Melbourne Football

JVS - The coach from the land of chronic

Heart Fanatic

I have serious doubts about this guy JVS, smoking too much chronic if you ask me.

Tiki taki you need a very technical and creative team and has been shown up- strike that.

433 is just a formation, it's the movement and transision phases that are important.

Gengen pressing you need a very fit team with tactical awareness, but it's where it's at at the moment.

But I don't really see much in JVS but get the ball to the wings and a lot of running about and reactive play, rather than any type of plan.

There is no filtering play to opponents weakness in ball opposition, there is no tactical/organised press, nor is there any other plan than get it wide.

The smart move would be to sack JVS right now.

This won't work out well, and delaying it will just put us in a worse position.

The worst outcome is that during David Villa's 10 game stint, Villa's individual brilliance will cover up in how bad shape we are, and then when he leaves the wheels will fall off and it will end up being too late.

I'd like to keep JVS around in some other capacity, as he has shown he is skilled in a few areas (for example, youth development) but not as manager.

In b4 "it's only been 1 game", I've seen enough.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 3

People need to calm the fuck down.

From the get go we haven't taken the FFA cup seriously, Ramsey at LB? Hoffman RB? Williams starting? James Brown playing?Do people really think these are players spots are now permanent in the team for the rest of the season? We didn't even play with a striker yesterday and still scored, just shows you how much JVS cares about the FFA cup

We haven't even made all our signing's yet and people are already throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Relax. It's one game. I'm not saying not be critical of yesterdays performance because as supporters you have the right to be, but have some faith in JVS. I'm just as sceptical as anyone else here about JVS but the bloke hasn't even been given a go yet.

I just question JVS' game plan:

Knock ball to wings, cross it in. Repeat until final whistle. 

That happened so many times it frustrated me.

Gooch coming on and running through the middle, twisting in and out of defenders was great and gave Sydney a scare. 

I just don't understand who the ball was being crossed in to - surely he didn't think Willo's head would guide the ball into the net against Sydney's big ass CBs?

Is it JVS' fault? Or are our wingers dead shits (inc. Ramsey)? Or both?

• Like 1

From the get go we haven't taken the FFA cup seriously, Ramsey at LB? Hoffman RB? Williams starting? James Brown playing?Do people really think these are players spots are now permanent in the team for the rest of the season? We didn't even play with a striker yesterday and still scored, just shows you how much JVS cares about the FFA cup

We haven't even made all our signing's yet and people are already throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Relax. It's one game. I'm not saying not be critical of yesterdays performance because as supporters you have the right to be, but have some faith in JVS. I'm just as sceptical as anyone else here about JVS but the bloke hasn't even been given a go yet.

If so, he's even more of a dick! This is the inaugural FFA cup that has been four years in the making, if that's not important to him, fuck him.

There's nothing wrong with Williams in this FFA cup game, he just never saw the ball unless he dropped deep, he was playing like a false 9 in the end, dropping ever deeper to get in the game.

There is a lot organisational that was lacking and a lot more besides.

Edited by moops

Who else has he signed for LB and RB besides these hacks?

JVS has coached two and half A-League seasons but you think he still has not been given a go yet?

You sound like a Horse Trainer who has a new excuse every week for the owners why their horse has never had a fair go at winning race after race.

The one thing I will say regarding jvs and his tactics is if we are going to be playing this system where we have our wingers and fullbacks overlapping then surely those positions would be a priority to get right. Ramsey is probably the worst player out of all of them. I still don't mind Hoffman as he has proven to be reliable and rarely makes mistakes, however he isn't potent enough going forward. But surely if you are going to play this style of play you need players in the fullback positions that are more capable, especially on that left hand side.

JVS has coached two and half A-League seasons but you think he still has not been given a go yet?

You sound like a Horse Trainer who has a new excuse every week for the owners why their horse has never had a fair go at winning race after race.

If it makes you feel better City sacked Mancini a season after winning the league so doubt they would keep JVS if we don't finish top 4.

The constant crossing wouldn't be anywhere near as bad if we had more than one wide player (Duff) who has any sort of proven track record of delivering accurate crosses.

Mate's delivery from the wings is absolutely atrocious and Ramsey's is no better. If we'd had Villa out there last night we still would have struggled as he'd have gotten no service at all.

I just question JVS' game plan:

Knock ball to wings, cross it in. Repeat until final whistle. 

That happened so many times it frustrated me.

Gooch coming on and running through the middle, twisting in and out of defenders was great and gave Sydney a scare. 

I just don't understand who the ball was being crossed in to - surely he didn't think Willo's head would guide the ball into the net against Sydney's big ass CBs?

Is it JVS' fault? Or are our wingers dead shits (inc. Ramsey)? Or both?

If we are going to cross the ball from wide positions then we need

accurate fast balls

they need to be delivered behind the central defenders

we need to have players in the box with aerial ability who can either head the ball into goal or flick it on to other players

Last night we had poor quality crosses apart from Duff, Ramsay in particular was poor, Hoffman was largely absent in the attacking half

We had too few players in positions to receive the ball and too few options, especially with sash Og organising a tight back 4

We didn't have players with aerial ability in the box often enough

Alternatively, as were little of an aerial threat we could have delivered low balls but we didn't.

The Sydney team was just as much not their best 11 as ours was, so there is no excuse there.

JVS just has no adaptability, same fucking tactics every time, not that they are bad tactics, but by now every other team knows what his going to do. Tactics must adapt to the opposition and the players we have available.

The Sydney team was just as much not their best 11 as ours was, so there is no excuse there.

JVS just has no adaptability, same fucking tactics every time, not that they are bad tactics, but by now every other team knows what his going to do. Tactics must adapt to the opposition and the players we have available.

The tactics aren't the problem as such, nor does it matter that other teams know how you are going to play, lots of teams are in that position, the problem is that we don't have players that can execute those tactics: we need players who can stay compact, players who can accurately cross the ball, players who can position themselves in the box, players who can kick straight and players who can execute the game plan at speed when required during the game.

The tactics aren't the problem as such, nor does it matter that other teams know how you are going to play, lots of teams are in that position, the problem is that we don't have players that can execute those tactics: we need players who can stay compact, players who can accurately cross the ball, players who can position themselves in the box, players who can kick straight and players who can execute the game plan at speed when required during the game.

I think we have a good squad on paper. If those aren't the right players for JVS' tactics then he should have either recruited different players or he needs to adapt his tactics to suit them.

There are no excuses this season, he has the resources now. I just don't see him doing the job, we need to be challenging for the titles, not just reaching the finals.

If it was a new manager, i'd be all for giving them ample time, but I think JVS is somewhat lucky to have kept the job (he did show some signs of promise last season but now that we have the resources to get a really good manager that probably shouldn't have been enough for him to stay), so I don't think he deserves much time. He needs to prove himself quickly, otherwise we have to assume he isn't going to do anything better with all the resources at his disposal now, and he has to go.

There is too much at risk right now, we've attracted many new members and gained a lot of attention, if we don't win games it will be disastrous.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 3

One of the biggest problems that Melbourne Heart had right from the start was for some bizarre reason the club chose to pursue a style of play in that of "Attacking Football the Dutch Way" before the team had even kicked a ball in anger against any A-League opponent. 

Not surprisingly this arrogant, over confident and ultimately disrespectful approach to the Competition never yield us any results besides a couple of few ultimately unprofitable winning streaks along the journey.

In his second coming as the City Manager I really have not seen little evidence to suggest that JVS is not still following this very set in stone approach we saw at Heart to tackling the league.

The result is that we will continue to be hurt when we come up against the more pragmatic coaches in league like Arnold or Popovic who apply a horses for courses approach to each individual game.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Tbh I've got confidence in JVS to lead us to a good season. I'll make my judgement on him at seasons end

at the end of the day we've played a team who are probably the other favourites to win the league, and we were very evenly matched. There are still players to come into both teams, and a lot of players are still not at full match fitness. We're on the right track, there are players to come in and more signings to be made. Bring on round 1

One of the biggest problems that Melbourne Heart had right from the start was for some bizarre reason the club chose to pursue a style of play in that of "Attacking Football the Dutch Way" before the team had even kicked a ball in anger against any A-League opponent. 

Not surprisingly this arrogant, over confident and ultimately disrespectful approach to the Competition never yield us any results besides a couple of few ultimately unprofitable winning streaks along the journey.

In his second coming as the City Manager I really have not seen little evidence to suggest that JVS is not still following this very set in stone approach we saw at Heart to tackling the league.

The result is that we will continue to be hurt when we come up against the more pragmatic coaches in league like Arnold or Popovic who apply a horses for courses approach to each individual game.

I honestly don't think it's a problem that the club had a philosophy on how they want to play before ever playing a game, in fact I think it's the right way to do things because you have a clear vision and can build everything around that.

However, it wasn't executed successfully and heads should have rolled sooner (and more of them).

Tbh I've got confidence in JVS to lead us to a good season. I'll make my judgement on him at seasons end

at the end of the day we've played a team who are probably the other favourites to win the league, and we were very evenly matched. There are still players to come into both teams, and a lot of players are still not at full match fitness. We're on the right track, there are players to come in and more signings to be made. Bring on round 1

West Sydney have rejected $2.5m for one of their players and 750k for another, bit disrespectful to say us and Sydney are favourites.

JVS hasn't been given a go with serious owners yet, would like to see how you would be able to run a club when all your owners will let you buy is quality players like Maycon and Rutger worm.

Can't defend the LB and RB signing's, I'd assume that my man Benny g will slide into LB unfortunately, after ramsays amazing performance yesterday, you couldn't have him starting their again. What I'd like to know is what happened with all those trialists we had when we were in England playing warm-up matches. Weren't we trialling LB and RB's? Surely we could find a better RB then hoff?

I'm not defending JVS to the death, if you look at my comments on here when he was signed as coach i wasn't too thrilled with it, but their are certain circumstances when coaching for this club he hasn't had like he has now. First 10 games will be very interesting to see what happens if we go to shit but he at least deserves those 10 games to prove that he has what it takes to succeed in this league.

Edited by kingofhearts

Honestly I was stunned when i heard "we were favourites to win the league".

The only people who think so surely didn't see us play last year.  We suffered badly last season because our defense was terrible and our goal keeper was a strong candidate for worst in the league.  Since then our left back has left and the only new blood in the back 5 is a young fella with glandular fever and an even younger guy who might work one day, but is by all accounts very green at present.

There is no way with this squad we will be able to keep things tight and win "whilst playing badly" (that you need to do to win a tight league like this).  Duff Mooy Koren and Villa are gonig to need to score a shed load of goals to even keep us in the top half of the league.

• Like 1

I honestly don't think it's a problem that the club had a philosophy on how they want to play before ever playing a game, in fact I think it's the right way to do things because you have a clear vision and can build everything around that.

However, it wasn't executed successfully and heads should have rolled sooner (and more of them).

I agree, but Dutch football is called 'total football', but we have never really played total football ever.

For the first time we saw two players swap positions in Dugandzic and Duff, though why I really don't know why? They offer nothing different to each other, than skill level.

If you take Bayern Munchen for an extreme example (where under Jupp Hynkes played more total football) where Ribbery and Robben would swap, Ribbery is more likely to put in a cross or a cut back, where Robben is more likely to run into the box or cut inside.

They offer a different game and would upset defences because of it and when they swapped would offer the defence different troubles.

The only wing forward we have that is inclined to cut in and offer something different is Garuccio, otherwise all our wingers play the same and it makes it easier for defences to predict our play.

The Hoff does and can cut in successfully, though only does it once a game and deosn't know what to do once he gets there, or no one has gone with him to offer a pass or a 1-2. If I was JVS, I would be having him do this a lot in training, so he knows what to do once he gets there and our midfield knows what movement would offer opportunity. I would like him to do this maybe three times each 45 mins to offer something different, drag a defender out of position etc.

The FFA cup game there was a one two played for the first time, or in a very long time! From memory it was Gooch and Kalmar which saw Kalmar in space.

Our midfield is so static it's not funny and has always been a big bugbear of mine. Adelaide are great to watch, creating triangles, diagonal passes and one two's. This is all about movement and creating multiple passing opportunities other than backwards, this is simple stuff that I learnt at 12 that was important.

I have never seen the winger on the opposite side to where the ball is being played, slot in at the back post as a second striker, nor have I seen our AMC move in to the box to drag a defender out of position or offer another option. Likewise a central midfielder on the edge of the box for a cut back, knock on or poor clearance.

We have never played total football and I only pointed out some simple attacking movement that we have always lacked and when I see our new shiny videos and see only ball handling drills I want to shout bloody Nora, train some tactical movement and transitions!

I hear some say, well the FFA cup is early in pre-season, we're ruff around the edges. How much pre-season do clubs in Europe get? And yet they manage well enough, pre-season is about getting tactics right, if you can't handle a ball you shouldn't be in the first team anyway.

The focus should be tactics and match fitness and I do not see any progress from last year. Compare AU with Gombau with us, or to their previous year, they were miles apart at the start of the season.

I do have doubts about JVS because of the movement hasn't improved or transisions of play, nor the quickness (in fact Aloisi had us playing forward quicker and our transision into attack was quicker).

• Like 3

First point, it's not the first time we have seen two players swap positions during a game. Jvs did this during his first stint as heart coach. Secondly, you can't be serious when saying aloisi transitioned quicker into attack. Just give me a chance to hoof the damn ball down the pitch 60 yards and my transition into attack would be quick as well.

• Like 2

First point, it's not the first time we have seen two players swap positions during a game. Jvs did this during his first stint as heart coach. Secondly, you can't be serious when saying aloisi transitioned quicker into attack. Just give me a chance to hoof the damn ball down the pitch 60 yards and my transition into attack would be quick as well.

Enlighten me, who swapped position?

Yes well that was the main way of getting the ball forward I agree, but I do think our transition into attack was also more direct and quicker, as we looked to play on the counter.

It is 3-4 years ago so I'd have to watch the games again to see who they were.

All good mate, it could be my memory, but I can't recall a time, so not having a go.

I remember fb pushing up, or players running to a new position and having to play there for a bit, but not intended swapping.

But it's a moot point and not entirely the whole. It was ineffectual, it made no difference to the defense who played either side, as they were essentially doing the same things.

Edited by moops

I couldn't disagree with you any more, no disrespect.

There is no way that JVS deserves to be judged at season's end.  When Villa goes, JVS has either done enough or he should go altogether.

The lack of movement off the ball, the mickey-mouse defending, the predictable wing play have been there from the first kick of the clubs first ever game.

The other feeling I'm getting is fans are at the end of their tether with some of the players as well.  Established names like Kalmar, Duganndzic, Germano, Williams, Hoffman, plus Murdocca, Ramsay, Weilardt, it ought to be make or break for theses guys.  We have some slack bastards out there who were comfortable to draw a wage knowing the club really had nowhere to go.

Who in the A-League would sign these guys up?  Seriously.  Maybe Wellington or Perth?

The club should never have signed up anyone until after the end of last season, and other than Mooy and Koren no-one else should have got more than 12 months anyway.

Of courseHeart might come 6th this season and still JVS keeps his job. That will be 3.5 seasons of mediocrity rewarded. I think he should only keep his job if Heart get 4th or better and either win one final or at least play well. 

But, But, But.... his Dutch.

Of courseHeart might come 6th this season and still JVS keeps his job. That will be 3.5 seasons of mediocrity rewarded. I think he should only keep his job if Heart get 4th or better and either win one final or at least play well.

His Dutch what? B)

• Like 3

I think that 6th would be credible finish given where Aloisi and Sidwell had taken us. I expect much better with the following season though. Cultural change, and that is the biggest issue with the franchise, takes time to do properly.

Don't worry, he'll be 'Aussie John' before we know it.