Melbourne Football

Jonatan Germano

Red or Dead

In the keep Germano camp, IF he's actually commited to getting his aus citizenship to become a non-visa player.

Can deal with another season of him being a visa player for the potential reward of having him outside the cap for the rest of his career as a loyalty player. He's pretty much at that perfect level where he is good at a-league level but won't be disappearing overseas any time soon.

• Like 6

Herald Sun reporting that Germano is an injury replacement player for our very own godfather of soul. Makes me wonder for how long / if we get another visa player

http://heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/ffa-cup-2015-patrick-kisnorbo-to-lead-injury-ravaged-melbourne-city-in-opening-tie/story-fnk6rlg0-1227468723150

Edited by mattyh001

Herald Sun reporting that Germano is an injury replacement player for our very own king of soul. Makes me wonder for how long / if we get another visa player

http://heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/ffa-cup-2015-patrick-kisnorbo-to-lead-injury-ravaged-melbourne-city-in-opening-tie/story-fnk6rlg0-1227468723150

How does this fit with "like with like" for injury replacement players?

Our 3 contracted visa players are Koren, Hughes, Novillo. If Germano gets counted as a fourth, then we cannot sign both Fornaroli and Sorensen (assuming we are hoping to sign both) while Germano remains. If Germano is not counted as a visa player because he is an injury replacement then it means the "like for like" rule (which I'm told exists) does not apply.

That's the dilemma as I see it.

Edited by jw1739

Perhaps this is why the Tuna and Sorensen signing are taking so freaking long to be announced. If we leave their visa spots open until they're absolutely ready to arrive here, we can sign Germano as on a temporary deal. Then when they get here, Germano moves aside and could get moved to another injury replacement spot in the event one of our other visas are out injured during the season

Perhaps this is why the Tuna and Sorensen signing are taking so freaking long to be announced. If we leave their visa spots open until they're absolutely ready to arrive here, we can sign Germano as on a temporary deal. Then when they get here, Germano moves aside and could get moved to another injury replacement spot in the event one of our other visas are out injured during the season

Koren?.

it doesnt sound as if his iinjury is serious enough to be injury replaced. 

Wishful thinking I guess. The more I think about this bloke the more he pisses me off. Its probably an over reaction but this guy should be our most important and valuable player but he just is underwhelming and now to be out with another injury is just the final nail.

IMO van 't Schip is too cautious, too soft, and needs a ready-made excuse if we lose tonight. For example, Franjic says he's ready to play but van 't Schip says he needs another week. Another week to get a knock in some stupid training drill more likely.

All we're asking from these blokes is a maximum of 35 matches in a year assuming we can go all the way in both competitions. Not a big ask when we consider many countries play for 10 months per year. Bit of hardening up required methinks. We wonder why we can't attract more season-ticket holders and more people to our matches, and unavailable players are one reason.

IMO van 't Schip is too cautious, too soft, and needs a ready-made excuse if we lose tonight. For example, Franjic says he's ready to play but van 't Schip says he needs another week. Another week to get a knock in some stupid training drill more likely.

All we're asking from these blokes is a maximum of 35 matches in a year assuming we can go all the way in both competitions. Not a big ask when we consider many countries play for 10 months per year. Bit of hardening up required methinks. We wonder why we can't attract more season-ticket holders and more people to our matches, and unavailable players are one reason.

TBH tho, who gives a shit about tonights game?

As long as we don't lose, which we shouldn't get even close, people don't give a shit about A League teams at this stage of the FFA Cup. It's all about the local sides really until we reach the quarter finals, beating up on a minnow ain't gonna do squat for our memberships.

Regardless of whether Koren or Franjic were playing, it'd be a disgrace if we found a way to lose tonight. Getting players right for the next month is a calculated risk that I'd certainly be taking in August.

TBH tho, who gives a shit about tonights game?

As long as we don't lose, which we shouldn't get even close, people don't give a shit about A League teams at this stage of the FFA Cup. It's all about the local sides really until we reach the quarter finals, beating up on a minnow ain't gonna do squat for our memberships.

Regardless of whether Koren or Franjic were playing, it'd be a disgrace if we found a way to lose tonight. Getting players right for the next month is a calculated risk that I'd certainly be taking in August.

IMO there's one overwhelming reason for caring about tonight's match, and that's because we are in direct competition with that other Melbourne A-League club. For the hearts and minds of the people of Melbourne. It's a matter of pride in what you do and prestige in the no. 1 city for football in Australia. That's why every match we play has an importance greater than the mere result.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

IMO there's one overwhelming reason for caring about tonight's match, and that's because we are in direct competition with that other Melbourne A-League club. For the hearts and minds of the people of Melbourne. It's a matter of pride in what you do and prestige in the no. 1 city for football in Australia. That's why every match we play has an importance greater than the mere result.

Understand what you're saying.

More getting at the fact media coverage will be nothing for this game unless we lose, and nothing will be won by how we play either. The media story, as it should be, will be with a minnow with something to prove.

I'll certainly watch with interest, as will most hardcore City fans, but your average fan won't bother and won't care unless we are knocked out.

Edited by bt50

Our 3 contracted visa players are Koren, Hughes, Novillo. If Germano gets counted as a fourth, then we cannot sign both Fornaroli and Sorensen (assuming we are hoping to sign both) while Germano remains. If Germano is not counted as a visa player because he is an injury replacement then it means the "like for like" rule (which I'm told exists) does not apply.

That's the dilemma as I see it.

Could say Brown is a winger or a midfielder, could say Germano is a winger or a midfielder. Probably an easy one to get around unless it's blatantly obvious eg a striker for a keeper. 

He'll be eligible for Australian citizenship on the 5th of September, give or take a week. 

We're fully intending on signing him outside of the VISA players cap, we're just waiting until he actually completes the formalities to make it official. 

tbh I'm happy with this, he wouldn't command big wages and he can cover a lot of positions. Only issue will be staying fit

• Like 1

Citizenship in September? Eligable for Salary Cap Loyalty allowance next Season. Everything's coming up Shony! 

Having him cost nothing within the cap nor taking up a visa place would make him very valuable to the club for the 10 games a season he'll play. Not to mention all of his hours working as the clubs spanish translator. 

Seriously though I love the way he goes about it when on the park and he's a lovely guy so hopefully it all works out for both parties. 

• 3 weeks later...

is this what is holding up the final visa signing?

I suspect so.

One possible scenario is that once Germano gets Australian citizenship he might be re-signed as a local player, and Sorensen (or other) can then be officially signed as a visa player.

Edited by jw1739

I suspect so.

One possible scenario is that once Germano gets Australian citizenship he might be re-signed as a local player, and Sorensen (or other) can then be officially signed as a visa player.

What I'm guessing:

In 4 days Sorensen is official.

Germano sticks around, training etc., and if we are eligible to sign an injury replacement, he'll take that position up and get to play, if not he'll just train.

Once he has citizenship, he'll sign.

By the way, where is all this talk of citizenship coming from? So is he already a PR? Because my understanding of the FFA rules are that a player with PR, along with some other conditions that Germano meets AFAIK, would not count as a visa player. Is it his PR that he is actually getting?

What I'm guessing:

In 4 days Sorensen is official.

Germano sticks around, training etc., and if we are eligible to sign an injury replacement, he'll take that position up and get to play, if not he'll just train.

Once he has citizenship, he'll sign.

By the way, where is all this talk of citizenship coming from? So is he already a PR? Because my understanding of the FFA rules are that a player with PR, along with some other conditions that Germano meets AFAIK, would not count as a visa player. Is it his PR that he is actually getting?

Good question. As I've said before my one and only chat with him I did not come away thinking that he was going to remain in Oz. To me this is pure speculation.

• Like 1

Good question. As I've said before my one and only chat with him I did not come away thinking that he was going to remain in Oz. To me this is pure speculation.

I posted in the same vein a while ago (heard it all before). The only thing that makes me wonder is that he's still hanging around.

i thought he'd be off playing somewhere else by now. Why he isn't, when he seemingly isnt wanted is surprising& perhaps supports the interpretation that there is more in it.

(before some one says oh he's wanted as an injury replacement, it's no where near the same and in fact most people would take that as an insult)

This is not meant to be a facetious question (and apologies if asked before) but how long does an injury have to last to allow us to promote an injury replacement?  If Novillo has a grade 2 hamstring then that's four weeks on average.  Throw in a marquee with an injury record last year, an ageing centreback into the squad and an ageing goalkeeper likely to be signed, I think there's a pretty high likelihood one of our visa players will be down at various stages for most of the season ?

Can we keep him as a serial injury replacement?  Handy player to have around.

I'm sure FFA have to approve injury replacement players on a case by case basis.

The senior and youth squads are there to provide replacement players for the first-choice senior team in cases of sickness and short-term injuries. Various clubs have been looked at in the past regarding the injury replacement process. What you're suggesting is effectively increasing the senior squad by one player, and I'm sure FFA would look at this as bending the rules.

No Jw I think lots of clubs have extra players hanging around who aren't contracted. Typically they are trialists who received no public acknowledgment as to their existence. I would have thought any financial arrangement with those trialists would be a matter for the club. When/if they are added to the A League squad they then need to conform to the various rules (visa, cap etc). Obviously they can't play a competitive match without being in the official squad.

No Jw I think lots of clubs have extra players hanging around who aren't contracted. Typically they are trialists who received no public acknowledgment as to their existence. I would have thought any financial arrangement with those trialists would be a matter for the club. When/if they are added to the A League squad they then need to conform to the various rules (visa, cap etc). Obviously they can't play a competitive match without being in the official squad.

Well, I thinking you're actually reinforcing my point with your last sentence. Germano has definitely been hanging around the club - indeed he's still on the web-site as part of the squad (although that doesn't mean a lot really) but I think I'm right in saying that he's been nowhere near our squad for a competitive match.

Well, I thinking you're actually reinforcing my point with your last sentence. Germano has definitely been hanging around the club - indeed he's still on the web-site as part of the squad (although that doesn't mean a lot really) but I think I'm right in saying that he's been nowhere near our squad for a competitive match.

Came off the bench against Edgeworth.

• Like 1

sounds like we agree with each other then, so I either didn't read your post properly or didn't understand it.

Bt - he can play at the moment because he's an injury replacement and takes the 5th visa spot. He'll be back to full time translator duties soon.

• Like 1