Melbourne Football

City in the headlines

millm103

Yeah, I don't know about Ray Gatt either. For news on Sydney, I'm sure he's ok, but as far as the Melbourne clubs are concerned, I think Davutovic is the best for getting scoops, and Michael Lynch is good at reporting what's going on. He's the only major reporter who actually goes to training occasionally to chat with people. Ray Gatt on the other hand passed on twitter rumours about Kewell being at Crown that night when he was actually still in Europe.

Yeah, I don't know about Ray Gatt either. For news on Sydney, I'm sure he's ok, but as far as the Melbourne clubs are concerned, I think Davutovic is the best for getting scoops, and Michael Lynch is good at reporting what's going on. He's the only major reporter who actually goes to training occasionally to chat with people. Ray Gatt on the other hand passed on twitter rumours about Kewell being at Crown that night when he was actually still in Europe.

It always amazes me how many kids are out there are trying to be a print soccer journos, when Melbourne can barely support the workload of more than two.

Edited by cadete

It always amazes me how many kids are out there are trying to be a print soccer journos, when Melbourne can barely support the workload of more than two.

There's plenty of work... if you dont mind working for free.

Could be a chance that the board are keeping Munn in the dark.

you think its more likely that Munn doesn't know or that he is not divulging the clubs confidential dealings....

This.

The club doesn't have too nor should have to tell the world and even the members everything.

Also you don't invest money for nothing, you would want some kind of control. Wether that is a good or bad thing if its true, well time will tell

Edited by Dylan

"As part of the relationship between La Trobe University and Melbourne Heart, Germano's gait was monitored by Kate Webster, Clare Ardern and Jodie McClelland from the University's School of Allied Hearlth, to track the progress of Germano's pre-season fitness."

More like 3 old birds stood around getting wet over Germano in little shorts.

• Like 2

"As part of the relationship between La Trobe University and Melbourne Heart, Germano's gait was monitored by Kate Webster, Clare Ardern and Jodie McClelland from the University's School of Allied Hearlth, to track the progress of Germano's pre-season fitness."

More like 3 old birds stood around getting wet over Germano in little shorts.

Jodie Clare and Kate. Not sure their old birds names. It's not like it was Harriet Beryl and Agnes.

Melbourne Heart's Harry Kewell insists he'll be fit for first round showdown with Victory

Matt Windley  The Herald Sun July 25, 2013 9:41PM

HARRY Kewell insists he will be fit for a first round showdown with Melbourne Victory despite missing Melbourne Heart's first pre-season match on Thursday night.

Kewell was to make his Heart debut against the Goulburn North East Football Association All Stars in Shepparton, but instead sat out after coach John Aloisi decided to take a no-risk approach with the Socceroos legend.

Heart won the match 4-1 courtesy of first half double from Gol Gol Mebrahtu and second half scores from Ben Garuccio and Mate Dugandzic.

In a boost for its 2013-14 campaign, it was announced last night that left back Aziz Behich would return to the club on a one-year loan deal from Turkish side Bursaspor.

Former Victory and Perth Glory goalkeeper Tando Velaphi has also signed a one-year contract.

Kewell said he wanted to play in last night's game, denying he had suffered any fitness setbacks since beginning training on July 3.

"I was looking forward to playing tonight," Kewell said.

"You can run all day around a park but the way you get your fitness is to go and play games. Melbourne Heart have a plan for me and I'm sticking to it.

"It was their decision not to play me tonight, so I have to agree with that."

Kewell said he did not know how many pre-season games he would play before the Victory clash on October 12.

But the 34-year-old knew exactly how long he has to prepare before facing his old side.

"There's 11 weeks and two days to go and counting," he said.

"If I pass all their tests I will be (on track) and I'm passing at the moment. I'm looking forward to it, it's going to be something special the first game.

"It's been exciting, the players have welcomed me straight away which is nice _ it's always good to come in to a positive dressing room."

Played in front of about 2500 spectators at Shepparton's McEwen Reserve, Heart dominated possession against a plucky All-Stars line-up in greasy conditions.

A scrappy first half came to life when Mebrahtu scored a classy individual opener midway through, before doubling the advantage with a scorching free kick from distance.

A Sean Ellis penalty pulled the score back to 2-1 shortly before the break, before Heart got back on the front foot via Garuccio and Dugandzic in the second period as the the hosts started to tire.

Behich will arrive in Melbourne this weekend.

The speedster appeared to have the football world at his feet when he signed a three and a half year deal with the Turkish Super Lig club in January.

He had made his Socceroos debut in November and was being touted as a World Cup prospect.

But after making just one appearance for Bursaspor, he is back in the A-League to reignite his career.

Heart netted in excess of $400,000 in transfer fees when Behcih left and it is understood the Turkish club will continue to pay the 22-year-old's wages in full for the entire season.

"Aziz brings so many qualities to our club that it was a no-brainer to have him back," Aloisi said.

"We were proud that we could help Aziz take the massive step to Europe but equally disappointed to lose him midway through last season."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-hearts-harry-kewell-insists-hell-be-fit-for-first-round-showdown-with-victory/story-fnibbvjo-1226685249350

Edited by Murfy1

it is understood the Turkish club will continue to pay the 22-year-old's [behich's] wages in full for the entire season

We must have an overflowing warchest given the smart business we've done signing Kewell, Behich and others. 

Real pleased with the players we've secured overall, but hopefully Heart does spend a bit more to secure quality players with the 3 spots we have left.

it is understood the Turkish club will continue to pay the 22-year-old's [behich's] wages in full for the entire season

We must have an overflowing warchest given the smart business we've done signing Kewell, Behich and others. 

Real pleased with the players we've secured overall, but hopefully Heart does spend a bit more to secure quality players with the 3 spots we have left.

I was quite surprised when i read that too, very smart business from heart. So does anyone know what happens in regard to the salary cap? Behich is probably on a decent wage at Bursapour but would that cut into the 2.5mil cap?

I was quite surprised when i read that too, very smart business from heart. So does anyone know what happens in regard to the salary cap? Behich is probably on a decent wage at Bursapour but would that cut into the 2.5mil cap?

That's a good question, and I'm not 100% sure. Other temporary signings, like injury replacement signings and short term signings, are outside of the salary cap, I'm rather certain. My best guess is that loan players like Behich are outside the salary cap, although I stand to be corrected.

Would have been good to the people of Shep to give the lad even just a 15 minute spell

Kewell was there signing autographs and talking to fans... I think his approach has been terrific since joining.

Don't get me wrong, I think Kewell has been brilliant for the club so far and I don't believe he has put a foot wrong. I also believe that him engaging with fans and signing stuff was very positive. I just doubt that much of the crowd would have seen him play before, and it would have been nice for them to see him for even 15 minutes just they could say that they've seen him play

For those of you who haven't listened to the JA interview on RSN, here's a quick summary.

- Harry's fitted in really well, happy with where he's at and he's likely to either play as the central striker or just behind.

- Happy with GolGol and Mate as our two starting wings.

- The priority is the signing of a boss DM, a striker will come afterwards, they've got good idea of who they're going to be, by the sounds of it.

- Several more pre-season games against A-League opposition, played closer to the start of the season, acknowledging that they need to play games against higher class opposition.

Really hard to see where Iain Ramsay will fit in now. Gol Gol and Wilo seem to be fighting to be our number 1 chose LW.

I wouldn't be surprised that Aziz has only come back because Heart guaranteed Bursaspor that Behich will play first team football and fast track his development for the future.

To my knowledge I'm not sure if Ramsay is equipped to playing anywhere else on the park. Other then the left side

Aziz's well known deficiencies or the style JA wants to play might still allow Ramsey to get a starting place. Aziz got his break coming in for Heffernan.

Gol Gol needed to be nursed last season and although we hope he will do well this season, obviously we don't know how he will hold up. Williams is great when on top of his game but can be inconsistent.

It is good to know we have competition for places.

The 2013 Melbourne Heart FC Family Day will be held on Sunday 22 September between 12pm-3pm at La Trobe University's Lower Playing Fields.  Family Day gives Melbourne Heart members the opportunity to mingle with fellow supporters, be formally introduced to the 2013-14 playing squad, as well as partake in a number of activities ranging from player signings to small-sided football games and face painting.

Melbourne Heart FC Family Day Details

Sunday 22 September 2013 - 12-3pm

La Trobe University Playing Fields

Car Park 2a (Enter via Kingsbury Drive, Bundoora)

Aloisi encouraged by Kewell’s first Heart run-out

By Iain Strachan

07/08/2013 9:26:00 PM

303425_heroa.jpg

Back in Australia and back in action, the former Leeds and Liverpool man has enjoyed his maiden outing in red and white, drawing the approval of his ex-Socceroo team-mate

John Aloisi says he was impressed by what he saw from Harry Kewell in the star recruit's first pre-season appearance for Melbourne Heart on Wednesday.

Kewell came off the bench to play a part in Heart's 12-0 friendly win over a La Trobe University XI at Epping Stadium, laying on assists for Dylan Macallister and Iain Ramsay in the second half.

It was the latest step on a long road back to full fitness for the experienced 34-year-old, who has played just three competitive games in an injury replacement loan spell at Al Gharafa since leaving Melbourne Victory in 2012.

"I thought it was quite good for his first game for a while," Heart coach Aloisi said.

"He's been training hard for the last month and it was about time he got to play some football and I thought he did well. He combined well with a few of the players around him. Now it's just [a case of] players getting used to his style of play.

"You saw [from] some of the through balls and some of the goals he set up that he's got that quality that we want in a player and that's why we got Harry.

When asked what the priority was now for Kewell in terms of preparation, Aloisi said: "It's a little bit of everything.

His fitness is going to improve. He's feeling heavy because we're working him very hard. His match rhythm will come because we're playing more games - we've got a lot of friendly games to come up now - and Harry will play in most of them, if not all of them.

"And then just the understanding with his team-mates, a lot of the players have played together before but when you've got new players around you have to get used to their style of play. You saw with the ball he put through for Gol [Golgol Mebrahtu], Gol was sort of not expecting it.

"Once Gol plays with Harry a little bit more he'll know that's coming and he [Harry] can do that. That will come with more training and more games together.

"Harry will play a lot of football and he'll be ready when the season comes around."

According to Aloisi, Heart are getting closer to bringing in their key transfer target, a holding player capable of protecting the backline and helping to build attacks.

"A defensive midfielder is our priority at the moment and hopefully we can get that over the line in the next week," he said.

Finally, when quizzed on who is leading the race to skipper the team in 2013-14, Aloisi said: "There's plenty of time to decide on that, there's lots of leaders out there at the moment.

"The new players that have come in, you saw Mas (Massimo Murdocca), he's a great professional and also very well liked amongst the group, Harry of course, Rob Wielaert, he was captain of FC Twente, so I'm not going to be short in terms of who I want to put in as captain. We'll decide that toward the end of pre-season.

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2013/08/07/4171218/aloisi-encouraged-by-kewells-first-heart-run-out

Edited by Murfy1

Heart in Cruyff link

Date August 9, 2013   Michael Lynch  

Barcelona, Ajax - and Melbourne Heart? Not names that are usually associated with each other.

But a flying visit to Australia by Heart's former coach John van 't Schip could see a link developed, at least tangentially, through the Cruyff Football coaching and academy program.

Van 't Schip left Heart after guiding the club to the finals in its second season to link up with his mentor Cruyff for a short-lived spell at Chivas Guadalajara in Mexico. He is due to land in Melbourne on Saturday.

The coach, a former Ajax and Holland national team star, has family in the city. But he is also planning to visit Heart to talk to his successor John Aloisi and to look at the potential to establish the Cruyff Football coaching set-up in Australia, with Heart acting as an A-League link.''John will be dropping in to see how things are and to offer advice or bounce ideas off if needed,'' said Heart CEO Scott Munn. 

''We have been talking to him about developing the player pathway in Australia and we will be talking about potential opportunities with Cruyff Football.''

Heart has always had a strong Dutch link courtesy of its founding coach and the club will look to Europe to fill one, if not both, of the two remaining foreign player spots on its roster for the 2013-14 season.

Aloisi is looking for a controlling midfielder and another central striker to replace Josip Tadic.

Having signed Harry Kewell, who had his first hit-out in red and white on Wednesday in a game against a team of La Trobe University students, Heart is confident the former Socceroo has arrived in plenty of time to have a big pre-season and make a major impact from the start of the A-League.

Edited by Murfy1