Melbourne Football

Pre-Season Friendlies

hakz7

Good first half:

fast transition with good movement off the ball, players seemed to know where to pass and where to move

good ball speed

good use of the wings stretching the play and getting behind the Richmond defenders

we had a functioning midfield

we controlled the game

Poor second half:

we look good in transition to attack from midfield forward

we are still troubled moving the ball out from the back line, often a midfielder drops back (good) and picks up the ball but then plays back to the CBs rather than looking forward

we lacked creativity in the final third when Richmond sat deep.

Velaphi was flapping (to be fair it was wet and windy)

Gol Gol looked good, as did Kewell and Mate in the first half. Some nice touches from Retre. 

No Dutchies on the park tonight, I hope that we are more cohesive and creative playing out with them in the team.

• Like 1

Can't believe I sat through the second half in the freezing cold wind and rain. Absolutely dire football. First half was great though. We're totally fucked if Redmayne is injured or suspended this season. Tando is a dead set spastic. Would've copped 4 goals against a proper team.

• Like 1

Can't believe I sat through the second half in the freezing cold wind and rain. Absolutely dire football. First half was great though. We're totally fucked if Redmayne is injured or suspended this season. Tando is a dead set spastic. Would've copped 4 goals against a proper team.

Worse than Roganovic?

• Like 1

Worse than Roganovic?

Yep

Worse than Roganovic?

Similar. To be fair the weather was wet and windy. His ball distribution looks better than it was at Perth and MV

Finished 4-0.

Real good first half. Most of our first choice players started. Tando and Retre were the exceptions (and possibly Mebrahtu up front instead of a new striker).

Williams is going to have to work hard to get game time over Ramsay, who looked pretty good at LW.

Golgol, Kewell and Dugandzic were all lively going forward.

In the first half we played out from the back pretty well. Murdocca was pretty useful in that regard.

I think Richmond subbed on a number of new players at half time, who all did a pretty good job of keeping Heart at bay in the second half. I also think we didn't threaten much in the second half because the conditions were poor, and substitutions broke up the game, with our subs not really adding anything either (first we subbed on Hoffman at RB, then DMac & Williams, then trialists). A final point is a team like Heart doesn't have great motivation to thrash Richmond by more than 4 goals, and state league sides are usually pretty motivated to make life difficult for A-League opponents.

More then our limited chances in the second half (the best being Kewell hitting the crossbar from distance), our ability to play out of defence and ball movement weren't especially inspiring. This could be to some degree excused by the above points, but not completely I don't think. Hopefully it's not a sign of second half fade-outs.

I reckon Wielaert and Engelaar will take our possession up a level or two, and we are unlikely to see the kind of possession we saw in the second half regularly.

Overall, a good and useful pre-season match. Very good to see Kewell play for 70 minutes, good to see Dugandzic looking just about fully fit, and there were numerous good signs in the first half. 

• Like 2