Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

Thanks again to the Manchester lads. At the moment (at least for me anyway) this still does not seem real and the full magnitude has not completely sunk in.

The only way I can put it, is I feel a bit like Harry Potter. Being forced to live under the stairs and an absolute shame to your adopted family that only tolerate you because they cant get rid of you. And now some guy has come along and told us we have magic powers. Not going to fully understand it until I see Hogwarts, lol

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 6

Any City fans interested in holding up a Melbourne Heart banner/flag at a match? :D

It would have to be something similar to your scarf (mainly white rather than red) - they would probably be hung drawn and quartered for holding up something red.

As we would for turning up in blue attire over here

• Like 1

I'd actually like one Man City fan come on here and talk of at least one negative. After the past couple of years of following Heart all this positivity is freaking me out a little.

I bought a pie at the Arsenal match, half of it was cold.

To be fair, they replaced it & apologised, that's about it for negatives, can't really think of any others.

Oh, in case nobody's mentioned it, the food & drink situation at the stadium is light years ahead of what it used to be. They hire celebrity chefs like Marco Pierre White & jamie Oliver to come up with the menu. You can get a decent curry these days, and in the "City Square" fan area outside the ground and in the family stand they've installed an array of video consoles so you can play FIFA14 while you're waiting for kick off, or, as in most cases, drop the kids off while you go for a pint at one of the bars. Stop it with all this goodness now.

I'm afraid I will wake up in a minute and its all just a dream

I'm running out of Kleenex !!!!!

Thanks again to the Manchester lads. At the moment (at least for me anyway) this still does not seem real and the full magnitude has not completely sunk in.

The only way I can put it, is I feel a bit like Harry Potter. Being forced to live under the stairs and an absolute shame to your adopted family that only tolerate you because they cant get rid of you. And now some guy has come along and told us we have magic powers. Not going to fully understand it until I see Hogwarts, lol

Brilliant!!!!

Owe you stack of likes!!!!

You're a wizard, Harry (Kool)

• Like 2

Maybe I haven't taken my happy pills in the last 24hrs or so (LOL) but I reckon I'll never feel part of the so called family of MCFC, NYCFC and whatever name we'll be. The family is a financial construct only. We need to have an ongoing independent identity not merely tied to the whims and fortunes of the sheik. I have no particular EPL team and I don't hate/love MCFC. Probably like most others I'm for Australian football 1st 2nd and 3rd and the Socceroos (yeah kinda crappy nickname but it's ours :) ). If the shiek don't like it ....

I think the best thing for now is to enjoy the rest of the season. It's with a lump in my throat that I think we will be completely re-branded by nest season and look and feel like nothing of the club we all fell in love with.

I hope I'm wrong but I honestly think we will be melbourne city next year playing in sky blue.

This is amazing reading. Thank you Manchester City fans. A pleasure hearing your stuff.

I'm a Newcastle United fan, that will never change but Manchester City are now my adopted second team and because of our ownership as we have no chance of winning anything I hope you guys win it all.

Your posts are appreciated here.

I'm currently in Adelaide, drove 8 hours to be here and watch a team who has had one win. What you guys will get from the core Melbourne Heart fan is passion. We may not be a large fan base but we are very passionate. A family too. It's great to see our family extended.

• Like 6

Dear Members and Supporters,

It was announced yesterday that Manchester City Football Club, in partnership with the ownership group of the Melbourne Storm, had successfully acquired Melbourne Heart FC.

Today, on our first full day, the work has begun to help your Club to fulfill its immense potential both on and off the field, within Australia and beyond.

A lot has been written overnight about Manchester City’s entry into Australian football, the city of Melbourne, and the Hyundai A-League. It is our view that we are at the very beginning of a significant opportunity. There is a lot to be done and we are very excited to start that work today.

The first thing we intend to do is listen, learn and better understand every aspect of the Club. In the last 24 hours, we have met with members of the Club‘s management. We have also met with John van ‘t Schip, his coaches and the players. The Director of Football at Manchester City FC, Txiki Begiristain, and the Director of the City Football Academy, Brian Marwood, have already watched their first training session.

Naturally, this process will also include hearing from fans, members and partners that have supported this Club during its short history. We want to listen and learn first, and take well-supported decisions immediately thereafter.

The one thing we already know is that we will work hard to deliver very good football. Melbourne coaches and players will have access to City’s world-class global football resources, including scouting, coaching, human performance and performance analysis. It is also expected that players and coaches from Melbourne will spend time at the City Football Academy (CFA) - a world-class facility for football training and development that will open adjacent to the Etihad Stadium in Manchester in July 2014.

I understand that many of you will have questions about the future of the Club. We are committed to sharing information with you as soon as we can. However, as I stated yesterday, out of respect for the players and coaching staff in the middle of the Hyundai A-League season, we will not be making any more major announcements until the end of the current season.

In the meantime, we should all ensure that the team on the pitch enjoys all of our support for a strong and successful remainder of the season.

Yours sincerely,

Ferran Soriano

CEO, Manchester City Football Club

Posted on MCFC forum.

I am concerned about the highlighted but, does this mean we will be based at Etihad? As in play our games there?

No, that's a reference to the Manchester City training facility in Manchester, located close to their home ground which is known as Etihad Stadium.

It's not a reference to Docklands here in Melbourne.

Edited by jw1739

This is clearly the best thing that could have ever happened to our club. Also loving our MCFC friends from around the world now joining us here. I'm now firmly a MCFC fan, for good. 

The more the merrier Jake, the more the merrier! I think you'll find your international fanbase has suddenly increased somewhat as well  :)

Anyhow, just logged on to post a good luck message for the game vs Adelaide. I'm sure that I won't be the only Blue getting up at an ungodly hour to cheer the boys on  :D

Once again, congratulations on scooping the jackpot, From reading the posts of Heart supporters on here I'd say you deserve it.

COME ON THE MIGHTY HEART

• Like 2

I think the owners will have to do some serious local research about rebranding.  They need to understand fully the local landscape: football is dwarfed by the AFL in Melbourne, getting fans is not as simple as winning a title (although it will help alot!)

We have 7000 members who are die-hard emotionally connected to this club.  We have to be to put up with what we've been served for most of our existence. But changing the team colors will be gross miscalculation that will burn many of these fans.

In Australia, fans don't just come back when your are winning-look at Brisbane Roar, who are still below their best attendances after the club burned them with rip-off ticket prices despite later winning just about everything there is and playing the closest thing to tika-taka thats been seen in this part of the world.

We must be allowed to play in red and white at home, but we would accept sky bkue away-except against Sydney and Victory.

i understand the owners want  global continuity of their brand, but they could be in for a rude shock playing in sky blue- we hate Sydney, we hate Victory, and we love our colors.  We are Melbourne!

Edited by Kiro Kompiro
  • Like 1

Was at the BDO yesterday and not sure Liam Gallagher is the is the no. 1 ticket holder we want. Half the crowd couldn't understand him (not because of his accent, but because it was a rant), and half the crowd thought he was a twat.

I'm a HUGE Oasis and Beady Eye fan, and I thought it was great having our club talked up in front of 30,000 folks, but all the work was undone when he cracked the shits and pulled the band offstage early before their set was finished. Perhaps the person who threw a trainer at him should have thrown a football boot instead - he would have handled that better.

And I'm thinking to myself what faces will be pulled by City fans at home in Manchester watching BT sports if Heart put in a typical away performance today? I hope it's not a rapid induction into the type of stuff we've endured for two years and how much work needs to be done. If we win today with an inspired performance, this would have been the perfect week for Heart. Still pinching myself.

Edited by Defibrillator

This is clearly the best thing that could have ever happened to our club. Also loving our MCFC friends from around the world now joining us here. I'm now firmly a MCFC fan, for good. 

The more the merrier Jake, the more the merrier! I think you'll find your international fanbase has suddenly increased somewhat as well  :)

Anyhow, just logged on to post a good luck message for the game vs Adelaide. I'm sure that I won't be the only Blue getting up at an ungodly hour to cheer the boys on  :D

Once again, congratulations on scooping the jackpot, From reading the posts of Heart supporters on here I'd say you deserve it.

COME ON THE MIGHTY HEART

Just be ready for football at a slightly slower pace.

The more the merrier Jake, the more the merrier! I think you'll find your international fanbase has suddenly increased somewhat as well :)

Anyhow, just logged on to post a good luck message for the game vs Adelaide. I'm sure that I won't be the only Blue getting up at an ungodly hour to cheer the boys on :D

COME ON THE MIGHTY HEART

Just be ready for football at a slightly slower pace. And almost definitely, of lower quality

The more the merrier Jake, the more the merrier! I think you'll find your international fanbase has suddenly increased somewhat as well :)

Anyhow, just logged on to post a good luck message for the game vs Adelaide. I'm sure that I won't be the only Blue getting up at an ungodly hour to cheer the boys on :D

COME ON THE MIGHTY HEART Just be ready for football at a slightly slower pace. And almost definitely, of lower quality

Ha ha. Loving the gallows humour...........just like City fans in that respect! And for what it's worth you should have seen the rancid shit we used to watch in the 80's and 90's :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

COME ON THE MIGHTY HEART Just be ready for football at a slightly slower pace. And almost definitely, of lower quality

Ha ha. Loving the gallows humour...........just like City fans in that respect! And for what it's worth you should have seen the rancid shit we used to watch in the 80's and 90's :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Mate. I am not sure you completely understand what you are in for. We DREAM of having football of that quality, lol

Hi all, newish Heart supporter here, only really started following them 12 months ago, but have fallen heavily for them despite our recent slump. Love supporting the underdog teams, you feel more important to the team and closer to other supporters. Mad keen St.Kilda FC supporter in the off season, so following the struggling Heart has been a piece off piss!!( one premiership in our 140 year history/endless heartbreak, etc,etc). 

Fucking pumped with Man City ownership, have been wearing my Heart gear proudly ever since the news broke! Feel like us loyal supporters deserve everything coming our way! Also loving the connections with Man City die hards all around the world, it feels like we have a huge big brother watching our backs. If only you could all make it to Melbourne for our next derby with the other felchers!!

I don't follow the EPL, but Man City have one more fan now, Cheers.

I think the owners will have to do some serious local research about rebranding.  They need to understand fully the local landscape: football is dwarfed by the AFL in Melbourne, getting fans is not as simple as winning a title (although it will help alot!)

We have 7000 members who are die-hard emotionally connected to this club.  We have to be to put up with what we've been served for most of our existence. But changing the team colors will be gross miscalculation that will burn many of these fans.

In Australia, fans don't just come back when your are winning-look at Brisbane Roar, who are still below their best attendances after the club burned them with rip-off ticket prices despite later winning just about everything there is and playing the closest thing to tika-taka thats been seen in this part of the world.

We must be allowed to play in red and white at home, but we would accept sky bkue away-except against Sydney and Victory.

i understand the owners want  global continuity of their brand, but they could be in for a rude shock playing in sky blue- we hate Sydney, we hate Victory, and we love our colors.  We are Melbourne!

I don't think that things are as dire as you suggest. In my experience, the public want to see quality and with so many options available people will not turn up to see below par offerings - never forget that Port Power vs Melbourne in 2012 drew less than 6,000 people to the MCG. Last season Collingwood had their worst crowd attendance when they played the Dees.  So given that MHT has not been playing champagne football then attracting crowds and members is difficult. I am under no illusion that it won't be a hard slog but I know people who watch EPL/Euro Leagues but don't attend or watch A-League: they should be targetted. On a broader scope the general public need to be educated about strategies and techniques - many which have been adopted by the AFL.

And I'm thinking to myself what faces will be pulled by City fans at home in Manchester watching BT sports if Heart put in a typical away performance today? I hope it's not a rapid induction into the type of stuff we've endured for two years and how much work needs to be done. If we win today with an inspired performance, this would have been the perfect week for Heart. Still pinching myself.

Likely the faces pulled here will be reminiscent smiles. We are all too aware of how bad we were only ten years ago - heck, in the 2006-07 season we set a league record for the fewest home goals scored in a season (10 from 19 home games, after 7 home games you're already only two away from outscoring us that year) and what's more we managed to fail to score a single home goal for the entire second half of the season. We know what it's like to support a team that can't buy a pass in midfield, let alone a win. We aren't going to be put off by seeing a team struggling for success. In fact, it will probably endear many of us to you, and make it all the more exciting to watch you enjoying your transition the same way we enjoyed ours.

Edited by Falastur
  • Like 1

Speak for yourself. Not all of us are happy to have skyblue as our colours, even if it's for an away kit.

I don't think that things are as dire as you suggest. In my experience, the public want to see quality and with so many options available people will not turn up to see below par offerings - never forget that Port Power vs Melbourne in 2012 drew less than 6,000 people to the MCG. Last season Collingwood had their worst crowd attendance when they played the Dees.  So given that MHT has not been playing champagne football then attracting crowds and members is difficult. I am under no illusion that it won't be a hard slog but I know people who watch EPL/Euro Leagues but don't attend or watch A-League: they should be targetted. On a broader scope the general public need to be educated about strategies and techniques - many which have been adopted by the AFL.

Thats a double-edged sword though.  I see plenty of Barca, Real, Man U, Arsenal even Bayern shirts in Melbourne.  Man City is rare. Why would these fans come to watch Mini Man City play in Melbourne?

In fact we already have some EPL fans as Heart members who have pulled the plug on Heart since this announcement.

IMO there needs to be some visible separation from Man City.

its a gamble they're taking.

• Like 1

Speak for yourself. Not all of us are happy to have skyblue as our colours, even if it's for an away kit.

Didn't say i was happy, but it would be an acceptable trade for all the other good we'll be getting, and unrealistic to suggest the owners won't seek to stamp the brand on us.

Interesting, just saw this on the 'other' (for lack of a better term) Melbourne City FC Face Book page:

Melbourne City FC News

Due to the current circumstances MC FC would like to advise our fans, players and committee members that all public declarations will be made by our solicitors. 

Any declarations unless authorised by the club or it's legal team will not be supported by the club.

Thank you 

Melbourne City FC est. 1991

Kind of hard not to feel sorry for them, they're likely going to lose their name in all of this...although they'll probably walk away with a bit of cash

I'm liking their kit!

625473_10151357391266404_1933172101_n.jp

But this has confused me.  Not just the intention by the new owners to use the name of an existing club (OK, they can probably buy out the much smaller club's intellectual property), but that there is a team in Melbourne already playing in sky blue and white.  I've heard on here that sky blue is associated with NSW and Sydney FC.  Is that association anything more than the colours Sydney FC play in? - which being sky blue and navy blue are not truly Man City's colours.

In other sports NSW has always used the sky blue colour. Victoria has used navy blue. Qld maroon etc It's just the state colours. When the A-league started there was one team in sydney and one in melbourne (that's why Melbourne Victory are navy blue). They just used the state colours for the teams (bit generic and plastic) In local comps and lower leagues the colours are all mixed up. At a pro level though it is normally associated with NSW. Also because we are a young comp they don't really want the teams to clash or get mixed up. If we were in the VPL (victoria league) there would be no problem, but at a professional level, it would cause a real stir.

Thanks for the clarification!

I think the club that currently calls itself Melbourne City and plays in sky blue and white has an Argentinian influence - hence the colours.

The legal eagles are going to have to sort through the issue of registered names, trading names, trademarks etc. It's very common to find that the trading name is not the actual registered name of an organisation. 

IIRC there were objections to the name "Melbourne Heart" when the club was first launched.

Hi All,

Canberra Manchester City fan here.

Have to say that I've not really bought into the A-League as a competition before. Canberra seems to get overlooked as a market for most things like sports, gigs and entertainment. Probably not the most fashionable destination I gather. Apart from a few games by the Mariners (I think) at Bruce stadium there really hasn't been much A-League focus or local engagement. 

Anyway I guess that I'll have a bit of a club to follow now. It's good to see long suffering fans get a bit of a rise. The new owners will obviously seek out your feedback and implement plans and strategies that will only make your club grow from strength to strength. If the transformation at City is anything to go by you're in a safe pair of hands and with a fair amount of optimism going forward.

For those of you who'd want to gain a bit more of an insight into City's history - definitely grab a copy of Manchester - The City Years by Gary James. A great book by a great city fan. No doubt in the next few years he'll be penning a few more chapters in relation to the "heart" years.

Welcome aboard and good luck for the rest of the season!

In fact we already have some EPL fans as Heart members who have pulled the plug on Heart since this announcement.

Everyone is free to do as they wish, and their decisions are to be respected. But I just see that as cutting off your nose to spite your face.

As a life-long "fan" of Arsenal, as were my father and grandfather before me (but in my case because of circumstances having only ever seen them play twice) of course I would have preferred it if it were the Gunners taking a share of Heart.

But that isn't the way it is. And from where I sit the potential benefits of the new order are so great that I'm not giving up my football. No way.

As KSK and others have said - in reality, what the hell has Heart given us so far? Mediocrity. Incessant calls to change the name, change the logo, sack the coach, sack the Board, fold the club. Jibes to relocate to Morwell and Geelong. Repeated questions about our "identity."

There may be some changes, but none have occurred yet. The new owners have promised to listen and learn. They will.

Pulling the plug now doesn't make sense to me.

• Like 2

"

As KSK and others have said - in reality, what the hell has Heart given us so far? Mediocrity. Incessant calls to change the name, change the logo, sack the coach, sack the Board, fold the club. Jibes to relocate to Morwell and Geelong. Repeated questions about our "identity."

There may be some changes, but none have occurred yet. The new owners have promised to listen and learn. They will.

Pulling the plug now doesn't make sense to me.

Those bolded items on your list where not provided by the club. They are just taunts from other clubs.

The club has given us Mediocrity, and failed promises as well as silly marketing ideas. They have also given us a club to support. The calls to change the name/logo are from us in a bid to have more say in our identity. Every club goes through sack the coach periods.

Yet another City fan 'ere

Having read through much of this thread, it's like watching myself back when we got taken over by the Abu Dhabi Investment group back in 2008; Jubilation, excitation, hope and promise, all hinged with a twinge of skepticism. Although for us, the skepticism only lasted until the end of the day at around half 11 when we signed Robinho. If we put enough effort into Melbourne City FC (which I am sure we will) you are in for the best ride of your lives, there will be signings, wins (even away from home haha), exciting initiatives and, ultimately, trophies. Of course, there will be a few bumps and bruises along the way, and the trophies may take a little while (we have still only won 2 since the takeover) but it will be more than worth it.

One thing about this whole 'City Football Group' thing to be most excited about IMO is that it is being spearheaded by Khaldoon Al Mubarak, Ferran Soriano and Txiki Begiristain who promote a footballing philosophy throughout anything they do (as was mentioned in the NYCFC press confrence). This means that while they are still in charge, your team will not stray from attractive, attacking football. 

We want to position this club to win, and to win in a special way.

I know that you are part of our plan for a global brand, hence the name change, but I really hope we don't mess with your home colours (even though I hate Man Utd red!) as it seems wrong to mess too much with a clubs identity however old that club may be. Melbourne City are officially my Ozzie team now! ;)

Anyway, g'day mates! 

CTID

• Like 1

Oh in response to whoever it was asking about Sky Blue, Sydney FC and NSW, Sky Blue has been the colours of NSW for over a century. This is why their Rugby League and Rugby Union teams play in it.

When Sydney FC was founded the owners rightly thought that adopting the state colours would help build support for their fledging club at home. They would have been well aware that their colours would have inspired hate in neignbouring Queensland and Victoria and presumably would have seen that as a bonus!

I'm really heartened by what most have written about the MCFC match day experience, because i think that the 3 planks for growing the supporter base are success and good football on the field, match day experience and communication with/from the franchise owners.

My wife's uncle is an ex-Man City goalie and often sits in the director's box, even he is really excited and says that this Man City team are playing the best football he's seen. That doesn't surprise me because last year I saw Malaga v Athletic Bilbao, a bit of a wet dream come true for me as it was clear that both Pellegrini and Bielsa would clean up the EPL if they were given the chance. Mr Bielsa for Melbourne City FC coach please!!!

We need to have season tickets that are less expensive than AFL season tickets, particularly as our season is so short. I'd like to see the upper level at AAMI Park opened up as few premium seating locations have limited utility and value. We need some serious training (not re-training) of the ground security staff, most of them openly express disdain for 'sokkah' and have no understanding of fan culture, passion and support. This is an issue across the HAL, but also at AAMI Park.

I've mentioned this several times but the stadium food really needs addressing, this is the most successfully multi-cultural country in the world playing the most multi-cultural sport in the world but you get offered the same buffers, chips and chicken nuggets (what is  really inside those things?) that you'd get at the AFL. 

Our club communications have been derivative, blandly corporate, full of motherhood statements and increasingly divorced from reality, I expect that this will change and the franchise will treat us as grownups.

Actually on reflection I'd rather not know what is inside the chicken nuggets. :o

Edited by belaguttman