Melbourne Football

Match Review - From the Heart

hardsy

Hello all,

Great to get a point last night and to see the season finally start.  It was a positive start for Heart.

#MelbourneisRedandWhite

Here is my match review from last night, would love to get your feedback/suggestions for future reviews.  I am trying to more Melbourne Heart content on the 'From the Stands' website so this will be a weekly feature.

http://www.fromthestandsal.com/2013/10/13/heart-round-one-victory/

Hardsy

• Like 3

Good one.

In regards to the reffing, yes OK by A League standards, BUT an incorrect offside call robbed us of a fantastic attacking opportunity and an act of pure thuggery (a Les Boyd coat hanger) by that Chilean grandfather went unnoticed.  Both these incorrect decisions may have impacted the result.  This is not just down to the ref though, the assistants are supposed to help, not make things worse. 

Good one.

In regards to the reffing, yes OK by A League standards, BUT an incorrect offside call robbed us of a fantastic attacking opportunity and an act of pure thuggery (a Les Boyd coat hanger) by that Chilean grandfather went unnoticed.  Both these incorrect decisions may have impacted the result.  This is not just down to the ref though, the assistants are supposed to help, not make things worse. 

At the same time though, Paddy Kisnorbo was fortunate not to concede a penalty for handball. 

Definitely seen worse paid so we were lucky in that regard, just didn't create nearly enough chances in the end.

Good one.

At the same time though, Paddy Kisnorbo was fortunate not to concede a penalty for handball. 

Definitely seen worse paid so we were lucky in that regard, just didn't create nearly enough chances in the end.

Good thing we didn't get Ben Williams!

I hate Ben Williams as much as the next A-League supporter but all bar probably 1 or 2 of the yellow cards issued yesterday were certainly there. 

But lol at Perth for being unable to score against 10 men for 30 minutes and then 9 men for another 10  :P

I hate Ben Williams as much as the next A-League supporter but all bar probably 1 or 2 of the yellow cards issued yesterday were certainly there. 

But lol at Perth for being unable to score against 10 men for 30 minutes and then 9 men for another 10  :P

You forgetting about our effort against WSW last season?

But lol at Perth for being unable to score against 10 men for 30 minutes and then 9 men for another 10 :P

Wasnt just that we didn't score. We were completely outplayed for more than an hour.

It's only early days this season so there's no point in getting carried away with anything. But I think there are a few things we can take from Saturday night's performance. I managed to persuade a few family members who haven't come to a match for years to come along on Saturday, and sadly they found it unenjoyable. I hardly blame them.

Positives: 

1. Under pressure, the CBs were superb. Kisnorbo in particular was brave and strong. Wielhardt passed the ball backwards to Redmayne too many times for my liking, when there were perhaps opportunities to push on, but his positioning was very good. 

2. There was a defensive resilience across the team as a whole. During periods of the game we were under pressure, we didn't capitulate like we might have done last season. I think this can only bode well for our away form. If our CBs can stay fit, they together with the hard working Murdocca in midfield and the pace we have on the flanks should point to improved away form. 

3. Harry Kewell. He worked very hard and all of our most effective attacks went through him. I hope he's ok.

Things that concerned:

1. I'm not convinced by Aloisi. We have a strong enough squad for finals contention, and even a place in the top 4, without a doubt. I don't know why he called a 0-0 draw a "good way to start". In his press conference after the game he seemed well pleased that the game plan of not letting Victory get in behind had succeeded, and called it a "tactically" good match. We're never going to attract members or friends to further games playing so defensively. There's no threat of relegation in this league, and we can hardly do worse than last year, so why not have a go and give us something exciting?

2. We can be happy with the defensive performance but the lack of confidence in midfield was worrying. Frequently, when we had chances to press forwards, and take the slightest risks to create a goalscoring opportunity, it lead to a serious of cautious backpasses that went all the way back to Redmayne. My girlfriend who knows nothing about "soccer" even got irritated with this..."why don't they go forwards?". And despite this, we managed fewer than half the number of passes Victory did during the match...

Though the result was decent, we have to perform better than this to have any chance of making the finals. 

• Like 1

I don't always mind passing backwards to the keeper. Several times Nichols took the bait and sprinted at redmayne which not only tires him out but left a gap in the midfield to pass in to.

Probs did it a bit much for my liking too though

Edited by Tbitm

I don't always mind passing backwards to the keeper. Several times Nichols took the bait and sprinted at redmayne which not only tires him out but left a gap in the midfield to pass in to.

The problem is when we pass it back we dont do it anywhere near fast or efficent enough for it to be a attacking strategy like when it was used by Ange's Brisbane sides at their best.

• Like 1

one thing that has always worried me with Heart isn't the backpassing necessarily but the lack of presentnig from midfield when we do.  in the past, guys like Fred, Thompson, Germano, Kalmar, etc, have performed either inconsistently or like lazy little shites and not offered an option for Redders or Bolton.  hence why the two have always had to thump it.

But lol at Perth for being unable to score against 10 men for 30 minutes and then 9 men for another 10 :P

Wasnt just that we didn't score. We were completely outplayed for more than an hour.

I am 100% forgetting about our effort against WSW last season along with the majority of last season for obvious reasons!  :up:

I am 100% forgetting about our effort against WSW last season along with the majority of last season for obvious reasons!   :up:

Also regarding our style of play, if back passing and playing with less flair is what it's going to take to win a title then I couldn't give a shit. Had enough seasons trying to play beautiful football and ending up short. I wanna fuckin win, I want this club to win. I want to tell those victory supporters and those in the media that suckle at the teat of victory "fuck you!" In the end this is top end football in this country. Which means winning is the sole objective, nothing else. We ain't barca and we ain't ajax. We need football that's going to win in the aleague. Simple as that.

Absolutely true regarding our midfield not presenting themselves enough. Saw wielaert get frustrated a couple times because he has the ball and no ones working hard enough to get away from their marker to receive the ball. Basic football 101.

Nothing wrong with passing back to create space, but it relies on the team moving for the ball not waiting for it to be passed then moving. Australian football has a big issue with not being able to properly utilise passing back. Too many people see it as going the wrong way.

but if it is done correctly it is a case of one step back two forward

Also regarding our style of play, if back passing and playing with less flair is what it's going to take to win a title then I couldn't give a shit. Had enough seasons trying to play beautiful football and ending up short. I wanna fuckin win, I want this club to win. I want to tell those victory supporters and those in the media that suckle at the teat of victory "fuck you!" In the end this is top end football in this country. Which means winning is the sole objective, nothing else. We ain't barca and we ain't ajax. We need football that's going to win in the aleague. Simple as that.

I was attracted to the high possession, tactically sophisticated style we tried to implement in the first couple of years. And to be honest, it kind of annoys me that Victory have since taken our place in that regard.

But to do it, I think you need an experienced coach who really knows what he's doing - as well as players capable of delivering it. With Aloisi as a second year coach, it kind of makes sense to start with a system that's probably simpler, but defensively solid and will make us hard to beat. A dour 0-0 draw against a highly fancied opponent in round 1 is ok with me. It reminded me of the way Popovic's WSW started last season. In contrast, Victory tried to implement a high possession passing style immediately with an inexperienced Mehmet Durakovic and it turned into a disaster.

Aloisi needs to get results at the moment. In time, and with the support of the club and people like Nus and JVS, I'm sure he'll develop the experience, knowledge, and confidence to try different things and do it successfully.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 3