Melbourne Football

John Aloisi

kingofhearts

Cutting blokes is easy.

Who would you learned gentleman target both Australian based and any international players.

Posters on this forum would do a better job than JD.

It's still a bit unclear how many players we'll have to target for next season, as some of our current players might come good and could be worth signing for next season. For instance, if Dugandzic and Engelaar play well towards the end of the season, then we'll be okay with regards to the RW and DM positions (especially as we'll have Murdocca and maybe Migliorini as well).

So I'm not sure how many players we'll need, and in what positions. But ATM we'll almost certainly need 1 more player in these positions: Striker, Number 10 (ideally a VISA player), Left-back and probably a Centre-back (assuming Mitchinson, Gerhardt and either Kisnorbo or Wielaert are released, which is likely IMO).

I'm not sure who will be available around of the end of the season, either.

But a tentative list of respectable targets IMO is: Adrian Madaschi (only 31 and I understand he's leaving his K-League club), Bresciano (only 33, pretty fit lately, he's a class player and has a Heart connection) and a quality striker like Josh Kennedy (no idea how long his contract is though) or an international marquee.

Like I said though, only towards the end of the season will it be clear how much of our squad should be changed.

The constant use of the phrase "he has the players full support/backing" makes me laugh so much. It reminds me of when you would get a substitute teacher at high school who is clearly fresh out of uni. As soon as they walk through the door the whole class thinks "Oh hell yes! We are going to be able to do what ever the fuck we want here!" After a few minutes there are people hanging out the windows and throwing pencil cases into the fans, but the feedback the class gives to other teachers is 100% positive so they can keep them on.

I guess the board has to make a decision on whether they risk keeping JA on for longer. I'd imagine we are only a bunch of rounds away from our finals chances being totally diminished. Do they make the hard decision before this time comes and 'try' to save our season by getting in a new manager that might be able to turn things around so we make finals? Or do they give JA until the very last game to save the team where finals are impossible to make?

Edited by n i k o

The board isn't stupid, so don't think they don't no they've made a big mistake on JA. What we should be thinking of is, why haven't they sacked him yet...? If I was on the board I wouldn't sack him right this minute , unless the next right person for the job was available right now. We don't have a lot of money to blow so why bring in another 50/50 chance coach to fill in till next season and then have to pay JA out and the new clowns wage.

So we start looking for a great experienced coach which will take time, probably 6months or so. In the mean time, for your fans and your name you try and look half respectable as a club and try see out the season with half decent results. Also you have to keep JA as calm as possible, eg. Scott Mun comes out last week and says JA has our full backing and support and we will get through this... Rubbish Scott, that just means one thing, and that is you suits have come to an agreamant to sack JA when the time is right and not when it's panic time. Lets just ride the wave of shame as a whole this season and back off the board a bit, because I think they can and will turn this mess around.

"The football will come" - John Aloisi.

Shouldn't it be here by now after 20 months??

Has he been watching "Field of Dreams"?? Because this sounds more the like "The Castle" to me - we just need Michael Caton to tell him!!

Its not the results thats important its the vibe.

• Like 2

What we really need is someone at a press conference to ask  'why didn't the football come 15 months ago? Can you please answer the question without using the word unlucky?' JA should be honest and just say

"I'm LUCKY as I got 3 year contract and I'm going nowhere in a hurry, so you all can kiss my well dressed ars and go on sooking about things, nothing will change, see you in Sydney next week, hopefully we'll get LUCKY again"

• Like 1

What we really need is someone at a press conference to ask 'why didn't the football come 15 months ago? Can you please answer the question without using the word unlucky?'JA should be honest and just say

"I'm LUCKY as I got 3 year contract and I'm going nowhere in a hurry, so you all can kiss my well dressed ars and go on sooking about things, nothing will change, see you in Sydney next week, hopefully we'll get LUCKY again"

*arse

I'm most disappointed about the lack of belief JA has in the kids.

The NYL team is playing some pretty good football as a whole, and we know a lot of them have the talent.

We saw Kewell out for weeks, yet Mauk played just 70 minutes total and Schroen hasn't looked like featuring, Kalmar's no spring chicken but he's had just 100 scrappy minutes himself.

Our wingers have been flat, really flat, but we haven't seen any of Garrucio, Dao, Espindola or Kaya even close.

We lost Kisnorbo for 3 weeks and haven't had a solution at RB all season, yet we haven't seen a glimpse of Vrankovic, Mitchinson, Archibald or Petreski, and Walker's had just his 3 starts.

I remember the days Zahra, Aziz, Goodwin, Good, Hamill and Babalj were all thrown in the deep end and flourished under JVS, they brought a hunger to the side, there was a real sense of squad depth, everyone fighting to keep their spots.

At the moment the team lacks creativity and imagination, the starting 11 are taking their places for granted, and Aloisi is too much of a bitch to do anything to address it.

Instead relying on dads army to save his job, which is getting us nowhere.

We are in the exactly same situation as the Socceroos were under Lolger Osieck.

Scared dimwitted coaches are the cancer to football in this country. Just takes us backwards.

Edited by fiz.heart

The answers to all your concerns about JA as a coach can be seen all around us.. Football is the world game and if you look at other examples around the world you can see that JA is way out of his depth.

So why doesn't he play the young players?

Because he has no confidence in his own tactics or systems of play, what you will find all over the world is when a coach is not confident in his own ability and does not have his own football philosophy, he will look for experienced players to help him ie: HK, Kisnobo, Madocca, Wielart, Mifsud... Ange, Arnold and to an extent The AU coach are very clear in what they want and what they expect from their players, therefore there message and instructions can be followed by all players young and old...

The best example of a top class manager is Martinez from Everton..

It's not hard you just need to know what you are doing....

• Like 2

No one on that pathetic show (shame on you sbs) has any idea on what heart supporters have to deal with or on any inner workings of the club itself.

She is over represented and those comments only expose her as someone with barely surface knowledge of the game.

Personally I feel sbs has missed a great opportunity to push our code forward by presenting it in a lighthearted but professional format not as if it was produced by people who brought you "swift shift"

No one on that pathetic show (shame on you sbs) has any idea on what heart supporters have to deal with or on any inner workings of the club itself.

She is over represented and those comments only expose her as someone with barely surface knowledge of the game.

Personally I feel sbs has missed a great opportunity to push our code forward by presenting it in a lighthearted but professional format not as if it was produced by people who brought you "swift shift"

They needed a chick who could pronounce all the Croatian players' names! Have you heard her say Frrraaaanic?

• Like 1

Interesting website, in particular this page...

http://www.ultimatealeague.com/records.php?type=mgr&show=msm

Yeah, interesting.

What would you say ought to be the number of games coached before a reasonable statistic could be obtained - I'd have said the equivalent of one season, i.e. 25 matches? I'd also like to see it expressed as %losses, because I'm surprised to see only a handful of coaches with a %win of over 50% - draws must have a big impact on the figures.

• Like 1

The board haven't made a move due to money, would cost them about 500k to pay JA out for the next 2 seasons.

That's 500k out of their stake when they sell, and they are looking. 

I think the earliest they move on him is in about Feb, when they can just get JVS or Foxe to take over for no extra cost, then negotiate for JA to be paid out for 6 months which may be about 150k.

The board haven't made a move due to money, would cost them about 500k to pay JA out for the next 2 seasons.

I think the earliest they move on him is in about Feb, when they can just get JVS or Foxe to take over for no extra cost, then negotiate for JA to be paid out for 6 months which may be about 150k.

I've heard the same thing, I wonder what this strategy has cost them in the trashed brand name and supporter goodwill? They obviously don't care.

Out of curiosity do you have a source for that figure? I can't believe Heart would be paying Aloisi that much. We signed him in the middle of our cheapskate era, between our 2nd and 3rd seasons. And given that Aloisi had zero senior football coaching experience, I would have to think that we're paying him little.

Aloisi's football education, which is all his coaching reign at Melbourne Heart is (as we are just teaching him about coaching and NOT playing well or getting results), must be costing the club more than whatever his payout would be. We saw a 25% dive in crowd numbers at our last game with a crowd around 6,000, whilst the average for our first 3 homes was 8,000. And surely we'd have a significant increase in memberships if we were winning and/or playing respectable football. Therefore we must be bleeding a lot of forgone revenue due to all of this failure. Surely the club must know about this opportunity cost.

Out of curiosity do you have a source for that figure? I can't believe Heart would be paying Aloisi that much. We signed him in the middle of our cheapskate era, between our 2nd and 3rd seasons. And given that Aloisi had zero senior football coaching experience, I would have to think that we're paying him little.

Aloisi's football education, which is all his coaching reign at Melbourne Heart is (as we are just teaching him about coaching and NOT playing well or getting results), must be costing the club more than whatever his payout would be. We saw a 25% dive in crowd numbers at our last game with a crowd around 6,000, whilst the average for our first 3 homes was 8,000. And surely we'd have a significant increase in memberships if we were winning and/or playing respectable football. Therefore we must be bleeding a lot of forgone revenue due to all of this failure. Surely the club must know about this opportunity cost.

Agreed Murf. A general principle to remember when looking at the costs of terminating a contract or project is to also look at the costs of not doing so. The costs of not removing Aloisi from the role of Head Coach are perhaps less easy to quantify than the costs of sacking him, but as many of us have pointed out it is not necessary to actually "sack him", just sideline him into a technical role.

As it is we are spiralling downwards with absolutely no indication that anything can be turned around. A number of changes are required. JA is just one of them.

• Like 1

Impressed with JA's press conference. Assuming he is still in charge next week I hope he listens to himself as we were all over Sydney in the second half.

We were let down by JA's tactics in the first half and never recovered (again). Each time we have come out firing we look good. Unfortunately the coach either waits until it is too late to fire up or parks the bus after we look all right after which we proceed to throw the game away.

I was talking to a visitors supporter today and he bagged M****t and praised JA. After telling me Heart is going to change names for next season (another South reference) he then said he believed JA would be the next coach of the others once M****t got the flick. I couldn't believe it! :D

Edited by Peter