Melbourne Football

A-League Fixture 2013/14

HeartinHobart

Are there any grounds with seating in Albury, or is it all standing?

Lavington Sports Ground (an AFL oval) has a capacity of 15,000 with around 1500 seated so that might be a viable option but otherwise nothing really springs to mind.

Lavington Sports Ground (an AFL oval) has a capacity of 15,000 with around 1500 seated so that might be a viable option but otherwise nothing really springs to mind.

What about John Howard Reserve?

What about John Howard Reserve?

Whereabouts is that? :P

I just do not comprehend.

Fan wise Geelong and Ballarat would have yielded fans that would come down and support the club once work went into those towns. Every week. Attendance and membership.

Ballarat is a great football town with huge finances put into new facilities for the Ballarat Red Devils in the budget. I visited these facilities and it's top notch. Will be a fantastic community hub.

Knowing this and Geelongs love of the game, two massive regional markets we could have capatilised on. To bring fans to AAMI Park. Every week. Have a special regional membership for these guys. Maybe team up with our sponsor Public Transport Victoria and give them free train trip on match days for members? Think for crying out loud.

I will get accused of being negative, whatever. Our club make bonehead decisions most of the time. A lot of membership ideas told to them that have never been utilised. This just another one.

Like their borderline useless community initiatives, this Albury one is another. Work smarter. Could of put all our resources into Geelong and Ballarat. Would have been more beneficial than anything the club are doing now.

So coming to Albury is a "useless community initiative"?

As I said before, there is a massive football following here but many have not been exposed to the A-League before so explain to me how trying to capture that market isn't a smart idea? I think people are suggesting that it is a fair way to travel for people in Albury/Wodonga to make it to a Heart game live, where as it is 1 hour roughly from Geelong and Ballarat,

This is in terms of building a supporter base.

To those supporters that are worried and don't like the idea of travelling the 3-4 hours, harden up. You've got it easy.

I have to get on a plane every time I want to see the red and white and made it to 5 matches last season. Which was fair to say didn't make my bank manager or wife too happy.

People are saying that the regional games should be in places where it will build support to regular home games, people dont care about travel for one game, it is just if we are playing regional fixtures in places where we can build are regular attendance and membership ect

Also well done on your dedication in supporting the Heart cause, 5 games form interstate is HUGE props to you friend

Fan wise Geelong and Ballarat would have yielded fans that would come down and support the club once work went into those towns. Every week. Attendance and membership.

Ballarat is a great football town with huge finances put into new facilities for the Ballarat Red Devils in the budget. I visited these facilities and it's top notch. Will be a fantastic community hub.

Knowing this and Geelongs love of the game, two massive regional markets we could have capatilised on. To bring fans to AAMI Park. Every week. Have a special regional membership for these guys. Maybe team up with our sponsor Public Transport Victoria and give them free train trip on match days for members? Think for crying out loud.

I will get accused of being negative, whatever. Our club make bonehead decisions most of the time. A lot of membership ideas told to them that have never been utilised. This just another one.

Like their borderline useless community initiatives, this Albury one is another. Work smarter. Could of put all our resources into Geelong and Ballarat. Would have been more beneficial than anything the club are doing now.

As I said before, there is a massive football following here but many have not been exposed to the A-League before so explain to me how trying to capture that market isn't a smart idea? 

I think people are suggesting that it is a fair way to travel for people in Albury/Wodonga to make it to a Heart game live, where as it is 1 hour roughly from Geelong and Ballarat,

I realise that but that's kind of what I'm trying to say, if I lived in Geelong or Ballarat then I'd be able to go to every Melbourne Heart home game and I would think any passionate football fans from Geelong and Ballarat would too. But as I'm in Albury/Wodonga, I can't do that every week so by playing a game out here Heart is engaging a lot of football fans of which many don't yet follow an A-League club and this regional game might entice them to do so.

Obviously the same could apply to Geelong and Ballarat but I just think reaching out to a largely ignored area where football is strong is a good move from Heart. 

You'd be surprised how many people do travel to Melbourne from Albury/Wodonga if they're given a reason to, it's not like we have a lot to do here :P

ok good points made, i can see where it would be good for both cities and even so the one which may be further away

As I said before, there is a massive football following here but many have not been exposed to the A-League before so explain to me how trying to capture that market isn't a smart idea? 

I think people are suggesting that it is a fair way to travel for people in Albury/Wodonga to make it to a Heart game live, where as it is 1 hour roughly from Geelong and Ballarat,

I realise that but that's kind of what I'm trying to say, if I lived in Geelong or Ballarat then I'd be able to go to every Melbourne Heart home game and I would think any passionate football fans from Geelong and Ballarat would too. But as I'm in Albury/Wodonga, I can't do that every week so by playing a game out here Heart is engaging a lot of football fans of which many don't yet follow an A-League club and this regional game might entice them to do so.

Obviously the same could apply to Geelong and Ballarat but I just think reaching out to a largely ignored area where football is strong is a good move from Heart. 

You'd be surprised how many people do travel to Melbourne from Albury/Wodonga if they're given a reason to, it's not like we have a lot to do here :P

ok good points made, i can see where it would be good for both cities and even so the one which may be further away

I'm not trying to bitch and moan about how great Albury/Wodonga is because I'll be honest, as a place to live it kind of sucks :D

There are advantages for Heart playing anywhere in regional cities I guess, the more people we get on board the better :)

Let's break this down:

This year Labour Day was on Monday 11th of March and the Grand Prix was on Sunday 17th of March, i.e. one week later.

Next year Labour Day is on Monday 10th of March so the Grand Prix will most likely be on Sunday 16th of March.

In 2010 Australia had the second race and that was on the last weekend of March 28/03/10 (19 races)

In 2011 Australia had the first race and that too was on the last weekend of March 27/03/11 (19 races)

In 2012 Australia had the first race and that was on Sunday 18/03/12 (20 races)

In 2013 Australia had the first race and that was on Sunday 17/03/13 (19 races)

Unless we go back to being the second race it'll be Sunday 16/03/14 (?? races)

The home game we're playing on the 16th of March is at 5pm and guess what, the Grand Prix starts at 5pm as well!
If the Grand Prix's a week later on the 23rd we have a game at 3pm so at least it's not on at exactly the same time! 
Let's hope next year they move it to the last weekend of March again (30/03/14), but I think that'd be too late for them...so basically, we're screwed!

Sheesh - how did no one think about this?

Let's break this down:

This year Labour Day was on Monday 11th of March and the Grand Prix was on Sunday 17th of March, i.e. one week later.

Next year Labour Day is on Monday 10th of March so the Grand Prix will most likely be on Sunday 16th of March.

In 2010 Australia had the second race and that was on the last weekend of March 28/03/10 (19 races)

In 2011 Australia had the first race and that too was on the last weekend of March 27/03/11 (19 races)

In 2012 Australia had the first race and that was on Sunday 18/03/12 (20 races)

In 2013 Australia had the first race and that was on Sunday 17/03/13 (19 races)

Unless we go back to being the second race it'll be Sunday 16/03/14 (?? races)

The home game we're playing on the 16th of March is at 5pm and guess what, the Grand Prix starts at 5pm as well!
If the Grand Prix's a week later on the 23rd we have a game at 3pm so at least it's not on at exactly the same time! 
Let's hope next year they move it to the last weekend of March again (30/03/14), but I think that'd be too late for them...so basically, we're screwed!

Sheesh - how did no one think about this?

No bother. The culture is changing. A full house for the Heart and a few ducks to watch the cars.

Does seem rather silly that it's competing with the actual race. I don't think it's a bad thing if we have a home match the same weekend. That's if it's in the right time slot. If we had a Friday or Saturday night match and we marketed properly their would be a good opportunity for a large exposure. My mates and I came over for the WSW game last season and went to the F1's on the Sunday. Great weekend. Can't see anything being changed though.

Not a fan of F1 myself, but seeing we’re involved in the only A-League match that Sunday, I doubt the FFA and probably Foxtel will want to move the fixture to Saturday where AAMI Park would still be available.  The FFA will probably say continuous coverage over the weekend is what the sport needs.

What can be done perhaps is move kick-off to a more friendly time, from 5pm to 2pm or maybe even 1pm, not a huge fan of the Sunday 5pm kick-off – I dub this the graveyard shift.

This more-friendly kick-off time would be more enticing for fans than the late afternoon kick-off.  Also it could allow F1 patrons (some of whom may be interstate or even international) to come to the game if they wish to do so then leave for the race which begins around 5pm.  If positioned properly, there’s no reason why Heart can’t leverage off this, those with tickets to race day or even the race trials from previous days are eligible for discount entry to the match.  It could be a way to increase crowd attendances against the Phoenix, a fixture that typically isn’t high-drawing.

This way everyone wins.  Heart may potentially get an increase in crowd attendance, FFA get their match on Sunday, and Foxtel won’t have to compete with sports lovers for live coverage of football and the F1.  Just an idea though.

• 2 weeks later...

Last season our first home game against the Phoenix was on Sunday at 3pm followed by the VPL Grand Final at 5:30pm.

This season our first home game in Round 2 against Central Coast is on Saturday at 5:30pm. The VPL Grand Final will fall on the same weekend, but I'm not sure if it'll be played on Saturday or Sunday again.

If they move the VPL GF to the Saturday it can be played before or after our home game so either 3pm or 7:45pm. We could easily see 15,000 spectators at AAMI Park! Add a decent Heart marquee and I imagine we'd need to open up the top tier of the stadium  :D

Does anyone know if the VPL Grand Final is only ever played on a Sunday?

• 2 weeks later...

as a quick question, at what stage of the season / how many weeks out from a particular away game do people start planning for away trips.

to give some perspective, I am pretty set on going to the two Sydney games in December (on the 7th we play WSW away and then Sydney FC away on the 15th) over the space of two rounds.  part of it is that i've never been to Sydney before and so I can check off that trip along with going to a couple of away games.

as such, I am wondering if anyone else is looking at going / if it would be a good idea to start planning shit on the forum ?

EDIT:

Although do I take that's what the Match Day Planning is for?

Edited by mattyh001

as a quick question, at what stage of the season / how many weeks out from a particular away game do people start planning for away trips.

to give some perspective, I am pretty set on going to the two Sydney games in December (on the 7th we play WSW away and then Sydney FC away on the 15th) over the space of two rounds.  part of it is that i've never been to Sydney before and so I can check off that trip along with going to a couple of away games.

as such, I am wondering if anyone else is looking at going / if it would be a good idea to start planning shit on the forum ?

EDIT:

Although do I take that's what the Match Day Planning is for?

Yeah, check out the away days section for any info etc. http://mhfcsupporters.com/forum/43-away-days/

To get the best price on flights/accomo I would suggest you keep an eye on prices from around now and look for sales etc. probably best to try to book at least a month in advance as flight prices tend to go up closer to the date and accomo sells out etc. 

Also, we should have a good turnout for the SFC match and the should be a few at WS (but not as many) . Don't think many have booked yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone heard anymore about our regional match Sunday Feb 9? Il be in Melbourne that weekend and obviously want to go. Though if it is Albury it's a kind day on public transport. Geelong or Ballarat would be perfect.

its in albury. Club was in 'advanced' discussions with the FFA and there was never any other locations mentioned. 

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
SCHEDULE UPDATE: Round 23
Monday, 5 August 2013 10:45 AM

email.png

00072078-leadimage.png

Melbourne Heart FC acknowledges the Club’s Round 23 fixture against Wellington Phoenix poses a scheduling clash with the 2014 Grand Prix in Melbourne.

The match, which will be played at AAMI Park on Sunday 16 March 2014 during the 2013-14 A-League season, is currently scheduled to kick off at 5pm.

Melbourne Heart has approached Football Federation Australia to request a date change for this Round 23 fixture.

However, at this stage, that request is unlikely to be granted and the Club understands the complexity of altering the fixture.

This is further complicated given that only one match is scheduled on Sunday 16 March.

The Club is hopeful that a request for an earlier kick-off time may be granted to avoid a direct clash.

I came over and watch the wanderers game last season and went to the gp on the Sunday. The worst $100 I've spent in my life the noise was ridiculous and you could see fuck all. No idea how it attracts 100K people. Would rather watch paint dry.

Esp considering how much more fun you could have with $100 at the Horse Races...