Melbourne Football

John Aloisi

kingofhearts

As much as we all want it to happen and think it should, I do not see the board sacking Alloisi....No matter how poor the results are and how bad we play, They seem to have so much faith in him, What do they see we dont.

I don't think that is right, I think the club has always been prudent in its decision making. Now you could say JA was a bad decision but they still went through a process to make it. I think now they already have been seeking other candidates whilst basically giving JA every chance they can for him to succeed and he hassnt so id say they will swing the axe. 

10. JOHN ALOISI, Melbourne Heart

Poor John Aloisi. The Socceroos legend is having a torrid time in the coach's box, thrust into the role after just a season as a Youth Coach and his side has struggled to make an impression since. Winless this season, after notching just eight victories last term, the side look bereft of ideas and don't even mention what happens when they fly out of Melbourne. They might as well not go. There's plenty of people who want to see it work but whether the club's hierarchy - who took the gamble of appointing him ahead of Ante Milicic - let him stick out the season, is a big, big if.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/who-holds-the-coaching-aces-in-the-aleague-now-that-postecoglou-arnold-are-gone/story-e6frf4gl-1226770115187#ixzz2ltwwYXaq

Dont like how the Article says he was thrust into the position. Makes out as if he had no choice. He willingly applied and willingly accepted the role

• Like 2

As much as we all want it to happen and think it should, I do not see the board sacking Alloisi....No matter how poor the results are and how bad we play, They seem to have so much faith in him, What do they see we dont.

Possibility exists that since the club is for sale anyway, the board is trying desperately to avoid paying out his contract and having to sign up another coach on substantial salary.

After all the club is worth around 10mil at the moment (according to the owners)

Coaching changes would set them back couple of million and the club wouldn't be worth a cent more anyway.

It's on the bottom as far as results on field and off field attraction to general public.

It's throwing more good money after bad.

• Like 1

10. JOHN ALOISI, Melbourne Heart

Poor John Aloisi. The Socceroos legend is having a torrid time in the coach's box, thrust into the role after just a season as a Youth Coach and his side has struggled to make an impression since. Winless this season, after notching just eight victories last term, the side look bereft of ideas and don't even mention what happens when they fly out of Melbourne. They might as well not go. There's plenty of people who want to see it work but whether the club's hierarchy - who took the gamble of appointing him ahead of Ante Milicic - let him stick out the season, is a big, big if.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/who-holds-the-coaching-aces-in-the-aleague-now-that-postecoglou-arnold-are-gone/story-e6frf4gl-1226770115187#ixzz2ltwwYXaq

Dont like how the Article says he was thrust into the position. Makes out as if he had no choice. He willingly applied and willingly accepted the role

If/when JA is sacked he'll walk into a media position with Fox or SBS, they are re-writing history in preparation, "poor Bambi, his mother was suddenly killed and he was unwittingly thrust before the bright lights before he was ready etc etc... nasty Elmer Fudd came along with his shotgun...'

The club were always going to try to resist sacking the coach. They figure as long as they can pacify the supporters, then the club can muddle along with its mediocrity. 

As long as the club continues to be made aware that supporters are really unhappy with the status quo, then there's no chance that they'll persist with Aloisi, as the long term costs of keeping Aloisi as head coach will heavily outweigh the short term costs of removing him.

That the club felt the need to make this video just shows that they're receiving massive pressure from supporters, and they know that the action demanded is to get rid of the guy in the video.

Just a bit more pressure from the supporters, and a bit more failure from Aloisi, will force the club to sack Aloisi very soon.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

The club were always going to try to resist sacking the coach. They figure as long as they can pacify the supporters, then the club can muddle along with its mediocrity. 

As long as the club continues to be made aware that supporters are really unhappy with the status quo, then there's no chance that they'll persist with Aloisi, as the long term costs of keeping Aloisi as head coach will heavily outweigh the short term costs of removing him.

That the club felt the need to make this video just shows that they're receiving massive pressure from supporters, and they know that the action demanded is to get rid of the guy in the video.

Just a bit more pressure from the supporters, and a bit more failure from Aloisi, will force the club to sack Aloisi very soon.

Hmm. This is the dog rolling over on its back. The gush of tears. The abuser saying he's sorry, that he really does love you and please give him another chance.

If we take the pressure off, nothing will change. So the pressure has to be kept on.

I'll keep supporting the team, whatever happens. It's not actually losing or being bottom that really hurts. It's because we've moved away from Heart's original values that it hurts all the more. And JA is a visible and integral part of that.

I want a return to our founding values, and I want fair dinkum truthful communications from the club. No more of this Kewell-saga bullshit thank you.

• Like 2

There's no doubting JA's passion and connection and commitment to the club, we all share that. There's no doubting his intentions, that isn't the issue, the question is about how to turn around the club's on field and off field fortunes and the best people to do it. There is nothing in his message about why he is the person to do this and how he will make it happen. I feel for him because he is passionate and undoubtedly hates our present situation but i think that a better coach is but one of many changes that need to happen.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 5

all he talks about is his passion and his higlights as a player.

You are not a player anymore John! You are our first team coach, stop reminiscing on the past.

This is important. Aloisi could only say that he's helped turn around a team's hard times as a player. But there's a world of difference between playing and coaching, hence why Diego Maradona is a mediocre coach (at best).

This video just shows that even Aloisi himself couldn't put forward an argument as to how Aloisi the coach will turn our situation around. 

Was just waiting for

"And because of my passion for and desire to see this club succeed, I shal admit that I stepped into the head coaching role too early. I wasn't ready and am still not. I am stepping down as head coah and taking a development role with the club"

But it never came.

This is just so desperate. Sadly you've lost the fans John and no matter what happens Sunday it won't change much at all.

• Like 2

As if the club would release this if he was getting the sack, we're in for the long haul I'm afraid.

WE'RE OFFICIALLY AT STAGE 3 PEOPLE!

The 5 Stages of Grief:

1 Denial

2 Anger

3 Bargaining

4 Depression 

5 Acceptance

Hopefully we reach stage 4 Sunday evening and stage 5 by Monday morning.

LR9 

I hit # 4 on the way home from last weeks game 

Last season perth needed 32 points to get into finals on percentage, which is the lowest points required by a team to make finals over the last 3 seasons. So I'd say while we have any chance of getting into finals no matter how slim it may be JA will be around, most probably until round 16 or 17.

Last season perth needed 32 points to get into finals on percentage, which is the lowest points required by a team to make finals over the last 3 seasons. So I'd say while we have any chance of getting into finals no matter how slim it may be JA will be around, most probably until round 16 or 17.

Not having a dig, just think Footballs far too predictable to just put the points difference between last year and where we are this year. Realistically, we would need 40 points by the end of the season to reach finals.

This is what shits me. We are last and playing poorly and expectation of the club is scraping into the top 6.

Perth did it says our CEO.

No ambition at the club. It's not about existing for me it's about excelling. Mighty difference. Right now the club are just wanting to exist.

The aim and target should be winning it all. Then preparing for the ACL. Then excelling there too.

It's not about being the greatest team this city has seen. It's about being the greatest team Asia has seen.

We are from Melbourne. The greatest city in the world with a culture of sport loving people. We have all the makings of being the biggest and best teams in the whole of Asia because of this.

I have never heard or seen our objectives match this though. Just excuses why we fail.

Time for change and aiming for the absolute best. Not resting till that little town in Japan have heard of that mighty team from Melbourne.aiming to have full rocking stadiums and Winning titles.

Enough of settling. Enough of just existing. Enough.

• Like 2

Not having a dig, just think Footballs far too predictable to just put the points difference between last year and where we are this year. Realistically, we would need 40 points by the end of the season to reach finals.

No I agree, I wasn't intending to mean that we need the same points as last season to get to finals, as you said, realistically we would need 40 points to get into finals. I just used it as an example that if we needed the same amount of points as last season to get into finals and we hadn't won by round 16/17 the club may act on removing JA. Its quite possible that until that point in time arrives where it's almost impossible to get into finals, aloisi will remain to be manager at heart.

This is what shits me. We are last and playing poorly and expectation of the club is scraping into the top 6.

Perth did it says our CEO.

No ambition at the club. It's not about existing for me it's about excelling. Mighty difference. Right now the club are just wanting to exist.

The aim and target should be winning it all. Then preparing for the ACL. Then excelling there too.

It's not about being the greatest team this city has seen. It's about being the greatest team Asia has seen.

We are from Melbourne. The greatest city in the world with a culture of sport loving people. We have all the makings of being the biggest and best teams in the whole of Asia because of this.

I have never heard or seen our objectives match this though. Just excuses why we fail.

Time for change and aiming for the absolute best. Not resting till that little town in Japan have heard of that mighty team from Melbourne.aiming to have full rocking stadiums and Winning titles.

Enough of settling. Enough of just existing. Enough.

All sounds good what you mentioned and it's good to be ambitious, but we barely win against Victorian Premier league clubs let alone aim for ACL.The club has truly gone backwards.

To play in the finals we would need to win 13 of our remaining 20 games. Whilst that is mathematically and physically possible, given that we have not won even one of our past 12 games, it is very unlikely. And as each game passes without a win, playing in finals becomes even more unlikely.

Clutching at this straw, and two "appeals" to supporters (one from the CEO and one from the Head Coach) in two days just emphasises how far we have fallen, both physically and psychologically, in one short season and a bit.

The remedy is simple. The longer it is delayed the more necessary it will be for there to be further changes.

Do the club think were all stupid? We watch every game, every week and we can see that its not just good luck and a couple wins that will turn our season around. The issues are so much deeper than that. The on-field chemistry is horribly bad for a professional football team as the players look totally lost out on the pitch every single week. They keep telling us to 'believe'.. but in what exactly? How are we as fans meant to believe in something when we are seeing no signs of improvement.

• Like 3

I honestly don't think this guy is going anywhere. The club is really trying to suck up and justify his position.

I do think it's a bit harsh on JA, it's clear the players haven't given a fuck for a long time, and that there are other aspects of the club that really need to be improved. However, he should be able to rouse a bit of passion and fight in the squad, and manage at least one result, despite poor circumstances.

It's clear that it's time for him to go, but we can't stop fighting once he does, still a long way to go before this club starts to see success.

I honestly don't think this guy is going anywhere. The club is really trying to suck up and justify his position.

I do think it's a bit harsh on JA, it's clear the players haven't given a fuck for a long time, and that there are other aspects of the club that really need to be improved. However, he should be able to rouse a bit of passion and fight in the squad, and manage at least one result, despite poor circumstances.

It's clear that it's time for him to go, but we can't stop fighting once he does, still a long way to go before this club starts to see success.

I'll agree with you on some points, like the club ain't going to sack him , ( due to financial constraints), but i don't think it harsh to criticize JA

He took the job on when he clearly wasn't ready, he keeps making the point about how good we are, just need some luck, there has been no improvement in our game plan, the cattle we have are fine, a half decent coach could do something with them .

I'm not saying another coach would have us top of the table, but we would not be where we are

As if the club would release this if he was getting the sack, we're in for the long haul I'm afraid.

WE'RE OFFICIALLY AT STAGE 3 PEOPLE!

The 5 Stages of Grief:

1 Denial

2 Anger

3 Bargaining

4 Depression 

5 Acceptance

Hopefully we reach stage 4 Sunday evening and stage 5 by Monday morning.

LR9 

I hit # 4 on the way home from last weeks game 

Did anyone else realize when he was talking about his "passion for the club" he spoke about the game against united except in the video he said he scored the equalizer when really he scored the winner  :droy: some passion can't even get the facts right

"There's no doubting his intentions, that isn't the issue, the question is about how to turn around the club's on field and off field fortunes"

1. Make our players when defending be calm, organised and in control and also don't give away silly penalties nor give the ball to the opposition with a poor touch or passing.  If any players are not up to this, then recruit new players.

2. Make our players have confidence in themselves in front of goal and expect to score unlike currently when they have scoring chances, including numerous sitters. The difference in quality and confidence was highlighted by the 3 goals Adam Taggart scored against us last week. Our players would have scored 0. If any of our attacking players are not up to this, then recruit new players.

Pressure builds on Melbourne Heart coach John Aloisi

Michael Lynch   November 30, 2013

John Aloisi will front the media early on Saturday morning to go through his pre-match spiel ahead of the clash with Adelaide United on Sunday afternoon, knowing his body language and demeanour will be dissected for signs of stress and emotion.

Such is the way when a coach is under the hammer. He is never, these days, given time to work things through, to turn things around or experiment. If results don't come, and come quickly, the demand for a fresh face gathers momentum.

Aloisi has had time. He took the head coaching position at Melbourne Heart at the beginning of the 2012-13 season, so he is now nearly a season and a half into his coaching career. His statistics, at least for 2013, look depressing. Heart hasn't won since defeating Sydney FC late last season, and it has only scored three goals in seven games this season, collecting two points along the way.

Has he had enough time? Plenty will say yes, arguing Heart knew what it was doing when it appointed such an inexperienced No.1 and an assistant in Hayden Foxe who, like Aloisi, played at a high level but had almost no coaching experience.

Others will say that he should be given until at least the halfway mark of the season, if not longer, to try to turn things around.

Aloisi knew the risks inherent when he backed himself into a high-level job after just one season as a youth team coach.

The A-League is not a paddling pool, where hesitant swimmers learn their strokes: it's the deep end, and if you dive in you have to swim well, otherwise the sharks will get you.

He also knew Heart wasn't the best-resourced club in the league. But even he and Foxe might have been surprised by the level of privation they have had to deal with, particularly this season.

Heart has become somewhat nomadic, travelling and training around the city. While most clubs have a home base that brings familiarity and comfort for the players, Heart has no such luxury.

One week it seems to be training at Epping, where it has also played some friendly matches, then it is at Lakeside, home of Victorian Premier League club South Melbourne, which earlier this year launched an ambitious (Heart regarded it as underfunded and cheeky) bid to buy it.

Occasionally it can be found at Trinity College's sports fields in Bulleen, a lavishly appointed set-up (as so many of the private schools facilities are) that would be the envy of many a professional club. Other venues include La Trobe University (where its administration is based), Port Melbourne, Gosch's Paddock and AAMI Park (the day before a home game), and a handful of other grounds dotted around the suburbs.

Surely such a disjointed training schedule makes it harder to put players through tactical drills and game simulations.

It's not an excuse - other clubs have overcome difficult circumstances and done well - but it is a form of mitigation.

Aloisi is a decent man who has been with Heart since its inception. The club put a lot of faith in him. Perhaps too much. Maybe it should have insisted, when it picked him instead of his main rival for the job - then assistant coach Ante Milicic - that he work with an experienced assistant coach to offer help and guidance.

Yes, Heart did enlist the services of Ron Smith, once a Perth Glory coach but better known as the Socceroos' technical analyst, to help Aloisi with scouting and game analysis.

But the experienced Smith stayed mainly at his Canberra base, communicating through Skype and other digital media, sending film and downloads via the internet: it's all very technically up to speed, but sometimes an old-fashioned presence on the ground is what is needed.

There are plenty of coaches circling in the wings, waiting for the call-up from Heart's directors should the board run out of patience, either this week (if Heart loses) or at the midway point of the season, if the campaign is a total write-off.

In a league such as this, with no promotion and relegation, the penalty for failure is not as acute as it is in most countries.

But for Heart, continued failure just sees it slip further and further behind Melbourne Victory, and it cannot afford to become an irrelevance.

Whether it goes with Aloisi into the future or not - and much could depend on Sunday's match - it needs to sort out the off-field situation to give the staff and players some stability.

If the board decides to use the money from player sales to retire debt and cut its losses, that is its choice. But it also has to realise that such savings - on players, grounds and infrastructure - does have its own costs. And it's inevitably the coaching staff, whatever their failings, that pay the price.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/pressure-builds-on-melbourne-heart-coach-john-aloisi-20131129-2yh6y.html