Melbourne Football

Warren Joyce. As predicted by Serb Hair Dresser.. Goneski

Dylan

I like that. Long overdue that the media should be ripping into City for another-achieving season so far. Yes, we won the Cup with three solid performances against A-League clubs and are the only team to beat Sydney this season. But the Cup doesn't take us into Asia, and we have to do a lot more than that.

I hope the media keeps up the pressure.

• Like 3

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/01/11/amor-rejects-city-rumours

Adelaide United coach Guillermo Amor has been rumoured to take on Melbourne City's vacant position, but the Spaniard has denied any interest in the role.
Source: AAP
11 JAN 2017 - 8:24 PM  UPDATED 44 MINS AGO
With City yet to name a replacement for John van 't Schip, a number of names have been linked with the job, but Amor dismissed the prospect of him switching sides on Wednesday.

"I don't speak with anyone (at City)," he said.

"I am coach here and I am with Adelaide in this moment with a fantastic group."

After claiming the premiership-championship double in 2016, the Reds have had a reversal of fortunes as they sit at the bottom of the A-League after a miserable start to their title defence.

Having lost nine of their opening 14 matches, Amor said his focus was on returning pride to the Reds.

"We've suffered a lot in every game we don't win," he said.

"For me it's a challenge for me and the players to win tomorrow and to try and win more games."

Edited by haz

2 minutes ago, Jestr said:

You are guaranteed another clone who will tow the line and bend over cfg way. 

No strong individual characters need apply

Agree. Can't see our style drastically changing with a new manager

Edited by haz

3 minutes ago, hakz7 said:

The style may not change. But a manager who is a real motivator and accepts nothing but the best from players will make a difference.

I also can't see why we cannot play possession football but at the same time be a lot more effective with the ball and also defend counter-attacks. What we're doing is not learning from our mistakes, or learning from what works and does not work. To concede yet again in the last five minutes of a match (how often this season so far?) is incompetence rather than a failure of possession football.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I also can't see why we cannot play possession football but at the same time be a lot more effective with the ball and also defend counter-attacks. What we're doing is not learning from our mistakes, or learning from what works and does not work. To concede yet again in the last five minutes of a match (how often this season so far?) is incompetence rather than a failure of possession football.

Yeah it's not that the intended style doesn't work but rather our implementation of it. 

High pressing and high possession means more errors and when opposition teams are playing a deep defensive counter then the result is easy goals. This league has not got the high quality players therefore when critical errors occur the basic long ball transition will beat any team using those HPHP tactics. Easy solution is not to press high.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

Heard it through Greek media. Let's wait and see.

So is this greek newsreader the greek construction worker and does some news reading on the side?

Just now, 3 Points said:

Did the link open article? It did for me. Heading says MÍCHEL VERS L'AUSTRALIE ?

I translated it

• Like 2

French article reads: 

C’est une information Lucarne Opposée. De source proche de Melbourne City, le second club de la ville de Melbourne aurait coché le nom de l’entraîneur Espagnol pour remplacer John van’t Ship !

soutientipeee.jpg

Le club de Melbourne City a dû se séparer de John van’t Ship pour raisons personnelles (ce dernier devant se rendre au chevet de son papa malade aux Pays-Bas). Depuis le club lui recherche un successeur. La style de l’ancien coach est tel que le remplaçant recherché ne peut être que de son standing, ce qui n’est pas une mince chose à trouver pour Melbourne. Le club avait notamment suivi Guillermo Amor, légende du FC Barcelone et entraîneur actuel d’Adélaïde United. L’Espagnol, qui avait déjà refusé d’être assistant de Pep Guardiola cette année à Manchester, a décliné l’offre, tout comme Josep Gombau actuel entraîneur des U23 Australiens.

Mais les Citizens australiens pourraient se tourner vers un autre Espagnol. Ainsi, l’expérience de Míchel González, ancien entraîneur de l’Olympique de Marseille où de l’Olympiakos Le Pirée avec qui il a été double champion, semble satisfaire un board des Citizens en quête du titre suprême en fin de saison. Il serait ainsi la piste numéro 1 du club, actuel troisième de A-league.

A propos de l'auteur
Antoine Blanchet-Quérin
Author: Antoine Blanchet-Quérin
twitter.png
Reporter du football australien (Socceroos, A-League, FFA Cup, NPL) en France pour Lucarne Opposée.
Merci de vous identifier pour pouvoir poster un commentaire
  • Identifiant
  • Mot de passe
S'IDENTIFIER
 Se souvenir de moi
  • Aucun commentaire trouvé
2 minutes ago, Dylan said:

So is this greek newsreader the greek construction worker and does some news reading on the side?

I translated it

Comprendo, now

TRANSLATED

The club Melbourne City had to separate John van't Ship for personal reasons (the latter to get to his ailing father in the Netherlands). Since the club looks for a successor. The style of former coach is such that the desired replacement can not be that of his standing, which is not an easy thing to find in Melbourne . The club had especially followed Guillermo Amor, the legendary FC Barcelona and current coach of Adelaide United . The Spaniard, who had refused to be assistant to Pep Guardiola this year in Manchester , declined the offer, as did Josep c Gombau Gombau current Australian U23 coach.

But the Australian Citizens could turn to another Spaniard. Thus, the experience of Míchel González, former coach of Olympique Marseille where the Olympiacos with whom he was double champion, seems to satisfy a board of  Citizens in search of the supreme title at season's end. It would thus be the track number 1 of the club, current third of A-league.

http://lucarne-opposee.fr/index.php/30-news/express/4910-michel-vers-l-australie

Edited by haz

Rough translation. It's speculation, but it does say first that both Amor and Gombau have turned down the opportunity.

"The club of Melbourne City had to separate from John van't Ship for personal reasons (the latter had to go to the bedside of his sick dad in the Netherlands). Since the club looks for him a successor. The style of the former coach is such that the substitute sought can only be of its standing, which is not a small thing to find for Melbourne. The club followed in particular Guillermo Amor, legend of FC Barcelona and current coach of Adelaide United. The Spaniard, who had already refused to be Pep Guardiola's assistant this year in Manchester, declined the offer, as did Josep Gombau currently coach of the U23 Australians.

But the Australian Citizens could turn to another Spaniard. The experience of Míchel González, former coach of Olympique de Marseille where Olympiakos Piraeus with whom he was double champion, seems to satisfy a board of the Citizens in search of the supreme title at the end of the season. It would thus be the track number 1 of the club, current third of A-league."

• Like 2

I'm probably clutching at straws, but let's hope that CFG are indeed moving quicker rather than slower, and that they are aiming high rather than low. Thursday's result wouldn't have done MvS' s chances of permanancy any good, so perhaps there's something in the Michel rumour.

So he did not win a title in either Greece or France, dismissed by his last two clubs because they went on a winless streak. Ok he may have coached at much higher leagues but I would prefer someone who has actually won something.

1 minute ago, NewConvert said:

So he did not win a title in either Greece or France, dismissed by his last two clubs because they went on a winless streak. Ok he may have coached at much higher leagues but I would prefer someone who has actually won something.

I take that back he has won silverware in Greece.

7 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

I take that back he has won silverware in Greece.

Four trophies in Greece. Actually his coaching record is not too bad at all. His record at his past two clubs Olympiacos (64-11-15) and Marseilles (17-17-12) would indicate that he doesn't lose too many matches.

All depends on what CFG are actually looking for. We're a rabble at the moment - couldn't score against a 10-man Wanderers, and coughed up a point in a shameful defeat by Adelaide. IMO we need someone to get a few of our players showing a lot more determination and grit. Don't know enough about Michel to think whether he could do it or not.

Managerial statistics[edit]

As of 20 April 2016
Team Nat From To Record
P W D L Win %
Rayo Vallecano[21] Spain 2005 2006 42 18 15 9 42.86
Real Madrid B[22] Spain 2006 2007 42 13 10 19 30.95
Getafe[23][24][25] Spain 27 April 2009 8 June 2011 101 39 22 40 38.61
Sevilla[26][27] Spain 6 February 2012 14 January 2013 40 16 7 17 40.00
Olympiacos[28][29][30] Greece 1 February 2013 6 January 2015 90 64 11 15 71.11
Marseille[31] France 19 August 2015 19 April 2016 46 17 17 12 36.96
Career Total 361 167 82 112 46.26

He's Mr 46%, the figure greatly boosted by his extraordinary success in Greece, elsewhere he's been ordinary

42 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

He's Mr 46%, the figure greatly boosted by his extraordinary success in Greece, elsewhere he's been ordinary

Heart/City's overall record in regular league matches is 54-46-70. Those numbers would need to be adjusted slightly for Finals and FFA Cup matches for an overall figure, but they are very unimpressive record. It's also not just the "numbers" it's what lies behind the numbers - if we could just stop conceding goals at the death of matches we'd look a lot better. ATM that's what's killing us.