Melbourne Football

RD 4 City V Adelaide 7:30pm Friday 31st October.

Dylan

I'm worried for both the turn out and the on field result.

The derby was a huge let down and confidence drainer for us, and it's the last thing we needed to be reminded of the deficiencies of our clubs ability to perform.

I wouldn't worry about that. Villa's (possible/probable) last appearance will draw a fair contingent of theatre goers. Combined with the Friday night timeslot, I'd be shocked if it didn't get 10k+

Based on our performances this season there's no reason to indicate that we should win this one, despite playing at home. 

Adelaide is a quality outfit and are balanced across the park, call me pessimistic but I can see us losing this by 2-3 goals

This team needs to pace itself. We can't afford to play the first half hour of the game at 110% and then play at 50% for the rest of the game, it simply won't work against any team, let alone an in-form Adelaide. If we can play at a high level and consistent pace during the game, I think we can pull the upset this week. 

We need to clean up some defensive issues also. Some of the goals we have given up this season has simply been sloppy, poor defending (Berisha's goal to open the second half) and brain-fades (the penalty.) Can't get caught out on the counter-attack also.

And finally, while we may control possession (51% possession in round 1, 62% possession in round 2, 45% possession in round 3 (although would like to see the first half possession count)), we simply aren't making that possession count. As crazy as this may sound, this team sometimes is too un-selfish. Sometimes, instead of making an extra pass, we need to have a crack. Plus, we don't always have to score from that shot. It can always lead to a corner, defection, rebound to one of our other players etc etc.  

This team needs to pace itself. We can't afford to play the first half hour of the game at 110% and then play at 50% for the rest of the game, it simply won't work against any team, let alone an in-form Adelaide. If we can play at a high level and consistent pace during the game, I think we can pull the upset this week.

We need to clean up some defensive issues also. Some of the goals we have given up this season has simply been sloppy, poor defending (Berisha's goal to open the second half) and brain-fades (the penalty.) Can't get caught out on the counter-attack also.

And finally, while we may control possession (51% possession in round 1, 62% possession in round 2, 45% possession in round 3 (although would like to see the first half possession count)), we simply aren't making that possession count. As crazy as this may sound, this team sometimes is too un-selfish. Sometimes, instead of making an extra pass, we need to have a crack. Plus, we don't always have to score from that shot. It can always lead to a corner, defection, rebound to one of our other players etc etc.

Posession game plan works if you have the cattle with high technical ability who know how to move the ball quickly forward not sideways or worse backwards, loosing momentum.

Physical ability to do it for 90min is just too hard, unless you have a couple of goals advantage and can then park the bus

Look at Arnold who defeated roar 2:0 with 30% possession.

A league level and possession without penetration is useless.

And finally, while we may control possession (51% possession in round 1, 62% possession in round 2, 45% possession in round 3 (although would like to see the first half possession count)), we simply aren't making that possession count. As crazy as this may sound, this team sometimes is too un-selfish. Sometimes, instead of making an extra pass, we need to have a crack. Plus, we don't always have to score from that shot. It can always lead to a corner, defection, rebound to one of our other players etc etc.

Posession game plan works if you have the cattle with high technical ability who know how to move the ball quickly forward not sideways or worse backwards, loosing momentum.

Physical ability to do it for 90min is just too hard, unless you have a couple of goals advantage and can then park the bus

That is true and I agree but when we do attack and penetrate, we haven't looked like scoring, due to too much passing, poor passing and some poor decision making. Of course we have seen some great attacks, but not enough, with the talent this team has.

To me, it has looked like for the beginning of the season, we get enough of the ball to do damage, but we waste it a lot of the time 

It is a myth that teams can't press for 90 minutes (below 30 Celsius of course) it is one of the hardest thing to do but it can be done. If they can't press for 90 then the fitness and conditioning coach needs to be sacked.

Edited by JoyfulPenguin
  • Like 1

It is a myth that teams can't press for 90 minutes (below 30 Celsius of course) it is one of the hardest thing to do but it can be done. If they can't press for 90 then the fitness and conditioning coach needs to be sacked.

Very good point but from what we have seen so far this season, City have been caught sleeping and being lazy at times. Could it be something with the fitness teams? Who knows

That is true and I agree but when we do attack and penetrate, we haven't looked like scoring, due to too much passing, poor passing and some poor decision making. Of course we have seen some great attacks, but not enough, with the talent this team has.

To me, it has looked like for the beginning of the season, we get enough of the ball to do damage, but we waste it a lot of the time

Agree, this was most evident against the Jets. We would go on the counter but would constantly send it out wide which would eventuate to nothing

Agree, this was most evident against the Jets. We would go on the counter but would constantly send it out wide which would eventuate to nothing

Exactly. And a lot of the times during the Jets game, someone would have a good shot at goal and then pass it...need to take the shots when they're there. 

I disagree on a small point, it isn't so much that we waste possession, it's that we waste most of the limited opportunities that come with our possession.

I disagree on a small point, it isn't so much that we waste possession, it's that we waste most of the limited opportunities that come with our possession.

I agree man. We don't look threatening in front of goal do we

Last season V AU:

3-3, 2-2, 2-2 ... Again three games we lead and should have won.

So at least Friday night will have goals and entertainment, whether of not our useless pricks play 90 mins or not. I think Adelaide are the team to beat but we have also matched up well V Gombau.

Hopefully Mauk & Marino in the match day squad. Not sure if 45 & 60 mins in NYL is enough for Germano & Gooch coming back from injury.

Looking forward as always to this game, love the friday night time slot, great way to start the weekend IMO. Just a pity more of our away games aren't on fridays like last season with the SBS coverage.

On that note I wonder how the live fta tv coverage will effect the local turnout, heres hoping the weather holds up.