Melbourne Football

Potential A-league signings

heart_fan10

If (and/or when) Garcia goes, big question of captaincy.

Paddy Go-Hard cant be a worse candidate than our past two captains.

Excuse the ignorance but does he even speak English?

Lol,

Yeah, He speaks much better English than Fred did because he was raised under the Swiss Education System which is near the best in the world.

He is also very vocal out on the Pitch, and personally I like my Captain's to be Centre Halves.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 3

I like my Captain's to be Centre Halves.

agreed. 

The interesting thing about this article is that there was no mention of Jason Hoffman. Maybe he declined the minimum wages offer?

would have to be stupid to wouldnt he?

I like my Captain's to be Centre Halves.

agreed. 

>The interesting thing about this article is that there was no mention of Jason Hoffman. Maybe he declined the minimum wages offer?

would have to be stupid to wouldnt he?

TBH not really,

Maybe the Hoff has realised that he is a genuine Frontrunner and that he will never make it in the A League.

He probably could make more money at a Top State League Club as a Striker being paid a good semi-professional wage that comes with a Day Job included... Best of all he would only have to train twice (Maybe only Once) a week.

I guess if you have the opportunity to play in your home town for the same (or more) money, why wouldn't you take it. Can't blame him.

Plus Perth seem to be on the way up. With us, who knows how we're going to be next season.

I'll just be really sad when it happens :(

Shit, I forgot his from Perth.

His gone - West Australians/Perth PPL are addicted to that place (God knows why) so TBH I reckon his gone.

Fuck if he picks Perth over us you know where in the shit. Talking to him after games last season he seemed pretty happy here so unless Perth throw the book at him I would be surprised if he left

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/mark-milligan-loving-life-in-melbourne-victory-midfield/story-fndcvh7n-1226631854684

the last section of this article:

Meanwhile, Melbourne Heart's best-and-fairest winner, Richard Garcia, is continuing talks with the club about his future.

Perth Glory has come in for the uncontracted 31-year-old winger.

Heart is interested in uncontracted Brisbane Roar midfielder Massimo Murdocca. The 28-year-old former South Melbourne player fell out of favour when Mike Mulvey took over as Roar coach.

"Best-and-fairest"? Didn't think we had that as an award.

Nothing in this article that we didn't know already. Garcia still talking to us, and Murdocca on our radar.

Besides a proven striker that's played in Europe, I hope we sign a quality young Australian striker. Some possibilities are:

- Corey Gameiro. Age 20. Just finished his loan spell with Wellington Phoenix, and it's very possible that the club that he's signed to, Fulham, will loan him out again. He's been loaned out 3 times in total, and I reckon Fulham will want him to go through another loan where he plays a good amount of games and regularly gets on the scoresheet. Sydney FC are apparently trying to secure him for a loan, though. He looked very impressive at Wellington, and I reckon he could have a solid season at Heart.

- Brent McGrath. Age 21. Has been at Denmark's biggest and most, or second most, successful club Brondby IF since 2010. He's made over 30 appearances for his club, but the vast majority of those appearances seem to be late substitutions. So, unsurprisingly, he hasn't found the back of the net much. His contract will be finished by June 30. He's featured in many Australian youth national teams and has even played one game for the Socceroos under Osieck. Ange Postecoglou thought highly enough of McGrath to have him feature in the Australian u/17 team as the youngest player in his squad. IMO, I reckon he would be a quality 2nd choice striker (like I said at the start, I think a proven striker who's played in Europe should be our first choice striker, then one of these Aussie strikers could be our backup striker).

- Jarrod Kyle. Age 19. Spent a fair bit of time at Sheffield Wednesday's youth academy, and even won their player-of-the-year award last season. He joined Sydney around the start of this year, but wasn't really given a go by Sydney FC's coach Frank Farina. He asked Sheffield Wednesday to release him so he could play in the A-League as well, so it wasn't as if the championship club released him. Anyway, Sydney released him and now he's currently playing in the Queensland State League (his home state), where he is apparently already scoring goals. Hard to gauge his potential, but I think he could be pretty good.

- Joey Gibbs. Age 20. Just released by Western Sydney Wanderers. He looked pretty good there each time Popovic played him over Kresinger. Won the Lucas Neill Scholarship award in 2008. Would probably be an easy and cheap signing, who I think would make a pretty good backup striker.

Lastly we could promote someone from the youth team and throw them in the deep end. I didn't manage to see many NYL games, so I'm not too sure what our strikers are like. Going off the statistics though no striker is a standout. Zac Walker didn't seem to have another stellar season, but if we don't secure another good backup striker than I wouldn't be against promoting him (although, going off the stats for his most recent season, I wouldn't expect much). Also, going off the stats again, Evan Batsis could be promoted. Whilst I wouldn't expect a lot from him immediately either, you never know how a young player like Batsis will go, and he could have a cracking season in our senior squad.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 3

as people have said nothing in that article we didn't already know..

But it's the first time we've seen Murdocca being linked to us in an actual article, so chances are that rumour was pretty spot on.

also good to see no mention of Hoff, lets hope he leaves.

as for the players WSW released, i would take visconte, always thought he was a good player

Redmayne

Walker        Gerhardt  Vrankcovic     Mitchinson

Garcia                                               Ramsey 

Duga                                                 Visconte

Gol Gol                                             Williams

• Like 1

Besides a proven striker that's played in Europe, I hope we sign a quality young Australian striker. Some possibilities are:

- Corey Gameiro. Age 20. Just finished his loan spell with Wellington Phoenix, and it's very possible that the club that he's signed to, Fulham, will loan him out again. He's been loaned out 3 times in total, and I reckon Fulham will want him to go through another loan where he plays a good amount of games and regularly gets on the scoresheet. Sydney FC are apparently trying to secure him for a loan, though. He looked very impressive at Wellington, and I reckon he could have a solid season at Heart.

- Brent McGrath. Age 21. Has been at Denmark's biggest and most, or second most, successful club Brondby IF since 2010. He's made over 30 appearances for his club, but the vast majority of those appearances seem to be late substitutions. So, unsurprisingly, he hasn't found the back of the net much. His contract will be finished by June 30. He's featured in many Australian youth national teams and has even played one game for the Socceroos under Osieck. Ange Postecoglou thought highly enough of McGrath to have him feature in the Australian u/17 team as the youngest player in his squad. IMO, I reckon he would be a quality 2nd choice striker (like I said at the start, I think a proven striker who's played in Europe should be our first choice striker, then one of these Aussie strikers could be our backup striker).

- Jarrod Kyle. Age 19. Spent a fair bit of time at Sheffield Wednesday's youth academy, and even won their player-of-the-year award last season. He joined Sydney around the start of this year, but wasn't really given a go by Sydney FC's coach Frank Farina. He asked Sheffield Wednesday to release him so he could play in the A-League as well, so it wasn't as if the championship club released him. Anyway, Sydney released him and now he's currently playing in the Queensland State League (his home state), where he is apparently already scoring goals. Hard to gauge his potential, but I think he could be pretty good.

- Joey Gibbs. Age 20. Just released by Western Sydney Wanderers. He looked pretty good there each time Popovic played him over Kresinger. Won the Lucas Neill Scholarship award in 2008. Would probably be an easy and cheap signing, who I think would make a pretty good backup striker.

Lastly we could promote someone from the youth team and throw them in the deep end. I didn't manage to see many NYL games, so I'm not too sure what our strikers are like. Going off the statistics though no striker is a standout. Zac Walker didn't seem to have another stellar season, but if we don't secure another good backup striker than I wouldn't be against promoting him (although, going off the stats for his most recent season, I wouldn't expect much). Also, going off the stats again, Evan Batsis could be promoted. Whilst I wouldn't expect a lot from him immediately either, you never know how a young player like Batsis will go, and he could have a cracking season in our senior squad.

Good little post this, Murfy.

Having not seen any of McGrath whatsoever, the only thing that concerns me a bit is that his goal scoring record so far isn't too flash at all, even with most of his appearances coming off the bench, you'd like to see more then 2 goals., which could definitely helped by first team football regularly back in Australia, although I'd be loathe to sign him as our out and out striker.

Redmayne

Walker        Gerhardt  Vrankcovic     Mitchinson

Garcia                                               Ramsey 

Duga                                                 Visconte

Gol Gol                                             Williams

Mate, would actually be better used as a Second Striker than as a Winger IMO.

Edited by cadete

Good little post this, Murfy.

Having not seen any of McGrath whatsoever, the only thing that concerns me a bit is that his goal scoring record so far isn't too flash at all, even with most of his appearances coming off the bench, you'd like to see more then 2 goals., which could definitely helped by first team football regularly back in Australia, although I'd be loathe to sign him as our out and out striker.

I do not know McGrath apart from his youth team reputation a couple of years ago. As far as his goal scoring record goes, people said Gol Gol couldn't score, and he turned out all right. Also, it is not like our top scorers have been in the high double figures.

We should look at strikers based on their abilty to prosper in the A-League. McBreen is an example of a guy who played at a lower level in Europe yet did well here. Agreed we need proven strikers, although there may be room in the squad to take a chance on a young guy like McGrath if he was up to it.

So depending on who else is signed I'll put forward Patrick Owomoyela as a name, I actually thought he'd retired until I read an article on him really, had a few injury problems and is absolutely on the outer with Dortmund, perhaps worth a look at 33?

He'd be a great player if he hadn't spent a whole year recovering from repeated injury. he'd be another Grella type gamble

I think we should look at getting James Meyer!

Very under-rated player, 6 goals in 22 appearances for the Roar mostly coming off the bench. Very good movement off the ball and seems to pop up in the right place quite often, only problem is he's prone to injury.

Brett Holman?

is clearly not about to leave Europe

If he is happy to warm the bench and peel the oranges in England, then good for him. At 29, he'd be a decent Aussie marquee signing.

He wants to play for the Socceroos, plus he was one of Villa's better players at the start of the season. He could easily find another club in Europe before coming back to the A-League

Brett Holman?

is clearly not about to leave Europe

If he is happy to warm the bench and peel the oranges in England, then good for him. At 29, he'd be a decent Aussie marquee signing.

He wants to play for the Socceroos, plus he was one of Villa's better players at the start of the season. He could easily find another club in Europe before coming back to the A-League

If he has even half a brain he should be looking to get a move back to the Eredivisie. In Holland he was a #10 in a good team, now he's a bench warmer in a shit team. I'm sure there are plenty of Dutch clubs that would be looking at him, but his wage at Villa would be a huge stumbling block to overcome, even more so for us, he'd be on $2m + per year at Villa one would assume.

Perfect scenario would be a move back to AZ to link up with Eli.

Redmayne

Walker Gerhardt Vrankcovic Mitchinson

Garcia Ramsey

Duga Visconte

Gol Gol Williams

Mate, would actually be better used as a Second Striker than as a Winger IMO. So much this. When he was @ Knights he played in a more central role and you could tell that he was more comfortable/natural there. Goes missing on the wing and becomes too isolated IMO.

EDIT - Even though he's played out wide for us, I've never considered him a 'winger'

Edited by MaliMate

Redmayne

Walker Gerhardt Vrankcovic Mitchinson

Garcia Ramsey

Duga Visconte

Gol Gol Williams

Mate, would actually be better used as a Second Striker than as a Winger IMO.So much this. When he was @ Knights he played in a more central role and you could tell that he was more comfortable/natural there. Goes missing on the wing and becomes too isolated IMO.

EDIT - Even though he's played out wide for us, I've never considered him a 'winger' It was a bit of a joke formation anyway because of the comment of signing alot of wingers so we would end up with a giant 2 prong fork formation.

But I remember when duga played central last season he did some great work. He could be the Fred replacement. He is like a Klamar who can run issnt he?

Edited by Dylan

Not counting Garcia, we only have 14 players. Also, Macallister is now our only striker. We need defenders, midfielders and a striker or two (preferably two, since there isn't even a NYL player that would rival Macallister if our number one striker was injured).

I also really want to see some quality defenders and midfielders join the team, as we have really lacked them for a while. But we could use some quality in other positions as well (e.g. striker, a new backup keeper).

So with a squad of 14, we can speculate and look forward to the club signing players would play in various different positions.

Edited by Murfy1