Melbourne Football

Current squad

jw1739

50 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Do we think Arslan and Leckie can both play in midfield together?

Yes, in a 4231 think the best lineup is.

Young

Galloway Souprayen Good Fernandez

Jeggo Arslan

Jakolis          Leckie          Tilio

Maclaren

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Zanty said:

Yes, in a 4231 think the best lineup is.

Young

Galloway Souprayen Good Fernandez

Jeggo Arslan

Jakolis          Leckie          Tilio

Maclaren

I like that, however we have seen Jakolis play his best football on the left as an inverted winger. Can we swap them around?

Edited by Mr MO

4 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Do we think Arslan and Leckie can both play in midfield together?

Yes, it's more that we have an over abundance of wingers and I have no idea on Godoy, I'd say FB is our weakest area. Also mid season is probably not the best time to change what we are doing.

4411 without the ball                                                                      With the ball

Young                                                                                                   Young

Hall Souprayen Good Galloway                                                Hall Souprayen Good

Jakolis Antonis Arslan Tilio                                                                Galloway

Leckie                                                                                   Jakolis Antonis Arslan Tilio

Macca                                                                                                    Leckie

Macca

Young

Galloway Souprayen Good ?

Jeggo

Leckie Arslan

Jakolis Macca Tilio

8 hours ago, moops said:

4411 without the ball                                                                      With the ball

Young                                                                                                   Young

Hall Souprayen Good Galloway                                                Hall Souprayen Good

Jakolis Antonis Arslan Tilio                                                                Galloway

Leckie                                                                                   Jakolis Antonis Arslan Tilio

Macca                                                                                                    Leckie

Macca

Young

Galloway Souprayen Good ?

Jeggo

Leckie Arslan

Jakolis Macca Tilio

What is this dogs breakfast? 

• Haha 2

MELBOURNE CITY PLAYING SQUAD 2023-24                                 8 February 2024

Goalkeepers.:                                              Until                                        Club 
1    Jamie YOUNG*                               30/6/24                             4/7/23
40  James NIEUWENHUIZEN (S)*      30/6/27                            17/10/23

33  Patrick BEACH                               30/6/26                            23/6/2
Defenders:
22  Curtis GOOD*                                 30/6/24                           11/6/21  
2    Scott GALLOWAY                           30/6/25                             2/10/21
4    Nuno REIS (V)*                               30/6/24                            17/6/21
25  Callum TALBOT                              30/6/25                            24/5/22
26  Samuel SOUPRAYEN (V)               30/6/25                            10/7/23
16  Aziz BEHICH                                   30/6/25 (On loan to Al-Nassr) 31/1/24 

18  Jordon HALL*                                 30/6/24                             9/8/23

--   Harry POLITIDIS                             30/6/24                            25/9/23
--   Vicente FERNANDEZ                      30/6/24                            8/2/24
--   Jayden NECOVSKI (S)                    30/6/27                            24/4/24

Midfielders:
10   Tolgay ARSLAN (V)                        30/6/25                            15/7/23
39   Emin DURAKOVIC (S)                    30/6/26                            22/6/23
34   Arion SULEMANI (S)                      30/6/26                            22/6/23
35   Zane SCHREIBER                           30/6/26                            23/6/23
21  Alessandro LOPANE                        30/6/25 (1 season ext. option) 23/6/23
6    Steven UGARKOVIC                        30/6/25 (1 season ext. option) 30/6/23
17  Terry ANTONIS*                              30/6/24                             6/7/23
37  Max CAPUTO                                  30/6/26                             13/7/23
8   James JEGGO                                  30/6/25 (1 season ext. option) 31/1/24

Forwards:
9    Jamie MacLAREN*                         30/6/24                              23/9/21
15  Andrew NABBOUT*                        30/6/24                              10/6/21
7    Mathew LECKIE *                           30/6/24                               5/6/21

44  Marin JAKOLIS (L)*                        30/6/24                               2/8/23
--   Leo NATEL (V,L)*                            30/6/24                              15/9/23
--   Ben MAZZEO                                   30/6/26 (1-season ext. trigger) 16/1/24
--   Marco TILIO (L)*                              30/6/24                              1/2/24
* Denotes player out of contract end this season

Edited by jw1739

Our only hope is

8 defenders, Arslan and 2 attackers

Long ball counter attack 30% possession

Gk                         YOUNG

Def 

TALBOT REIS GOOD SOUPRAY FERNANDEZ                        HALL POLITIDIS     

Mid                    ARSLAN

Fwd            LECKIE   MacLAREN

• 3 weeks later...

Against WSW Natel got a goal admittedly a tap in but you still need to be there and a really well worked assist to Jmac. Lovely dummy sending the defender the wrong way and nice pass to Macca. Nabbout had that cross to Jmac for a header but offside by a mile. They're two different beasts: Nabbout more direct and relies on speed. Natel more on technical trickery. Both are heavily built and can throw their weight around. We haven't seen a great year from Nabbout because of his injury. Natel however is growing on me, I think his attitude has changed as seems much more competitive than when he first got here

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Le Hack said:

Against WSW Natel got a goal admittedly a tap in but you still need to be there and a really well worked assist to Jmac. Lovely dummy sending the defender the wrong way and nice pass to Macca. Nabbout had that cross to Jmac for a header but offside by a mile. They're two different beasts: Nabbout more direct and relies on speed. Natel more on technical trickery. Both are heavily built and can throw their weight around. We haven't seen a great year from Nabbout because of his injury. Natel however is growing on me, I think his attitude has changed as seems much more competitive than when he first got here

Natel wasted two 1v1 chances, but at 26 he can still respond to some good coaching. IMO his biggest problem is stopping forward momentum too often. I agree he's looking a lot more competitive.
Nabbout at 31 isn't going to change, and IMO he doesn't score often enough to warrant a new contract.

As to our wingers generally, Jakolis frustrates me. Last night I was more enthusiastic, but in fact it was Ugarkovic who put in the crosses that I had attributed to Jakolis.

The big change up front has been Caputo. The boy has presence, he's slippery and moves around nicely. His anticipation and determination to get to the ball is great to watch. Even JMac seemed to be inspired by him.

• Like 1

Jakolis did provide the through ball for Caputo to centre it for Natel's goal. Take and turn was sublime. He also was somewhat the provider of the assist for Caputos's goal although Caputo had a bit of work to get to it. Caputo has done really well with his last two games. You'd think he'd have to start again next game

• Like 2

Nabbout is our aerial out. Ever seen him lose a header from that dump kick out wide from our goalie? Perhaps not as quick but very important to our structure when we play that way. Always has been.

Natel is different in that we'd probably play through him nowadays via the ground route. Perhaps not as quick as perceived and can be dispossessed when trying to take on players rather than being direct. 

Depends on how we want to play. Both have pros and cons. 

• Like 1

On 13/03/2024 at 12:41 PM, Le Hack said:

Yeah, Natal has all the technique, it's his decision making and overall mindset that's frustrating at times. Only game time will help with that, I don't know how much he was playing before he came here.

2 hours ago, Le Hack said:

Patrick Beach was in goals for the Olyroos overnight in their 2-1 win. Wonder if we'll ever see him play a game for us or will he be like Gauci and move on after a year

Beach is on a contract until 30th June 2026. I don't think he's going anywhere, and Young's expires at the end of this season.

I hope we'll see Beach between the sticks next season, or, yes, there's every reason for him to seek a release. But not yet.

At least and at last Vidmar has had the balls to rest JMac and give Caputo a start. I think a feature of recent seasons has been a failure to give adequate time to younger players, but then we want the trophies too, don't we? And they've been delivered. 

Unless we magically scrape into third on the ladder with Phoenix above us, who are ineligible for Asia, then we won't be there next season, so perhaps Vidmar has more licence to experiment, but then again, while that small chance remains he's got to go for it, and Young is doing the job right now.

15 hours ago, Le Hack said:

Patrick Beach was in goals for the Olyroos overnight in their 2-1 win. Wonder if we'll ever see him play a game for us or will he be like Gauci and move on after a year

All I could find of the match, usually Football Aust puts their matches on yt.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, fensaddler said:

No to Piscopo, unsure about Iredale and Leckie. Leckie because of his injury issues and if a contract extension is offered/accepted then there is no need to rush him back and best just begin to manage his recovery properly. If Iredale is offered/accepted contract what will become of Caputo?

No to Vidmar. Pappas I have always respected him so this could be a good move, but why did he leave Buriram United? And to throw another name is Rik De Mil from the Belgian league who has just been sacked by KVC Westerlo (Jordie's club) for apparently throwing the last game against Gent - both Westerlo and Gent needed a point only and as the scores were tied, Westerlo just passed the ball amongst themselves (Bos had already been subbed out). Since De Mil won't face those issues in the A-League, we would have a decent European manager.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Fairly shallow article thought. I think most, if not all, of those coming out of contract should be let go with thanks. The squad is ageing and it shows. I'd keep Fernandez and maybe Hall as a cheap back-up. Leckie and Nabbout have barely contributed this season - injuries or not it is not a good omen going forward. 

We need new blood, and a new spirit in the team and on the terraces, and I think fans would accept a season of rebuilding. I just hope the recruiting is up to it. And I'd like to see evidence that we've been scouting in East Asia.

As for a new manager - yes please. And hopefully someone who will be on board before all the signings, and someone with some connections of his own in terms of players.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Fairly shallow article thought. I think most, if not all, of those coming out of contract should be let go with thanks. The squad is ageing and it shows. I'd keep Fernandez and maybe Hall as a cheap back-up. Leckie and Nabbout have barely contributed this season - injuries or not it is not a good omen going forward. 

We need new blood, and a new spirit in the team and on the terraces, and I think fans would accept a season of rebuilding. I just hope the recruiting is up to it. And I'd like to see evidence that we've been scouting in East Asia.

As for a new manager - yes please. And hopefully someone who will be on board before all the signings, and someone with some connections of his own in terms of players.

I think Leckie would be valuable even off the bench, he still offers a lot and it's really his first run of injuries he's had in his career and it wouldn't surprise me if the club was somewhat at fault for that by playing him injured.

I would prefer us to develop Politidis, he looks good to me, football smart and has technique. I'm not sure Fernandez offers a whole lot more as a foreign player imho, foreign player spots might be at a premium for a rebuild, like CB and wing.

A lot of people have raved about Iredale, didn't he play some minutes against Lebanon?

As for a new manager someone mentioned Zdrilic, I don't have any suggestions. Rik De Mil seems to be contracted with Charleroi fc until 2026 according to Transfermarkt.

2 hours ago, moops said:

I think Leckie would be valuable even off the bench, he still offers a lot and it's really his first run of injuries he's had in his career and it wouldn't surprise me if the club was somewhat at fault for that by playing him injured.

I would prefer us to develop Politidis, he looks good to me, football smart and has technique. I'm not sure Fernandez offers a whole lot more as a foreign player imho, foreign player spots might be at a premium for a rebuild, like CB and wing.

A lot of people have raved about Iredale, didn't he play some minutes against Lebanon?

As for a new manager someone mentioned Zdrilic, I don't have any suggestions. Rik De Mil seems to be contracted with Charleroi fc until 2026 according to Transfermarkt.

I don't think it's sensible to tie up cap money with a senior player such as Leckie and then sit him on the bench. Your top earners should be starters.

11 hours ago, moops said:

Well Rik De Mil was sacked on March 19 and had a new job by March 22! In that case Zdrilic or Pappas for me.

As for Leckie, that will depend on the length of the contract and the money.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think it's sensible to tie up cap money with a senior player such as Leckie and then sit him on the bench. Your top earners should be starters.

You’d have to offer him a cheaper deal. Then it comes down to what he wants do career wise from here. He’s got nothing to prove that’s for sure.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...