Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

My take on the Aloisi interview was that we have our DM target identified and that we are towards the end of the negotiation phase and are more than 50% likely to make a signing there.

Then JA indicates that once the DM is tied up we will turn our focus on the striker, and he says something like "we have a number of options there" or words to that effect. Again my impression is that we are confident we can land one of them.

If the above is correct then there won't be room for another foreign player as all five positions will be taken.

I am wondering if the striker we will try and sign is dependent on the style of DM we obtain or weather JA was purely talking finances?

While I am sure Maycon would be happy to don the red and white for a second spell, I hope we have some control over the striker we get. And if we know what we are after, why are we waiting to sign the DM before tying up a quality striker who, if we wait too long, may well sign for someone else?

Because we know the player (singular) we want for DM - all JA did was stop short of giving us a name - whereas we have a number of players (plural) in our sights for striker. And because we have options for the striker role - including HK - even if only temporary, IMO the club's strategy sounds the right one.

Interestingly, I think the signing of another DM would likely spell the end for Germano, not sure where he'd fit.

He might play RB when Walker plays for u/23.

I doubt that Germano can command a starting position. I would see him more as someone who comes in if we get injuries.

With players such as Petreski coming along it might be Germano's last season with us. Time will tell. I'd be sad to see him go though. A good Heart man.

Interestingly, I think the signing of another DM would likely spell the end for Germano, not sure where he'd fit.

I doubt that Germano can command a starting position. I would see him more as someone who comes in if we get injuries.

With players such as Petreski coming along it might be Germano's last season with us. Time will tell. I'd be sad to see him go though. A good Heart man.

BEWARE OF ARGIE READING THIS. :)

the few times he has played RB for us i've been very impressed. Obviously a lot of people want walker to be playing right back, but IMO i'd love to see germano play there a fair bit this season. I think he'll be swapping with murdocca in the midfield depending on which one of them is in better form. He will get a bench spot at the very least IMO

• Like 1

Germano is a squad player of above average ability who can play in a number of positions and create chances, whilst also playing with dangerously warmed testicles.

Just because there are better players for the positions he can play, he is still IMO of high value to the club.

Given JA will have a number of options available to him for certain positions, I hope this season he is a little more adventurous week by week and during games, and that he switches players around, and subtely changes formations as required during the contest.  Last season his coaching was generally one diemensional and predictable.  If it ends up that one of our advantages over other clubs is a number of players who play in the one position, he should make the most of this, because it will be hard to coach against, even if he doesnt change his playing formation, which he has shown that he sticks with no matter what.

• Like 3

Germano is a squad player of above average ability who can play in a number of positions and create chances, whilst also playing with dangerously warmed testicles.

Just because there are better players for the positions he can play, he is still IMO of high value to the club.

Given JA will have a number of options available to him for certain positions, I hope this season he is a little more adventurous week by week and during games, and that he switches players around, and subtely changes formations as required during the contest.  Last season his coaching was generally one diemensional and predictable.  If it ends up that one of our advantages over other clubs is a number of players who play in the one position, he should make the most of this, because it will be hard to coach against, even if he doesnt change his playing formation, which he has shown that he sticks with no matter what.

The small size of A League lists means good swingman players like Germano (And Thompson in S1/S2) are an important requirement for all clubs otherwise you end up playing one position spuds like Hoff in the Midfield or Down Back.

• Like 2

The small size of A League lists means good swingman players like Germano (And Thompson in S1/S2) are an important requirement for all clubs otherwise you end up playing one position spuds like Hoff in the Midfield or Down Back.

@Petercrouch

• Like 1

I sure do, but won't be saying anything else until it is announced. Knowing our luck, some other A-League club would get wind of it on social media and offer more.

If he signs it'd be an amazing get! Not a marquee signing I would think but a very good VISA player.

I like being a kent, so will hold my tongue for now.

Has played more than 10 senior international games for Holland and like Sibon is good at set pieces, something we definitely lack.

Was rumoured to have been at our training this morning.

Denny Landzaat? Only player that fits that description without a club.

Wilfred Bouma and Engelaar are the only other players with more than 10 caps and without a club and ageing but they play CB and CM respectively (at least according to wiki)