Melbourne Football

Melb Knight vs MHFC: Post Game Thoughts.

biancorosso7

Not strictly true...well, not the public position anyway! The rationale is so that we have three spots vacant in case we need to bolster the squad during the season or promote a NYL player to a senior contract. To avoid the Madaschi/Reid/Goodwin situations.

Until the Aloisi interview it was an AM and a 'forward utility' player.

BTW, Didulica tweeted a couple of days ago, in reply to a question, that there would be '...at least two more...' signings.

I agree that it's probably to save money that Heart don't want to sign many more players. There may be some truth to the promoting youth to senior contracts argument, but only Groenewald and Zac Walker might get promoted. I think that is so because they both have played with the senior team in a preseason match.

If Heart sign a DM it would have to be Vince Grella or Jacob Poscoliero. If it is someone else they are leaving it late to make the final signings.

Grella is presumably the signing, because I don't think we really need another DM, but we could always use quality Socceroos.

If the DM is either Grella or Poscoliero we still need to sign two 20 year old or younger players, so Heart would have three signings remaining. I'm real interested to see what young players Heart sign. Vrankovic has so far been an impressive surprise signing, and hopefully the last two youngsters are of comparable quality to him.

Edited by Murfy1

In Football Manager you can just leave spots open instead of filling player requirements like the three U21s. Is this the same in real life?

Nope, you need 3 players aged 20 or under. All teams do (except Wellington I believe, but I think they have a different arrangement). Perth have 4, Victory have 5 and we have 1 (Vrankovic). Selling Hamill, Good and Babalj largely explains our lack of players under 20 at the moment, but we need 3 under 20 players before the season starts.

I expect like Vrankovic the two players will be signed quickly enough. And probably like Vrankovic I'll never have heard of either of them. Hopefully like last season we'll have a couple of young guns who can immediately step into A-League matches and make an impact.

• 2 years later...