Melbourne Football

Round 22, Sunday February 24th MHFC vs Sydney @ AAMI

Dylan

What was with the brass band? They seemed to be doing everything wrong. Wasn't in time with any of the YS songs. Not sure what they were doing.

They were up the other end of the park. Nothing to do with YS. Just doing their own thing all game, which was pretty shit because you couldnt hear YS up the Northern end because of them. Not entirely sure what the go with them is.

What was with the brass band? They seemed to be doing everything wrong. Wasn't in time with any of the YS songs. Not sure what they were doing.

They were up the other end of the park. Nothing to do with YS. Just doing their own thing all game, which was pretty shit because you couldnt hear YS up the Northern end because of them. Not entirely sure what the go with them is.

Seemed to drown out YS on TV.

Firstly well done to Yarraside. Loud and strong and solid. Megaphone so much louder and clearer too.

Well, I've got to say it - ABOUT FUCKING TIME, ABOUT FUCKING TIME!!!!!! I know it's easy when the opposition centre forward is a 38 year old who won't chase, but we played out from the back and by god we looked the better for it. I only counted one Colossimo long bomb when under pressure, and the lad kept the ball on the deck. Having talked to coaching staff this week, looks like instructions were finally followed this week!! Coyne and Walker provided options and Germano and Thommo pushed back to give central options. Finally playing triangles. With the ball on the deck Kalmar looked great and, but for some polish up forward, we could have absolutely slaughtered them. Only concern defensively was Vrankovic nearly disastrously caught napping twice - a bit more yelling from team mates can remedy that quickly. Walker a deserved MOM - the kid puts in!! Coyne obviously getting fitter and pushing up the park. Can see some early understanding developing between him and Willo. He was sloppy a couple of times but improving with every run. Thommo a concern with transition, but with no defender on the bench, I can understand the logic of not subbing him. He would fit into the back four if required, but I do wonder if Germano would do it better.

The transition to the forward third was sloppy. Too slow forward and hence a ridiculously high offside count. Really needs to be worked on. Fred quiet, and Meeuwis not really given long enough on the park. He is the obvious option for Thommo when fully fit - will watch with interest.

And at the end of it all, ordinary from Neill (great to watch) and the occasional flicker of brilliance from ADP worth seeing. All in all a great day out with a decent crowd!!

• Like 2

Seemed to drown out YS on TV.

Why were those people even there? Were they payed by the club to be there?

I personally loved the sound of the trumpets, was a very nice touch, but agree with it needing to be in sync with the main chants and group. Good performance, i expected it to be tighter than that, i guess we were a bit lucky with the opener with garcia just offside i believe. Anyhoo, Sydney didnt threaten too much, and we were ok in possession.

Very happy with 5 home wins on the trot, and making aami a fortress, i said it earlier in the season if we are to make the finals we'd have to do just that, but i also didnt think we'd be bloody winless away all season..

2 teams have all but been ruled out of finals id say, wellington and perth in 10th and 9th so its closer to finding out whether we make it or not and being in 5th is rather promising.

Oh and how did victory get pumped so bad? Lollss

Great win, and great crowd. Would like to see the drums down the northern end stay, provided good atmosphere i believe. Having said that, our attention must turn to next week. Wellington are facing Newcastle on thursday night so they'll have a quick turn around before we face them in Dunedin on Sunday.

Time to put our poor away form to rest, and get three points away to put pressure on Brisbane, Newcastle and Sydney as well as proving that we belong in the finals series.

Good game, enjoyed myself.

But seriously, I find it a bit disgusting with the "would smash the physio" chants.

classless act.

immature.

BRASS BAND - where paid. likely by the club. i spoke to a bloke in the group (all appeared to be indian), he says they were paid.

nice touch by the club. they were pretty shit (yep former drummer i am), but it hearing the trumpets and drums increased the atmosphere.

• Like 2

Great win, and great crowd. Would like to see the drums down the northern end stay, provided good atmosphere i believe. Having said that, our attention must turn to next week. Wellington are facing Newcastle on thursday night so they'll have a quick turn around before we face them in Dunedin on Sunday.

Time to put our poor away form to rest, and get three points away to put pressure on Brisbane, Newcastle and Sydney as well as proving that we belong in the finals series.

Lol no chance :P

Brilliant everything. Crowd was great, hopefully the win can get some on board for the Reds match. It was our biggest non-derby crowd. Loved getting stuck into Neill.

Jeremy Walker is going to be a star and Redmayne was in fine form too. Germano and Kalmar fantastic also.

Edited by HeartMillsy29

Great win

I don't think we had a poor performer today. Even Thompson was solid

Walker was amazing today. He is showing he is quite a player (poor Brisbane for not taking him lol)

The 2 CB were also very good held Griffiths and ADP very well

Coyne was serviceable. I give his game a better rating then his haircut

Germano and Thompson worked well this week and they both broke forward which helped the attack

Kalmar again was superb, making it very hard for Fred to start

Garcia played ok, beat Fabio comfortably

Williams played well, drew defenders and drew the penalty

Babalj was Probly only real disappointment. Again

A good win but means nothing if we can't back it up on the road

I think Babalj's fitness might be really poor. He's not offering much after about 30 minutes at the moment. Should bring Golgol on earlier.

Edit: just reading the previous post, yes, but he at least provides more energy than Eli at the moment.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 1

Good game, enjoyed myself.

But seriously, I find it a bit disgusting with the "would smash the physio" chants.

classless act.

immature.

BRASS BAND - where paid. likely by the club. i spoke to a bloke in the group (all appeared to be indian), he says they were paid.

nice touch by the club. they were pretty shit (yep former drummer i am), but it hearing the trumpets and drums increased the atmosphere.

the band could've atleast worn heart merch! anyway i liked the trumpets but i reckon piss the band off. someone in YS would do a better job playing along with the chants

Having sat near the "band" by accident, in my opinion they were a dreadly cacophony of tuneless shite. The North End is hardly a hotbed of passion, but for me it completely killed any atmosphere for those who were unfortunate enough to be sat nearby. We moved to the other side of them so that we could actually hear each other, and YS from the other end.

Having sat near the "band" by accident, in my opinion they were a dreadly cacophony of tuneless shite. The North End is hardly a hotbed of passion, but for me it completely killed any atmosphere for those who were unfortunate enough to be sat nearby. We moved to the other side of them so that we could actually hear each other, and YS from the other end.

And what's more, now they've taken the red shirts off them and given them trumpets I can't get a coffee at half time :angry:

There was always that one guy (a random fan) that attempts to get a chant going but he is the only one singing it while the terrace is quiet and deciding on what chant to do next.

Was trying to make an anti-del piero chant or someshit :droy:

Ando had a go at him I should say, for looking like an idiot in front of the whole bay and also talked back at the capo, giving no respect :droy:

Where the fuck do these people come from?.... :droy:

Fails an attempt at throwing a cup full of beer at Ando :droy:

Edited by Young Polak
  • Like 2

Kalmar looked the goods today, he seems to be flourishing with consistent game time in his preferred position, was runner up for MOTM imo.

Walker is gonna be a superstar deserved MOTM.

Vranks was solid, but for conceding the goal and then getting nervous and being caught on the ball (did think there wasn't enough communication to let him know there was a man on),

Redmayne is all class, never doubted his ability

Coyne looks a little unfit, but is reasonable in LB also got caught on the ball a few times, but I feel adequate communication from team mates could have prevented at-least 1 of these.

WIllo has improved alot, would put it down to having confidence back.

Garcia... need I say anything else

• Like 2

Great game today.

Really pleased with the efforts of Vrankovic (future Curtis Good) looks composed and rock solid at the back.

Also Visitors must be livid that Walker (a Taswegian) is starring for us and not for the Launceston Loss, he was again brilliant today.

What I'm loving about these games now is going to games so full of confidence and hope rather than the glum feeling of the start of the year.

FINALS HERE WE COME

for the first time in ages....we had a decent line up....on the bench. Fred is at best a bench player (at most), Meeuwis (spelling) is settling in. Golgol is needs to find his feet, but has explosive potential. Golgol was better than Babalj against Luca$ Neill. Thompson is reasonable, just OK, would ditch him in a flash if we had a decent midfielder available.

Love that we won. But we weren't at our best. Our opposition was ordinary, lets not forget.

There was always that one guy (a random fan) that attempts to get a chant going but he is the only one singing it while the terrace is quiet and deciding on what chant to do next.

Was trying to make an anti-del piero chant or someshit :droy:

Ando had a go at him I should say, for looking like an idiot in front of the whole bay and also talked back at the capo, giving no respect :droy:

Where the fuck do these people come from?.... :droy:

Fails an attempt at throwing a cup full of beer at Ando :droy:

Yeah he was a complete fuckwit.

Walker was a star, better each week. plays well with Garcia. Vrankovic is solid and will only improve. Gerhardt and Collosimo will show him the way.

just need to focus on our midfied. need replacements for Thompson and Fred. Kalmar is in tune (Germano improving, not quite were he was last season), but need more than 2 newbies to match the rest of the side.

Walker and Garcia link up play is getting better, it's great to watch. Same with Kalmar getting more ball in the midfield, he's getting some confidence back - he's always been quality but had a shitty run with injuries. Hopefully he keeps this form up.

For the 10 minutes Meeuwis was on I liked what I saw, he's not afraid to go after the 50/50 ball and will be an asset if we scrape in to the finals.

How we've reached a third season as a terrace and I still have to remind the majority of people in Yarraside that clapping is compulsory as well as singing is beyond me. It was great to see more and more people getting in to it, but fuck me it looks like a fair few lads are just there for 'the scene' and not to give their all for the team for 90 minutes.

The trumpet was brilliant, the drummers were great considering it was their first game drumming, and the new megaphone seemed to work quite well I thought.

Onwards and upwards, no more passengers!

• Like 3

Just for a different pov my group sat up the northern end due to lack of seats elsewhere abd we really enjoyed the band. They were very loud but I thought they were fun and offered a party atmosphere north. As long as they don't take away from yarraside elsewhere I think they are a good inclusion.

Honestly would be better if they were not there..

• Like 1