Melbourne Football

Do we still want David Williams??

kingofhearts

With the recent signing of Ian Ramsay, is Williams still a required player at heart?

It's quite clear that his 1 good season at NQ fury was a fluke, he has never been able to re-capture that form at his time at heart.

Even from his first press conference, he had his mind set on going to Europe, and he has completely forgotten that he has to play well with us first to earn a contract overseas.

Would we be better off just letting him go??

williams is still a required player. don't think this is even an issue tbh, surely you would be more worried about having hoffman and macallister on our roster??

Yes but i think we could do better. Guy has been half the player here compared to NQ fury form. Was inconsistent all year and people are defending him??

yeah he was inconsitent, but he had some games where he played well and scored some good goals in important matches. 5 goals a season for a winger is what we should be expecting and he achieved that, and was probably unfortunate not to have more.

There's no guarantee he'll be starting every game this season so relax. It just gives good competition for spots, and he's a very handy option to have. Williams, Dugandzic, Mebrahtu, Ramsay and Garrucio are very good options and provides good depth on the wings for us. I don't think we could get much better than that, and i don't think any other a-league team has those sort of options for the wings in their squads. We should now be concentrating on improving our depth and quality in other areas such as midfield and defence.

• Like 1

I like Willo in our team. The bloke has limitations and will not be heading to the EPL but he can move across the field and provide a headache for defenders to track. Can be erratic with crosses and poor first touches but his enthusiasm and endeavour can unlock defences. I think he's a bit of a crowd favourite like Gogol. Keep FFS.

We have too many wingers.

Perhaps. Both Gol Gol and Williams can play as strikers and Mate can drop in behind the forwards if needed.

It sounds as if Ramsay is going to be tried as a left back which means that our forward options are, with perhaps the addition of another out and out striker, taken care of.

It looks like most of our signings from now on will be defenders and midfielders. It's time to get excited by defense.

I'm a simple man. When I want an electrician, I don't go out and hire a plumber. When we're signing players of Ramsay's age IMO it's inadvisable to try to change their natural instincts - in his case, to play as an attacker. Why not sign players, if we can, who are ready to play in the position we need filled? If we needed a wing-back (which we did) go out and find one.

Sometimes I think it's the Heart management that is the problem, not the players.

Returning to the subject of the thread, Willo made it quite clear when he signed that he wanted to play as a central striker. He doesn't see himself as a winger, which probably explains a lot about his time with Heart so far.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

The issue with Willo on our books atm is that he was our third highest paid player.

That is the issue, he isnt worth 175K or whatever he is rumoured to be on

Exactly. I just think honestly think we could sign a better player for that amount of money.

Even looking in other threads, with people predicting our starting 11 for next season, he seems to be on the bench for most people, it seems we are just wasting 175k on nothing.

Do we still want David Williams??

Haven't you been reading the forum? Of course we don't want him! Get rid of every player, every coach, the board, the physio, the office staff, the name, the emblem, the colours, latrobe uni... EVERYTHING!!!

This club needs 'ambition' instead!

Edited by kontra.11
  • Like 2

I think what you really should be asking is 'Does David Williams still want kingofhearts?'

I'm not sure we can answer that in our lifetime, however...

He lost me as soon as he started growing his hair back Ando

David+Williams+2011+12+League+Headshots+

Short men with hair just get me excited  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

yeah he was inconsitent, but he had some games where he played well and scored some good goals in important matches. 5 goals a season for a winger is what we should be expecting and he achieved that, and was probably unfortunate not to have more.

There's no guarantee he'll be starting every game this season so relax. It just gives good competition for spots, and he's a very handy option to have. Williams, Dugandzic, Mebrahtu, Ramsay and Garrucio are very good options and provides good depth on the wings for us. I don't think we could get much better than that, and i don't think any other a-league team has those sort of options for the wings in their squads. We should now be concentrating on improving our depth and quality in other areas such as midfield and defence.

I think its because we lack of anything else but good wingers that we haven't seen the best of David Williams.

We need quality mid fielders who can put the likes of Williams through to run on to pass or diagonal long ball that doesn't sail over the coaches heads.

It looks like Ramsay will be played as a LB. LB is quite possibly the hardest position to fill, as there are few left sided (and left-footed) fullbacks. Ramsay is one of the most lively left sided players in the A-League, and he is a left footer. And whilst I agree a club generally shouldn't try to play players out of the position they have played in the most, I'm fine with us playing Ramsay as a LB. It worked very well with Behich, and I think Ramsay could make the position his own as well.

I think we have just the right amount of wingers. We have Williams and Garrucio who can play as LW, and Dugandzic and Mebrahtu who can play as RW.

I agree that the main areas we need to improve in are midfield and the centre of defence. Our forwards must have had some of the poorest service in the league this season, I think that has been much more damaging that the ability of our forwards. Look at Western Sydney, they have probably the worst forwards in the league (the likes of Kresinger, Haliti and Bridge), and because they have had a defence that has kept so many cleansheets and a midfield that has functioned pretty well they have won a lot of games and have reached the finals. So I think we just need a few more midfielders and defenders.

• Like 1

I think what you really should be asking is 'Does David Williams still want kingofhearts?'

He played better, the longer his hair got.

• Like 2

Yeah I think we need him, but you must remember to get the best out of a player, he needs to know what he is good at and what not... A player also needs to be involved in a pressured environment so he can excel and push himself to his own limits... I think Wilo gets intimidated by experience players and he needs to overcome expectations we all have of him.

Lets be honest the club hasn't really aspired to achieve anything in the first 3 seasons... At NQF it was all about survival and that brought the best out of him.

If the club aspired to win the A-league (and I mean really aspire) who knows what Wilo and others a capable of.

• Like 1

He played better, the longer his hair got.

We should call him 'Sampson' Williams

• 1 month later...

I'm just sitting in the waiting room while our Hyundai is getting serviced admiring a framed Heart shirt signed by David Williams. It seems my car dealership, Makin & Luby sponsors him. Much better than the last time I was here and had to look at a blue shirt. I like Williams and hope he continues to develop as a player.

Edited by RFC56
  • Like 1

I like him, can be a good player in a good team. Icing on the cake type. He works hard and provides much needed pace and energy. Will have to fight for his place. Which is a good thing.

Also, my mates who had no idea about the game, took a massive liking to him. He is a marketable type. He became their favourite player. Our club should market the fuck out of him, Kewell, Kalmar and Mate I reckon this season. All have that appeal to grab attention. Player interviews, full page marketing spreads in the papers.

Edited by Melburnian
  • Like 2

Needs to add consistency to his game if he's going to lock down a spot in the first XI. Would like to see him given some minutes as a striker during pre season[/quote ]

Exactly. He is not a winger. Needs to be given time to flourish in his preferred position

• Like 1

Make or break for Willo this season methinks. As for one or two more players as well. Everyone in the squad must understand that MHFC needs to finish top four for the club to grow for the future.

I'd add Walker and Redders to the 'marketability' list. We do need someone to be the 'face' of the club, and we haven't really had that since Alex Terra.

I'd say we haven't had it at all. Terra was probably the closest, but we've never had a standout face of the club. When people think Brisbane, they think Berisha or Broich. When people think the Visitors, they think Thompson or Muscat. Williams, if he finds consistency, has the potential to be that face.

A little bit off topic, but I think Kalmar is our man. Been at the club since its inception, one of few local Melbourne lads in our side and has shown flashes of brilliance in his time at the club. He is also the only player I have ever seen pull on our shirt that genuinely tore a game apart. If we can actually sign a proper defensive midfielder that can control the middle of the park for once, Kalmar will have the ball more often and in more advanced positions than last season.

He can be the marketable player we've lacked.

• Like 2