Melbourne Football

A-League Fixture 2013/14

HeartinHobart

The Albury game looks like it's ours, against Perth Glory 9th February.

Western Sydney's TBC game is an 'away' game against Perth.

Sydney do not appear to have a TBC game at all, with 14 home matches at Allianz Stadium. That may be a mistake by FFA.

The Albury game looks like it's ours, against Perth Glory 9th February.

Western Sydney's TBC game is an 'away' game against Perth.

Sydney do not appear to have a TBC game at all, with 14 home matches at Allianz Stadium. That may be a mistake by FFA.

Looking at the fixture, I'm going to guess that the confirmed regional games are Heart vs Glory at Albury, Brisbane vs Newcastle at Townsville and Central Coast vs Wellington at North Sydney with the other TBC's obviously yet to be confirmed.

From http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Heart-happy-with-fixture-announcement/67740

Scott Munn said: “We also have the possibility of staging a regional match next February and are currently in advanced discussions with the FFA. We will hopefully make some announcements in the next couple of weeks on that.”

So, possibly not finalised after all!

From a marketing point of view, wouldn't it be better to play the game in a regional centre where there is the possibility of attracting future members who can attend games regularly?? This would help the bottom line and also allow the Melbourne based member to attend the game as well. I don't see the value of Albury - small population base and a three hour trip minimum to Melbourne if you join. I cant see this attracting future members. Surely Geelong, Ballarat, Morwell or even Shepparton would make more sense financially for the club. Football is also strong in Geelong, Morwell and Shep, but I'll plead ignorance on Albury.

• Like 2

Geelong or Ballarat should have been organised.

Albury? Just no.

Agreed. IMO these 'regional games' should be played in places where there is some chance of establishing an expansion team in the future. Albury is essentially pointless.

What are the stated aims of the regional game idea?

I guess thier rational is - by bringing the sport to areas with good participation at amateur levels, to areas that are deprived of the professional game, they can potentially convert new players and drum up some interest for the game, whilst reach out to future stars, such as Josh Kennedy (Wadonga), that Football/Soccer is a realistic option.

After all, the FFA's master plan is to have as many Aussies playing aboard in the best leagues around the world, and a thriving national team due to the lack of stars produced since the collaps of the NSL.

Put yourself in the shoes of a kid from an area like this...

Edited by LR9

I guess thier rational is - by bringing the sport to areas with good participation at amateur levels, to areas that are deprived of the professional game, they can potentially convert new players and drum up some interest for the game, whilst reach out to future stars, such as Josh Kennedy (Wadonga), that Football/Soccer is a realistic option.

After all, the FFA's master plan is to have as many Aussies playing aboard in the best leagues around the world, and a thriving national team due to the lack of stars produced since the collaps of the NSL.

No argument with this, but this is what practice games or friendlies are for. Examples being EPL clubs taking their preseason roadshows overseas, or AFL clubs taking preseason games to smaller regional centres. Even Heart does this preseason. These all engage distant fans.

But to take a serious match worth three points with TV considerations and sponsors exposure to a smaller regional centre with a small crowd is just nuts. It will disenfranchise local fans and members, limits membership drives and limits sponsors exposure. I'm sure someone will mention Victory taking games to Tassie, but this will be a well financed/sponsored situation with the Tassie government tipping in a significant amount of cash and thus reaping big financial rewards. I doubt Albury would provide this.

Put the game in front of as many people as possible for the benefit of the club. We should be smarter.

No argument with this, but this is what practice games or friendlies are for. Examples being EPL clubs taking their preseason roadshows overseas, or AFL clubs taking preseason games to smaller regional centres. Even Heart does this preseason. These all engage distant fans.

But to take a serious match worth three points with TV considerations and sponsors exposure to a smaller regional centre with a small crowd is just nuts. It will disenfranchise local fans and members, limits membership drives and limits sponsors exposure. I'm sure someone will mention Victory taking games to Tassie, but this will be a well financed/sponsored situation with the Tassie government tipping in a significant amount of cash and thus reaping big financial rewards. I doubt Albury would provide this.

Put the game in front of as many people as possible for the benefit of the club. We should be smarter.

It is a pre-season freindly.

http://www.alburycity.nsw.gov.au/www/html/196-event-details.asp?intEventID=1861

Besides, Id have no qualms in having a regional game as part of the fixture. Its one game and I very much doubt it would disenfranchise

fans for one game. Besides, it would make a good away trip. 

Albury has a rather high standard league and has produced the likes of Josh Kennedy, the wife beater and of course Zac Walker.  all came from my junior club aswell :P

253215_554998044546774_134871120_n.jpg

Reckon our regional game will be Albury then. Which is a bit shit.

I live 5 minutes away from Albury so it works out for me :) 

Not exactly sure where they'd play it though, Albury doesn't really have any state of the art stadiums...

FFS it takes even longer to get Albury by train from Melbourne than it does to get to Aberdeen from Glasgow. (4 hours insetead of 3 hours)

You're telling me! Haha, plus the Melbourne to Albury line is more often than not delayed by up to an hour or more.

Should get a solid crowd though and hopefully more members, I know a lot of people in the area who are big football fans but don't go to A-League games so hopefully this will help to convince them :)

yeah they kept fucking up the track works. I hear trains have had to slow down again. 

Id say they would play at Latrobe Uni in Wodonga, they have purpose built facilities there for football. Its where they host the grandfinals

I just do not comprehend.

Fan wise Geelong and Ballarat would have yielded fans that would come down and support the club once work went into those towns. Every week. Attendance and membership.

Ballarat is a great football town with huge finances put into new facilities for the Ballarat Red Devils in the budget. I visited these facilities and it's top notch. Will be a fantastic community hub.

Knowing this and Geelongs love of the game, two massive regional markets we could have capatilised on. To bring fans to AAMI Park. Every week. Have a special regional membership for these guys. Maybe team up with our sponsor Public Transport Victoria and give them free train trip on match days for members? Think for crying out loud.

I will get accused of being negative, whatever. Our club make bonehead decisions most of the time. A lot of membership ideas told to them that have never been utilised. This just another one.

Like their borderline useless community initiatives, this Albury one is another. Work smarter. Could of put all our resources into Geelong and Ballarat. Would have been more beneficial than anything the club are doing now.

You are like the Tony Abbott of the MHFC Administration,

Except Abbott gets paid a nice Salary to be Opposition Leader, was a Rhodes Scholar and has produced some alright looking daughters.

• Like 3

Fan wise Geelong and Ballarat would have yielded fans that would come down and support the club once work went into those towns. Every week. Attendance and membership.

Ballarat is a great football town with huge finances put into new facilities for the Ballarat Red Devils in the budget. I visited these facilities and it's top notch. Will be a fantastic community hub.

Knowing this and Geelongs love of the game, two massive regional markets we could have capatilised on. To bring fans to AAMI Park. Every week. Have a special regional membership for these guys. Maybe team up with our sponsor Public Transport Victoria and give them free train trip on match days for members? Think for crying out loud.

I will get accused of being negative, whatever. Our club make bonehead decisions most of the time. A lot of membership ideas told to them that have never been utilised. This just another one.

Like their borderline useless community initiatives, this Albury one is another. Work smarter. Could of put all our resources into Geelong and Ballarat. Would have been more beneficial than anything the club are doing now.

Is the regional game location determined by the club or the FFA? I'd have imagined that it was an FFA decision to promote the game and the competition to regional areas not necessarily the club

Is the regional game location determined by the club or the FFA? I'd have imagined that it was an FFA decision to promote the game and the competition to regional areas not necessarily the club

Knew this would be argued and like the fixture the FFA are in the business of looking after our struggling club.

Presenting a plan to them about obtaining areas of Ballarat and Geelong would of seen some heavy work go into it. Just like Victory have presented for Tasmania how comical that may be.

You are like the Tony Abbott of the MHFC Administration,

Except Abbott gets paid a nice Salary to be Opposition Leader, was a Rhodes Scholar and has produced some alright looking daughters.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Why could you just not leave it at this:

We have been handed a miracle with that fixture.

Up to the people at the club now to capatilise and get more Sponsors and members on board. The league has helped us out.

And we have not been simply handed this fixture, both Sidwell and inparticular Munn would have fought tooth and nail for months to get us this draw.

This being the same Scott Munn who took a Paycut to stay at the club and passed up on an AFL CEO role.

• Like 4

Cadete, you're on fire today.

Melburnian, it has been well recognised that the club has been fighting for a better fixture this season. I guess things do get done at MH HQ...who would've thought.

That being said, now we need to see the football dept kick in and sign some quality.

I can tell you why we're not playing Geelong - it's because I believe that the FFA will eventually look at Geelong as a possible location for a third Victorian club. I guess they figure, if Heart play there and start recruiting fans to become Heart members then that's eating into potential members for the new Geelong side (whenever that may be planned for).

Ballarat however is a different story! I don't see why we can't play at Eureka Stadium. It is an oval, but I'm sure for a one-off game it'll suffice, otherwise we could play at Ballarat Red Devil's home ground!?

Bendigo have Queen Elizabeth Stadium, which according to Austadiums.com is long and quite rectangular which may be suitable for an A-League game.

I guess it all depends on whether the plan for the expansion team will be something like "Geelong Gunners", i.e. a club specific for Geelong, "Greater Geelong" or a "Western Victoria" club, which would cover Geelong, Ballarat and out Woornambool.

Even if the FFA want a "Western Victoria" club, I don't think Bendigo is in their reach, which means Heart should be targeting Bendigo and playing our regional match there.

Just thinking aloud here...

Melburnian, it has been well recognised that the club has been fighting for a better fixture this season. I guess things do get done at MH HQ...who would've thought.

That being said, now we need to see the football dept kick in and sign some quality.

Indeed. We now have the exposure on FTA, up to the football dept to deliver the goods on the pitch. I'm expecting that FFA will help HeartFC fund a marquee player to maximise the potential benefits of FTA. Can't fookin wait for an announcement of new players.

So coming to Albury is a "useless community initiative"? 

As I said before, there is a massive football following here but many have not been exposed to the A-League before so explain to me how trying to capture that market isn't a smart idea? 

253215_554998044546774_134871120_n.jpg

Reckon our regional game will be Albury then. Which is a bit shit.

I live 5 minutes away from Albury so it works out for me :) 

Not exactly sure where they'd play it though, Albury doesn't really have any state of the art stadiums...

FFS it takes even longer to get Albury by train from Melbourne than it does to get to Aberdeen from Glasgow. (4 hours insetead of 3 hours)

You're telling me! Haha, plus the Melbourne to Albury line is more often than not delayed by up to an hour or more.

Should get a solid crowd though and hopefully more members, I know a lot of people in the area who are big football fans but don't go to A-League games so hopefully this will help to convince them :)

yeah they kept fucking up the track works. I hear trains have had to slow down again. 

Id say they would play at Latrobe Uni in Wodonga, they have purpose built facilities there for football. Its where they host the grandfinals

Yeah, that was where they played the pre-season game a couple of years back when Heart won 3-0 :P 

That's Wodonga though, if it's in Albury then I can only really see Jelbart Park.

Ando, reading this article on Theage Online, it looks like SM has been on the direct link with you again.

I was most happy with Scotts comment. "It's important to us to improve on the field since that will drive membership and corporate support. We took a step backwards this season, and that impacted on all areas.''

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/heart-victory-divided-on-draw-20130522-2k140.html#ixzz2U4jAumi6

Edited by Peter

As I said before, there is a massive football following here but many have not been exposed to the A-League before so explain to me how trying to capture that market isn't a smart idea? 

I think people are suggesting that it is a fair way to travel for people in Albury/Wodonga to make it to a Heart game live, where as it is 1 hour roughly from Geelong and Ballarat,

This is in terms of building a supporter base.

I can tell you why we're not playing Geelong - it's because I believe that the FFA will eventually look at Geelong as a possible location for a third Victorian club. I guess they figure, if Heart play there and start recruiting fans to become Heart members then that's eating into potential members for the new Geelong side (whenever that may be planned for).

Ballarat however is a different story! I don't see why we can't play at Eureka Stadium. It is an oval, but I'm sure for a one-off game it'll suffice, otherwise we could play at Ballarat Red Devil's home ground!?

Bendigo have Queen Elizabeth Stadium, which according to Austadiums.com is long and quite rectangular which may be suitable for an A-League game.

I guess it all depends on whether the plan for the expansion team will be something like "Geelong Gunners", i.e. a club specific for Geelong, "Greater Geelong" or a "Western Victoria" club, which would cover Geelong, Ballarat and out Woornambool.

Even if the FFA want a "Western Victoria" club, I don't think Bendigo is in their reach, which means Heart should be targeting Bendigo and playing our regional match there.

Just thinking aloud here...

I think you may be right, but to think people dont already have a team in Geelong is silly. The league has been round for the better part of a decade, i have a team, my mate at work follows heart, i have seen people come into work who follow Both teams, the same in Ballarat as i am from there. Forum members are also from Warnambool ect.

I think Geelong should have been set up (if at all) during the inaugural year , like Heart should have, they did it in Newcastle and CM but ignored Victoria blindly, it would take a generation to turn fans imo, as the ones who really want to follow the sport are. 

• Like 1

I think people are suggesting that it is a fair way to travel for people in Albury/Wodonga to make it to a Heart game live, where as it is 1 hour roughly from Geelong and Ballarat,

To those supporters that are worried and don't like the idea of travelling the 3-4 hours, harden up. You've got it easy.

I have to get on a plane every time I want to see the red and white and made it to 5 matches last season. Which was fair to say didn't make my bank manager or wife too happy.

• Like 2

I am in favour of Geelong for a regional match to build support in the city closest to Melbourne.

Albury doesn't strike me as having the same benefits, although any excuse to go fishing in the north east of the state will be gladly accepted.

I realise that but that's kind of what I'm trying to say, if I lived in Geelong or Ballarat then I'd be able to go to every Melbourne Heart home game and I would think any passionate football fans from Geelong and Ballarat would too. But as I'm in Albury/Wodonga, I can't do that every week so by playing a game out here Heart is engaging a lot of football fans of which many don't yet follow an A-League club and this regional game might entice them to do so.

Obviously the same could apply to Geelong and Ballarat but I just think reaching out to a largely ignored area where football is strong is a good move from Heart. 

You'd be surprised how many people do travel to Melbourne from Albury/Wodonga if they're given a reason to, it's not like we have a lot to do here :P

• Like 1