Melbourne Football

Melb Knight vs MHFC: Post Game Thoughts.

biancorosso7

Agree with the Kalmar comment, was off the boiler last night. As was Walker, didn't impress me.

12 was Guerrero del Solar, plays/ed at Hume. Willo looked fitter and quicker than previously and impressed me.

There was still something missing, Fred showed the link between the back 4 and the DMs to the forwards, and we didnt have that in the first half. If Fred goes down with another injury, I would have thought Govas could have easily filled that spot, but now, not sure who the "AM" back up is.

Willo looked in good nick, seemed fitter and quicker than last season. Just need to put the ball into space for him to put the after burners on.

Was the first time I have seen Walker, I hold no judgement on the performace as from what I know he isn't going to be a target man and he was just being given long balls in the 2nd half.

Guerro or however you spell it looked really good but will be behind Mate in the pecking order if he is able to get a gig, providing he has Australian nationality.

Redmayne was solid, so much better than Roganovic and Mattei, great to have competition for the GK spot.

Best on ground was the Cevapi roll though, went down a treat and I was burping up the flavours for the boss when I got home.

• Like 2

There was some sort of 'incident' towards the car-park end of the grandstand. A few of the hotheads were agitated about something or other. People were standing up to look at it, so I couldn't see what it was.

To the game. Quite frankly IMO we were very disjointed. We are not moving the ball smoothly though the midfield, with players moving into space to receive the ball. Players are very static, too often their first touch is poor and backwards, there is too much passing backwards and then humping the long ball forward.

Redmayne is a class act. I rate him way above Bolton, agility, reaction time, in the air...all aspects.

Gerhardt and Colosimo are solid enough, but they cut out the midfield with those long balls as above. Aziz worked hard as always. Marrone disappoints me again...he doesn't seem to want to link up with his winger. I'd like to see us sign someone to put real pressure on him.

Germano looked lost, Kalmar couldn't last the distance, and Macallister was lethargic as the game went on. Hoffman is not a midfielder. Williams is just not a left-winger...as much as anyone I'd like to see him firing again but he isn't...the control isn't there nor is the pace.

Apart from Redders, positives for me were del Solar (no. 12), and seeing Fred and Golgol on the field for the first time. Golgol showed flashes, but his control let him down when he might have scored, and Fred obviously has a long way to go. Just can't believe we haven't looked at del Solar before...

IMO Aloisi, Foxe and co. have a got a hell of a lot to do before we come up against A-League opposition.

We have been looking at del Solar:

FORMER CHILEAN YOUTH STAR KICKS OFF AUSTRALIAN CAREER IN STYLE

After agreeing to terms with Victorian Premier League contenders Hume City this week, Jose Guerrero del Solar repaid the club with a goal and a penalty earned, in his first senior match in Australia as Hume beat Northcote 3-1 in a pre-season trial in Shepparton yesterday.

“It was a fantastic feeling to score for my new club” said the former Cobreloa junior “I have a lot of improving to do to adapt to the Australian style of football”

Guerrero del Solar has already caught the eye of Socceroo hero John Aloisi, the youth coach at Melbourne Heart, where he has been training since arriving from Chile. He is also on the radar of Brisbane Roar, Sydney FC and Gold Coast United.

“I just want to thank Louie (Acevski – Hume coach) and everyone at Hume for giving me this opportunity to start my Australian career” said Guerrero del Solar.

The young midfield flyer played a season for Knox City juniors before moving to Chile with his father. He developed under the strong Chilean system, making his senior debut at 17 with Cobreloa.

He has now returned to Australia and is based in Melbourne where he lives with his mother, believing that senior football in Australia will provide him with better pathways into Asia and Europe.

“It’s hard for young Chilean players to get opportunities overseas” he said. “Working with Heart and Hume has been a fantastic start to this stage of my career. I look forward to repaying everybody for the faith they have put in me”

http://www.facebook....nithsem?sk=wall

It seems he was trialling with Sydney FC last week too.

Edited by Sash

You mean your not happy about a 2-0 win fielding unfit players and m

trialists? I thought the game was promising vs a proud and strong side. Infact, there were a couple of players who played for the knights, that could have slotted straight into the team we fielded on Wednesday night. The heart showed plenty of character and confidence coming out of defence. And once Fred came on, he added another attacking presence that complimented the way JA wants the team to play.

We play pre season games against quality sides and the Melbourne knights are The pick of the bunch. The supporters are proud and the club is strong. Hats off to them for staying alive and growing strong while other clubs are thinning away with there old wog supporters. And, to be honest, its a shame that the knights supporters aren't willing to join up with an A-League team... They would fit right in with us.

...but what would I know...

Edited by Deviate

Don't want to dwell too much on Wednesday's incident, but I think it's safe too say we probably won't play another game against Melbourne Knights in a long time and if we ever do, it will probably be behind closed doors. Scott Munn and a few other club officials were over the incident and didn't look too happy about what occured.

As for Deviate's commments. We already have planty of Knights fans that follow Melbourne Heart. But the unsavoury element of their support will never be welcome at our games, and I doubt they'd ever entertain it either.

• Like 4

Now after the 'incident' - in a pre-season game for gods sake - I understand why we'll never have a FFA Cup and why VPL clubs will never return to the big time.

Kids running off crying is just about enough to shut our doors, families not returning to watch our games for the safety of their kids/family, they tell their friends, they tell others etc = disaster. The AFL media will have a field day if they ever find out about this.

would hope we're looking for a DM as back up for Gerhardt, would rather not see Germano slotted in there as he offers us more energy and movement going forward rather than anchoring the midfield. Still wouldn't complain if Grella was signed and Gerhardt became our 1st choice CB.

• Like 1

"we're looking for a DM at the moment"

i'm confused... isn't that what we signed Gerhardt for? Sounds like Aloisi is really hoping on bringing Grella down

That's exactly how I interpreted that statement.

It was also a bit strange that Aloisi said we already have players who play the same way Govas does. We could use another winger and another attacking midfielder IMO, and Govas seemed like he could play either position decently.

• Like 1

That's exactly how I interpreted that statement.

It was also a bit strange that Aloisi said we already have players who play the same way Govas does. We could use another winger and another attacking midfielder IMO, and Govas seemed like he could play either position decently.

just because we have players who play the same way that Govas does, doesn't mean they are better than him. I welcome any upgrade on a position to the club, no matter where or how they play. We need to keep improving our squad in all areas

I have got to say that interview does not fill me with confidence for the style of football JA will dish up this season. Seems like it will be a long ballathon against any team that pushes up on us.......which will be most of the them.

At least there was a refreshing honesty in 'We didn't play that well tonight.'

But I agree with you - I'd hoped for a lot more from a new coaching team than that old-style long ball stuff.

Like others I'm also confused now as to just exactly where we're going with the remaining signings.

At least there was a refreshing honesty in 'We didn't play that well tonight.'

But I agree with you - I'd hoped for a lot more from a new coaching team than that old-style long ball stuff.

Like others I'm also confused now as to just exactly where we're going with the remaining signings.

Its more concerning to me that a VPL team putting pressure on our back line in a pre-season game is enough of a reason to abandon playing out from the back in favour of balls over the top. These sort of games is where I would expect them to keep playing out from the back no matter how poorly they are playing to try and get used to doing it in a game situation.

just because we have players who play the same way that Govas does, doesn't mean they are better than him. I welcome any upgrade on a position to the club, no matter where or how they play. We need to keep improving our squad in all areas

But we can't be upgrading existing contracted players because they're, err, contracted. We're not going to pay anyone out of their contract. They seem to be seeking different skills and attributes to what we already have, which makes sense tactically. I guess they just didn't feel that Govas provided enough difference, although he may have been better than some players we already have. With such a small squad they do need to be careful in who is offered a contract. Govas could be back in the future.

Yes, and chances are he won't be available. The point is we don't have the spots to put him on now.

Yes we do, but the club doesn't want to use the, so they can they save a few $'s.

We have 5 spots still available, but the club only wish to use 2 more.

Yes we do, but the club doesn't want to use the, so they can they save a few $'s.

We have 5 spots still available, but the club only wish to use 2 more.

So the two left are reserved for a DM and another position. Do we know what role they want to use the last one for?

Not strictly true...well, not the public position anyway! The rationale is so that we have three spots vacant in case we need to bolster the squad during the season or promote a NYL player to a senior contract. To avoid the Madaschi/Reid/Goodwin situations.

So the two left are reserved for a DM and another position. Do we know what role they want to use the last one for?

Until the Aloisi interview it was an AM and a 'forward utility' player.

BTW, Didulica tweeted a couple of days ago, in reply to a question, that there would be '...at least two more...' signings.