Melbourne Football

Grant Holt

Braveheart

I don't have a problem with it. In fact I like it. It's pretty clear to me that we just didn't lob on to Grant Holt by chance. My guess is that someone associated with MHFC knew that Holt was interested in coming to Australia and is behind all this.

Even if it doesn't come off, it's great to see the club having ambition.

A source of mine tells me that an improved bid of A$3M will be tabled.

I guess we will see how accurate the source is.

Where in this world is this money coming from...

I have no idea. I am not claiming it to be true. I am just relaying what I was told.

It is kind of nice not feeling poor for once. It is not hard to get where alot of this money has come from. Think about it,  the new tv deal is paying for our salary cap now, so the money that the club would normally spend on salaries can now be spent on a transfer fee etc. With that being said it would not be too hard to believe that the FFA may be helping us out.

I don't have a problem with it. In fact I like it. It's pretty clear to me that we just didn't lob on to Grant Holt by chance. My guess is that someone associated with MHFC knew that Holt was interested in coming to Australia and is behind all this.

Even if it doesn't come off, it's great to see the club having ambition.

i know....

last year we went from being 'in talks' with Beckham

this year we're 'bidding' for Holt 

by next season we should be signing some players

:up:  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up:

• Like 2

A $3m transfer fee???? Plus a wage of up to $1m a season? We could fill both marquee spots with top players for that money. We could keep Garcia, offer up to maybe $2m to get Ambrosini, and have money left over for a good striker... The possibilities are incredible.

Look, Holt would be great. I have no problem with Grant Holt. But if you had that much money to spend, do you really think spending it on a transfer for Holt is the best way to use it?

Geez, "A $3m transfer fee???? Plus a wage of up to $1m a season?", we'd have to be fookin crazy to pay that surely. That's like getting ADP for 2 years for Chrisake :droy:

A $3m transfer fee???? Plus a wage of up to $1m a season? We could fill both marquee spots with top players for that money. We could keep Garcia, offer up to maybe $2m to get Ambrosini, and have money left over for a good striker... The possibilities are incredible.

Look, Holt would be great. I have no problem with Grant Holt. But if you had that much money to spend, do you really think spending it on a transfer for Holt is the best way to use it?

Geez, "A $3m transfer fee???? Plus a wage of up to $1m a season?", we'd have to be fookin crazy to pay that surely. That's like getting ADP for 2 years for Chrisake :droy:

No need to type out a quote. You already quoted it.

• Like 1

A source of mine tells me that an improved bid of A$3M will be tabled.

I guess we will see how accurate the source is.

Where in this world is this money coming from... I have no idea. I am not claiming it to be true. I am just relaying what I was told.

Sorry mate wasn't having a go, just wondering. I like this and think a 32 year old Holt would be a great target. Could be a long stay with our club and provide that identity for us.

I would imagine getting his kids into the best schools, a property, some endorsements etc would make up his contract.

What's the plan if we can't get this bloke? Any other good strikers on the market we can afford

Well if the club is budgeting roughly 3 mill for holt... If it doesn't happen I'd like to see us chase Scotty Mac as Aus Marquee, not sure what he'd demand, guessing 750k? And then use the remaining 2 and a bit mil on the best out of contract number 10 we could get. Pablo Aimar?

Anyway just my thoughts and if the club is really whiling to splash out.

• Like 2

I like this....."Holt has now scored on his debut for Sheffield Wednesday, Barrow, Nottingham Forest and Shrewsbury Town." Great news for round 1 against victory. We're already 1-0 up before the match has started!!!!! Fuck you victory

Wish I could give u 2 likes!!! Honestly feel there's a reason we have so many Friday night games. Not just we have Harry but I think there is an A grade marquee coming. Hope his first names Grant

I'd be pretty sure we didn't make an approach to Norwich only to forget that it ever happened a few weeks later.

All I've read says he wants to leave Norwich and would be happy to make the move here. It's the transfer fee the Canaries want that is the sticking point.

I'm sure that JD would be following what's going on and exploring all possible ways of getting him here.

Crystal Palace target £2million Norwich striker Grant Holt as cover for Glenn Murray

22 Jun 2013 23:00

The Canaries have already signed Ricky van Wolfswinkel this summer - and this could leave Holt with increased competition for a starting spot

Crystal Palace are planning to make a move for Norwich striker Grant Holt, writes Dean Jones of the Sunday People.

The Eagles have made initial enquiries about the attacker – but it will cost £2million to take him to Selhurst Park .

The Canaries have splashed out on Ricky van Wolfswinkel and are also keen on PSV’s Swedish ace Ola Toivonen.

Premier League new boys Palace fancy 32-year-old Holt as cover for crocked Glenn Murray.

He picked up a serious knee injury during the play-offs , and faces a long lay-off.

Australian side Melbourne Heart have already had an offer for Holt turned down.

A source close to the player said: “There is going to be a lot of competition to play as the No.9 next season so it probably means Grant will move on.

“There’s been some interest from promoted clubs so that could be his next challenge.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/crystal-palace-transfer-news-norwichs-1982113

Always nice to see Heart's transfer activity reported in print media, rather than having to rely on Twitter or other dubious sources.

I'd be surprised as well if Heart had stopped seriously considering Holt, as he clearly wants to leave.

Also, it wouldn't really make sense for Holt to leave one club due to competition for a starting spot to go to another club, where there is competition for a starting spot. I think that's why Heart has a decent chance of getting Holt, all things being equal.

If Norwich want Toivonen, which they appear to, they'll almost certainly have to offload Holt as well. And it's in Norwich's interest to offload Holt as soon as they can so they can secure Toivonen with minimal competition for Toivonen's signature.

Maybe there still is some hope. For those like myself who don't mind a bet!

https://m.skybet.com/football/transfer-specials/event/15353879

Converted for all those who don't know how to read odds as fractions...

Melbourne Heart - $1.75

Aston Villa - $6

West Ham - $7.50

Celtic - $10

Hull - $10

Cardiff - $14

Sunderland - $16

West Brom - $18

Crystal Palace - $20

Southampton - $20

Swansea - $25

Newcastle - $28

Tottenham - $33

Surprised to see us as such strong favorites, but strange to see Carlisle isn't in the betting though...

Are the reason we're favourites is because we're the only club who has actually made an offer?

The way I've read it is that he's keen to come. Let's face it, he'd be an automatic first-choice at no. 9, the star of the show, and living pretty comfortably. He could give us 2-3 years and still finish his career at Carlisle.

Maybe we could get him on a loan (or partial loan) basis if not a full transfer...there are plenty of ways of skinning the cat.