Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

Raul would be massive. I still think we need a Greek player. He doesn't necessarily have to be a marque. Club needs to be smart about it.

Avraam Papadopoulos is 28 and currently at Olympiacos, but he was born in Melbourne, which means he has dual citizenship...does this mean we can sign him as the "Australian Marquee"? We can then still get Raul as the International Marquee! lol

Avraam is a centre back for the Greek National Team so he's quality and Raul would add the play-making and fire-power Aloisi is looking for! ;)

P.S. Being from Xanthi, Greece and an Olympiacos fan, I'd absolutely LOVE Vasilios Torosidis, but he was just poached by Roma for only EUR400,000...that's bloody CHEAP for a player like him!!

Considering Greece is in such a terrible economic state, I reckon we could find some really good players for a bargain!!

• Like 1

A lot is going to come down to the contacts that our Football Department staff have. ATM these seem to be in Holland and the Balkans.

It's not only Greece that has its economic woes - they stretch over much of the Euro zone. It's been pointed out by others a number of times that we ought to be able to pick up good players from a number of countries, but so far we haven't been able to do so.

Is there someone currently playing in the state league whos a really big name? Maybe signing South Melbournes or green gullys main man may be a bet more financially stable than signing a big player from overseas??? Or even better have both. I just don't follow the state league close enough so some people on this board would know who we should sign.

We won't sign any of the 'names' mentioned in this thread so far.

Why not? Most of the suggested names could defs be on the cards

Prediction extrapolated from the past.

So far we've signed only two overseas players that anyone had previously heard of - Fred and Sibon - and neither was a marquee according to the definition.

I shall be quite happy to be proved wrong, but my prediction stands.

like your post of arjen robben?

shit troll is shit.

No, I just mentioned his name because reports were that lewondowski was on his way to bayern Munich, which makes you wonder what robben would do. So I though he would be alright because my mate said he was in mid 30's.. But I soon realised his real ago. So I would totally disregard my robben post.

Edited by MrAiDaN66

So far we've signed only two overseas players that anyone had previously heard of - Fred and Sibon - and neither was a marquee according to the definition.

but i don't think there's ever been a big desire at the club for a marquee, hence why we've never had a real one. If the club actually properly chases someone that would obviously hugely benefit the club (ie Raul), then i don't see why it's any more unlikely than any other club getting a marquee :/

but i don't think there's ever been a big desire at the club for a marquee, hence why we've never had a real one. If the club actually properly chases someone that would obviously hugely benefit the club (ie Raul), then i don't see why it's any more unlikely than any other club getting a marquee :/

They (the club) came out not long ago saying they want a big name marquee for next season

They (the club) came out not long ago saying they want a big name marquee for next season

i meant up until now

Is there someone currently playing in the state league whos a really big name? Maybe signing South Melbournes or green gullys main man may be a bet more financially stable than signing a big player from overseas??? Or even better have both. I just don't follow the state league close enough so some people on this board would know who we should sign.

One name mentioned a while back that would suit our club is Adrian Mutu. Still at an age where he could offer a lot for numerous years. His goalscoring at professional level is outstanding. His current Contract is apparently worth a little more than $1 million which is not out of the question for us.