Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

13 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I think that you are onto something but the specific issue with Gameiro is not that he had one ACL injury but two (or is it three?) and therefore the risk increases that he could have another one. Any club will think twice about players with injury history of this magnitude. And in my books I would never sign players with a history of soft tissue injuries or ACLs. Should such players be kept outside of the system? Well the FFA provide for injury replacement and the salary is most likely covered by insurance. However, the idea of a player being able to resume their careers is interesting.

Third ACL. The first two were to his left knee, and this one (September 2016, in a "innocuous incident" in Townsville) is to his right knee. See http://www.a-league.com.au/article/injury-shock-melbourne-city-striker-corey-gameiro-suffers-acl-injury/1uh2z2egvj4421byzh4a6ohzgf

It's very sad for Corey himself of course.  I'm sure that we will provide him with on-going rehabilitation if it is required, but IMO it would be madness for City to re-sign him under these circumstances.

Adelaide United captain Eugene Galekovic to leave club at season’s end

The shock departure of Adelaide United’s longest serving player Eugene Galekovic is imminent and bound to rock the Reds to their foundations at the end of the season.While Marcelo Carrusca’s agent works hard to ensure the Argentine playmaker has options to continue his A-League career next season, Galekovic also appears to be on his way out of the Reds.“My situation is, I’m in season and my agent is dealing with my future right now,’’ Galekovic said. “As a player you’ve got to read in between the lines don’t you?“The club has signed another keeper and my agent will deal with my future and I just want to deal with the rest of the season.“That’s just the way it is right now.“It works both ways, you try to work things out but the club has signed someone else.“Right now I’m worried about Wednesday’s Champions League game.”Adelaide is set to officially unveil Central Coast gloveman Paul Izzo — who was Galekovic’s understudy before gaining A-League experience with the Mariners over the past two seasons — as its new 2017/18 signing. Galekovic will not be short of opportunities at season’s end.

A return to his home city Melbourne is on the cards — possibly Melbourne City rather than his old club, Victory.It’s understood Adelaide is also set to release keeper John Hall after the 22-year-old rejected a first offer to sign a new contract. Galekovic, 35, has played 233 A-League matches for Adelaide after arriving as a short-term injury replacement for then No. 1 shot-stopper Daniel Beltrame in 2007.During his time with the Reds, Galekovic has captained the Reds to last year’s A-League double, played in the 2008 AFC Champions League final and FIFA Club World Cup and the 2009 A-League grand final.He has claimed four A-League goalkeeper-of-the-year awards, won two Adelaide player-of-the- year awards and represented the Socceroos at the 2010 and 2014 FIFA Club World Cups.

Galekovic claims he is now fit to take back the Reds’ No. 1 spot from Daniel Margush for the Champions League clash against Jeju United at Hindmarsh on Wednesday.He has been sidelined with a shoulder injury since facing Izzo’s Mariners in a 1-2 loss in Gosford on February 5.He was forced off the pitch in the 31st minute of the clash.“I have been in full training for about a week or so,’’ Galekovic said.“The shoulder is fine now and I’m looking forward to the Asian Champions League.“We haven’t had a great start in terms of results and it’s our last chance — if we lose then it’s almost over for that as well.“We want to stay in the competition and do everything we can.”Adelaide has lost its opening 2017 Champions League matches without Galekovic — 0-3 to Gamba Osaka at home and 1-2 to Jiangsu Suning away.Jeju United which is top of the K-League after two matches, smashed Ulsan 3-0 on Saturday (Ulsan belted Brisbane Roar 6-0 a fortnight ago) before landing in Adelaide on Monday morning.The side was expected to train at the Croatian Sports Centre on Monday before fronting Hindmarsh for a familiarization session on Tuesday.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/a-league/adelaide-united-captain-gugene-galekovic-to-leave-club-at-seasons-end/news-story/6dde8e810b2bd432d8c975c6607fa23f

Not surprised, heard these rumors a season ago. Unless he'll be cheap, its a no from me.

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

-------------------Galekovic------------------

Franjic-----Jakobsen--Visa------Aus LB

---------------------Kilkenny-------------------

-------Marquee Visa--Caceras(?)-------------

Fitzy---------------Fornaroli---------Brandan(?)

Bench: Bouzanis, Malik, Tonyik, Cahill, Kamau

Reserves: Sozer, Grenau, Muscat, Retre, Arzani

10 minutes ago, haz said:

-------------------Galekovic------------------

Franjic-----Jakobsen--Visa------Aus LB

---------------------Kilkenny-------------------

-------Marquee Visa--Caceras(?)-------------

Fitzy---------------Fornaroli---------Brandan(?)

Bench: Bouzanis, Malik, Tonyik, Cahill, Kamau

Reserves: Sozer, Grenau, Muscat, Retre, Arzani

Wow. 

Brattan is a quality A League midfielder he is a little bit down on form (might be carrying a niggle) but he would be in my squad without a doubt. 

Retre I don't think would hang for another season as a squadie he would look for decent game time I reackon.

Unless you could attract a quality LB most likely Rose would remain and tbf he has been serviceable. 

For me the 2018 squad is dependent on 2 positions. CB and AM. Both must be top top quality and either must be Marquee and the other Visa. Get those positions right the nucleus of the side is very very good.

All of this is pointless without a quality manager. We need someone that is going to come in and turn the club upside down. Everything else is just fidling around the edges.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Wow. 

Brattan is a quality A League midfielder he is a little bit down on form (might be carrying a niggle) but he would be in my squad without a doubt. 

Retre I don't think would hang for another season as a squadie he would look for decent game time I reackon.

Unless you could attract a quality LB most likely Rose would remain and tbf he has been serviceable. 

For me the 2018 squad is dependent on 2 positions. CB and AM. Both must be top top quality and either must be Marquee and the other Visa. Get those positions right the nucleus of the side is very very good.

All of this is pointless without a quality manager. We need someone that is going to come in and turn the club upside down. Everything else is just fidling around the edges.

TBH I don't think Brattan should be in the team next season due to his lack of creativity and slow ball movement. Caceras is a lot more creative and with a quality maquee AM I don't think Brattan is required as a squady seeing we also have some quality youth knocking at the door.

A quality CB is a must, but you are right about no point thinking about it until we get a manager to change everything first.

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Wow. 

That was mostly based just on current contracts, for all we know both Brattan and Caceras might go to New York or Yokohama. I agree Brattan can be a class A-League footballer but his on field attitude is abysmal. In any other team (or sport) Brattan would be dragged because of the amount of effort he puts in.

Agree with Jovan, Playmaker (and others) - I just don't see the point of Michael Petrillo signing players on 2- and 3-year contracts and making other decisions on players in the absence of a manager appointment.

On the GK issue, I'm not sure what we are trying to do. We have already signed Bouzanis for another 3 years, so if that's meant to indicate he's the preferred 'keeper than there's not a lot of point in signing someone of the quality of Galekovic to waste away on the bench for most of a season as we've seen with Sorensen this season. Might as well sign Sozer on minimum wage. And if Bouzanis is not intended as No. 1 then why sign him for 3 years?

3 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

In regards to the GK situation worth remembering that Galekovic is just media speculation.

As to signing new players without the manager, yes seems strange, but I gather it's the "European Way"?

They have a general way of playing so I guess its not that strange that they sign players who suit that mould, as they will probably sign a manager whom wants to play the same way, and thus will be able to use the players already signed as they are supposed to be more adept at playing a possession based attacking style. 

Oh and the Australian talent pool is very low atm so it probably wouldnt matter what AUS players you signed. 

Given how well this club seems to keep information from going public for the most part, I wouldn't be surprised if they already know exactly who's replacing Valkanis and have consulted with them regarding possible recruitment and the types of player that manager wants to bring in.

Regarding Galekovic, if we don't want to use a VISA spot on the Keeper position anymore then there's not a lot else out there to target. He's still a pretty decent keeper anyway, I'd be happy for him and Bouzanis to battle for the spot.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, playmaker said:

TBH I don't think Brattan should be in the team next season due to his lack of creativity and slow ball movement. Caceras is a lot more creative and with a quality maquee AM I don't think Brattan is required as a squady seeing we also have some quality youth knocking at the door.

A quality CB is a must, but you are right about no point thinking about it until we get a manager to change everything first.

The best way to manage Brattan is:

employ a coach who has good man management skills

sign a good alternative player for his position so that he has to fight for his spot

11 minutes ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

Diego Castros and Ben Khalfallahs contracts expires at the end of the season. If colazo is going then we need a LM or another AMF and they both can play both roles. I think it would be stupid to not at least make an offer

Ps. Im back

Both are coming into an age where they will sustain a calf injury and be out for a Germano.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, playmaker said:

I'd like to know on what evidence you believe Caceres is more creative.

2 hours ago, rass said:

I'd like to know on what evidence you believe Caceres is more creative.

It's what I have observed. Brattan doesn't move the ball quickly enough IMO. Caceras on the other hand is a lot quicker with his thinking that results in faster midfield to shot opportunity transition. Brattan tends to hold possession as a priority where Caceres creates and links an attacking move as a priority.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Portillo said:

Is Sorenson leaving confirmed or is it just assumed.

HIs contract ends this year. Highly doubt the club would hang on to a 40 year old visa player. But than again....

In all seriousness though he'll most likely go into a coaching role within CFG.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

There would be enough salt from the other 9 clubs fans to put Saxa out of business. MAKE IT HAPPEN CFG

Even if they didn't play (which at their ages and the hard pitches more likely than not would happen) just the heartburn alone would be worth it.

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Imagine both. Replace Colazo as Marquee and the other visa under cap with some post retirement deal.

No need for shonky deals - one as marquee, the other as a guest - even as guest marquee if we can pressure FFA into it. Drooling at the thought...and that kit Zaballeta is wearing in his Wikipedia article would look nice as our away kit...

Make it all happen CFG.

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

No need for shonky deals - one as marquee, the other as a guest - even as guest marquee if we can pressure FFA into it. Drooling at the thought...and that kit Zaballeta is wearing in his Wikipedia article would look nice as our away kit...

Make it all happen CFG.

Wasn't suggesting a shonky deal. It was more a position after retirement similar to what Cahill is doing next season. But a guest marquee would be even better.

TBF Zabaletta probably has 3 or 4 seasons left at the top or close to left. But Kompany is probably more possible of the 2.

• jw1739 pinned this topic