Melbourne Football

Round 10 - Sydney FC vs MHFC - Sunday 15 Dec 5pm

hakz7

It would be pretty ironic if we break this away duck against sydney this week

Like rain on your wedding day

Pretty ironic that neither of these are ironic

Dont knock the Classics man...

Its like ten thousand forks when all you need is a knife.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 6

Pretty ironic that a song about irony has just about no ironic references in it...or...is that the point?  :huh:

Pretty ironic that a song about irony has just about no ironic references in it...or...is that the point?  :huh:

Fractals and Alanis morissette is a dangerous mix

Pretty ironic that neither of these are ironicPerhaps just stating the obvious KSK but you do know both of our last respective home and away wins were the same team?

It is an amusing little stat if nothing else

Edited by mattyh001

Pretty ironic that neither of these are ironic Pretty ironic that a song about irony has just about no ironic references in it...or...is that the point? :huh: Classic Ed Byrne joke is classic

Haha one of my favourite stand-up bits is his routine about that song

Sunday, 15 December 2013

Sydney FC v Melbourne Heart

Allianz Stadium, Sydney

Kick-off: 5:00pm local (5:00pm AEDT)

Referee: Chris Beath

Assistant Referee 1: Sarah Ho

Assistant Referee 2: Leigh Pigram

Fourth Official: Strebre Delovski

TV Broadcast: 4.30pm (AEDT) Live and exclusive broadcast on FOX Sports 1HD.Sky Sport 1 (New Zealand).

Radio Broadcast: ABC Radio Online/Mobile phone app

Sydney FC squad: 1.Ivan NECEVSKI (go), 2.Seb RYALL, 4.Ranko DESPOTOVIC, 5.Matt JURMAN, 6.Nikola PETKOVIC, 7. Brett EMERTON, 8. Pedj BOJIC, 10. Alessandro DEL PIERO ©, 11.Richard GARCIA, 14.Mitch MALLIA, 15.Terry MCFLYNN, 16.Joel CHIANESE, 19.Nicky CARLE, 20.Vedran JANJETOVIC (go), 21.Yairo YAU, 22.Ali ABBAS, 27.Christopher NAUMOFF, 28.Matt THOMPSON (Two to be omitted)

Ins: 7. Brett EMERTON (return from injury), 10.Alessandro DEL PIERO © (return from injury), 14. Mitch MALLIA (promoted),

Outs: Aaron CALVER (return to NYL duty),

Melbourne Heart FC Squad: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 3. Robbie WIELAERT, 6. Patrick GERHARDT, 7. Iain RAMSAY, 8. Massimo MURDOCCA, 10. Harry KEWELL, 11.Michael MIFSUD, 14. Golgol MEBRAHTU, 15. David WILLIAMS 16. Aziz BEHICH, 17. Jason HOFFMAN, 19. Ben GARUCCIO, 20. Tando VELAPHI (GK), 21. Stefan MAUK, 22. Nick KALMAR, 23. Mate DUGANDZIC, 24. Patrick KISNORBO, 25. Andrea MIGLIORINI (Two to be omitted)

Ins: 23. Mate DUGANDZIC (promoted)

Outs: Nil

Unavailable: 4. Orlando ENGELAAR (Fractured tibia – 6-10 weeks), 9. Dylan MACALLISTER (Hamstring – 1 week), 13. Jonatan GERMANO (Calf - 6 weeks).

Chris Beath as referee? He HATES us so we've already lost.

Also WTF is going on with Germano?

Edited by Red or Dead

Sunday, 15 December 2013

Sydney FC v Melbourne Heart

Allianz Stadium, Sydney

Kick-off: 5:00pm local (5:00pm AEDT)

Referee: Chris Beath

Assistant Referee 1: Sarah Ho

Assistant Referee 2: Leigh Pigram

Fourth Official: Strebre Delovski

TV Broadcast: 4.30pm (AEDT) Live and exclusive broadcast on FOX Sports 1HD.Sky Sport 1 (New Zealand).

Radio Broadcast: ABC Radio Online/Mobile phone app

Sydney FC squad: 1.Ivan NECEVSKI (go), 2.Seb RYALL, 4.Ranko DESPOTOVIC, 5.Matt JURMAN, 6.Nikola PETKOVIC, 7. Brett EMERTON, 8. Pedj BOJIC, 10. Alessandro DEL PIERO ©, 11.Richard GARCIA, 14.Mitch MALLIA, 15.Terry MCFLYNN, 16.Joel CHIANESE, 19.Nicky CARLE, 20.Vedran JANJETOVIC (go), 21.Yairo YAU, 22.Ali ABBAS, 27.Christopher NAUMOFF, 28.Matt THOMPSON (Two to be omitted)

Ins: 7. Brett EMERTON (return from injury), 10.Alessandro DEL PIERO © (return from injury), 14. Mitch MALLIA (promoted),

Outs: Aaron CALVER (return to NYL duty),

Unavailable: Rhyan GRANT (knee – season), Peter TRIANTIS (groin - indefinite), Terry ANTONIS (thigh - indefinite), Tiago Calvano (Suspended – 6 matches),

Melbourne Heart FC Squad: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 3. Robbie WIELAERT, 6. Patrick GERHARDT, 7. Iain RAMSAY, 8. Massimo MURDOCCA, 10. Harry KEWELL, 11.Michael MIFSUD, 14. Golgol MEBRAHTU, 15. David WILLIAMS 16. Aziz BEHICH, 17. Jason HOFFMAN, 19. Ben GARUCCIO, 20. Tando VELAPHI (GK), 21. Stefan MAUK, 22. Nick KALMAR, 23. Mate DUGANDZIC, 24. Patrick KISNORBO, 25. Andrea MIGLIORINI (Two to be omitted)

Ins: 23. Mate DUGANDZIC (promoted)

Outs: Nil

Unavailable: 4. Orlando ENGELAAR (Fractured tibia – 6-10 weeks), 9. Dylan MACALLISTER (Hamstring – 1 week), 13. Jonatan GERMANO (Calf - 6 weeks).

Chris Beath as referee??? He HATES us so we're going to lose

Also WTF is going on with Germano???

I hate to say it but Germano is gone.

Will get the chop for Migliorini

This is what we'll probably see:

Redmayne

Hoffman   -   Kisnorbo   -   Weilaert   -   Behich
Migliorini   -   Murdocca

Williams

Golgol            -            Ramsay

Mifsud

Bench: Velaphi, Gerhardt, Kewell, Mauk/Kalmar, Dugandzic

This is what I'd like to see - unfortunately no Walker again so have to go with Hoffman at right back  :(:

Redmayne

Migliorini      -      Murdocca

Mauk

Dugandzic         -         Williams

Golgol

Bench: Velaphi, Gerhardt, Kewell, Ramsay, Mifsud

Edited by Red or Dead

This is what we'll probably see:

Redmayne

Migliorini   -   Murdocca

Williams

Golgol            -            Ramsay

Mifsud

Bench: Velaphi, Gerhardt, Kewell, Mauk/Kalmar, Dugandzic

This is what I'd like to see - unfortunately no Walker again so have to go with Hoffman at right back  :(:

Redmayne

Migliorini      -      Murdocca

Mauk

Dugandzic         -         Williams

Golgol

Bench: Velaphi, Gerhardt, Kewell, Ramsay, Mifsud

Question.

Why would you even bother starting Golgol?

Is usually great when coming off the bench, but he doesnt do enough for me when he is selected in the starting 11.

Edited by [LIBBA]
  • Like 1

Good question Libba. I had Mifsud upfront but then I thought without Kewell on the field they're gonna do their usual kick it high and long to the forwards so Golgol will be better placed to handle the high balls.

Once Kewell comes on (I'm hoping in a double substitution) Mauk will probably come off for Kewell and Golgol will come off for Mifsud.

Then the final sub he can bring on Ramsay for Dugandzic (most likely), but move Williams to the right and play Ramsay on the left, like this:

Kewell

Williams         -         Ramsay

Mifsud

Like the optimism here guys -- hope we win but I'll be happy with a draw -- then get all three points from the derby.

Due to the hole that the team has dug for itself, I think we have to look at the rest of the season in blocks. Probably should have been expecting seven points from the Sydney/Newcastle/Adelaide games and ended up with one. For the bit of cheer that the second half against Adelaide brought us, if we'd knocked them off, we'd be even with them on points. A draw at home against a team in Adelaide's position should never be viewed as anything more than it was: glimpses of promise. Cause for a small smile that we'd finally registered a point in a game that we'd trailed. And then again last week, when for the second week in a row, the team showed a bit of resolve to cling on for a point (last year's outfit would have given that one away, without a doubt).

From the Adelaide game, we went on to the last three-game block before Christmas. West Sydney (a), Sydney (a), Melb Victory (h). As tough a three-game stretch as you can find for us this season. Three draws would have been a major improvement over anything we'd seen in the previous games. But if they're serious about doing anything more than making up the numbers this year, five points was the minimum they needed from WSW/Syd/MV. And it still should be. It might sound funny for a team that hasn't won since February, but just getting a win isn't enough; there needs to be a consistency in output, a bit of backbone, turning zero points into one and one into three (like teams have a knack of doing against us). Stop being an easy team to play against.

So, to cut a long story short, we need four points from the two games before Christmas. Get that and we're right back in the mix for top six at the end of the year. Take 0-3 points from the next fortnight into Christmas and it's back to square one. I just don't want people to get blinded by a potential win against Sydney, or even Victory. Coming from where we find ourselves, one win is not enough.

Let's go into Christmas on eight points and with a bit of that infamous 'B' word. The first two games of 2014 are going to be tough, but hopefully by that stage, the confidence has been restored and the team will not accept throwing points away on the road. Because after that, the fixture looks extremely friendly to the Heart.

Edited by SF33
  • Like 1

Give Kewell a half maybe? Or still not ready to start?

I think he might not be ready for a start.

If anything, it would probably be better to bring him on early in the second when the game may slow down a little with tired legs.

I think though that we may see him start against the Victards if he can finish the game injury free this weekend

• Like 1

John Aloisi: Melbourne Heart looking to become road warriors

Michael Huguenin

Melbourne Heart coach John Aloisi believes his team may be able to hurt Sydney FC on the counter-attack on Sunday as the Red and Whites chase a breakthrough away win.

Claiming their first point away to Western Sydney Wanderers last week – ending a run of 11 losses in games outside Victoria – has helped the confidence at the club and Aloisi this will inspire another positive result this weekend. 

Aloisi has attempted to turn Heart into a lethal counter-attacking outfit this season in a bid to utilise the pace of players like Michael Mifsud, David Williams and Golgol Mebrahtu, and the 37-year-old coach reckons Sydney may be a prime target for such tactics. 

Despite sitting fourth on the A-League table, Sydney have an even goal difference, underlining an element of defensive fragility, which Heart hope to exploit. 

"Their strengths are definitely (Alessandro) Del Piero and those sorts of players going forward and then, hopefully, when they're going forward and they push a few too many numbers up, we can catch them out," Aloisi said on Friday. 

Sydney's Allianz Stadium was the last venue outside Victoria where Heart tasted success, albeit back in 2011 when the Red and Whites overcame the Sky Blues 4-0. 

Since then, Heart have failed to claim three points outside Melbourne in 22 A-League matches but Aloisi hopes things have turned around with that 1-1 draw last weekend. 

"It gives us a lot of confidence because it's a difficult place to go," Aloisi said of Western Sydney's Pirtek Stadium.

"The Wanderers are a good side, especially at home, you know, with their fans behind them. 

"To get any sort of result there is a positive and it gives the boys confidence that we can go to Sydney again and get the result that we want because we want to start winning, we need to start winning." 

Despite the promising signs of last week, Heart remain bottom of the A-League with just four points from nine rounds. 

But Aloisi remains adamant his team would not be in such a position if they had not suffered so many injuries so far this season. 

The former Heart striker is hopeful those days are behind the club with Harry Kewell having played 20 minutes versus the Wanderers, although Aloisi remains doubtful his former Socceroos teammate will start against Sydney. 

"He's had a better week of training than last week," Aloisi said. 

"Last week he virtually only trained once with us but he was up for the game and we knew we could only give him 20 minutes. 

"We'll see if we start him on Sunday or not but he definitely can't play 90 minutes." 

http://www.sportal.com.au/football/a-league/john-aloisi-melbourne-heart-looking-to-become-road-warriors/1o2kfevvlgl2g119u8by64iazx

Edited by Murfy1

Give us the dot points Murf...I can't listen to 6 minutes of that bloke without chundering.

The article above catches the gist of what he said. Coupled with those points, JA said:

- 'we can turn the corner'. He said we've been turning the corner since the Adelaide game. Must be a pretty big corner...

- JA heaped praise on our opponents saying it will be a 'tough game' because Sydney, Aloisi alledges, are 'a good side', 'especially at home', and they have 'great players'. IMO they have useful, good players but they are not a good team, because like us they don't play as a team and they have a mediocre coach (plus they have had many easy games to start the season). Also I didn't see him actually praise our team and our players, and explain why we should play better than Sydney and win.

- Getting a solitary point against WSW was great and gave the team 'a lot of confidence' because 'to get any sort of result there is a positive'

- 'we want to start winning'. Said at least 3 times by my count.

- Some good journalism with the question why Heart should expect any result from this game against Sydney, give that we lost 2-0 to them earier. JA said that was our worst match and 'unacceptable' and we'll have players back for the match and the players 'will be up' for this match...

- 'We want to keep Harry fit for the whole season'

- JA: hopefully 'we can catch them out' after they push too many numbers forward. Sounds like we'll be parking the bus and trying to counter. Doesn't sound like we'll press much (and we should against Sydney). We have been slow and terrible at transitioning into counters this season IMO despite having the right players, so if we play this way I hope JA can get this stupidly simple tactic right.

- JA doesn't really focus on external pressure because 'We put pressure on ourselves'

So pretty much the usual boilerplate cliches were used to try and explain our situation, and Aloisi didn't look and sound uncomfortable enough given the situation we're in. Which means IMO he's not getting the appropriate amount of pressure being put on him from the club, the media and the public. I keep hoping to notice changes about Heart each week, but instead the club seem to be becoming far too comfortable and accepting of where we are at the moment.
Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

Give us the dot points Murf...I can't listen to 6 minutes of that bloke without chundering.

So pretty much the usual boilerplate cliches were used to try and explain our situation, and Aloisi didn't look and sound uncomfortable enough given the situation we're in. Which means IMO he's not getting the appropriate amount of pressure being put on him from the club, the media and the public. I keep hoping to notice changes about Heart each week, but instead the club seem to be becoming far too comfortable and accepting of where we are at the moment.

Thanks for the summary. As you say, full of cliches, "hope" and "hopeful."

I couldn't agree more with the phrase I've highlighted above. MHFC needs to be very careful that it doesn't cry "wolf" once too often and lose the support of people who have stuck by it so far.

• Like 1

Great another game of counter attack football. We have become the most anti-football side in the league. When we began the club was all about providing Melbourne a team who is pro-active and looks to control the game with a slick passing style. This was the opposite to the dark side who had become renowned for their channel ball approach.

Oh how the landscape has changed and it is all based on the coach and nothing else!!

In addition to that how many NYL team players have been given opportunities in the senior team this season? This is not the Heart philosophy that attracted me

Great another game of counter attack football. We have become the most anti-football side in the league. When we began the club was all about providing Melbourne a team who is pro-active and looks to control the game with a slick passing style. This was the opposite to the dark side who had become renowned for their channel ball approach.

Oh how the landscape has changed and it is all based on the coach and nothing else!!

How right you are. The club has let down its Foundation Members badly. It's not as if we've abandoned our original values for something more successful - indeed, the diametric opposite. Shame on all concerned.

• Like 4