Melbourne Football

John Aloisi

kingofhearts

Of course, we don't need to ask who is blaming the referee for that penalty.

Talk about being flattered by a 2-1 losing score line. We were completely outclassed - by a Mariners side resting players and missing 7 of their first 11.

Plus the effort from a number of our players was below par. 

Why wasn't Babalj starting. Why wasn't he given decent game time? It won't surprise me if Ange Postecoglou goes after him. 

Look at our game day squad - Hoffman, McAllister, Thompson and it goes on.

We need a massive clear out.

TWG website carrying skuttblebutt about future of Arnie in Oz http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1145744/Mariners-braced-for-Arnold-exit

Comments about Arnie from majority owner Charlesworth include:

“He has managed to achieve success under the most challenging of financial circumstances at this club and that’s a testament to his talent.

“He has been forced to sell player after player to try and bring money into the club.”

Now in 2013/2014 it'd be great if we could say the same thing about JA

TWG website carrying skuttblebutt about future of Arnie in Oz http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1145744/Mariners-braced-for-Arnold-exit

Comments about Arnie from majority owner Charlesworth include:

“He has managed to achieve success under the most challenging of financial circumstances at this club and that’s a testament to his talent.

“He has been forced to sell player after player to try and bring money into the club.”

Now in 2013/2014 it'd be great if we could say the same thing about JA

to be fair he has had 'just a little' more coaching experience including being assistant to the great man himself.

Nicotera5: "why do people say shit like this on our forum?"

It's NOT shit. It's being realistic. Babalj is one of our best players. But he's not even getting decent game time with us since he returned.

Why not?

If he stays in the A League we'd better hope we keep him, because if he's pissed off with Heart since his return he might want out.

• Like 2

I've been as big on the sack JA bandwagon as anyone else, but i don't even think the board has been behind him 100% tbh, even when he was hired.

The club has not allowed for him to go and get the players he wanted, and he has basically had to use the players from the bottom of the barrel (coyne, meuuwis ext) to fill out his team.

Not to excuse him from his poor tactical choices, continuing to play 2-3 players because there best buddies, but that was even to be expected, remember he is a rookie coach making rookie mistakes.

I still believe that yes, he needs to be moved on, but i would like him to be kept at the club in a smaller role.

Someone needs to pull Aloisi in at his press conferences.  Having a manager complain about referees in your last game of season when your team loses 16 of 27 games does not serve any purpose.

Couldn't agree more with this. JA seems to forgot that ref's are not perfect, and even though we have not got the rub of the green this season to speak, he needs to focus more on his players rather than the officiating.

He has been given a job he is not ready for.

He has coached poorly in all facets of the game.

He has shown no genuine signs of improvement.

He has constantly made excuses and blamed others.

I am not sure that he will ever improve to a level where he will be successful as a manager.

If he stays out the helm, I fear Heart will be doomed

• Like 1

He has been given a job he is not ready for.

He has coached poorly in all facets of the game.

He has shown no genuine signs of improvement.

He has constantly made excuses and blamed others.

I am not sure that he will ever improve to a level where he will be successful as a manager.

If he stays out the helm, I fear Heart will be doomed

We really have to try and stay positive at this point. This seasons been extremely poor, noone can argue that. But a lot of things are at play here, scouting, player budget, frequency of injuries (I.e. clubs approach to fitness), player sales, etc. We will likely have JA next season, and probably the one after, but if the club fixes the other areas and gets proper support for JA then there is no reason why we can't improve. Edited by Jake
  • Like 2

Too many people, in my opinion, are trying to scapegoat Aloisi and pretend other factors (such as the players) aren't responsible for our performances and results.

Also, whilst I believe there are a number of legitimate criticisms to be made of Aloisi, I reckon far too simple and sweeping criticisms are being made against him. In particular, that he always makes excuses.

Apart from the one time where Aloisi mentioned the weather (after playing Perth away), which was stupid, he has generally talked about the players or himself being responsible for the performance and result. Such as:

After losing to the Wanderers in Western Sydney Aloisi said: 

''We can't be performing like that,'' the Heart coach said. ''It's not good enough - from everyone. Everyone talks about Fred being out, Simon Colosimo and Aziz [behich], but we've got a squad and the squad has to turn up and play, no matter who plays.

''We were flat from the word go. We weren't good. They totally outplayed us. They were better than us. It's disappointing because, 10 against 11, you expect it to be the other way around.''

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/wanderers-show-real-heart-20130126-2de8x.html

After our recent game against the Phoenix in Wellington Aloisi said:

"I was disappointed in the performance, most of all," he said.

"We didn't threaten them enough.

"We found it hard to get into the game because Wellington pushed us from the start.

"Their front four caused us a lot of problems."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/phoenix-brings-streak-to-an-end/story-fn63e0vj-1226589495521

And after our most recent match Against Adelaide, Aloisi said:

''We haven't won coming from behind this season. When things have been going well we are probably one of the best teams to watch at home. Tonight when we went a goal down the team's head dropped too easily, so that was disappointing. It's happened a lot this year.

''It's everyone together. I take full responsibility, it's why I made a couple of changes [off the bench] early, I thought it would lift the team,'' he said. ''Normally when a team doesn't win you will make changes. If the boys don't perform I will put someone else in.''

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/a-league/lack-of-fight-has-aloisis-axe-poised-20130311-2fwri.html#ixzz2P7QJKKAF

He identifies the only people responsible for our football and results: our players and himself. And the players deserve much of the blame. At AAMI Park we won 7 games and only lost 4. We also won at Etihad at the start of the season. Outside of Victoria, we notched 1 draw and lost every other game. A coach can only do so much. The players need to apply themselves at away matches and coaches shouldn't have to threaten or cajole them to play half decently in away matches.

If we played our away matches like we played our derbies I wouldn't be so dissatisfied. Although we only won the first derby and lost the other two I can't fault the effort and intensity from our players in those games. The first derby we won through Aloisi's high pressing tactic, the second we lost by a single goal in the last minute and the third derby we lost 2-1.

Some people, like kingofhearts, rightly point out that Aloisi has been seriously limited by the players he's had at his disposal. We lost our young stars, Good, Hamill and Babalj just before the season started and needed to play Gerhardt in a different position. We lost 2 of our best, if not our best players, Behich and Marrone, midseason and needed the likes of Walker, Mitchinson and Coyne to take their spots. Next season, once we've gotten rid of the deadwood like Fred, Thompson, Colosimo,Bolton and Coyne and have found (better) replacements, the playing list will be good enough to help us finish up the top end of the table. 

Lastly, people need to realise: who else could coach Heart? There are precious few top quality coaches in Australia , which is why Victory poached Postecoglou and Sydney Fc have been relentlessly trying to poach Graham Arnold. Tony Popovic is the only Australian coach with experience coaching at a respectable European club. Apart from those 3, there really aren't any other really good coaches, there are maybe a few good coaches and the rest are mediocre or bad. Apart from Perth Glory, all 5 clubs that sacked their coach midseason have went sideways or backwards (Sydney with Farina, Wellington with Greenacre, Adelaide with Valkanis and Brisbane with Mulvey). The fact is, if we sacked Aloisi, at best we'd get a coach maybe the same or slighter better, but much more probably we'd get a coach as equal or worse.

Aloisi has had his shortcomings this season. Persevering with Thompson and Colosimo as often as he did (which I believe he did because he thought he'd provide leadership) was really misguided. Aloisi probably should have shaken up the squad more often. The main time he did so was when he dropped Bolton and started playing Redmayne at the start of January, and we won 3 of our 5 matches that month. I reckon he won't be so sentimental and slow to shake up his team in the future. 

Looking forward, there are good reasons for optimism. Scott Munn has said "The board have agreed to invest greater funds on the football budget next year and we expect that will result in an improved performance on the pitch,"  and "That's predominantly for the playing budget."(http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-heart-battles-to-draw-a-crowd-in-bid-to-avoid-wooden-spoon/story-fndkzvnd-1226609130309). So, we won't need to find players who'll play a minimal salary (like Germano) or players who are drawn to the club for something like lifestyle (like Gerhardt). The club spending more on players gives us a great opportunity to build a top squad, superior to the likes of Colosimo, Thompson, Macallister and Coyne. With a solid squad, and not the unbalanced and depth lacking squad we currently have, Aloisi will have absolutely no excuses next season. If Aloisi doesn't show good performances and results several games into next season, I'll be calling for him to be sacked.

• Like 6

Yes, but all those excuses regarding what he said after the Adelaide, Phoenix, WSW, etc. matches aren't just the players' fault. It's also the coach's; if we're not attacking, if we're not competitive, if our game-plan isn't compatible, if our mentality is not up to par, if our performance is lacking, etc. - all these things can be improved by actions and processes put in place by the coach.

Just coz he has a fit at the ref or Burns in the tunnel at half time, doesn't make him a good coach. Coming back out in the second half and changing the formation, the tactics, the players, where we've been "lacking that performance" which will result to scoring goals and winning is what makes a good coach.

Anyway, let's hope he does his homework during the (longer than we'd like) break and come out firing next season!

Edited by Red or Dead

yes weve lost players blah blah so has every other team the problem is that theres no playing style and structure to our game. all the players seem lost on the field which must be the reason why we pass back so much. there is zero movement off the ball, the players dont have confidence going forward and always seem to lose possession when they're under pressure. we are second to every ball and never win back possession because everyone is out of position and the back 4 sit so bloody deep. JA is responsible for all this and didn't do a thing about it during the whole season when this became evident from round 2. His not learning and as a result were not improving.

• Like 1

Furphy1: Apart from Perth Glory, all 5 clubs that sacked their coach midseason have went sideways or backwards (Sydney with Farina, Wellington with Greenacre, Adelaide with Valkanis and Brisbane with Mulvey).

I disagree.

Sydney and Wellington have improved.

Brisbane Roar have improved out of sight.

Just look at the way the players celebrated a goal with Mike Mulvey last week. Morale is clearly high, and the players are obviously playing for the Manager.  It doesn't look like that here.

Mike Mulvey would have done a far better job with us than Aloisi.

Players like Colosimo and Thompson would have had to perform or they would have been dropped.

Lastly, people need to realise: who else could coach Heart? There are precious few top quality coaches in Australia , which is why Victory poached Postecoglou and Sydney Fc have been relentlessly trying to poach Graham Arnold. Tony Popovic is the only Australian coach with experience coaching at a respectable European club. Apart from those 3, there really aren't any other really good coaches, there are maybe a few good coaches and the rest are mediocre or bad. Apart from Perth Glory, all 5 clubs that sacked their coach midseason have went sideways or backwards (Sydney with Farina, Wellington with Greenacre, Adelaide with Valkanis and Brisbane with Mulvey). The fact is, if we sacked Aloisi, at best we'd get a coach maybe the same or slighter better, but much more probably we'd get a coach as equal or worse.

Adelaide did not sack their coach - he resigned. They may have lost some momentum towards the end of the season, but they were never out of the top four, something that we Heart fans could only dream about.

And I don't really think the highlighted sentence is borne out by the finish to the season. With five games to go we were lying 5th/6th; we stopped dead we finished 9th. Sydney and Brisbane went above us, and Wellington finished below us only on goal difference. I would have said that in all four cases, the change in coach produced positive change in on-field performance, whereas we got worse and worse as the season went gone on.

No use crying over spilt milk, but the wrong decision was made for season 2012-13, and MHFC is going to pay for it for several seasons to come.

Edit: Must have been typing at the same time as Parrot!

Edited by jw1739