Melbourne Football

Marcel Meeuwis

Ando

Hopefully he gets here match fit and can flatten heskey next week

According to the link in Ando's OP, he has had 5 red cards in the last three years or so.

Why didn't we just re-sign Srhoj?

Finally someone to actually break Archie's leg when we yell out to

And floges too

I wonder how much JA has influenced this signing, at the fan Forum he was clear on what type of midfielder he wanted ... If this guy turns out to be rubbish will there be repacations? We can not afford another average visa player not at this stage... I still think the club should get Culina...

• Like 1

I wonder how much JA has influenced this signing, at the fan Forum he was clear on what type of midfielder he wanted ... If this guy turns out to be rubbish will there be repacations? We can not afford another average visa player not at this stage... I still think the club should get Culina...

I'd say that JA has a big say in the type of player he wants, but going out and finding options for the role is JD's job.

If he turns out to be rubbish, there wont be repurcussions. There's no guarantee on any player you recruit. You would look at the overall successes and failures of our recruiting. As far as internationals go, I think we're getting better - Gray being this year's big exception. But looking at our visa spots now, Gerhardt, Tadic, Fred, & Germano have all shown quality and are all starting 11 players mostly. Three of those are in their mid 20's. If Meeuwis slots in as our starting CB, then I think that's good work overall.

We've also done very well with kids - would have to be our biggest success story.

I'd say the most disappointing recruits have tended to come from the experienced A League players we've brought in, sometimes because they're not that good, and sometimes because they've been pretty good, but not worth the big contracts we apparently have them on. (As well as the obvious internationals that didn't work - especially Gray and Maycon.)

Edited by Sash

Apparently CCM were trying to sign him at the start of the year, but wanted to stay in Holland and JVS told JD to go after him.

Id say they will announce this on tuesday (apparently he arrives then) and they are trying to get the paper work through by friday, so he must be match fit.

Edited by Dylan

IIf this guy turns out to be rubbish will there be repacations?

http://oxforddictionaries.com/spellcheck/english/?q=repacations

If he is able to play on Friday night, I would like to see him straight in for Thompson, leaving Thompson as a "versatile" bench player. But poses the question as to whether JA has the balls to drop the Vice/Stand-in Captain to the bench and give Richie the armband.

Unfortunately, I can see Germano being benched or missing out completely, give the way we have structured out substitutes this season.

• Like 1

Will he make us a better team?? He'd have to be total shite not to. Don't forget our midfield for most of pre-Christmas was Fred on half a leg, Thompson and Hoffman. Things started looking up when Germano returned, but Thommo has had a really ordinary season, and Kalmar today put in the best AM effort for the season so far which says a lot about how bad we've been there. Looking at his profile as a (mostly) DM, we may have to find someone new to take the armband next week.

I agree, thompson hasnt made a tackle all year and its our lack of midfield that is putting pressure on the defence who imo have done a decent job this year

Current market price is around 700k, I dare say he'll be more effective than Worm.

transfermarkt.co.uk has him at EUR700k, but that was on 22/06/2011 when he was 30yo. I reckon he wouldn't be worth more than AUS$500,000 in today's money.

I'm actually surprised that transfermarkt has him already contracted to Heart "At the club since 08/02/13 - 3 days ago"...they usually take a little longer to update transfers.

Bas van den Brink's move to India has turned to shit, wish this had happened a week earlier he would've been a perfect signing. Meeuwis will need time to get fit and adapt to the style of play, Bas would've walked straight in and allowed Paddy to move to the midfield enforcer role that he was signed for.

But hopefully Meeuwis can make an immediate impact, although I fear Germano will be made the scapegoat and dropped to the bench.