Melbourne Football

Heart's Hoffman trials for J-League side

NuggetsMcGreggor

I saw he get into the box against Wellington well!

I believe Hoffman, ike a lot of our players, has been unable to perform to the best of his ability due to the system we have deployed,not playing in his favoured position and also he has not had a regular run.

Matt Thompson and Fred are a couple of others who this season have not performed as expected as they have moved into different roles which they are not as well suited to.

• Like 2

I saw he get into the box against Wellington well!

I believe Hoffman, ike a lot of our players, has been unable to perform to the best of his ability due to the system we have deployed,not playing in his favoured position and also he has not had a regular run.

Matt Thompson and Fred are a couple of others who this season have not performed as expected as they have moved into different roles which they are not as well suited to.

Can't fault the guy when he's always being played out of position.

Agreed. One thing I don't understand about Heart is putting players into positions in which they do not perform all for the sake of playing a 'system' (whatever system that is). We always seem to have too many square pegs in round holes. Hoffman is the classic example. He simply does not have the skill set necessary for a midfielder. To me he's another Macallister - a carthorse who can score plenty of goals against weaker opponents but not do much else. (So well you might ask, why did we sign Macallister...?)

Better to play in a way that suits the strengths of the players you've got. Or if you want to persist with a system for which some players on the books are not suitable, then show them the door as quickly as you can and sign the players you really want. Which is pretty much the method used by Postecoglou.

No Hoffman = Win & Clean Sheet.

Was interesting in the pre-game show the 2 goals for Sydney last week were highlighted by Andy Harper.

Goal #1 Hoffman was marking Emerton in the box, but for some reason decided to run off him. Then the ball was passed into a free Emerton in the box and the rest is history.

Goal #2 Grant makes a run into box, 7 seconds he remains unmarked in the box. Whilst we have a free midfielder standing in the arc at the top of the box.....Jason Hoffman.

• Like 3

It drives me mental when people get on websites to bag our own players. Hoffman may or may not be a - league standard but he is our player. And to blame him for the goals at Sydney is a joke. Start with the failed effort to close someone down on the edge of our box, and add central defenders defending inside the six yard box for goal number 2. To blame a central midfielder is nonsensical.

There is more than enough blame to be spread around for the last ten minutes, but as usual haters will focus on those they hate.

Every team I've ever supported has had players the fans didnt think we're good enough - and sometimes they are right and sometimes they are wrong (ever seen the YouTube footage of Harry redknapp defending frank lampard jnr ?). But the bitching on websites has taken everything to a new level.

I've read this website and its predecessor from day 1 but so often the negativity directed to our own has made me wonder why anyone would bother trying to make us a success - you guys spend so much time tearing our own down.

• Like 2

It drives me mental when people get on websites to bag our own players. Hoffman may or may not be a - league standard but he is our player. And to blame him for the goals at Sydney is a joke. Start with the failed effort to close someone down on the edge of our box, and add central defenders defending inside the six yard box for goal number 2. To blame a central midfielder is nonsensical.

There is more than enough blame to be spread around for the last ten minutes, but as usual haters will focus on those they hate.

Every team I've ever supported has had players the fans didnt think we're good enough - and sometimes they are right and sometimes they are wrong (ever seen the YouTube footage of Harry redknapp defending frank lampard jnr ?). But the bitching on websites has taken everything to a new level.

I've read this website and its predecessor from day 1 but so often the negativity directed to our own has made me wonder why anyone would bother trying to make us a success - you guys spend so much time tearing our own down.

I don't disagree with what you are saying, however I would like to say that perhaps it is our own high standard of what we do expect from the club and because we want it to be such a success, that perhaps some of us can be a bit harsh and bitchy sometimes when refering to our own players.

I would also take a stab that outside of the forum, most of those of us who have spoken poorly about one of our own players on the forum, has said 3 or 4 times more poorly about opposition players, and that the stuff that makes it to the forum is usually only because we care about improving it (usually)

Edited by Bozza

I saw Hoffman at the Australian Open two days ago. Wasn't sure if it was him so I called out Jason and he turned around. I asked him where he was on Friday night and he said he had a niggle and couldn't play, but then quickly said, "nah, I got left out of the team"...he looked embarrassed as he said it. I kinda felt sorry for him, even though I give him so much crap when he's on the field! lol

But hey, no player is bigger than the club right? And if the club keeps winning without a specific player, then what can you do? Leave them out of the line-up again I guess! lol

The funny thing is I am pretty certain that a lot of these PPL have also invested a lot more of their "Time" into the club than you have...

No Hoffman = Win & Clean Sheet.

Was interesting in the pre-game show the 2 goals for Sydney last week were highlighted by Andy Harper.

Goal #1 Hoffman was marking Emerton in the box, but for some reason decided to run off him. Then the ball was passed into a free Emerton in the box and the rest is history.

Goal #2 Grant makes a run into box, 7 seconds he remains unmarked in the box. Whilst we have a free midfielder standing in the arc at the top of the box.....Jason Hoffman.

Goal #1 - Germano makes a disgracefully weak attempt to tackle Emerton - scores

Goal #2 - Germano does nothing to prevent the cross from Del Piero when we had him double teamed him - crosses for the goal