.

• Like 1

Oh, come on now. It's a fact in life that you don't always get the number one target on whatever list you are looking at, but that doesn't mean that you have no respect for those further down the list.

The blonde in the Blue Dress had a footballer boyfriend so the Sheikh went after the chick in Red instead...

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

From a coldhearted business and marketing view the issue of colours are non-conclusive..

If we look at say sports fashion or breweries they are happy to have a number of very different looking brands, then we got the big "franchise" operators like say Mcdonalds or Starbucks streamlining everything.

The thing with fashion brands is they target varying demographics with their different brand. CFG has openly said they want us to align ourselves with their brand in the way we are setup and the way we play football. I don't see why they would get us to be aligned with them in every way bar the most obvious one in colours. It is also the one change that is easiest to see an alignment of the brands in the City group.

When you couple infomation with the fact that Peter Sidwell when asked on SEN confirmed that a specfic condition of the selling of MHFC was that there was to be no promises made from the Man City Group in keeping club's name and colours...

Well TBH I feel more and more convinced that MHFC was simply brought as it was 20 year A League licence in Melbourne a city of 4 million... and that the sale had nothing to do with Melbourne Heart.

The blonde in the Blue Dress had a footballer boyfriend so the Sheikh went after the chick in Red instead... He will find out tomorrow that chick in red dress isn't easy and won't just bend over for him without a fight

When you couple infomation with the fact that Peter Sidwell when asked on SEN confirmed that a specfic condition of the selling of MHFC was that there was to be no promises made from the Man City Group in keeping club's name and colours...

Well TBH I feel more and more convinced that MHFC was simply brought as it was 20 year A League licence in Melbourne a city of 4 million... and that the sale had nothing to do with Melbourne Heart.

The blonde in the Blue Dress had a footballer boyfriend so the Sheikh went after the chick in Red instead...He will find out tomorrow that chick in red dress isn't easy and won't just bend over for him without a fightchicks in red dresses are always easy

Oh, come on now. It's a fact in life that you don't always get the number one target on whatever list you are looking at, but that doesn't mean that you have no respect for those further down the list. The blonde in the Blue Dress had a footballer boyfriend so the Sheikh went after the chick in Red instead... He will find out tomorrow that chick in red dress isn't easy and won't just bend over for him without a fight chicks in red dresses are always easy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T1c7GkzRQQ&list=PLDD05A99D784D379F

• Like 3

Sheikh Mansour only bought MCFC after being knocked back from Newcastle United and Everton. Doesn't change the fact that he and Khaldoon (our Chairman) have always treated City with the greatest respect.

• Like 3

I've had a paid up membership of this club every year. I joined even though I didn't like the name "Heart."  I much prefer something like Melbourne City.

While I like the red and white stripes,  for me it's not the end of the world if the colours change. After all, red and white stripes are hardly unique to us. They're the same colours numerous other clubs have that I do not support, such as Sunderland. 

Far more important to me is that we now have the wealthiest club in the A League and despite the unfortunate constraints imposed upon us by FFA, odds are very high that we will still become the new benchmark club in the A League.

1. We have the same Manager for next season.

2. We will have a significant number of this year's squad for next season  - eg. see the signings we are making.

3. We will be playing at the same home venue next season.

So irrespective of a name change and possibly colour change we are still the same club - but in a much, much better position to have sustained, long term success.

Edited by Parrot
  • Like 1

Sheikh Mansour only bought MCFC after being knocked back from Newcastle United and Everton. Doesn't change the fact that he and Khaldoon (our Chairman) have always treated City with the greatest respect.

This is not true, they bought City mainly because of the stadium and ability to extend it and cost of purchase along with how little debt the club had. (zero now) along with an already huge match going fan base and the location with Manchester being the 2nd capital, they looked at other clubs as any good business men would but decided City was the best option with the biggest potential, City also still hold the attendance record of 84,569 

• Like 1

This is not true, they bought City mainly because of the stadium and ability to extend it and cost of purchase along with how little debt the club had. (zero now) along with an already huge match going fan base and the location with Manchester being the 2nd capital, they looked at other clubs as any good business men would but decided City was the best option with the biggest potential, City also still hold the attendance record of 84,569 

Oh, for sure City offered them dozens of huge advantages. But they only turned to us because others owners - mainly Mike Ashley - were demanding ludicrous sums, or because they decided other clubs weren't the right fit first.

Check out this, from 2 Sept 2008:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/7593936.stm

The Manchester club was the choice because Arsenal's major shareholders have collectively agreed not to sell to anybody in the near future, Newcastle were quoted at £400m and Liverpool were deemed poor value because of the need for a new stadium.

also check out this recent thread on Bluemoon:

http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=299194

Agree. The Sheikh Mansour was shopping for a team in the A-league in the same as he went shopping for a team in the EPL. Nothing to do with a "love" for a club but an interest in being involved in the global game and the opportunities that would flow from that (business and political connections). I can see an investment in the EPL as making sense. It's reach is global. The A-league is well positioned wrt to Asia. There were only two real options for him in the HAL that made sense -a team in Sydney or Melbourne. Population size, local derbies that attract large crowds, and cities that have international recognition. We were the under performing gits with room for immediate growth and won the prize. As for Sidwell and promises, he wasn't in a position to make promises as he simply wanted out. I think the issue with name and colours rests with FFA as they own the league. In that regard we don' t know what agreement is in place between FFA and the Sheikh and his suits. Edited by HEARTinator

I think you´ll find that Sheikh Mansour himself is not in any way a "hands on" owner.. He´s not even on the board actually

No, decisions will be made by guys paid to make them.. Their decision, their responsibility.

Errr... I doubt it. He may not be on the board but the big decisions will be okeyed by him. Has his hands in everything but his fingerprints on nothing.

Agree. The Sheikh Mansour was shopping for a team in the A-league in the same as he went shopping for a team in the EPL. Nothing to do with a "love" for a club but an interest in being involved in the global game and the opportunities that would flow from that (business and political connections). I can see an investment in the EPL as making sense. It's reach is global. The A-league is well positioned wrt to Asia. There were only two real options for him in the HAL that made sense -a team in Sydney or Melbourne. Population size, local derbies that attract large crowds, and cities that have international recognition. We were the under performing gits with room for immediate growth and won the prize. As for Sidwell and promises, he wasn't in a position to make promises as he simply wanted out. I think the issue with name and colours rests with FFA as they own the league. In that regard we don' t know what agreement is in place between FFA and the Sheikh and his suits.

FWIW the FFA already said ages ago that they would be fine with a change to Sky Blue... another point for worry.

FWIW the FFA already said ages ago that they would be fine with a change to Sky Blue... another point for worry.

I'm not sure you're 100% correct there. As I recall it Gallop was caught on the hop when the question was put to him and he said something like "...a change in name or colours is something we would have to/be prepared to look at." Those are not his exact words but as I recall it he said neither "yes" nor "no."

I'm not sure you're 100% correct there. As I recall it Gallop was caught on the hop when the question was put to him and he said something like "...a change in name or colours is something we would have to/be prepared to look at." Those are not his exact words but as I recall it he said neither "yes" nor "no."

IIRC it was "we would be prepared " But I can't find the video to back that up.

Edited by Rellum
  • Like 1

I think you're right Rellum. His words were"...we would be prepared to look at that."

I know I'm an optimist on all this (gosh, normally I'm accused of being a pessimist!) but I still think that if changes are proposed we will have an opportunity to express a view.

It doesn't take long to knock up a few jerseys - especially if you have the clout with suppliers that City has - and there's a six-month off-season to deal with a whole lot of things. There's still time. Nevertheless, the WSW match is a good way to make a statement of our affection for the red and white.

• Like 2

Nevertheless, the WSW match is a good way to make a statement of our affection for the red and white.

I think if we keep the red and white we should celebrate the Heart colours the last home match of every season. Get everyone to go red and white crazy- have a prize for costume etc. Maybe that's not cool but it could be lots of fun? 

• Like 6

Nevertheless, the WSW match is a good way to make a statement of our affection for the red and white.

I think if we keep the red and white we should celebrate the Heart colours the last home match of every season. Get everyone to go red and white crazy- have a prize for costume etc. Maybe that's not cool but it could be lots of fun? 

As lame as this sounds, I reckon it's a great idea! We don't have much of a history, but this could be the beginnings of a long-lasting tradition. Would add a little bit to the matchday and possibly draw a few extra along to a game that they may not have bothered going to.

• Like 1

I think the best way forward would be compromise but with you keeping your own identity, id like to see you keep your red & white home kit but with a sky blue & white away kit like my avatar, that way you have your own colours and our's too. 

Name wise Melbourne City FC is a great name, you could be called Hearts as your nickname like Man City are The Citizens 

That Argentina strip is the colours of the real melbourne city

That would lose all of the Latin American fans except for the Argentineans (and even then I am not sure).

I doubt it, we have had many Brazilians play in them colours for City and we have a big South American following. if it was about colours, no City fan would be interested in your team as red & white is the colours of our enemy, sometimes you have to look past that

That Argentina strip is the colours of the real melbourne city

That would lose all of the Latin American fans except for the Argentineans (and even then I am not sure).

I doubt it, we have had many Brazilians play in them colours for City and we have a big South American following. if it was about colours, no City fan would be interested in your team as red & white is the colours of our enemy, sometimes you have to look past that Do city fans find it hard supporting england in the world cup. I certainly have no problem supporting australia in their navy away strip.

Like you said though, you have to look past it

This is OUR club, for us. Last thing on our minds should be 'will City fans support a red&white melbourne club?')

Not sure where you've heard that, he never tried to buy Newcastle..

Does it matter who sheik Mansour bought in the end ? he bought City, and now he has bought you guys, from a City point of view i would rather be going into the Liverpool game on sunday being owned by the Sheik, than not ! I love reading the threads on this forum but i do get the impression that maybe some of the posters dont fully understand the position your club now finds it self in . Your club will be the envy of every other club in the A league , your club has a fantastic opportunity to shape the future of soccer/football in Australia and the Asiatic area , you have owners that every other club/fan will envy, and wish it had been them that had got the telephone call . You have a proud four year history, but you have a fantastic future ahead of you , nobody should forget where they came from but you should never take your eye of where your going  , In a couple of seasons time the A league will be yours simple as that. As a poster said earlier its not all about the money but the know how that comes with the owners .

• Like 1