Melbourne Football

Should Matt Thompson be Starting?

kingofhearts

Can mods please change the name of this thread. Disgusting attitude to have about one of the club legends. I'm personally sick of Fred but he deserves the respect for being one of the leaders of our club, as does Super Matty Thompson.

23 - 12- 11

Time may not be on their side but Fred and Matty still deserve respect

This.

There seems to be no plan whatsoever to what we are doing.

What was the point in signing Meeuwis from the Eredivisie for three months - in reality probably just four more games now - if we're not going to start him? He should have started in Dunedin today.

Thompson has played three half-decent matches in 12 months. 12 months FFS. His pass completion rate must be about the lowest in the league. It's not as if we need to give him more game time to assess him.

As much as it's been frustrating watching Thomo this year, his form has been "inconsistent" to say the least, we need to applaud him for reaching 200 HAL games for us. He's been a loyal servant and we need to appreciate that. But he needs more bench time next year.

There's no room for sentiment in football, nor indeed in any other form of employment. We have players on our books who are coming out of contract at the end of this season, and there's pretty much agreement from the club's supporters that some of them are not performing at the required level for us to be serious contenders for the Premiership. If the club is serious about the A-League then these players should be released.

It's always a tough call when someone just isn't measuring up to the job, whether on the football field, on a building site or in an office. Managers are there to make those tough calls.

The end of this season will be a test of JA and JD. What they do is not just about the players, and they need to be careful about the message they send to the club's supporters.

• Like 2

I know he's a defensive midfielder, but why does he 9/10 times look to play the ball backwards even when we're on the counter attack?

It shits me to tears! We break away and instead of attacking he holds the ball or plays it sideways or backwards which allows the defenders of the opposing team to get back into position!!

I think he's better in the attacking midfielder role rather than the defensive...leave the defensive shite to Hoffman! lol

I know he's a defensive midfielder, but why does he 9/10 times look to play the ball backwards even when we're on the counter attack?

It shits me to tears! We break away and instead of attacking he holds the ball or plays it sideways or backwards which allows the defenders of the opposing team to get back into position!!

I think he's better in the attacking midfielder role rather than the defensive...leave the defensive shite to Hoffman! lol

he's what coaches call a negative player. Instead of looking to play forward and play 'positive', most of the time he's always playing backwards (if he isn't losing the ball)

We look so much more better when we try to play forward as a team because we have enough quality up front to cause problems and create chances. One of the main reasons he should be released at the end of the season, we need more positive players in our squad.

I found this little quote in the Lynch article interesting:

He (Thompson) is quoted as saying: 'I have enjoyed my time here, but I intend to carry on for several seasons yet.'

This might be interpreted as an indication that his time at MHFC is drawing to a close? The key word is 'but'.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/sport/a-league/first-to-200-and-no-sign-of-slowing-20130306-2flij.html#ixzz2Mp3X2QCS

• Like 1

I found this little quote in the Lynch article interesting:

He (Thompson) is quoted as saying: 'I have enjoyed my time here, but I intend to carry on for several seasons yet.'

This might be interpreted as an indication that his time at MHFC is drawing to a close? The key word is 'but'.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/sport/a-league/first-to-200-and-no-sign-of-slowing-20130306-2flij.html#ixzz2Mp3X2QCS

No, that means that he has enjoyed his time so far, but doesn't want to stop and plans on continuing.

ffs some people in this thread behave like snobby heartless cunts much like Roman Abramovich, except you attack the manager AND the players, and it's like a broken record complaining every single fucking day on this forum in different threads spreading the negativity on the club and only sometimes do I see people who look on the bright side.You praise them when they are playing well, and when they have their shitty times you just want them to "fuck off" and call for a immediate replacement.

Happy to show my appreciation for Matt to make history for this club and league.

Edited by Young Polak
  • Like 1

NOTE: this is not about his current form or him signing contracts.

Pretty much the closest thing we have to a club legend in the short history our young club has. Regardless of his form atm this bloke should be celebrated this weekend for the  loyalty and passion this quintessential team man has shown us. 

I hope everybody else on the terraces and everybody else in the stands this week gives this bloke the respect and praise he deserves for giving his all for OUR club for all of our 3 season now.

With a heart the size of a volkswagon and complimented by a healthy does of 'cunt', Thommo: MHFC Legend.

Matty T. 

753295-matt-thompson.jpg

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap: 

Ps. I ya dont agree... you can fuck off :up:

If he truly was a legend of this club he would do what legends do, they step aside when they are past it. Matty hasn't.

He was solid for 3 seasons, but all this talk about him being a club 'legend' has been dragged through the mud due to his consistent bad form this season.

Getting to 200 games is an achievement, i congratulate him on that, but please don't call him a legend for simply performing in 1 derby game.

• Like 1

Pretty much the closest thing we have to a club legend in the short history our young club has. Regardless of his form atm this bloke should be celebrated this weekend for the  loyalty and passion this quintessential team man has shown us. 

I hope everybody else on the terraces and everybody else in the stands this week gives this bloke the respect and praise he deserves for giving his all for OUR club for all of our 3 season now.

With a heart the size of a volkswagon and complimented by a healthy does of 'cunt', Thommo: MHFC Legend.

Matty T. 

753295-matt-thompson.jpg

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap: 

If he truly was a legend of this club he would do what legends do, they step aside when they are past it. Matty hasn't.

He was solid for 3 seasons, but all this talk about him being a club 'legend' has been dragged through the mud due to his consistent bad form this season.

Getting to 200 games is an achievement, i congratulate him on that, but please don't call him a legend for simply performing in 1 derby game.

You don't know what you talking about :up:

Give him the respect he is due.

Hopefully for his 200th he will be moved out of defensive mid and into the free box to box/attacking role he does well. It might shut a few people up. I agree however, Matt does look poor as a sitting duck where he is being played at the moment.

Matty T. 

753295-matt-thompson.jpg

Its not Matt's fault he keeps being picked every week. whilst I do think it is time for him to be moved on or given severely less time, he still has to be applauded for what he has contributed to this club in its short history

• Like 2

A legend? people need to calm down as we are still a very young club and still far away from creating any 'legends'. I would consider a club legend to be a player that has put in atleast a solid and consistent 5-6 years at a club. No aleague club has any legends so far with the exception of maybe the tards with wife-beater archie. Even if Matty T plays the next 2 seasons with us his current form will never guarantee him legend status.

Pretty much the closest thing we have to a club legend in the short history our young club has. Regardless of his form atm this bloke should be celebrated this weekend for the loyalty and passion this quintessential team man has shown us.

With a heart the size of a volkswagon and complimented by a healthy does of 'cunt', Thommo: MHFC Legend.

Matty T.

753295-matt-thompson.jpg

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Ps. If ya dont agree... you can fuck off :up:

Thank you, and finally. The man is out of form, but never drops his head and runs his guts out for the team every week.

Respect for his effort is due by every Heart supporter, this week especially.

• Like 1