Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart Financial Talk

MrAiDaN66

I'm not sure the buying decent players argument flies anymore, Western Sydney has shown that with the right coaching, a team of pretty stock standard players can do a lot, is a matter of playing to their strengths.

Michael Holding was commenting a cricket match when he said "there are two canals outside the ground, and he's hit that ball to the far canal". Well done Tommykins - you've hit that for six. There are soooo many teams around the world with limited budgets and poor facilities which impede player payments and the ability to attract "stars". Yet they punch above their weight. Their success can be attributed to a sound culture and strong leadership. It's early days in our history, but this is where the gold is. This is where we are failing.

• Like 1

I'm not sure the buying decent players argument flies anymore, Western Sydney has shown that with the right coaching, a team of pretty stock standard players can do a lot, is a matter of playing to their strengths.

Michael Holding was commenting a cricket match when he said "there are two canals outside the ground, and he's hit that ball to the far canal". Well done Tommykins - you've hit that for six. There are soooo many teams around the world with limited budgets and poor facilities which impede player payments and the ability to attract "stars". Yet they punch above their weight. Their success can be attributed to a sound culture and strong leadership. It's early days in our history, but this is where the gold is. This is where we are failing.

Swansea City is an example here, limited budget, but a good coach, good mentality and culture, and guess what. They are 9th at the moment in only their second PL season, they won a cup after beating the likes of Chelsea and they are going through to the Europa league next year.

People on this forum fail to understand and accept... Football is the product that people buy whilst there is some argument that suggest improving the game day experience would help, at the end of the day pre game entertainment, media interview, marketing campaign for each game all go out the window and the Football takes centre stage and it's what people remember and talk about post game...

Football is the product and that includes good and exciting players, a fit and firing team, and of course a good coach to bring all this together. Do we have that in JA? IMO No

I support comments about the Heart under achieving this season. Think about this.. if we would have got the 3pts against Wellington in Rd 2, and the 3pts against the Jets (3-3) draw and got the win against Syd Fc (0-0) draw that's 6pts extra we would have now and I dare say comfortably sitting in 5th ... Is that not realistic? Is that completly out of the question? So we have under achieved ...

If the money argument is true, then why did we talk of finals football at the beginning of the season, why did the Media have us in the 6 ...

My point about all this is ... Open your eyes and look at the season, stop making excusses to cover what Is painfully obvious... would our crowds be down if we were in the top 4 now? Would our membership be low if we were competing for the primiers plate? I don't think so.. If this was the case our home crowds would be about 12k and our membership would be up not just for this season but for next as well...

• Like 6

Swansea City is an example here, limited budget, but a good coach, good mentality and culture, and guess what. They are 9th at the moment in only their second PL season, they won a cup after beating the likes of Chelsea and they are going through to the Europa league next year.

Swansea carefully built a team of mostly young players under Brendan Rogers, play a consistent style and have continued to recruit well. This is the secret to their success, not as simple as the coach. Michael Laudrup has done well at Swansea but failed at several clubs in Spain prior to coming to the EPL. I think that the idea was to compensate for the coaching inexperience by adding experience on the pitch this season - great idea but we added experience without on field leadership

Swansea carefully built a team of mostly young players under Brendan Rogers, play a consistent style and have continued to recruit well. This is the secret to their success, not as simple as the coach. Michael Laudrup has done well at Swansea but failed at several clubs in Spain prior to coming to the EPL. I think that the idea was to compensate for the coaching inexperience by adding experience on the pitch this season - great idea but we added experience without on field leadership

I know that's what Swansea did, I just couldn't explain it as well as you haha :P.

People on this forum fail to understand and accept... Football is the product that people buy whilst there is some argument that suggest improving the game day experience would help, at the end of the day pre game entertainment, media interview, marketing campaign for each game all go out the window and the Football takes centre stage and it's what people remember and talk about post game...

Football is the product and that includes good and exciting players, a fit and firing team, and of course a good coach to bring all this together. Do we have that in JA? IMO No

I support comments about the Heart under achieving this season. Think about this.. if we would have got the 3pts against Wellington in Rd 2, and the 3pts against the Jets (3-3) draw and got the win against Syd Fc (0-0) draw that's 6pts extra we would have now and I dare say comfortably sitting in 5th ... Is that not realistic? Is that completly out of the question? So we have under achieved ...

If the money argument is true, then why did we talk of finals football at the beginning of the season, why did the Media have us in the 6 ...

My point about all this is ... Open your eyes and look at the season, stop making excusses to cover what Is painfully obvious... would our crowds be down if we were in the top 4 now? Would our membership be low if we were competing for the primiers plate? I don't think so.. If this was the case our home crowds would be about 12k and our membership would be up not just for this season but for next as well...

Well summarised! 

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

more money should be spent on the squad and the football department, forget the community engagement stuff for now theres only so much more we can do off the field to attract new fans. now is the time for our team to start performing on a consistent basis and to deliver on the clubs promise of an attractive playing style. this IMO will get us better attendances rather than running kids clinics in the outer suburbs or little pissy ads in the herald scum.

all ON FIELD matters should be the clubs number 1 focus going into next season.

more money should be spent on the squad and the football department, forget the community engagement stuff for now theres only so much more we can do off the field to attract new fans. now is the time for our team to start performing on a consistent basis and to deliver on the clubs promise of an attractive playing style. this IMO will get us better attendances rather than running kids clinics in the outer suburbs or little pissy ads in the herald scum.

all ON FIELD matters should be the clubs number 1 focus going into next season.

community engagement is of course important especially amongst kids that already play for their local team, but yes, people wanna support a team that wins, is dominant and is exciting to follow, not depressing.  Especially when there is a more successful and bigger alternative in the same city.

Although breaking even is obviously great, it must not be the sole objective of the club as it seems to be atm.  Winning must be priority number 1 - ESPECIALLY is a salary capped league

Edited by dazman

We may be poor but how many aleague teams have a moat around their HQ? amiright?

You know... I have been there, and noticed this. Didn't even stand out in my head as a "thing" but now that you bring it up... it's a bit of a wtf! haha. love it

It goes around the whole campus. They tested the water once, the science faculty did. Its full of cum hahaha

• 1 month later...

A-League football clubs lost close to $20 million in the season just completed, adding to the almost $27 million the teams lost in the 2011-12 season.

It is understood that Melbourne Victory was the only club to record a small profit for the 2012-13 season, although Melbourne Heart and Adelaide United reportedly broke even.

Grand finalists the Wanderers and champions the Central Coast Mariners also recorded losses of more than $1 million respectively, with the Mariners already moving to restructure under new majority owner Mike Charlesworth, who sacked chief executive John McKay last week.

http://www.afr.com/p/lifestyle/sport/league_season_score_down_UfyEAJU3a6IzQjBPsaNO9J

Edited by KSK_47

we finished 9th too? hahahahaha  ;)

• Like 1

A-League football clubs lost close to $20 million in the season just completed, adding to the almost $27 million the teams lost in the 2011-12 season.

It is understood that Melbourne Victory was the only club to record a small profit for the 2012-13 season, although Melbourne Heart and Adelaide United reportedly broke even.

presumably player sales aren't counted in our 'break even' otherwise where was the money spent?

Grand finalists the Wanderers and champions the Central Coast Mariners also recorded losses of more than $1 million respectively, with the Mariners already moving to restructure under new majority owner Mike Charlesworth, who sacked chief executive John McKay last week.

http://www.afr.com/p/lifestyle/sport/league_season_score_down_UfyEAJU3a6IzQjBPsaNO9J

Most clubs won't brake even unless they are averaging 10 000- 15 000 in crowds a year. Even though signing Del pierro for Sydney for example, they would've had bigger crowd's as well as more merchandise sold however, all that money to get him here took out all the profit. Maybe after next year they might break even.

They should just move CCM. Fans are pathetic, there only getting 6-7k a game even though they have been one of the most successful clubs in the a-league for a while

I wonder if there is some forethought to the club breaking even in the past few seasons, with the new TV deal that is in place, they're in a fairly good position to expand.

I have heard this mentioned before actually and it is very clever thinking if true. Would (hopefully) regain a lot of lost trust in the club from many of its members.

They should just move CCM. Fans are pathetic, there only getting 6-7k a game even though they have been one of the most successful clubs in the a-league for a while

They should just move Melbourne Heart. Fans are pathetic, they're only getting 5-7k a game even though they have a population in excess of 4 million to draw from.

• Like 2

They should just move Melbourne Heart. Fans are pathetic, they're only getting 5-7k a game even though they have a population in excess of 4 million to draw from.

:D

If we consistently win games nest season, we will average a crowd of 15k easily 

Does that mean Perth, Newy, Brisbane, Sydney and the Nux lost an average of 3.6 million each? If so we've got a long way to go until clubs are sustainable.

My understanding is that that's exactly what it means. After everything was totted up, the money flowing out of the 10 clubs was $20m more than the money flowing into the clubs. Meaning the owners collectively lost $20m.

Exactly. Anyone who says CCM fans are pathetic is lacking logic. Considering their population base, CCM are doing pretty damn good. 

So it's now a fact that one of the pillars of the club, its finances, are solid. Hopefully we can now focus more on the football.

Also, it has to be said that it's a decent achievement by Heart to be one of only three A-League clubs to break even or make a profit this season. Especially when most other clubs a losing a few million each (and even the two grand finalists, the Wanderers and the Mariners, lost more than 1 million each). And whilst ensuring the finances are stable is only one part of management, it is a necessary and important part of managing a football club.