Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

The fact this thread has recieved more activity than any other over the past few days really highlights what a shit season it has been...

IMO our season hasn't been that bad. Sure our away form is woeful, but we're still in finals contention.

When you think we lost Hamill Good and Babalj pre season then Marrone and Behich in January. Put that with the face Duganzic was lost for the season in round 7. Fred been injury plagued again. Colosimo the same. Tadic broken toe. Grella played all of 20 minutes. Then Germano Merbrahtu have also had worries.

Just think at times people can be a little harsh IMO.

Interesting discussion. Taken a few days away from the hustle and bustle of following this football club on a daily basis, so catching up now.

To me, the talk of wanting to sign a marquee to bring people through the gates shows (to me) the desperation the club are in a state of. Low crowds and membership have been so poor, mistakes made at the very beginning of the season have come home to roost. It shouldn't be as hard as it is, but it has been.

Lucas Neill was not their fault, other than talking to much about signing a player in the press (personally would never do this), you take someone's word as gospel, well I do. Too bad the word from our National captain means nothing. He will be remembered for a lot of things, fondly won't be one of them.

I digress. There are very few players in the world that would provide that impact of making a difference of getting people to come to our game. Beckham was one, Del Piero another. I think the likes of Totti and Ronaldinho would be the others. Not impossible as Del Piero shows but a hard task.

Will be interesting to see how they tackle it and who they go for. I'm not convinced it will happen.

All the suggestions I have heard, throwing the book at Frank Lampard sits comfortable with me. Or invest in Asia. Which would be my way of thinking.

Nesta would be huge

He has been O.K. for Monteal. Rated him highly at Milan (who didn't?) but I'm not sure he is worth having as a marquee.

A marquee needs to have a bit of flair on top of the atributes earlier in this thread, and so would normally be a midfielder or striker.

Edited by Peter

There's about 270,000 'football' people out there in Melbourne that the club should be looking to capture. Other than that, I'm not sure if they should be looking to attract a particular demographic of fan. I don't have any issues with the club looking to Japan (especially) for visa players. It's a delicate balance between getting someone who will perform, and someone who is worthy of that 'marquee' tag.

Although the club has said a marquee player would be signed if the opportunity presented itself and the return was there, it would be fair to say that finding such a player has not been an active pursuit of Heart.

I even recall SM publicly questioning the value of the marquee after the signings of the big name players by other clubs at the start of the season.

Why the sudden change I ask???

Simple - free to air tv.

The average number of viewers for an A league game on Fox ...less than 100 thousand

What would a Friday night match on SBS be worth in terms of viewing numbers?

The absolute most critical time to win more supporters when the A League goes FTA is in the first years. A world class marque will get us more SBS time.

So the marquee player will need to be someone with star appeal.

I would say a player of the calibre of a Totti or Giggs should be in the clubs sights

• Like 3

Marquee or no marquee, it's clear from the derbies and the first home game that our potential attendance is somewhat over 10,000. The problem is that many of those are casual fans and either only watch on TV or will if it's the FTA Friday game. Arguably some of these supporters may be attracted by a marquee, the challenge though is to turn them into fanatics like us who take out a season ticket and attend regularly.

Edited by belaguttman

Most value for the club would be someone famous for their time in the EPL, which is without doubt the most well known comp to Aussies, OR someone with genuine World Cup pedigree.

We need someone who has shown great loyalty to their past club(s) and someone who is getting to a stage where they are not going to be able to continue at the highest level. They probably will need to have retired from international football, or have no chance of playing in the World Cup.

Giggs, Scholes, Totti, Drogba, Henry, Forlan, Djibril Cisse, Anelka, John Terry, Klose, Dirk Kuyt, Gattuso, just to name a few...

Most value for the club would be someone famous for their time in the EPL, which is without doubt the most well known comp to Aussies, OR someone with genuine World Cup pedigree.

We need someone who has shown great loyalty to their past club(s) and someone who is getting to a stage where they are not going to be able to continue at the highest level. They probably will need to have retired from international football, or have no chance of playing in the World Cup.

Giggs, Scholes, Totti, Drogba, Henry, Forlan, Djibril Cisse, Anelka, John Terry, Klose, Dirk Kuyt, Gattuso, just to name a few...

Giggs or Scholes would be quality, but I couldnt really see them leaving Man Unt, Henry/Cisse/Anelka or Drogba would be more of a realistic chance and more suitable

Frank Lampard
  • Like 2

Anelka is in Italy. Anelka is still on 100k+ per week. Virtually all of the names mentioned on this page will not happen, regardless if Sydney did it with ADP or not, half of these guys are still early 30's, have contracts for at least another year and at least half are still on 100kpw.

This.

Mm.. Even though he played for victory.. He was never a true hero like say Fred was. Yet he is our captain. If he was a tard through and through he wouldn't have left for his mother in law. So I don't think he was that committed to them. He's still Australia's golden boy from the golden generation, and would pull fans. So I'd take him tbh

• Like 1

God, how many times do we have to have this conversation?

Harry is clubless because nobody wants him. And they're right to not want him. He's been putting himself out there for months, and nobody is prapared to take him on. You'd think after the Lucas Neill affair only a few days ago that people would have learnt to steer clear from these blokes.