Melbourne Football

RD4 Brisbane vs MHFC, Suncorp 5pm EST

cadete

Aloisi says there are "positives" to come out of this dismal performance...the only positive will be Virgin Australia losing his fucking luggage between Brisbane and Tullamarine (or them finding the drugs he's clearly taking, stashed in amongst his socks) what an arsehole! Grow some balls MHFC board, sack the fuckwit NOW!!!

• Like 1

Not sure if this has been mentioned but

Hoffman plays 3 games in that time we have conceded 3 goals

Walker plays 1 game and we conceded 3 goals 

Try a new formula cause your last one not working

It isn't as simple as that, we've also conceded 3 without Kisnorbo. We look much better balanced going forward with Walker. Hoffman offers nothing going forwards

• Like 1

The logic of playing Gerhardt ahead of Vranks amazes me. I lost count of the amount of over-hit long passes from Paddy that either went out or straight to a Roar defender.

Brisbane hardly pressed us in defence, when we were able to play out through Walker and Behich we actually looked like a football team and then Paddy would lump it up field when there was a simple pass 10 yards away. If you have a style you want to play you use the players that suit that style, Gerhardt would be great if we had a Giroud type striker that could win 50/50's with centre backs, not fucking Mifsud.

• Like 2

Depressing.

I agree with those saying that Aloisi wasn't solely responsible for what we just saw. Our players have to take their chances in front of goal, and none did. They didn't work Brisbane's keeper at all, despite having a handful of good chances, and you can't blame the coach for that.

Nonetheless, Aloisi was seriously at fault for this loss. And his shortcomings are now starting to look like fatal flaws. In particular I'd highlight A) our inability to retain possession for 60 seconds. Zero excuses for our poor passing and possession B ) persisting with Williams as a 10. He isn't, and he turned the ball over numerous times, and he played next to no useful forward passes C) the tactical changes he made when we were chasing the game. He only seemed to stop playing Williams as a 10 in the last several minutes. And he played Mauk as a defensive midfielder in place of Migliorini (instead of using Retre, an actual DM who was on the bench). And then for some reason Gerhardt seemed to be playing as a 10 for the last several minutes. I'm sure he was further up field than Mauk. Wtf?

I think Aloisi in the immediate post-match press conference said what he did to gee-up the players and motivate them for next week's match. Annoying to hear such talk in public, though, and Aloisi didn't send a good message to the public.

JA's on very thin ice. Not good enough.

Edited by Murfy1

JA's obviously under pressure, but what exactly did he do wrong today?

He changed tactics and approach, which improved our performance. He didn't miss the chances we created. He didn't have lapses in concentration which led to goals, although he could've made sure the players came out with more intensity right after half time. And there's an obvious lack of confidence leading to players dropping their heads when the game gets away. But we had plenty of chances to go ahead in the first half, and even at 1-0 down, were creating enough chances to get back into it. 

But yeah, he's probably got a couple of weeks and it looks like something needs to happen to shake this squad out of its problems.

• Like 1

He changed tactics and approach, which improved our performance. He didn't miss the chances we created. He didn't have lapses in concentration which led to goals, although he could've made sure the players came out with more intensity right after half time. And there's an obvious lack of confidence leading to players dropping their heads when the game gets away. But we had plenty of chances to go ahead in the first half, and even at 1-0 down, were creating enough chances to get back into it. 

But yeah, he's probably got a couple of weeks and it looks like something needs to happen to shake this squad out of its problems.

The first half was very tactically sound and it was the players' fault for not taking their chances, but that second half was just inexcusable and it's not like it was a first-time occurrence... last season I remember we were one of the best teams in the leagues and would have been top 2 or 3 if the games ended at half-time, whilst we had the worst second-half performances in the league.

JA has seemingly done nothing to rectify this and it's about time we end this experiment and bring in someone competent who will actually command respect, make logical choices and give hope to the fans again or else it's going to be another long, disappointing season.

What a fucking joke. You wonder why scotty munn, we have fuck all members? Today is the prefect example.

We played so good in that first half, and to drop away so badly jesus christ heart you useless cunts.

Misfud is completely the wrong type of player for this team, we lob the ball long so many times, that the poor fucker is battling with blokes twice his height trying to get a header. On a CCM or WSW he would be leading scorer.

And JA, what do i say about this fuckwit that hasn't already been said? You need to fall on your sword mate, for the sake of the team. If the heart board are serious about winning games, he'll be sacked in the morning

Not sure if this has been mentioned but

Hoffman plays 3 games in that time we have conceded 3 goals

Walker plays 1 game and we conceded 3 goals 

Try a new formula cause your last one not working

It isn't as simple as that, we've also conceded 3 without Kisnorbo. We look much better balanced going forward with Walker. Hoffman offers nothing going forwards

Yes but Walker did not stand out put in the same kind of shift Hoffman would

To be honest this was probably our most difficult match of the season so far and we were maybe a little unlucky to lose. The performance was ok, probably better than our last 15 or so interstate matches. That said, when your best away performance is decided by poor finishing, a couple of defensive mistakes and poor referring decisions (I don't want to blame the ref though, but that 2nd goal shouldn't have stood.), it's not good enough. 

If we played like that against Perth last week we probably would have won and we definitely would have won at least one out of our last 15 interstate matches with a performance like that. Still definitely room for improvement but as long as we build on this performance we will get some points away from home.

I'm not saying everything is going well and Aloisi is doing a good job but for me this result was probably the least disappointing so far. Pretty depressing when your best result is a 3-0 loss though.

Like others have said, we had chances at 0-0 and 1-0. If we put one or two away things would have been much different. Don't get me wrong I really couldn't give a fuck how we perform as long as we get results but at least it looked like we could have got a result this week.

Side note; Sarah Jelly on Shootout  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:​ 

• Like 4

Mulvey saw the tactical weakness in his team and adjusted at half-time. JA should have anticipated it and also adjusted, he didn't. When the team went down 2 goals he brought on Mauk but should have played him as a 10 with Williams as a 9 as Mifsud drifted out of the game after 70 minutes. In training the team should have been instructed WHEN to use a team press so that we didn't run out of legs in what was going to be a hot game.

That shot accuracy though lol

#whiplashforpresident

That's what happens in teams with no confidence. If we had scored the team anxiety from last season would have returned.

Exactly if we had have gone up 2 - 0 in the first half it's naive to think that would have been game over. 

I'm getting sick of people "looking for the positives". Anyone finding excuses for a manager that has led a team to a year and a half of not winning outside Victoria is being silly. 

Agreed. As I've put elsewhere, it's the wrong thing to do to over-analyse one particular game. What we have to do is look at the performances over time and ask the question whether this manager/coach is taking the club in the directions that the club wishes to go.

It's no different whatever the organization. You don't walk in and fire the Sales Manager because last month's sales were poor; you look at the overall trend.

If I were Peter Sidwell I would consider that I had sufficient indication now that the present coach is not taking my club where I want it to go. I'd base that assessment on last season, particularly the disastrous fade-out in the final five matches, followed by the pre-season, and now the first four matches of this season.

I'm not blaming anyone, but in life it's the man at the top who has to take the responsibility for failure. You don't blame the soldiers for not shooting straight, it's the general who got the battle strategy wrong who carries the can.

IMO we don't need a new man from outside. Between Palatsides, Nus and JvS we have enough expertise to start the rebuild now. IMO supporters will stay loyal if they can see something positive happening. If we just drift on from here though it could be a disaster for the club.

Yes the first 30mins were good by us but no team can keep up such a high intensity press for that long! The players were always going to drop off because they would have to be fit as race horses to keep that up for 90mins. It was poor tactics again by JA because by half time the players were spent and Brisbane ran all over us.  But atleast his still proud..!

Yes, we are good at team pressing but no good at all at knowing when to press in a game. Consequently we can manage it for a half and then just sit deeper and deeper. Same pattern every game apart from the games where we don't press at all. The other problem with indiscriminate pressing is that as players start to tire the team presses unevenly and this creates opportunities for good teams to exploit