Melbourne Football

One Melburnian At a Time!

Melburnian

Yeah despite my disagreements and thoughts on some people at the club and head butting brick walls over things, I have no right to not support it. The club will be around way after these people have gone. I want it to be a success.

So after the response from my last season One Melburnians who are so passionate and pumped up about the club after one season and absolutely right into the club, it inspires me to launch it again.

This time though guys, I need your help. Moreso than last year. I need a huge push to get this going and all hands on deck to help advertise and promote this.

Any ideas are welcome. I believe the club are improving in all aspects and I think 15,000 members especially now with the bandwagon God himself on board Harry Kewell.

Lets do this guys.

onboard Melburnian, have started the chat with my mates already

Yeah despite my disagreements and thoughts on some people at the club and head butting brick walls over things, I have no right to not support it. The club will be around way after these people have gone. I want it to be a success.

So after the response from my last season One Melburnians who are so passionate and pumped up about the club after one season and absolutely right into the club, it inspires me to launch it again.

This time though guys, I need your help. Moreso than last year. I need a huge push to get this going and all hands on deck to help advertise and promote this.

Any ideas are welcome. I believe the club are improving in all aspects and I think 15,000 members especially now with the bandwagon God himself on board Harry Kewell.

Lets do this guys.

15000 member lol - i know at least 15 people not resigning this year because of hk making us look like a victory wanna be club - we are becoming a greater joke by the day

• Like 1

Lets do this guys.

15000 member lol - i know at least 15 people not resigning this year because of hk making us look like a victory wanna be club - we are becoming a greater joke by the day

make that 16 mate!!

• Like 1

Lets do this guys.

:up: :up: :up::droy:

We will probably gain more members than we lose so no loss really

huj

Clearly you`ve not gone just yet. :rolleyes:

For everyone like yelawolf that decide`s to leave.There`s 10 ready to take there place.

Nice to see we value our fellow fans.. :(

It's a messed up mentality to suggest that it doesn't matter that some fans will leave because we will probably get some bandwagoners as a result of Kewell. 

Numbers of fans don't make a football club, it is the type of fans.. 

huj

For everyone like yelawolf that decide`s to leave.There`s 10 ready to take there place.

It's a messed up mentality to suggest that it doesn't matter that some fans will leave because we will probably get some bandwagoners as a result of Kewell. 

Exactly. And if you are the type of fan who wont renew a membership based on one signing, then we are better off without them

*Tommykins beat me to it

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 3

I tend to agree with that as well, but the club compromised its values and went back on its word in signing Kewell.. 

From being a "gimmick" and a "circus" to now being suddenly good for the club. 

This points to a departing of the clubs culture and direction and I am not sure it is a positive one.

And signing a player who openly mocked teh club in a press conference while he was at MV is going to piss people off and rightfully so.  Those people shouldn't be dismissed as they care more for the club than a bandwagoner who is coming just for one player..

huj

Exactly. And if you are the type of fan who wont renew a membership based on one signing, then we are better off without them

*Tommykins beat me to it

I'll go with great minds think alike.

• Like 1

I tend to agree with that as well, but the club compromised its values and went back on its word in signing Kewell.. 

This points to a departing of the clubs culture and direction and I am not sure it is a positive one.

And signing a player who openly mocked teh club in a press conference while he was at MV is going to piss people off and rightfully so.  Those people shouldn't be dismissed as they care more for the club than a bandwagoner who is coming just for one player..

I know what you mean and to be honest I am sceptical as to how this whole Harry thing will pan out. But to not renew a membership based on a signing is incredibly poor form. Its being arguably more fickle than a "sing when your winning" type of fan.

Harry has everything to prove so for now I applaud the club for thinking bigger and if it all falls to shit I will worry about that then.

• Like 1

In taking the opposite tack. I'm assuming it will turn to shit but if it doesn't its a real bonus. I know people are really down on this signing, but if you look at it from a cold hard perspective, this is very good business from the club. There is very little downside financially, but a potential huge upside on the pitch. And whether we like it or not, the core business is winning games and playing finals. If Kewell carries on and is destabilising to the squad then don't play him, or sack him, and pay him out. It's analogous to the Grella signing - a cheap punt that could pay off sensationally. In that case it didn't, and it may happen again. I can't fault the club for taking a punt with a huge upside and little downside. Get on board.

Believe me. The club are well aware that we are not all entirely sold in this. Those people's voices will be acknowledged if it blows up and the club react appropriately. But at this stage his signing has only been positive so nobody really has any grounds for complaint yet. Certainly not enough to not renew membership.

It is not fickle to want to know what your club stands for and then asking for a commitment from the club to uphold that..

I agree that those fans shouldn't leave the club but their voices need to be acknowledged.

Precisely what is it that "the club stands for" that isn't being upheld?

And if there is something, doesn't coming a miserable 9th in a 10-team league offer an opportunity to review whatever we "stand for"?

I share your caution however there are some differences:

he's not coming as a marquee

he has something to prove

JA isn't s 'star-struck fan' like Mehmet was

Things will go well with HK if the team is doing well, we'll mind out JA's mettle and HK's worth to the club if we aren't performing well as then, in the absence of clear leadership from JA, HK will step in to fill the void.

I've taken a liking to this Kewell business.

Worse case scenario, he get's dropped or nicks off. Still, been great for the LOL's and has certainly created a buzz.

And no, I won't be putting a 10 on the back of my shirt, I don't know who will be wearing it in six months time.

I've taken a liking to this Kewell business.

Worse case scenario, he get's dropped or nicks off. Still, been great for the LOL's and has certainly created a buzz.

And no, I won't be putting a 10 on the back of my shirt, I don't know who will be wearing it in six months time.

That fact his wearing Number 10 is a good start IMO, his best football has been in a Number 10 for Leeds and Australia.

He wore 7 during his luckless time at Liverpool, and of course 22 at MVFC... mind u as I did argue back then that his back end of that season he was basically as good as any other player in the League.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

hey i dont know if its been brought up before but the spelling is a little off i think? onemelBOURNian? or onemelBURNian?

A citizen of Melbourne is a Melburnian. The 'o' gets dropped off...not sure why...but we're officially known Melburnians!

Don't look at google who underlines the word as a spelling mistake! lol

hey i dont know if its been brought up before but the spelling is a little off i think? onemelBOURNian? or onemelBURNian?

A citizen of Melbourne is a Melburnian. The 'o' gets dropped off...not sure why...but we're officially known Melburnians!

Don't look at google who underlines the word as a spelling mistake! lol

MHFC Fun Facts lol

Things will go well with HK if the team is doing well, we'll mind out JA's mettle and HK's worth to the club if we aren't performing well as then, in the absence of clear leadership from JA, HK will step in to fill the void.

I am not that confident in JA actually.  This is the same coach that played his mates Thompson and Colosimo without fail regardless of under performing. 

Will be interesting if nothing else.

I am not that confident in JA actually.  This is the same coach that played his mates Thompson and Colosimo without fail regardless of under performing. 

Will be interesting if nothing else.

I was quite critical of JA last season and would have liked him replaced. However, he has shown Thompson and Colosimo the door as they either were not up to it or didn't suit JA's game plan.

JA is now building his squad around his playing philosophy and time will tell what fruit this squad produces. Six months from now should give us a good indication.

I am feeling quite confident with what is happening around the club at the moment. Again, time will tell.

Wow this got of course.

Lets focus on bringing one person each. Get word out that the OneMelburnian campaign is back again.

Alex, can you restore the Facebook page, I have started the twitter handle, this time I will get a website up.

One Melburnian at a time. Lets bring people to this club.

• Like 2

I spoke to a mate of mine last night who I've invited along to games in the past, but he's never really been interested. Anyway, out of the blue. he said he'll come to some games next year. He's got a young son and he'd prefer that he plays soccer to Aussie rules. So he's thinking by taking his son to a couple of games, he might get into it. Anyway, the point is, even though he wasn't interested before, something can always spark an interest. So it's always worthwhile giving people the option of coming along to a game or whatever even if they don't have much of an interest initially. If you've mentioned the club to people in the past, and gotten no response, something like Harry Kewell might be that spark to get them interested. With my mate, I don't think he even knows Harry Kewell is coming. So it could be anything. The only thing he had reservations about was 'we're not gonna be sitting around hooligans are we?'. So, for what it's worth, right or wrong, that's still something people associate with the game.

• Like 3

I spoke to a mate of mine last night who I've invited along to games in the past, but he's never really been interested. Anyway, out of the blue. he said he'll come to some games next year. He's got a young son and he'd prefer that he plays soccer to Aussie rules. So he's thinking by taking his son to a couple of games, he might get into it. Anyway, the point is, even though he wasn't interested before, something can always spark an interest. So it's always worthwhile giving people the option of coming along to a game or whatever even if they don't have much of an interest initially. If you've mentioned the club to people in the past, and gotten no response, something like Harry Kewell might be that spark to get them interested. With my mate, I don't think he even knows Harry Kewell is coming. So it could be anything. The only thing he had reservations about was 'we're not gonna be sitting around hooligans are we?'. So, for what it's worth, right or wrong, that's still something people associate with the game.

Yep, we focus on membership but sometimes that's like trying to run before you can walk. I invite people to games as well and then see what happens from there. Sash, I suggest that when your mate comes along you present his son with a HeartFC scarf or cap as a bit of a souvenir of the game. I've done it with my two nephews and it's worked - they won't have a bar of Victory and they come along to HeartFC games when they can.

• Like 1

I spoke to a mate of mine last night who I've invited along to games in the past, but he's never really been interested. Anyway, out of the blue. he said he'll come to some games next year. He's got a young son and he'd prefer that he plays soccer to Aussie rules. So he's thinking by taking his son to a couple of games, he might get into it. Anyway, the point is, even though he wasn't interested before, something can always spark an interest. So it's always worthwhile giving people the option of coming along to a game or whatever even if they don't have much of an interest initially. If you've mentioned the club to people in the past, and gotten no response, something like Harry Kewell might be that spark to get them interested. With my mate, I don't think he even knows Harry Kewell is coming. So it could be anything. The only thing he had reservations about was 'we're not gonna be sitting around hooligans are we?'. So, for what it's worth, right or wrong, that's still something people associate with the game.

Yep, we focus on membership but sometimes that's like trying to run before you can walk. I invite people to games as well and then see what happens from there. Sash, I suggest that when your mate comes along you present his son with a HeartFC scarf or cap as a bit of a souvenir of the game. I've done it with my two nephews and it's worked - they won't have a bar of Victory and they come along to HeartFC games when they can. The amount of fans that link there support there support back to when they got there first bit if merch as a kid from a then, random team, is huge. It a great idea. Even if the kid doesn't think much about it then, they might get interested in a few years time and have some merchandise could be the difference to who they end up following. Their friends to.
  • Like 1

Have taken my kids (now 8,6,4) to virtually every home game since season 1. The only came across 3 incidents ( 1 drunk woman making an idiot iof herself and 2 other occasions against sour Victory). The beauty about getting them in young is; my boys promote there club m/ship at school, family events and there junior clubs and there friends have now generated a soft spot for Heart!

• Like 1

My wife's uncle is 40, a massive St Kilda fan and up until last season didn't care about the A-League, at all. On New Years Day we were all gathered around a relo's house for a BBQ and my wife told me she didn't want to come to the game so I asked her uncle to come with me...so after we got permission from my wife, his wife, his mum and my wife's grandmother's blessing (the matriarch) he came to the game with me! His little girl (7yo) though almost didn't let him come because her teacher is a massive Victory fan, which means that made her a Victory and she didn't want her teacher to find out that her dad went to a Heart game! lol

Well the best things about that game was, we won, he thought 5.6k crowd was a great crowd for NYDay, he thought the Active Area singing "Oh when the Heart come marching in" was brilliant and he loved how the players came and greeted us after the game. I also gave him a Heart scarf to take home. He's since come to another 3 home games and is close to buying a membership next season.

The best thing to come out of all this, the next time I saw his little 7yo daughter she brought out the Heart scarf I'd given her dad and whispered to me, "Ok I go for Heart now, but don't tell my teacher because he doesn't like Melbourne Heart"! lol

Another little win!  :)

• Like 4

My wife's uncle is 40, a massive St Kilda fan and up until last season didn't care about the A-League, at all. On New Years Day we were all gathered around a relo's house for a BBQ and my wife told me she didn't want to come to the game so I asked her uncle to come with me...so after we got permission from my wife, his wife, his mum and my wife's grandmother's blessing (the matriarch) he came to the game with me! His little girl (7yo) though almost didn't let him come because her teacher is a massive Victory fan, which means that made her a Victory and she didn't want her teacher to find out that her dad went to a Heart game! lol

Well the best things about that game was, we won, he thought 5.6k crowd was a great crowd for NYDay, he thought the Active Area singing "Oh when the Heart come marching in" was brilliant and he loved how the players came and greeted us after the game. I also gave him a Heart scarf to take home. He's since come to another 3 home games and is close to buying a membership next season.

The best thing to come out of all this, the next time I saw his little 7yo daughter she brought out the Heart scarf I'd given her dad and whispered to me, "Ok I go for Heart now, but don't tell my teacher because he doesn't like Melbourne Heart"! lol

Another little win!  :)

That's awesome hahahaha :D