Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

Frank Lampard will be to Heart (and the HAL) what Beckham was for Galaxy (and the MLS). He is a great player with:

a.) several years of good football left in him,

b.) he's English which means more people would know him (what you want in a marquee)

c.) points a.) and b.) combined will mean we'll get a fantastic on-field player who WILL be:

d.) a level above everyone else

e.) get a big crowd through the gates

f.) at least double (if not triple) our memberships AND

g.) sell a whole bunch of merchandise!

h.) hopefully help us win a Championship!

i.) lift the profile of the club so we're not always living in Victory's shadow

j.) entice more big profile players to take the A-League more seriously and potentially move here when they fall out of favour with their current clubs. i.e. Owen said he will NOT play in the Championship League; it's either EPL or overseas...why not the A-League?

That's 10 very compelling points why Lampard would pay himself off within a year or two!

Speaking of Owen - he signed with Stoke City on a one year deal - if they don't extend, he might be a good Marquee for Heart. There were already talks earlier in the season when he couldn't find a contract in the EPL that Heart were after him so just re-open those lines of communication and tell him how awesome Melbourne is to live in and how much we love our horse racing! hehe

You don't get to score 150 goals in the EPL without being a quality player! Only 7-8 players to score more than 150 goals I think! Plus, he's only 33, 34 in December. Prime for the A-League

Looking through history - Yorke, Fowler, Heskey, Del Piero, Kewell have been the big ones that change a club.

Ono I would more put into the Fred, Hernandez, Broich category of doing more on field than off field.

One thing that hasn't been discussed is getting players who already have moved away from Europe to the MLS or Asia. Such as a Drogba or Henry.

Van Bommel?

made me think of:

Seedorf?

Ambrosini?

Nesta?

Remarkably, Nesta is only on a few hundred thousand in America, whereas Cahill is over $2m, from memory.

IMO hes a very realistic signing. its just that a defender wouldnt pull crowds like a stiker/Attacking mid would.

plus who would want to play for Montreal? ;)

Why are we worrying about signing a marquee for next season when we are still in the finals race?

Anyway have a strong feeling that we'll sign someone before next season starts, and everyone on here will get really excited......only to realize its harry kewell :wacko:

If we are serious about competing next season get tim cahill, we win the league next season

Looking through history - Yorke, Fowler, Heskey, Del Piero, Kewell have been the big ones that change a club.

Ono I would more put into the Fred, Hernandez, Broich category of doing more on field than off field.

One thing that hasn't been discussed is getting players who already have moved away from Europe to the MLS or Asia. Such as a Drogba or Henry.

Henry or lamps. To get bums on seats. They will go for a well known player and they seem to be developing a warchest to go out and get one, then we can star filling out the squad rather than having the lowest spend in the league and the smallest list