Melbourne Football

City in the headlines

millm103

I don't know how many clubs have an under 23 marquee or for that matter an Australian marquee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-League#Marquee_player

Not sure how accurate that is seeing how Kewell has been listed as our 'Domestic Marquee' but is on around 55-60k a year.

Pretty sure David Williams is our domestic marquee.

Massimo Murdocca: Manchester City takeover a wake-up call for Melbourne Heart

By Ronny Lerner

January 29, 2014

The Manchester City takeover of Melbourne Heart has been a much-needed 'wake-up call' for the struggling A-League club, according to midfielder Massimo Murdocca.

Shockwaves were sent right around the Australian football community last week when the English Premier League giants acquired an 80 percent majority stake in the Heart. 

Virtually all staff are now on notice at the Heart and Murdocca believes that kind of uncertainty and pressure is what great teams thrive on. 

"It doesn't necessarily mean you are secure in your spot even if you do have a contract (beyond this season)," Murdocca said at Epping Stadium on Wednesday. 

"I think it's good for the club and players to have that kind of pressure – that type of pressure is what wins you championships when you're always on your toes and you're always thinking: 'geez, if I don't perform, if I don't improve, I'm in big trouble." 

Murdocca said he and his team-mates were excited by the mystery surrounding the Heart's future but admitted the enormity of the Manchester City purchase probably would not sink in until next season. 

"It will really hit us next year when they make massive changes, whether it's in the office, on field and maybe the colours as well, change of name, you just don't know what's going to happen," Murdocca said. 

"I guess that's what's keeping everyone up at the moment, it's keeping everyone positive. 

"When your future is bright, it usually (ensures it is) bright every day so we're all happy but at the same time uncertain." 

Murdocca was adamant the announcement of the new ownership structure came at a 'great time' for the Heart who have only won one of their 16 matches to date this season.

"It probably wouldn't have helped us if it came at the end of the season," he said. 

"We've got to pull our socks up and start working and start improving as a collective and I think we have been doing that which has been promising." 

Despite their horror 2013-14 campaign, the Heart are still a faint chance to reach the finals as the bottom-placed club are 12 points adrift of the top six with 11 games to go. 

But Murdocca was more concerned about giving the long-suffering Heart fans something to hang their hats on heading into next season rather than chasing an unlikely post-season berth. 

"It (finals) is not the key thing for me, it's all about improving and finishing the season on a high and then building for next year especially with the new owners coming in," Murdocca said. 

"We want to ... make sure that this year we give the fans something to remember for next season and to see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel. 

"We're not that far off, we're really not, and when it's mathematically still a chance, we'll keep trying (to make finals)." 

Next up or the Heart is a date with Sydney FC at AAMI Park on Friday night and John van 't Schip's men are desperate to atone for their last performance against the Sky Blues at the same venue, according to Murdocca, which ended in a 2-0 loss. 

"Especially that first half, it just wasn't good enough, (we were) totally outplayed, our pressure wasn't there and all those areas are things we've been working on in the last month or two and I think we've really improved so it'll be a totally different ball game this time," Murdocca said.

Edited by Murfy1

Massimo Murdocca: Manchester City takeover a wake-up call for Melbourne Heart

By Ronny Lerner

January 29, 2014

The Manchester City takeover of Melbourne Heart has been a much-needed 'wake-up call' for the struggling A-League club, according to midfielder Massimo Murdocca.

Shockwaves were sent right around the Australian football community last week when the English Premier League giants acquired an 80 percent majority stake in the Heart. 

Virtually all staff are now on notice at the Heart and Murdocca believes that kind of uncertainty and pressure is what great teams thrive on. 

"It doesn't necessarily mean you are secure in your spot even if you do have a contract (beyond this season)," Murdocca said at Epping Stadium on Wednesday. 

"I think it's good for the club and players to have that kind of pressure – that type of pressure is what wins you championships when you're always on your toes and you're always thinking: 'geez, if I don't perform, if I don't improve, I'm in big trouble." 

Murdocca said he and his team-mates were excited by the mystery surrounding the Heart's future but admitted the enormity of the Manchester City purchase probably would not sink in until next season. 

"It will really hit us next year when they make massive changes, whether it's in the office, on field and maybe the colours as well, change of name, you just don't know what's going to happen," Murdocca said. 

"I guess that's what's keeping everyone up at the moment, it's keeping everyone positive. 

"When your future is bright, it usually (ensures it is) bright every day so we're all happy but at the same time uncertain." 

Murdocca was adamant the announcement of the new ownership structure came at a 'great time' for the Heart who have only won one of their 16 matches to date this season.

"It probably wouldn't have helped us if it came at the end of the season," he said. 

"We've got to pull our socks up and start working and start improving as a collective and I think we have been doing that which has been promising." 

Despite their horror 2013-14 campaign, the Heart are still a faint chance to reach the finals as the bottom-placed club are 12 points adrift of the top six with 11 games to go. 

But Murdocca was more concerned about giving the long-suffering Heart fans something to hang their hats on heading into next season rather than chasing an unlikely post-season berth. 

"It (finals) is not the key thing for me, it's all about improving and finishing the season on a high and then building for next year especially with the new owners coming in," Murdocca said. 

"We want to ... make sure that this year we give the fans something to remember for next season and to see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel. 

"We're not that far off, we're really not, and when it's mathematically still a chance, we'll keep trying (to make finals)." 

Next up or the Heart is a date with Sydney FC at AAMI Park on Friday night and John van 't Schip's men are desperate to atone for their last performance against the Sky Blues at the same venue, according to Murdocca, which ended in a 2-0 loss. 

"Especially that first half, it just wasn't good enough, (we were) totally outplayed, our pressure wasn't there and all those areas are things we've been working on in the last month or two and I think we've really improved so it'll be a totally different ball game this time," Murdocca said.

Now this article is exactly what has concerned me about the culture of our club. Why is a buyout of the franchise by MCFC a 'wake-up call' for the players? Surely being bottom of the ladder, playing appalling football and being winless until the Jets game would be a wakeup call to any corpse that had been dead for 1000 years! The chance of a contract with the new owners is motivation because no matter how poorly any of the first 11 players performed on the field it seemed to be OK, nobody got dropped for more than a single game, no competition for places. The culture needs a big big shift

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 5

Chasing the Dream

Melbourne: Wednesday, February 5 2014

For many National Youth League players it can feel like make or break as the clock ticks down on the season. Determined to be amongst the players that make the jump from the NYL to the A-League, Melbourne Heart’s rising star Alex Dao shares with the PFA his dream of securing a senior contract and the sacrifices he is making in pursuit of it.

6373649a44.png

Alex Dao challenges Orlando Engelaar for possession at Melbourne Heart Training.

“I’m doing everything I can, I watch everything I eat and I make sure I get loads of sleep, it is the fittest I have ever been,” says Melbourne Heart NYL player Alex Dao. Water bottle in hand and looking fighting fit it is obvious that he is being true to his word.

The reason for doing so is obvious - the chance to play in the A-League. With only four games remaining in the NYL season and too old to play in the competition next season Dao is determined to take his chance now. “It does not mean it’s the end if it doesn’t happen now but it gets harder I guess,” the midfielder says. “If I have to drop back to the State League it’s more difficult because you don’t train as much.”

The signs in recent weeks have given Dao cause for optimism with the former FC Bulleen Lions player training with the Heart first team. Desperate to make an impact on Heart Boss John van’t Ship coming to training for the first time was a little daunting.

“I was really nervous before the first session,” says Dao. “It was quite nerve racking at the start, firstly meeting all the boys, luckily all the players here are really helpful and open.

“It’s a different intensity, you have to adjust physically also and not making as many mistakes because you have more pressure on you from the older players, who also give you an insight on how to be better. After a few sessions you start to get used to the pace of the game and from there you are trying to impress.”

Having had the taste of life in the A-League Dao is now determined to ensure he does all he can to earn an A-League contract. “You have to make up your mind and put everything you can into it otherwise you will regret it.” Putting everything into has meant making plenty of sacrifices. His University studies, where he has already completed three years of an Engineering Degree, has been dropped back to part-time and nights out with his mates are definitely out of the question.

“I have seen what goes into making it to the senior team and I want to put everything into it. Last semester it was tough to balance a full-time study load with my training commitments. It was not something that I wanted to stop completely because it is something I enjoy and I know how valuable it is but I wanted to have time to do both well.

“My mates have been hanging on me because I can’t go out or see them as much but if you love football these are the sacrifices you have to make. Most of them all understand and are great about it.”

With only four games remaining and still unsure of whether he will offered an A-League contract with the Heart, Dao is trying not to let the uncertainty affect him but concedes it is not always easy.

“To get the chance to play A-League would be unbelievable. If not I guess I will go back to studying and playing in the State League but I hope that is not the case because I know that it’s important to be training four or five times a week if you are going to make it to a good level and that’s not possible outside of the A-League.

“I try to get on with it because if you put too much pressure on yourself it can have an affect on your confidence so that is what I try to do and keep an open mind. I’m trying to just focus on improving all the time.”

If Dao does manage to make the jump to the A-League the approach of constant improvement will not change. “If I get the chance to sign an A-League contract I know that is where it begins for me.”

For countless NYL players across Australia they will be hoping for the same beginning as Dao.

http://www.pfa.net.au/index.php?id=5&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=527&tx_ttnews[backPid]=4&cHash=767ed19362

Heart pumped up for finals tilt

6 February 2014

Greg Prichard

Melbourne Heart might still be tailed off in last place on the competition table but after its recent revival it's thinking finals football.

The players are not shouting it from the rooftops, but they're saying to themselves: Why not? Why can't we make it?

If they can beat Perth Glory at AAMI Park on Sunday, to go with the two wins and a draw from their last three games - after a horror run of 19 games without a win stretching back to last season - it certainly wouldn't look outrageous as a possibility.

"Right now we're just trying to get the most out of our game, week to week," Heart midfielder Jason Hoffman said.

"As it gets closer and closer to the end of the season, we might have a look at the table and see how many three-pointers we've picked up along the way and if the top six is there within reach you are going to start thinking about it.

"Realistically and mathematically, it's definitely a goal for us. Why can't we go on a run and make it?

"But if you get swept up in those thoughts your mind might go away from thinking about the job at hand, week in and week out.

"So while it's OK to not rule out making the finals, for us it's about picking up three points in your next game and going from there."

The statistics say it's not ridiculous to suggest Heart could make the finals.

The A-League is a 27-round competition in which more than half of the 10 teams - six - qualify for the finals.

Heart is on just 12 points at the moment, nine points outside the top six, but has 30 more points to play for in the final 10 rounds.

The competition has been run over 27 rounds three times, with Perth finishing sixth on 32 points last season, Melbourne Victory sixth on 37 in 2011-2012 and Newcastle sixth on 34 in 2009-2010.

Obviously, Heart does not have a lot of room for error. It would have to pick up 20 from that possible 30 just to get to 32, if that lowest previous 27-round qualifying total was enough for a top-six spot this season.

But it is obviously not beyond the realms of possibility if it could go on a run. It is on a run now – it just has to keep it going, albeit for a lengthy period.

Hoffman, who turned 25 in January, is one of only three Heart foundation players from the 2010-2011 season still at the club.

"I've loved Melbourne ever since I moved here," Hoffman said.

"My fiancee has now moved to Melbourne as well and has a job down here.

"We couldn't be happier. It's a great city to live in. I love Newcastle but it's great to experience a big city.

"I really love a good coffee and from where I live in East Melbourne there are a lot of good cafes within walking distance. I love the social side of that down here.

"One of the things that drew me to Heart is that Melbourne is one of the sporting capitals of the world. They are so passionate about their sport down here and I find I'm able to feed off that passion when I'm playing.

"The results overall for us this season haven't been good, but the fact we're still getting that core support shows how much potential this club has got.

"I can't help but be excited about the direction the club has taken with the new ownership. I think it's great for the club and the league.

"I don't think there's any doubt things are going to get bigger and better at the Heart, and hopefully we'll get a lot more supporters on-board as a result."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1180736/Heart-pumped-up-for-finals-tilt

Edited by Murfy1

Melbourne heart feature in third AXF Cup

13 February, 2014

Melbourne Heart FC will participate in the AXF Cup Chinese New Year Charity Tournament on Sunday 16 February from 11.30am, with all money raised from this year’s tournament going towards the Big Issue Street Soccer program.

Melbourne Heart will again be represented in the tournament by Unite FC, a team from the Australian Somali Football Association, which won the AXF Cup last year for the Red and White.

This year will be the third successive year Melbourne Heart will be participating in the one-day tournament. Unite FC will play against teams including the Melbourne Chinese Soccer Association and the Victoria Police Soccer Club to help celebrate the Chinese New Year.

Supporters are encouraged to attend the tournament held at the Veneto Club in Bulleen from 11.30am on Sunday for a gold coin donation, with all proceeds donated to the Big Issue Street Soccer.

This year’s tournament will also feature a Chinese Dragon and Lion dance and a women’s friendly match between the Vic Police and a Melbourne Heart representative team, comprising women from the Melbourne Chinese Soccer Association and players from Ringwood United SC.

Event Details

AXF CUP Chinese New Year Charity Tournament

Sunday 16 February 2014

11.30am

Veneto Club

191 Bulleen Rd, Bulleen

Featured Teams

Melbourne Heart FC Representative Team (represented by Unite FC)

Victoria Police Soccer Club

MSCA United

Heidelberg Stars Soccer Club

Ghan United

Melbourne Internationals

- FREE Kids activities and prizes

- Chinese Lion and Dragon Dance

- Women's Exhibition match at 3pm

- Gold Coin Fundraising for Street Soccer

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Melbourne-Heart-feature-in-third-AXF-Cup/85920

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Albury-praises-regional-match/85923

Good to see Gallop was in Albury basking in our glory while Munn et al we busy whipping the locals up into a frenzy of support for the Red&White. If it's one thing we seem to have done well it's our work in the community and outside of Melbourne. Nice work all and great to see support for HeartFC at the game, clap, clap.

Home of course

In other words, the club choose to play regional games..It´s not something they have to do?

No. Every club is forced play one. The league runs for 27 games. Each team plays 13 home games and 13 away games. With the remaining game being the regional game. A team is notionally the home team, but that means fuck all as we have played both in Morwell and Albury as the away and home team respectively and the majority of supporters were Heart on each occasion.

• Like 1

Cheers malloy.. It looks to my myopic eyes that it might be a nice way to raise awareness of the club, and to recruit new fans as well.

Do your neighbours play there as well or do they favour other areas?

From what I know each team hosts a regional game every 2nd season. Last year the tarts played in Tasmania, and probably will again as they have a ongoing partnership there

• Like 1

I see.. Heart don´t have an affiliate club somewhere in Australia I take it?

Sorry for the stupid questions but all this is new to me, last year I had to take a crash course in MLS, now it´s A-league. Keeping track of ones club used to be so easy in my grandfathers time :lol:

Sorry for the stupid questions but all this is new to me, last year I had to take a crash course in MLS, now it´s A-league. Keeping track of ones club used to be so easy in my grandfathers time :lol:

There had been so much financial instability, maladministration and ethnic rivalry in the old NSL that there was a conscious decision to reform a league that no only had no clubs at all but used the MLS franchise model, and that on the whole used new entities that didn't have affiliations to 'old sokkah' as it became known (Perth Glory is the exception as it was an NSL club). Pluses and minus of the decision, it allowed a new clean start, but it broke those community connections and alienated a lot of the old club's supporters.

• Like 1

Having looked at the Melbourne soccer history I must ask if Heart is the only club not set up by a certain ethnic group?

and Victory plus plenty of lower level clubs I am sure. The whole idea of the A-league was to move away from the ethnicity domination of clubs.

The Morwell game was our home game. We played our away regional game last season in NZ vs Wellington when Gol Gol scored that ripper free kick IIRC. Guessing next season it will be outside of Victoria and our away game.

The Morwell game was a regional game. The concept of "home regional" and "away regional" is only required for the recording of the match statistics in the league table.

There had been so much financial instability, maladministration and ethnic rivalry in the old NSL that there was a conscious decision to reform a league that no only had no clubs at all but used the MLS franchise model, and that on the whole used new entities that didn't have affiliations to 'old sokkah' as it became known (Perth Glory is the exception as it was an NSL club). Pluses and minus of the decision, it allowed a new clean start, but it broke those community connections and alienated a lot of the old club's supporters.

The Roar are the other, not sure about newcastle. It still shits me no end that all the other old foreign nationality based teams where not admitted yet the Roar some how still get in. And before you say they weren't an NSL team, they played in the NSL back in the 70/80's. 

IIRC NSL teams that went into the first season of the A-League:

Adelaide United;

Perth Glory;

Newcastle United Jets (in the NSL as Newcastle United);

Queensland Roar (in the NSL as Brisbane Strikers);

New Zealand Knights (in the NSL as New Zealand Football Kingz).

They did in name anyway but all bar Glory had to change to a franchise ownership model. Glory was already owned by Nick Tana I think