Melbourne Football

There's something in the water..

MHFC-FAN

Just some reflection on the season so far.

Home form this season has been solid...

11 games played HOME - Won: 7 - Drawn: 2 - Lost: 2 - GF: 22 - GA: 12

11 games played AWAY - Won: 1 - Drawn: 1 - Lost: 9 - GF: 7 - GA: 18

Is it all just mental when we play away or are we just really unlucky...there have been a few games that we were leading away/home and the results could have been quite different!

Either way i would trade a win away for a win at home any day! ;)

Kalmar said in his recent interview they are getting to NZ a day before the game this time. that seems to suggest they get there the same day normally for away games? :/ If this is the case no wonder we dont win away

I think they get there the day before the matches, which is a rest day.

In this case, they're getting there a day earlier, so they have a full day of training before the match.

Collingwood travel? :P

I digress, yes other leagues can help. I am no rugby league fan, but whatever the Melbourne Storm are doing in all operations, we need to get on that. Best sporting team in Australia bar none. I would love for our club to link up sporting wise with them. Their culture is immense.

It is all mental. Attack the game with intensity and we will win away from home. Play a defensive mindset from the start and we will falter.

• Like 1

I think JA needs to talk to people from other codes who travel well. Eg - Melbourne Storm or Collingwood to see what they do.

I know it's different sport but the general idea and practice is still the same

Collingwood?

You gotta be kidding me, what about asking the WCE on what they did in their glory days is more like it...

It is all mental. Attack the game with intensity and we will win away from home. Play a defensive mindset from the start and we will falter.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. Our problem is lack of intensity.

And it's not just away from home.

Taking nothing away from our win over Sydney on Sunday...but when we came out for the second half we sat deeper immediately and were sloppy for periods throughout the half - JA even commented on it and the need to 'put teams away.' And when Sydney were down to 10 men it was they who scored and not us. In that heat with 11 against 10 we should have run them into the ground and really walloped them.

• Like 1

My brother who is not a huge advocate of the A League, kept telling me the reason WSW are so good and we struggle is simply intensity. They play with it all the time, we do not.

When we do, we look very good. Hence why in derbies I guess we seem better, intensity is up.

JA needs to stop thinking of protecting a loss against opposition and start the mindset of beating opponents. Release the shackles. Get at it and let the players play.

Our away strip should only really be used as a 'clash' strip and that would only be against Adelaide, WSW, Newcastle and Perth. White shorts and socks against Adelaide and red shorts and socks against WSW, Newcastle and Perth.

Red & White stripes do not clash with navy blue, yellow & black, yellow & blue, sky blue or orange so we should wear our home strip against these teams.

In all seriousness we should use the third strip this weekend, or our home strip. The away sash has become synonymous with failure. Mix it up and try anything different. Nothing has worked so far and the sense of foreboding with the sash would be real.

The players should be shown replays of our heroics at Hindmarsh in 2010/11, straight up Clockwork Orange-style.

Long live the sash

• Like 1

It's not my fucken fault. Geez, everyone just loves those stripes. Well they weren't doing much until a few weeks ago. While the sash carried us last year! Had my chance at finals glory too until they took the stripes. How did that work out?

Although to be honest, I do find the third strip a worthy alternative.

In all seriousness we should use the third strip this weekend, or our home strip. The away sash has become synonymous with failure. Mix it up and try anything different. Nothing has worked so far and the sense of foreboding with the sash would be real.

The players should be shown replays of our heroics at Hindmarsh in 2010/11, straight up Clockwork Orange-style.

Long live the sash

Actually mentioned this to JA after the Fan Forum... said to him perhaps he could remind/use that one as an example of never say die!

Obviously hasn't done that yet haha

• Like 1

Collingwood travel well because they only do it three or four times a year and when they do half the time it's against spastics who need the attendance boost, like Gold Coast, GWS and Port. :up:

Just for the record....and to add actual facts into a good argument even though not related to Heart.

Collingwood Interstate Games for Home and Away rounds

2008 - Brisbane (L), Sydney (w), Port Adelaide (w), Fremantle (L) - 4 games

2009 - Brisbane (w), West Coast (w), Sydney (w), Adelaide (w) - 4 games

2010 - Fremantle (w), Brisbane (L), Sydney (w), Port Adelaide (w) - 4 games

2011 - Sydney (w), Gold Coast (w), Port (w), Fremantle (w) - 4 games

2012 - Brisbane (w), Adelaide (w), GWS (w), Sydney (w), West Coast (L) - 5 games

2013 - Fremantle, Brisbane, Port Adelaide, Gold Coast, Sydney - 5 games

You want Collingwood to travel even more interstate? Then the result will be the other 9 Victorian clubs will loose playing a home game against Collingwood.

Edited by TheGaffer

Long live the sash

Actually mentioned this to JA after the Fan Forum... said to him perhaps he could remind/use that one as an example of never say die!

Obviously hasn't done that yet haha

Now that was an awesome game to be at...

Good memories Bozza and a great photo with Colosimo to go with it ;)

• Like 1

Collingwood travel well because they only do it three or four times a year and when they do half the time it's against spastics who need the attendance boost, like Gold Coast, GWS and Port. :up:

Just for the record....and to add actual facts into a good argument even though not related to Heart.

Collingwood Interstate Games for Home and Away rounds

2008 - Brisbane (L), Sydney (w), Port Adelaide (w), Fremantle (L) - 4 games

2009 - Brisbane (w), West Coast (w), Sydney (w), Adelaide (w) - 4 games

2010 - Fremantle (w), Brisbane (L), Sydney (w), Port Adelaide (w) - 4 games

2011 - Sydney (w), Gold Coast (w), Port (w), Fremantle (w) - 4 games

2012 - Brisbane (w), Adelaide (w), GWS (w), Sydney (w), West Coast (L) - 5 games

2013 - Fremantle, Brisbane, Port Adelaide, Gold Coast, Sydney - 4 games

You want Collingwood to travel even more interstate? Then the result will be the other 9 Victorian clubs will loose playing a home game against Collingwood.

You really think Cats fans give a crap if we dont get to play Collingwood twice a year. :droy:

Before 2008 for 4 years we only played Collingwood once a season and thus had to wait until 2008 to lose a game to you guys for the first time in five years. :up:

I reckon their is a science to travelling well. it took the Broncos (Rugby league's first "travelling" club) a few seasons to get it right. Adelaide also pretty much threw away an AFL flag by buggering it up years ago -kept losing away games in the last quarter- "the experts" said they had no heart, but it turned out they were stupid enough to travel on game day.

NRL and AFL clubs have been doing this for years now, I would have thought that the "best practices" are well known and (perhaps naively) I assume that we follow them?

Well, that something that was in the water was a turd circling the plug hole.

My only hope is that, given this team manages to pull the unbelievable from nowhere against expectations all season, we come out and hammer Brisbane away followed by thrashing CCM 6-0. We can clutch (no rip!!) defeat from the jaws of victory, so I imagine clutching a "wtf???" win from nowhere is also a possibility?!?!?!

Someone needs to fix this away shit NOW!!

• Like 1

Melbourne Heart coach John Aloisi says he spoke to various AFL clubs for advice on his club’s abysmal away form, following Heart’s 1-0 loss to Wellington in Dunedin last week.

Speaking to media after the club’s final training session before taking on Adelaide on Monday, Aloisi said he looked at the way AFL clubs deal with workload management and sports psychology.“We’ve spoken to some other AFL clubs that travel – what they’re doing, what we’re trying to do in terms of loading, training and then also the sports psych,” Aloisi said.

http://www.mfootball.com.au/aloisi-seeks-cross-code-help-on-away-form/

at least he is asking and pretty much coming out saying he has no clue

I think its a good thing he has gone out and asked for advice. Its clearly a huge issue for us and im glad he is looking for solutions. He is  first year coach and deserves some understanding that he is not going to get everything right in his first year. I can understand why he would stick to his guns until now as although the preformances away have been bad, we havent been smashed, like say Wellington did against sydney or the visitors against ccm which I think with any coach would cloud the issue.