Melbourne Football

Round 6: City v Central Coast Mariners

Hammerhead

I dont know how i forgot to mention this, but these fucking back passes when we're in positions where we can play it forward is driving me, as well as all who sit near me, insane. I do not understand why the fuck we continually pass the ball backwards and side-to-side, it is so fucking negative and so dull and boring to watch, its fucking disgusting. Shit brand of football we play, compared to the top sides in the league, which is why we will never do nor win anything anytime soon. 

+ WE DO NOT HAVE THE QUALITY OF PLAYERS TO PLAY A FANCY POSSESSION GAME. We're technically inferior compared to other sides, and our players are average at best, and majority should be doing their time in the NPL (or State Leagues for some).

Thats 100% JVS.  Has been since since half way through season 1, all of season 2, then Aloisi did the same.

Melbourne City...

8d4fGoq.gif

- Williams needs to stop being such a fucking moron when it comes to shooting

- City need to learn when to pass forward and when to pass backward

- City also need to toughen up mentally

To cop two goals in the last ten minutes, against a lesser opponent, is pathetic. It bordered on the absurd.

And yet, I knew it was going to happen. Virtually every City supporter knew it was going to happen. 

I thought Melling was good. He is a terrier. Works hard and gets shit done. We need more players like him. 

Melbourne City...

8d4fGoq.gif

- Williams needs to stop being such a fucking moron when it comes to shooting

- City need to learn when to pass forward and when to pass backward

- City also need to toughen up mentally

To cop two goals in the last ten minutes, against a lesser opponent, is pathetic. It bordered on the absurd.

And yet, I knew it was going to happen. Virtually every City supporter knew it was going to happen. 

I thought Melling was good. He is a terrier. Works hard and gets shit done. We need more players like him. 

Its still early.  We'll take that out of him soon enough.  The mental weakness is like a an infection.

I dont know how i forgot to mention this, but these fucking back passes when we're in positions where we can play it forward is driving me, as well as all who sit near me, insane. I do not understand why the fuck we continually pass the ball backwards and side-to-side, it is so fucking negative and so dull and boring to watch, its fucking disgusting. Shit brand of football we play, compared to the top sides in the league, which is why we will never do nor win anything anytime soon. 

+ WE DO NOT HAVE THE QUALITY OF PLAYERS TO PLAY A FANCY POSSESSION GAME. We're technically inferior compared to other sides, and our players are average at best, and majority should be doing their time in the NPL (or State Leagues for some).

Thats 100% JVS.  Has been since since half way through season 1, all of season 2, then Aloisi did the same. Never this badly though (well from what i can remember) And this is again why JVS should fuck off already. So much rubbish

Honestly, I thought we were ridiculously unlucky today.

Yes, we have issues, very obvious ones. Kisnorbo had plenty of opportunities to play the ball forward and continually went back to Redmayne. I thought Miller was supposed to be Mooy's replacement, not Redmayne?

Defensively, we do far too much chasing and don't have the same organisation as Central Coast Mariners. We may have gotten away with it for the first 80 minutes but our team structure doesn't look particularly sustainable. JVS needs to fix this soon. And our midfield, without Mooy, looks completely frightened of the ball (maybe it wasn't all Kisnorbo's fault?).

However, in my opinion the CCM deserved nothing from the game and hardly tested Redmayne at all. We were first undone with a piece of individual brilliance, and I thought we responded to that CCM goal well. The CCM didn't have a sniff for the following ten minutes until injury time when we randomly decided to start dropping really deep. I genuinely thought we'd hold on though, we were coping better than usual...and as a member who was at every game last season that's saying something!

I feel completely gutted, like everyone. But I don't think we should overreact to this result. It's easy to say "typical Heart/City" and things like that but at the end of the day we were denied by an insane free kick and a very good equaliser at the worst possible time. I'd be more inclined to say, "typical Mariners". 

Honestly, I thought we were ridiculously unlucky today.

Yes, we have issues, very obvious ones. Kisnorbo had plenty of opportunities to play the ball forward and continually went back to Redmayne. I thought Miller was supposed to be Mooy's replacement, not Redmayne?

Defensively, we do far too much chasing and don't have the same organisation as Central Coast Mariners. We may have gotten away with it for the first 80 minutes but our team structure doesn't look particularly sustainable. JVS needs to fix this soon. And our midfield, without Mooy, looks completely frightened of the ball (maybe it wasn't all Kisnorbo's fault?).

However, in my opinion the CCM deserved nothing from the game and hardly tested Redmayne at all. We were first undone with a piece of individual brilliance, and I thought we responded to that CCM goal well. The CCM didn't have a sniff for the following ten minutes until injury time when we randomly decided to start dropping really deep. I genuinely thought we'd hold on though, we were coping better than usual...and as a member who was at every game last season that's saying something!

I feel completely gutted, like everyone. But I don't think we should overreact to this result. It's easy to say "typical Heart/City" and things like that but at the end of the day we were denied by an insane free kick and a very good equaliser at the worst possible time. I'd be more inclined to say, "typical Mariners".

I can handle the fact that a quality free kick over the wall is always a possiblity but what sticks in the claw is the inability to punish the opponent when chances go begging - Willo's crowd killer for instance - and the lack of organisation and 'heart' at the very moment when you just know that the game is on the line. We should have easily been 4:0 up by half time FFS. Edited by HEARTinator

Fuk this shit

Same same same vomit every week

Ccm where clueless and WE fuked it up by getting spooked after their first goal then by sitting way too deep...

Mental weakness plaguing this club every year.

When does ice hockey season start

Edited by Jestr

3 minutes of extra time shown by the fourth official yet the Hutchinson goal was listed as 94th minute.

No substitutes or injuries to justify the extra minute of extra time IMHO so why did the game go even close to 94 is beyond me.

The rookie referee (yes it was his FIRST ever A-League game) didn't have a good one with two dubious decisions that led to both Mariners goals.

the ref is entitled to allow play to go on if a goal can be scored, 3 minutes is only ever a rough indication not always the exact time

I think the problem we all have is that we have seen this too often. How many times must we surrender a lead? We turn three points into one and one point into none alarmingly frequently. 

It's all well and good to say that we played well but were unlucky. I agree with you. We knocked it around well, created chances and converted two. At the end of the day though - and this is what matters - we didn't walk away with three points. 

It's as simple as that. We choked. It's in our DNA. And we are over it. 

• Like 1

dominate sydney - draw

dominate newcastle - draw
lead vs adelaide - lose

lead twice vs victory - lose by 3

hold on vs brisbane - thing called an away win

lead by 2 vs ccm - draw

it's not good enough from the players and the staff, it's not even close to being professional

City group better be paying attention 

• Like 2

"I think the problem we all have is that we have seen this too often. How many times must we surrender a lead? We turn three points into one and one point into none alarmingly frequently. "

I agree with you entirely. I can still remember how bad the two games in Adelaide felt last season. And of course the last derby. And yes, time and time again we don't look like holding on, we cave in and look incredibly shoddy, and it's painfully predictable.

I just think that today it didn't really apply as much, I genuinely felt that bad luck was our undoing.

Edited by AzureKingfisher

"I think the problem we all have is that we have seen this too often. How many times must we surrender a lead? We turn three points into one and one point into none alarmingly frequently. "

I agree with you entirely. I can still remember how bad the two games in Adelaide felt last season. And of course the last derby. And yes, time and time again we don't look like holding on, we cave in and look incredibly shoddy, and it's painfully predictable.

I just think that today it didn't really apply as much, I genuinely felt that bad luck was our undoing.

Using luck as to why we lost is just bullshit mate.

we had 22 shots at goal. 22! You can use this bullshit luck excuse as to why we drew today, or actually admit that heart cost themselves the game.

3 minutes of extra time shown by the fourth official yet the Hutchinson goal was listed as 94th minute.

No substitutes or injuries to justify the extra minute of extra time IMHO so why did the game go even close to 94 is beyond me.

The rookie referee (yes it was his FIRST ever A-League game) didn't have a good one with two dubious decisions that led to both Mariners goals.

the ref is entitled to allow play to go on if a goal can be scored, 3 minutes is only ever a rough indication not always the exact time

Watching the replay Hutchinson strikes at 93:02, not in the 94th minute. Nothing to complain about here.

Thats 100% JVS. Has been since since half way through season 1, all of season 2, then Aloisi did the same.

Yeah we were passing it around and around at the back for about a minute there in the first half, just boot forward ffs

Watching the replay Hutchinson strikes at 93:02, not in the 94th minute. Nothing to complain about here.

Not that it actually matters, but that is the 94th minute.. :)

• Like 1

dominate sydney - draw

lead vs adelaide - lose

lead by 2 vs ccm - draw

it's not good enough from the players and the staff, it's not even close to being professional

And if you add the tail end of last seasons results onto that...

dominate sydney - draw

lead vs adelaide - lose

lead by 2 vs ccm - draw

Then go through all our results under JVS's first two seasons in charge.

Notice anything?

Not that it actually matters, but that is the 94th minute.. :)

Woops! Forgot that you round up the minute. :oops:

Still 2 seconds in is hardly a poor decision.

TBH thought over the course of the game the ref was spot on with most of his calls.

dominate sydney - draw

lead vs adelaide - lose

lead by 2 vs ccm - draw

Then go through all our results under JVS's first two seasons in charge.

Notice anything? And then, there are wsw, bunch of mostly B graders only 2 years old.

Let's compare overall achievements in those 2 years

RE: FIRST GOAL

CCM position of free kick on the re-take was incorrect.

The free kick SHOULD have been retaken from the SAME SPOT as a result on encroachment.

Our wall started about 1m in front of the D, but on the re-take we were practically in the 18 yard box.

The referee was stooged by CCM, and the players were soo dumb to not even question it.

Anyone able to list footage to show the others?

The free kick SHOULD have been retaken from the SAME SPOT as a result on encroachment.

Our wall started about 1m in front of the D, but on the re-take we were practically in the 18 yard box.

The referee was stooged by CCM, and the players were soo dumb to not even question it.

Don't know the exact rule. Though from watching on T.V the retake was taken 10 yards closer.

Agreee, But what's done is done. Id like to say I want the players to learn from this but will they? Time and time again we fail to hold onto leads. The commentary kept saying CITYS 2nd half fade outs and at 2-0 up I thought show em their wrong city. But they showed them why they are right. CLEAR THE BALL DAMMIT!!

this is not to blame for us drawing

we threw away the game

we should have realistically been 4 -0 by the time they scored there first goal 

it's our own fault that we couldn't shut out the game

Is it JVS's fault or the players ???

Both are to blame

For what it's worth I thought Miller did a great job, for his first ( & only ? ) match

we threw away the game

Both are to blame

For what it's worth I thought Miller did a great job, for his first ( & only ? ) match

I never said that - but the free kick was taken from the wrong spot! THAT IS A FACT.

The additional 8-10 yards made the shot at goal easier. THAT IS A FACT.

The referee was wrong. THAT IS A FACT.

We blew a 2-0 lead. THAT IS A FACT.

The fact is their first goal was from a retaken free kick - not taken in the correct spot.

Well it would be up to our captain to be awake to that and approach the ref and tell him::" You've moved the ball 10 yards closer mate".

I've seen refs take the ball back even if it were a foot further forward for where the free kick was given, so I don't what the ref was doing in this game.

Edited by Kiro Kompiro

we threw away the game

Both are to blame

I never said that - but the free kick was taken from the wrong spot! THAT IS A FACT.

The fact is their first goal was from a retaken free kick - not taken in the correct spot.

I think the 2nd free kick was taken from the place where the "offence" took place

ie an appeal for hand ball

I think Melling's arm was up and it caught him on the bicep, hence the free kick being taken from there

whether or not it was handball is debateable, but thats why the free kick was from that position

Edited by japiedog

we threw away the game

Both are to blame

I think the 2nd free kick was taken from the place where the "offence" took place

ie an appeal for hand ball

I think Melling's arm was up and it caught him on the bicep, hence the free kick being taken from there

whether or not it was handball is debateable, but thats why the free kick was from that position

That's correct. The second free-kick was for a hand-ball. A bit stiff when the ball is blasted straight at you.

But let's not look for excuses. The trend is there, the pattern is there. We blew it. Leading 2-0 and even 2-1 and we cannot close out a match with only minutes/seconds remaining. We've seen it time and time again.

Our blokes cannot last 95 minutes, either physically or mentally. And our head coach has a woeful track record. Opposition players and coaches all know that by now and they plan accordingly, and by and large they get it right.

• Like 2

Don't know if it has been touched on, but why the hell was Melling in the wall for their first goal? As they were lining up I could already see that it would be curled over the top of his head and into the top corner. The guy is knee height to a grasshopper and if you saw him on the outside of the wall when taking a freekick your eyes would light up.

commentary suggested encroachment. Twitter feeds suggested the same.  The first i heard about handball was here.

If that was for hand ball then that decision was not conclusive from the tv viewing.

I find it hard to believe it was handball from a player standing on the wall.

But if it is handball i accept the position of the retake.

The referee didn't cost us the game. But someone did?????

Weird watching their first goal from directly behind Trifiro.

I'm not sure how well positioned that wall was because there seemed to be acres of space to their left and hence to Redmayne's left, which is probably why he was guarding that side more.

..but having said that, there also seemed to be plenty of space over the wall and to the keeper's right.

It just looked like it was always going to be a goal from the moment he stepped up.

I think the problem we all have is that we have seen this too often. How many times must we surrender a lead? We turn three points into one and one point into none alarmingly frequently. 

It's all well and good to say that we played well but were unlucky. I agree with you. We knocked it around well, created chances and converted two. At the end of the day though - and this is what matters - we didn't walk away with three points. 

It's as simple as that. We choked. It's in our DNA. And we are over it. 

Couldn't agree more. Again, I walk out of AAMI utterly embarrassed to call myself a member of this club.

It's a double-whammy. Our players have absolutely no confidence in being able to hang on to a lead (and apparently no idea as to actually how they should go about achieving that) and the opposition knows that we are a mentally weak team and it is always a chance to steal a result from us. When Dugandzic put the first one in and even when Paartalu made it 2-0, how many of us had confidence that we would be able to keep the Mariners out for the rest of the game? I'd say roughly nil.

For those that follow the AFL, I'm a Geelong man. There's a interesting stat that I came across last year that from a period roughly from mid-2006 (when the Cats coughed up a 50+ point lead at home to West Coast) and mid-2013 (when they did the same against Brisbane) - about seven years - Geelong never lost a game that it had led at any stage by more than 20-odd points. I thought that was amazing and I've often thought that record, even if no-one was aware of it (I don't think many people were) must have had an effect, not just on Geelong, but on the opposition, that once they got down by 30 points, they subconsciously knew they were done. And ever since Brisbane broke that streak, the Cats have been susceptible to letting leads slip away, partly - I'm convinced - because teams believe that always have a chance when they have a mid-range sort of deficit, when they wouldn't have in the past.

And when you apply that to Heart/City, it's not hard to see where the issue is. If the game is in the 80th minute and the opponent is a goal down, its players are probably, not just hoping, but expecting to get a point out of the game. If the game is level, the opponent is probably expecting to win, whereas, against teams that have a solid track record of grinding out results, they just wouldn't quite have that same level of belief. And our players go into panic mode. Every. Single. Time.

As for the missed opportunities, I don't really mean to pot the kid, but what was the deal with Marino's? He actually looked shocked when Duff's ball crashed straight into him (and it was such an exquisite cross that he still had time to collect himself and get a shot away). Just curious...where did he think Duff was going to put it from that position? Even if he wasn't there, it was realistically the only option that Duff had: to hit it to precisely that spot and hope that a City player would run on to it.

• Like 1