Melbourne Football

FFA Cup - Round of 16: City v Newcastle, AAMI Park, August 29 @ 7.30

Harrison

24 minutes ago, Embee said:

If you want to get technical about it, Atkinson has probably spent more time in the youth teams as a winger than he ever did as a full back.

People are reading too deep into this situation IMO, O'Halloran will get his chance, we're still a long way from the beginning of the season and none of us really have any idea as to each player's individual fitness levels or training performances so far.

Agree. It's pretty simple. Delbridge played a good game. Wales was done fitness wise. Atakinson needs game time. The most logical choice was made.

O'Halloran and Caceras weren't on. Surely no one in their right mind would read anything into that with regards to their roles during season proper. 

1 minute ago, Shahanga said:

Maybe you (and a lot of others) just judged him way too quick.

A doubt he’s improved quickly.

FWIW I haven’t formed a view yet.

Well fingers crossed he has. I think he would be an improvement on Muscat as a utility if he reduces the number of silly errors he makes

9 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Maybe you (and a lot of others) just judged him way too quick.

A doubt he’s improved quickly.

FWIW I haven’t formed a view yet.

I dunno, last season he struggled to make a pass, this season he is bombing forward and skinning players and he looks alot fitter now too. 

Granted this may be a flash in the pan performance for him, but it seems that now having settled in he is showing what the scouts must have seen in him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Inchcolm said:

I enjoyed the game. We were solid at the back and limited them to a couple of chances. It is creating goal opportunities that concerns me. Granted our goal was a flowing move with a wonderful finish. But we created very few opportunities. The only criticism I have was putting a right back on to play as a winger when he had a winger on the bench. Very strange decision.

Agree with your comments on both attack and defence. Consistent with a lot of last year though when we got a lot of goals from set pieces and didn’t concede many.

in regards to subs, Joyce is pretty eccentric and rarely seems to use the bench like you’d expect. Certainly last year he never really saw it as a tool to change the game, for instance.  Even so my first thought was OHalloran has done something to annoy Joyce, but who knows.

21 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I hope FFA has the bloody seagull deterrent siren going next time around. Jeez the birds were a nuisance at the Southern End last night.

Aberdeen had the same problem. They went to a local bird of prey sanctuary. I think  they hired a couple of hawks. They put them up on match days. The seagulls disappeared prity dam quick.

To be fair you cannot compare a FFA Cup game with an average A League game. 

Worldwide cup fixtures are generally way below normal League games.

3.6k to me was probably a little less than I'd expected, I thought 4.5 to 5k but it was freezing, not Ballarat freezing but really cold.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Inchcolm said:

Aberdeen had the same problem. They went to a local bird of prey sanctuary. I think  they hired a couple of hawks. They put them up on match days. The seagulls disappeared prity dam quick.

Since when has the UK had any kind of dangerous animal?

13 hours ago, Inchcolm said:

Why don't they just put plastic bags on poles like all the wogs in Lalor and Thomastown do? Has worked perfectly for many years.

11 hours ago, Jovan said:

To be fair you cannot compare a FFA Cup game with an average A League game. 

Worldwide cup fixtures are generally way below normal League games.

3.6k to me was probably a little less than I'd expected, I thought 4.5 to 5k but it was freezing, not Ballarat freezing but really cold.

But we keep making excuses. Who can be fucked watching a pack of seagulls fighting over a chip at the MCG throughout the winter while your team is last? They still get a decent crowd in tens of thousands.

• Like 1

off topic but, shout out to whoever made this compilation....looking back at 2-3 years ago who knew active would see a change in numbers, wish we could all get together again and support the one team we love...WSW game should boost up the numbers in active , fingers crossed the away bay doesn't outnumber our active

On 9/5/2018 at 9:06 PM, Inchcolm said:

Does anyone know if there is a friendly arranged next week in preparation for this game? There was one before the last round.

Probably not. I don't keep records of it all, but a casual glance suggests that clubs aren't playing as many pre-season matches this season as in the past. Of course there's still 6 or so weeks to go, but so far we haven't played any NPL clubs or "select XIs", which we did in the past - certainly in the Heart days we did. Of course there is now the FFA Cup until you get knocked out.

Another odd one. In most countries they start preseason 4- 5 weeks before the start of the season. In the preseason they get fit and match fit. It has been proven there is a difference between being fit and being match fit and the only way to get match fit is to play. It Scotland the preseason will have 4 to 5 games sometimes 2 matches a week before the season begins to get players match fit. The cup is also a special tournament and every team is in it to win it, therefore preparation is vital, hence my enquiry about a game.. That is why it is difficult for me  to understand the lack of matches in preseason.  But then again i am still trying to digest A League football and it does give me indigestion occasionally.:)

2 hours ago, Inchcolm said:

Another odd one. In most countries they start preseason 4- 5 weeks before the start of the season. In the preseason they get fit and match fit. It has been proven there is a difference between being fit and being match fit and the only way to get match fit is to play. It Scotland the preseason will have 4 to 5 games sometimes 2 matches a week before the season begins to get players match fit. The cup is also a special tournament and every team is in it to win it, therefore preparation is vital, hence my enquiry about a game.. That is why it is difficult for me  to understand the lack of matches in preseason.  But then again i am still trying to digest A League football and it does give me indigestion occasionally.:)

The club do play a fair few friendlies behind closed doors. The difference this season may be that they are all behind closed doors.

On 9/5/2018 at 1:06 PM, Inchcolm said:

Does anyone know if there is a friendly arranged next week in preparation for this game? There was one before the last round.

To ruffle some feathers, Victory has a friendly today in Ballarat vs Western Sydney