Melbourne Football

City in the headlines

millm103

I just hope they aren't rushing harry back because of the situation and then he gets injured again. If he's fit play him, can't keep him wrapped up, but hope it's not panic. 

At this stage I don't even care if he's fully fit, just get him out there. 

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/17/a-league-what-we-learned-this-weekend Aloisi’s new challenge

Who would have thought it would be like this? John Aloisi, the hero of 16 November 2005, booed by his own fans. Actually, Aloisi may be used to it after Sydney FC fans vented their frustrations a few years back, albeitwith some justification. Somehow though, the week-in week-out scrutiny and intensity of being a coach brings far more pressure to bear than it generally does on players. Though it is hard to imagine Aloisi ever looking anything other than tanned, fit and sartorially savvy, no matter how many scoreless matches he presides over. Coaches in the modern game are increasingly ones with high profile playing careers on the resume. Whether that is a positive trend is a matter for debate. It is easy to imagine that the Heart management, though they will say otherwise, last year were dazzled by Aloisi’s star factor despite having just one season of National Youth League coaching in the bank. One wonders what would have happened if Ante Milicic, who has since been a key backroom figure in Western Sydney Wanderers’ success, had beenelevated to the role instead.

Harry Kewell set to return from injury for Melbourne Heart's clash with Newcastle Jets
  • David Davutovic
  • Herald Sun
  • November 17, 2013 11:00PM

HARRY Kewell will return for Sunday's pressure-cooker game against Newcastle Jets with chief executive Scott Munn revealing that Melbourne Heart's board still expects a finals berth this season despite their worst-ever start.

Munn revealed that coach John Aloisi, whose contract expires at the end of next season, was under pressure although he denied that a board meeting took place on Sunday to discuss his future.

The scene is set for Kewell, who relishes pressure, to play the role of saviour with the veteran expected to return to the bench for the Jets clash along with hard-nosed defender Patrick Kisnorbo.

Kewell and Dutchman Rob Wielaert - captain and vice-captain - led a player meeting on Saturday to discuss their role in arresting the slump which has Heart chained to the bottom of the table, winless in 11 games and having scored just twice this season.

Munn described the performance in last Friday's 2-0 loss to Sydney FC as "appalling" and said things needed to improve.

Join David Davutovic's Studs Up

"Everyone in our organisation is under incredible pressure, particularly John (Aloisi) because he is the face of our football performance,'' Munn said.

"Our benchmark was to go deep into the finals and that remains our goal and. We're six rounds in and it hasn't gone our way but Perth were bottom at Christmas two seasons ago and made the grand final.

"We haven't started anywhere near where we would've expected but even worse than losing was that the performance was appalling, that was certainly the most disappointing factor, the way we lost.

"We have invested significantly not just in players but the football department. We've got three new full time staff in football department and with that comes significant expectations with regards to on-field results.

"When you're not winning games in any sport you'll be under scrutiny and everyone in the organisation is.

"Clearly we're incredibly disappointed with the start to the season, Friday night wasn't acceptable form anyone in the organisation, from the board to the players."

Munn revealed that marquee Orlando Engelaar might return sooner than anticipated but only Kewell and Kisnorbo were likely to return in Round 7.

"We need to continue to work and we've got Harry and Patrick back on the track. Orlando (Engelaar) is progressing incredibly well, a bit better than we expected," he said.

"We need to get back to a positive frame of mind but we're not shying away from anything."

Read more: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/football/a-league/harry-kewell-set-to-return-from-injury-for-melbourne-hearts-clash-with-newcastle-jets/story-e6frf4gl-1226762036437#ixzz2ku94nHf6

A bit of positive news out of an awful week. 

Although Munn said Harry was a 100% chance of starting last week so I won't hold my breath.

Player meeting? Well, you can read that one of two ways.

Who are the three new full-time staff in the football department? Nus is one, who are the others? Are they counting Bolton? The third has me puzzled - can't be JvS because he's not full-time.

Edited by jw1739

"Kewell and Dutchman Rob Wielaert - captain and vice-captain - led a player meeting on Saturday to discuss their role in arresting the slump which has Heart chained to the bottom of the table, winless in 11 games and having scored just twice this season."

Sounds like the players have fuckin lost their shit, given aloisi the flick and decided to run the team themselves. The meeting may have started something like this...."This shit cunt aloisi is ruining our reputation so we're talking control bla bla bla..."

Harry Kewell set to return from injury for Melbourne Heart's clash with Newcastle Jets
  • David Davutovic
  • Herald Sun

HARRY Kewell will return for Sunday's pressure-cooker game against Newcastle Jets with chief executive Scott Munn revealing that Melbourne Heart's board still expects a finals berth this season despite their worst-ever start.

Munn revealed that coach John Aloisi, whose contract expires at the end of next season, was under pressure although he denied that a board meeting took place on Sunday to discuss his future.

The scene is set for Kewell, who relishes pressure, to play the role of saviour with the veteran expected to return to the bench for the Jets clash along with hard-nosed defender Patrick Kisnorbo.

Kewell and Dutchman Rob Wielaert - captain and vice-captain - led a player meeting on Saturday to discuss their role in arresting the slump which has Heart chained to the bottom of the table, winless in 11 games and having scored just twice this season.

Munn described the performance in last Friday's 2-0 loss to Sydney FC as "appalling" and said things needed to improve.

"Everyone in our organisation is under incredible pressure, particularly John (Aloisi) because he is the face of our football performance,'' Munn said.

"Our benchmark was to go deep into the finals and that remains our goal and. We're six rounds in and it hasn't gone our way but Perth were bottom at Christmas two seasons ago and made the grand final.

"We haven't started anywhere near where we would've expected but even worse than losing was that the performance was appalling, that was certainly the most disappointing factor, the way we lost.

"We have invested significantly not just in players but the football department. We've got three new full time staff in football department and with that comes significant expectations with regards to on-field results.

"When you're not winning games in any sport you'll be under scrutiny and everyone in the organisation is.

"Clearly we're incredibly disappointed with the start to the season, Friday night wasn't acceptable form anyone in the organisation, from the board to the players."

Munn revealed that marquee Orlando Engelaar might return sooner than anticipated but only Kewell and Kisnorbo were likely to return in Round 7.

"We need to continue to work and we've got Harry and Patrick back on the track. Orlando (Engelaar) is progressing incredibly well, a bit better than we expected," he said.

"We need to get back to a positive frame of mind but we're not shying away from anything."

Read more: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/football/a-league/harry-kewell-set-to-return-from-injury-for-melbourne-hearts-clash-with-newcastle-jets/story-e6frf4gl-1226762036437#ixzz2ku94nHf6

Although Munn said Harry was a 100% chance of starting last week so I won't hold my breath.

Who are the three new full-time staff in the football department? Nus is one, who are the others? Are they counting Bolton? The third has me puzzled - can't be JvS because he's not full-time.

According to the Heart website, the coaching staff consiss of Aloisi, Foxe, Palatsides and Nus.

Nus is new but the others were there last season, so unless Foxe and Pala were only part timers last season.

Maybe Ron Smith (Technical director) is now full time

In wikipedia it shows there is a High Performance Manager - Martin Wollin (sack him cause we are so far from high performance its not funny)

Joe Didulica is the reserves GK coach.

Peter Zois is still showing as the main GK coach.

Bolton is in marketing.....

• David Davutovic
  • Herald Sun

According to the Heart website, the coaching staff consiss of Aloisi, Foxe, Palatsides and Nus.

Nus is new but the others were there last season, so unless Foxe and Pala were only part timers last season.

Maybe Ron Smith (Technical director) is now full time

In wikipedia it shows there is a High Performance Manager - Martin Wollin (sack him cause we are so far from high performance its not funny)

Joe Didulica is the reserves GK coach.

Peter Zois is still showing as the main GK coach.

Bolton is in marketing.....

I’d say that the Wikipedia page is outdated for a start because Ron Smith is no longer with us. He was always only part time and not even in Melbourne which would never work. So there has to be another two. Might be best to go have a look at training and see if there is any new faces. 

I would interpret that players meeting as they feel they have some responsibility in the performance of the team so I’d say it would have been just the players with HK and Robbie controlling the meeting which is good news. Hopefully it was galvanising for the players.

The orlando news is great (my shirt wont look as ridiculous!) and it has to have something to do with the access we have using Carlton’s facilities, even HK was down there in the high altitude tent. I have always said that we should go to AFL clubs for help as their game is much more physically demanding and so they would have to have more knowledge about recovery and prevention. 

I'd suggest that what club officials saw and heard on Friday night has hit home. Although the subsequent media comment hasn't been too vitriolic, I'd say that the honeymoon period for MHFC is well and truly over now, and we can expect to be treated like the other nine clubs from now on.

I'd suggest that what club officials saw and heard on Friday night has hit home. Although the subsequent media comment hasn't been too vitriolic, I'd say that the honeymoon period for MHFC is well and truly over now, and we can expect to be treated like the other nine clubs from now on.

While absolutely gutted by what happened last Friday on the pitch, what happened off the pitch with the boos and the "ALOISI OUT" sign made me realise that that club had come of age - at least from a supporter engagement perspective. That there was passion about the poor state of what was being dished up meant that we all cared about what was happening. Munn et al should see this as a positive - a big bloody positive. We want to have success and don't want to stand idly by while things turn to shit. More of this kind of passion and we'll grow bigger and stronger.

Edited by HEARTinator
  • Like 4

In addition to Taliadoros, Davy van’t Schip- son of the Club’s inaugural Head Coach, John- joins the team as the team’s fitness and conditioning coach, continuing the family connection that started at the club’s inception

Hold on a minute. This is the boy who was left in Australia to finish his university degree. Now he is our fitness and conditioning coach. How about we shop around for proven success stories instead of simply asking if anyone knows someone who is looking for a job?

I can't believe people still want to take over the heart. We've made one final in 4 years and struggle to get over 7k crowds. Whats the attraction to us outside of being a Melbourne team?

Just read this then, wow. 

There definitely would have been several major pros and cons regarding a foreign takeover such as this but damn, interesting stuff!

I can't believe people still want to take over the heart. We've made one final in 4 years and struggle to get over 7k crowds. Whats the attraction to us outside of being a Melbourne team?

They see us as under-valued and with potential for growth. Or (maybe and) they may just want to own a football club. Some of these guys are squillionaires.

i'm worried of foreign investors who would buy heart (if it happens) and turn it into a Cardiff city situation.

Its alright we already play in red. The worst that could happen is we will be called Melbourne Dragon Heart FC

I'm in favour of this tbh

That makes a depressing read, basically everything will stay as it is for the next 2 years

I can't see it staying that long. Sure they will try to stand firm for a few weeks, but if we lose this week and JA comes back to aami and we are poor again, then all hell will break loose. I think they are just hoping we can win, because if not they have to realise they must act. They might be stubborn, and a little naive with some decisions, but I doubt they are insane !! 

• Like 1

They see us as under-valued and with potential for growth. Or (maybe and) they may just want to own a football club. Some of these guys are squillionaires.

This is what I see going on. Football clubs and leagues are growing stronger all around the world, and especially in Asia. And Melbourne has a large population of 4 million plus people who are mad about sports (compare us with CCM in Gosford, population around 300,000. That why a big corporation like Westpac renews its sponsorship with Heart, because their brand can be exposed to more people than in other locations, whilst CCM struggles to attract sponsors despite being very successful on the pitch).

Coupled with the general growth of the A-League, there are plenty of reasons to believe Melbourne Heart will keep getting bigger and bigger. Indeed, we HAVE seen increases in our memberships numbers season on season, despite the fact that our performances and results have pretty much gotten worse season on season. This all suggests that if our football club actually produced some good football, a lot more potential would be unleashed.

Many investors the world over believe Heart can and will get better, and are prepared to bet several million dollars or more on Heart growing. That shows that fairly objective individuals think it's only a matter of time before Heart reaps more success. Hopefully if our current board continue to stay around, they will keep learning and improving and do what's necessary to unleash that potential that so many investors see in Heart.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

No smoke without fire. 

Its pretty obvious Sidwell and co have our club up for sale, just waiting for the "right" offer.  Given they seem to know 2/5th of %^$# all about football, i can only hope they sell out reasonably quickly to some knowledgeable well funded investors who will help this great club fulfill its destiny as the No 1 club for all Melbournians with IQs >35.

• Like 1

No smoke without fire. 

Its pretty obvious Sidwell and co have our club up for sale, just waiting for the "right" offer.  Given they seem to know 2/5th of %^$# all about football, i can only hope they sell out reasonably quickly to some knowledgeable well funded investors who will help this great club fulfill its destiny as the No 1 club for all Melbournians with IQs >35.

Well that excludes idiots but luckily we can still be the club for imbeciles and morons then :lol:

The idiots all have to go to the visitors

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

You don't find these things out unless someone involved tells you.

Might be a smoke screen for our poor start, might be board putting the bait out for further interest.

9m is a very cheap price for a professional sports club, that wouldn't get you sponsorship for some teams.

Would like to know the motivation though of potential new owners, they can do just about anything if they wave cash around like Clive Palmer.

That there is money on the table for us at around $9M even when we have played crap makes me laugh and positive about where we and the HAL are going. We have huge Asian growth potential that can only be dreamed of by NRL and AFL. imagine getting a proper coach and winning the toilet seat - up yours Tards!!!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if there has been a lot more behind the scenes activity on the sale issue and not just SMFC and the Shanghai news. Sidwell et al might reckon if they hang on long enough, and with the growth of the HAL and the rise of WSW, HeartFC might be tasty bait for a billionaire from China and our board members might hit pay dirt soon.