Melbourne Football

Orlando Engelaar

Murfy1

Engelaar looked as unstoppable as the Terminator tonight

Sat way too deep though.

I'm hoping this is because of lack of fitness, not his natural game style.

Gave the opposition room to carry the ball forward, caused us problems.

Very calm on the ball, however.

Engelaar was playing as a regista. It'll be interesting to see if JVS uses him regularly like that. This was what Aloisi wanted Grella to do as well.

Edited by belaguttman

Sat way too deep though.

Engelaar was playing as a regista. It'll be interesting to see if JVS uses him regularly like that. This was what Aloisi wanted Grella to do as well.

if he could be as 1/4 as good as Franz Beckenbaur in that role I would be ecstatic 

Sat way too deep though.

if he could be as 1/4 as good as Franz Beckenbaur in that role I would be ecstatic 

Beckenbauer played as a sweeper rather than a regista. Think of a register as a deep midfield playmaker, a much more creative attacking role than a sweeper or libero who often even sat behind the CBs.

Edited by belaguttman

Sat way too deep though.

Beckenbauer played as a sweeper rather than a regista. Think of a register as a deep midfield playmaker, a much more creative attacking role than a sweeper or libero who often even sat behind the CBs.

I'll have to differ with you here Bela, he played as sweeper in front of the back 4 for much of his career, very revolutionery at the time, preceeding the modern day "regista" by  30 years

These terms are not that precise, registas are more common in South America where they fit into the South American attacking minded game and so have a large attacking role. Liberos are more of an old fashioned european football thing, little used in big teams and the emphasis is more defensive. The position on the field is more nominal and can vary from behind the CBs to in front

These terms are not that precise, registas are more common in South America where they fit into the South American attacking minded game and so have a large attacking role. Liberos are more of an old fashioned european football thing, little used in big teams and the emphasis is more defensive. The position on the field is more nominal and can vary from behind the CBs to in front

Very diplomatic Bela

Glad we aren't going to have a big arguement !!!

Any way, looking forward to when the big O is matchfit, he really just waltzed around on Friday night

Probably the most refreshing thing about him as soon as he came on he was trying to calm everyone down and get them into positions. Also, when we had those corners late in the game there would have been a huge pressure to move forward given his size, but he stayed back to marshal the defence.

Probably the most refreshing thing about him as soon as he came on he was trying to calm everyone down and get them into positions. Also, when we had those corners late in the game there would have been a huge pressure to move forward given his size, but he stayed back to marshal the defence.

for at least one of the set pieces (can't remember if it was a corner or free kick) he was forward IIRC

Said a number of positive and interesting things:

- 'My leg was ok. That was something I didn't even think about, so that says a lot and I felt pretty comfortable'

"I thought Patrick Gerhardt had a very good game, Robbie (Weilart) had a good game (versus Newcastle)'. 'You know, because I think they defended really solid and I think that's where it starts. You have to defend solid and not concede goals to win games' 

- That he likes to play further up the field (although he seems content anywhere in midfield)

Given some of the great goals he's scored, it would be good to see Engelaar in some more advanced positions. I'm sure he'd be quality if we played him there. That's why I'd be pleased if we signed Erik Paartalu, who is reportedly being 'shopped around to A-League clubs, so we could play Paartalu as our DM and Engelaar in a more attacking position (maybe a possibility for next season, as Heart's management seem to be sitting on their hands ATM). 

• Like 1

Would be amazing to have Paartalu as our DM and Engelaar as our attacking midfielder.

is this a joke, lol at anyone who thinks he can play AM

Sorry but I don't see why he can't play a more attacking mid role with Paartalu playing more defensively.

Has shown in his time in far better competitions to have attacking traits.

Depends on players we have and the way the coach wants to play.

my favourite formation would be the 4132 formation. In that Paartalu as the defensive mid with Orlando flanked by Dugandzic and say Garrucio or Ramsay on the left with Kewell and Williams up front.

That's just my opinion though. I'm sure some differ.